Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 20:31   #24391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The ZUK Z2 is launching in India soon but it will be called Lenovo Z2 Plus.
I was waiting for this phone for a long time since it meets all my requirements.

Good hardware - it got SD820, 4 GB RAM
Minimum 32 GB storage - this one got 64 GB.
5" screen - check
Good battery life - this comes with 3500 mah battery.

Only thing unknown is the camera quality and the user interface. Hopefully, should not be a deal breaker.

I would have got the MI5 but did not buy it because of some complaints like poor 4G connectivity/sub par camera and battery life.

The ZUK Z2 should be a big hit if it is launched around 20-22K. Basically, it will be similar to Oneplus 3, slightly smaller in size but with a bigger battery. The new 5" Nexus will be a very good option as well but I expect it to be priced well above 30K.
Old 30th August 2016, 20:45   #24392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
The Redmi arrived in two days after the flash sale. The first impressions are that it's got excellent battery life, it's decently quick (on paper) and its got a horrible camera..

The UI is pretty terribly laggy so hoping for the miui 8 upgrade soon.
Hey, is this the 3S or 3S Prime?

Flipkart has another flash sale coming up tomorrow at 12 PM for the Redmi 3S Prime and I am in two minds if I should order this or something else! I intend to gift a no-frills smartphone for my wife and she doesn't use it for any fancy apps.

And how easy is it to get one during the flash sale? Do the stocks get exhausted quickly like those IRCTC tatkal tickets?
Old 30th August 2016, 20:49   #24393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Flipkart has another flash sale coming up tomorrow at 12 PM for the Redmi 3S Prime and I am in two minds if I should order this or something else! I intend to gift a no-frills smartphone for my wife and she doesn't use it for any fancy apps.

And how easy is it to get one during the flash sale? Do the stocks get exhausted quickly like those IRCTC tatkal tickets?
This is the Prime.

It gets over super quick. I was logged in ahead of time and remembered about the flash sale just a few seconds before but it was pretty easy.

Give it a shot if you have a bit of time tomorrow but don't break your head over trying to score one. It's not worth that much. You're probably better off with the Redmi Note 3. I think the processor is slightly better.
Old 30th August 2016, 21:23   #24394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
This is the Prime.

It gets over super quick. I was logged in ahead of time and remembered about the flash sale just a few seconds before but it was pretty easy.

Give it a shot if you have a bit of time tomorrow but don't break your head over trying to score one. It's not worth that much. You're probably better off with the Redmi Note 3. I think the processor is slightly better.
Thanks man! Appreciate the super quick response.

Dad got himself a Lenovo Vibe K5 Note which has some 3 GB RAM and I was seriously impressed with the build quality, display and the UI (butter smooth if I can put it that way) when I saw it last weekend. It's a bit wide and there's a smaller Vibe K5 3 GB (link) but the downside being Android Lollipop that this device comes with. She can live without a fingerprint sensor as well. But can't really complain for Rs 8.5k!
Old 30th August 2016, 21:50   #24395
BHPian

Quote:

Dad got himself a Lenovo Vibe K5 Note which has some 3 GB RAM and I was seriously impressed with the build quality, display and the UI (butter smooth if I can put it that way) when I saw it last weekend. It's a bit wide and there's a smaller Vibe K5 3 GB (link) but the downside being Android Lollipop that this device comes with. She can live without a fingerprint sensor as well. But can't really complain for Rs 8.5k!
The fingerprint sensor on the Redmi is actually faster than that on my S7.
Old 30th August 2016, 22:00   #24396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The next range of Nexus phones are supposed to hit the markets by end of next month. Wouldn't the prices for Nexus 6P fall further once they are launched?

I have myself been suing the Nexus 5 from the day of its launch, until 2 months back when I managed to break its screen. I had a used Iphone 5 lying spare at home and hence thought of giving that a try rather that getting the screen repaired on the Nexus 5, more so since I was planning to buy a new phone this year anyways. Currently I am sold on the Note 7 but then reading your post has made me think again. I have never bought a phone above Rs. 30k till date ( a sort of self imposition) but this time the Note 7 is tempting me to spend almost double that amount. Confused!
The note7 is really tempting, but now there are hardware issues like scratches and stuck s pen coming up. Any software issue can hopefully be later fixed. I also cannot justify this amount. So, it is definitely out. I was think about the galaxy s7 (non edge) at the moment. After reading some recent posts here, it might make sense to wait for the next nexus and getting that (Hopefully the nexus will come in 128GB version as historically they have never added an SD card slot). (I have never owned a galaxy or a nexus till date. owned xperia's and LGs though)
Old 30th August 2016, 22:05   #24397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If the Redmi 3S is laggy, then get the Redmi Note 3. Just as horrible camera but outstanding lag-free behavior. No complaints from this ex-iPhone user
Old 30th August 2016, 22:06   #24398
BHPian

Quote:

She can live without a fingerprint sensor as well. But can't really complain for Rs 8.5k!
hi Gannu_1, I suggest going forward, pick phone with fingerprint sensor and please don't skip this feature.

