Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2016, 00:36   #24436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just wanted to inform fellow members about the huge price difference in price of the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge between India and Dubai.

Got one from Dubai last week, costed me 38000 in INR. No Indian warranty obviously.
Old 12th September 2016, 01:02   #24437
Senior - BHPian

Mum's using the Redmi Note 3 & is OK with the shade. It's also got Reliance's Jio SIM & the net speeds are :
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160912005811_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png

The Battery life is nice. Though its still on Android Lollipop, which wasn't draining my Mi3s' battery like Marshmallow does. I don't plan to upgrade to MiUI8 even though I've got the message.

The screen already got a tiny scratch. I thought it had atleast some resistance, but seems my Mi3 was better! Hope the tempered glass screen protector is delivered by tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyf1 View Post
Did anyone hear about the battery exploding issues of Note 7? ...?
Yes it is.

The recall will probably take a while to execute fully at the ASC's, but I guess safe batteries will be used for assembling by a month or so.

I would recommend that you wait it out since any work on the device done would not be as good as factory finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Singapore airlines have banned this from being onboard. Wonder how they will enforce it, nightmare scenario.
IIRC I read in the newspaper yesterday that using the Note7 has been banned on ALL flights from BIAL / Bangalore Airport. Complete switch off is compulsory i.e. you're not allowed to use it even on flight mode during the journey.

I'm not sure if most airlines cabin crew are going to implement the rule strictly.
Old 12th September 2016, 01:13   #24438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Mum's using the Redmi Note 3 & is OK with the shade. It's also got Reliance's Jio SIM & the net speeds are :
Attachment 1553092
Those speeds are worse than 3g. Checkout my Airtel speeds:
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1473623001831.jpg  

Old 12th September 2016, 10:07   #24439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Singapore airlines have banned this from being onboard. Wonder how they will enforce it, nightmare scenario.
It's been banned on Indian flights too. And some other countries like US, Japan, Australia, UAE. In India I think they had not started shipping yet and have held them back for now.
Old 12th September 2016, 10:42   #24440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
It's been banned on Indian flights too. And some other countries like US, Japan, Australia, UAE. In India I think they had not started shipping yet and have held them back for now.
Yes. Samsung has asked all its note 7 customers to stop using the mobile and switch it off. They can walk to the nearest service center and get a loaner phone till their replacement note 7 is shipped or get an s7 or s7 edge and the difference will be refunded
Old 13th September 2016, 19:28   #24441
BHPian

For an average user who is not into gaming, does Redmi 3s 16gb variant at 7k make more sense ? Any feedback on the RAM management would help. How heavy is MIUI ? Do apps reload whilst switching ? With just 2gb RAM on board does performance and multitasking deteriorate over time ?
Old 13th September 2016, 19:37   #24442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
For an average user who is not into gaming, does Redmi 3s 16gb variant at 7k make more sense ? Any feedback on the RAM management would help. How heavy is MIUI ? Do apps reload whilst switching ? With just 2gb RAM on board does performance and multitasking deteriorate over time ?
My mom and brother are using Mi4i which has 2gb RAM and 16gb storage for the past 1.5 years. There has been no issues with multi tasking so far and with about 6 apps open in the background i have seen that there is almost 500mb of free RAM available. If you are not into heavy duty gaming etc, the 2gb version might just work out. I am using the Redmi Note 3 pro with 3gb RAM and with 8 apps open in the background there is around 1gb of free RAM available. MIUI is a heavy skin and most dont like the UI though I am kinda used to it and have started liking it. Redmi Note 3 is my first android primary phone as I was on a blackberry all this while. So other android users with experience using pure android and MIUI might also chip in with their comments.
Old 14th September 2016, 01:14   #24443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
The fingerprint sensor on the Redmi is actually faster than that on my S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
If the Redmi 3S is laggy, then get the Redmi Note 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
hi Gannu_1, I suggest going forward, pick phone with fingerprint sensor and please don't skip this feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Good luck and enjoy!
Guys,

I loved the Redmi 3S Prime (which was ordered for the missus) so much, I went ahead and placed another order for a dark grey 32 GB version last week during the flash sale and got through after a dozen tries! It will replace the Lumia 920. No gender inequality either!