I have Moto X Play and recently picked up Redmi Note3 for my wife. Fingerprint sensor in redmi is pretty responsive and waking up & unlocking directly is actually very convenient. Especially Redmi is available for 9K (10k - 10% flipkart citibank discount) is bang for the buck.

Now I feel manually unlocking Moto X play to be very boring and planning for upgrade soon
Old 30th August 2016, 22:58   #24399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
After reading some recent posts here, it might make sense to wait for the next nexus and getting that (Hopefully the nexus will come in 128GB version as historically they have never added an SD card slot). (I have never owned a galaxy or a nexus till date. owned xperia's and LGs though)
My first smartphone was the Galaxy S2 and trust me it was one of the best phones I have owned. I used it for almost 2.5 years and then passed it to my dad who used it for another 1.5 years before we exchanged it for a new phone. My second phone was the Nexus 5 and although I missed few parts of the Samsung touchwiz ( Yes i like it unlike the majority of the people) it was a good feeling to get all updates before anyone else.

In all due probability I will pick the Note 7. I usually keep my phones for long and the Note 7 is just too tempting. These small issues will be there in all the phones if you want to nitpick.
Old 30th August 2016, 23:27   #24400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
These small issues will be there in all the phones if you want to nitpick.
You are very correct. There is no perfect phone. Each phone will have some things against it. The note7 is fabulous with very little cons. It is the "go-to" phone in the market. Get it. Let us know what you think about this device.
Old 31st August 2016, 09:05   #24401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin
What I need from next phone

Must

1. 5 or 5.5 inch
2. 3500mah battery or above ( roughly 36 hours of battery backup with my usage)
3. dual sim + SD card slot (no hybrid slot)
4. Budget of 9-12k.
5. Marshmallow or higher

Prefer
1. Availability of OS upgrades and close to stock Android. If not availability in CyanogenMod.
2. decent Camera
3. decent hardware which support future android versions
4. Elegant design than flashy one (subjective, for eg not a fan of Motorola design)
5. Availability of hard cases.

Appreciate if you can suggest the models which are closer to my requirement. I am not in a hurry to buy, plan to get one in next 1-3 months time.
ASUS zenphone Max .with the 410 snapdragon chipset.period.

Marshmallow
Largest battery
UI / custom apps better than xiaomi
USB otg.
Power bank.
Above average camera.laser autofocus.
Hard cases available.

The newer 630 chipset is octacore due to marketing reasons .according to reviews it has less battery life than the previous chipset.

I just bought one and I'm happy with the stock setup after uninstalling /disabling a few apps.

It can be had for 8k on sale /coupons sometimes.I got mine for 9 k and put a 64 GB micro sd in it and bought a 64 GB pendrive . All within your budget for a very decent work machine.I attend presentations/lectures a lot and take extensive photographs of slides .Then I transfer pics to my PC to work on summaries etc.

Xiaomi redmi 3s is a strong contender.but ASUS is offering 5 GB of web storage for lifetime. And 100 GB Google drive space for 2 years free.It makes a compelling package.

Last edited by drsingh : 31st August 2016 at 09:07.
Old 31st August 2016, 20:03   #24402
Senior - BHPian

Some great offers going on One Plus 3 in Amazon. 12 month Accident protection, 500 rupees of Kindle Store money, 1000 Cashback for ICICI Bank Credit Cards, upto 2350 in Gift Card for EMI purchase.

Tempting for me now. Somebody put an argument against it, please
Old 31st August 2016, 21:44   #24403
BHPian

Sorry OT, but I tried the apple music app on android and man, they have some serious collection of music. Not that it was totally unexpected, but gaana and wynk just don't come anywhere in the vicinity of collection put out by apple. Three month free-trial got the better of me, though I'm not complaining.

I'm an android fanboy so this was a first for me. Forgive me android gods!
Old 31st August 2016, 22:15   #24404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Sorry OT, but I tried the apple music app on android and man, they have some serious collection of music. Not that it was totally unexpected, but gaana and wynk just don't come anywhere in the vicinity of collection put out by apple. Three month free-trial got the better of me, though I'm not complaining.

I'm an android fanboy so this was a first for me. Forgive me android gods!
Have subscribed about 3 weeks back and apple music is just great at this price point. Great collection of music and the same login can be used on itunes to listen to the music on PC.
Old 31st August 2016, 22:27   #24405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Some great offers going on One Plus 3 in Amazon. 12 month Accident protection, 500 rupees of Kindle Store money, 1000 Cashback for ICICI Bank Credit Cards, upto 2350 in Gift Card for EMI purchase.

Tempting for me now. Somebody put an argument against it, please

Apologies for back to back posts.

I'd say wait for nexus if you are willing to spend 20+ on a phone. Most of the offers that you are getting are going to make you spend more. They are there for distraction.

Nexus phones are for the long run, even when they are not supported officially. Aftermarket support for nexus is simply amazing. I have velocity rom (MM) on my N4 and man it flies with 2x in animation settings. This is when I bought my N4 almost after a year or more of its launch.

I want to use my nex more often but then as you mentioned (for N5), battery is the sore point.

Last edited by lordvader : 31st August 2016 at 22:30.

Most Viewed