I can't believe the Android OS has matured so much or I've been living under a rock all this while! The OS has become so damn intuitive and tracks a whole lot of things with the data stored in the cloud. For instance, the calendar neatly synced my upcoming trips and on the day I was traveling, it alerted me to depart early to avoid the traffic during the rush hour. I had ordered some stuff from eBay and Google was indicating the status of the consignments (Dispatched, Estimated Arrival: xx, Arriving Today etc).

The battery life is insane! I did a complete charge after receiving the device using the supplied 2A charger and did not have to charge it for that day and the next day until night when I plugged it after it showed some 12% remaining. This was after the regular usage of browsing, mails and WhatsApp. OTOH, I had to put my Lumia 920 for charging every night.

The only downside was the contacts - after syncing my gmail and Outlook accounts, it showed some 1500+ contacts and I had to weed out the unwanted ones. The fingerprint sensor is super quick to respond and I like the fact that it unlocks the device without pressing the power button to wake it up from standby.

I did not want to buy the Redmi Note 3 since I couldn't hold and operate it with one hand. It was a wee bit wider. This one is sleeker in that aspect.

For Rs 9000, I have no complaints really and hereafter, I've decided not to spend more than 15k for a smartphone. I spent 36k for the 920 on the launch day and then after the OS went downhill with no app support; the overall experience wasn't really good so to say except maybe the cam.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-wp_20160914_01_02_06_pro.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-wp_20160914_01_02_44_pro.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-wp_20160914_01_02_56_pro.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Spotted this at the Delhi IGI airport near the check-in counters:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-wp_20160911_13_40_02_pro.jpg
Old 14th September 2016, 01:41   #24444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I can't believe the Android OS has matured so much or I've been living under a rock all this while! The OS has become so damn intuitive and tracks a whole lot of things with the data stored in the cloud. For instance, the calendar neatly synced my upcoming trips and on the day I was traveling, it alerted me to depart early to avoid the traffic during the rush hour. I had ordered some stuff from eBay and Google was indicating the status of the consignments (Dispatched, Estimated Arrival: xx, Arriving Today etc).
Yep... Given half a chance, Google is utterly intusive. How does it get away with it? By actually being useful!

I block ads. I do not want to see a google search bar on my home screen (but don't mind a long press on a button starting google when I want it). I trip up some of Google's intrusive behaviour. But gone are the days of loosing all my contacts with a lost phone, and I cannot believe it when I still hear people say that. Google knows where I am, every minute of the day: my side of the bargain is that My Timeline in Google Maps is also my diary.

Yes, I've sold my soul for Android. Well, almost...
Old 14th September 2016, 06:25   #24445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that the extra 2k gets you peace of mind. Please remember MIUI has its own apps to run as well. 2k over 2-3 years is hardly any cost IMHO. I would suggest the 3GB RAM version anyday. NO ONE ever regretted this minor "upgrade".
Old 14th September 2016, 09:38   #24446
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the next Xperia phone is the ultimate camera phone possible, with a 23 megapixel, laser-autofocus, 5 axis stabilization, temperature controlled colour optimization sensor, and a 12 mp front facing camera. The back and sides are anodized aluminium (Alkaleido), and perhaps the most beautiful design from a Sony, ever. I'll be keeping my eyes open for this one, releasing in India next month.

Old 14th September 2016, 11:00   #24447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
My mom and brother are using Mi4i which has 2gb RAM and 16gb storage for the past 1.5 years. There has been no issues with multi tasking so far and with about 6 apps open in the background i have seen that there is almost 500mb of free RAM available. If you are not into heavy duty gaming etc, the 2gb version might just work out. I am using the Redmi Note 3 pro with 3gb RAM and with 8 apps open in the background there is around 1gb of free RAM available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think that the extra 2k gets you peace of mind. Please remember MIUI has its own apps to run as well. 2k over 2-3 years is hardly any cost IMHO. I would suggest the 3GB RAM version anyday. NO ONE ever regretted this minor "upgrade".
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am neither a power user nor a gamer. Add to that i am not a fan of the rear Finger print sensor albeit i have never used one yet. So i felt the 2gb version is more VFM.

Budget is not a constraint but a compact form factor is (5"). So i have decided to go ahead with the 3gb Prime model. Hope i am able to place an order in the flash sale today.
Old 14th September 2016, 11:54   #24448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Those speeds are worse than 3g. Checkout my Airtel speeds:
I too use the Jio and Airtel. But, I always use Jio for data for the following reasons.
  • Free for the first 3 months. Even after that, I'll get 4 GB data at around 542 per month + taxes
  • It only gives 4g signal. What does that mean ? It means that even when I travel, I can do heavy activities like streaming without having to worry about where the 4g towers are placed. for eg:- In a recent trip from Kerala to Bangalore on the Cauvery strike day, I was watching Asianet News live on youtube for 2 hours continously without any buffering that I can remember of.
  • The phone that I use ( Moto G4 ) is 100% compatible with Jio 4g bands ( Band 1,3 and 5 ) and VOLTE

Inspite of all this, there are things which you should be aware of in Jio.
  • They do throttling of speed if we continously do some downloads. This is good as long as regular daily activities like browsing, audio/video streaming, audio/video call quality is not affected. I think, their throttling algorithm is good.
  • Even though, Reliance has control over Band 5 ( high penetrating signal ), they don't seem to have made use of it properly in certain parts of the country. You will find blind spots between less populated areas ( like the stretch between Hosur and Salem in train ). This should logically be taken care of by them though.
  • Voice calls to other providers are throttled by other providers at inter connect points. But, Reliance should be able to handle this legally as there are TRAI regulations for the same.
  • Since, voice is transmitted as data. If the network speed is poor, the audio should scale down to a lower bit rate automatically and prevent break in voice. Reliance doesn't seem to be doing this at this point of time. The voice try to remain on higher bit rate and hence when the range is low, there is high chance that the voice can break intermittently. ( PS: When the range is anywhere higher than 30%, you will get the best of voice quality you have ever heard of in Jio to Jio calls )
  • Not all phones supports all 4g bands of Reliance. for eg:-, the Redmi 2 prime supports only 1 band of Jio while Moto G Turbo supports only 2 bands of Jio. But, other phones like Redmi Note 3, Moto G4, Moto G Play, Moto X Play are 100% compatible with the Jio bands. What this means for the phones which are not 100% compatible is that the range will be unavailable wherever the non-supported bands are used.
Old 14th September 2016, 12:57   #24449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I think the next Xperia phone is the ultimate camera phone possible, with a 23 megapixel, laser-autofocus, 5 axis stabilization, temperature controlled colour optimization sensor, and a 12 mp front facing camera. The back and sides are anodized aluminium (Alkaleido), and perhaps the most beautiful design from a Sony, ever. I'll be keeping my eyes open for this one, releasing in India next month.
While this sounds great on paper, the reality seems to be disappointing which seems to be the case with all Sony smartphone cameras.

Check out the preview on gsmarena http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_...iew-1493p5.php

I do not know what's the issue with Sony. They make sensors for everyone but they seem to screw up their own cameras. Remind me of Fiat vs Maruti and other auto companies - other companies are able to offer better performance than Fiat while using Fiat's engines
Old 14th September 2016, 14:11   #24450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Add to that i am not a fan of the rear Finger print sensor albeit i have never used one yet..
You just need to use it a few times after which you will feel that it is perfect placement for the sensor. In fact after using it on the Note 3 for past few months, it feels really intuitive and you will feel strange using sensor placed in the front on the home button. It is lightning quick and it also wakes and unlocks the device without having to use the power button. Good you opted to go for the 3GB version! :

Most Viewed