Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2016, 16:30   #24496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Please enlighten me asap.
Walk into to a place (like Chroma/ Reliance Digital) where you can play around with Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (or just S7). That might be a worthy option. If you like the experience, go for it - you will still save money compared to the iPhone.

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2016 at 19:11. Reason: Formatted post.
Old 21st September 2016, 18:53   #24497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Help needed

What do you guys think of the One Plus 3? Should I even consider it or give up the thought as lunacy

Cheers
I haven been using 1+ phones since November 2014 now. Used the 1+1 till last month and after a lot of research (for the 1st time in my life) upgraded with the same brand, 1+3. The iPhone 6S+ was the last standing phone with the 1+3 but after watching lot of comparison videos and the fact that the new iPhone was coming went in favour of the 1+.

Now, if you are buying the 1+3 and want to get rid of it soon, you will loose money. Its the same as it is with cars!
One BIG advantage with 1+ phones is that warranty remains intact even if your root them (equivalent of jail break). Also you can play around with the OS quite a lot and if you end up bricking the phone also, you can still buy one more and still have lot of money left (compared to buying 1 iPhone 7)
Old 21st September 2016, 18:56   #24498
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone here suggested using greenify. Thank you. I'm now getting 60% battery left after 15 hours of usage. Great!
Old 21st September 2016, 23:33   #24499
Senior - BHPian

Thank you civic-sense, Sanmish, S_U_N and Maverick1977 for your thoughts!

I have all my data backed up on my Windows 10 equipped laptop in iTunes, not on the cloud. How do I transfer that on the One Plus 3 or any Android phone?

Please help me out with this as well.

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:37   #24500
Senior - BHPian

ZUK Z2 launched at excellent price.
I was waiting for this model for a long time as I wanted a compact phone with good specs.

3GB/32 GB - 18K
4GB/64GB - 20K.

I am 99% sure that I am going for the 4GB/64GB model. Seems extremely value for money to me.
Still, I will wait for a few reviews probably before picking it up.

Just to highlight a few key advantages over the MI 5 (available in India) -
1> cheaper by 5K
2> bigger battery
3> higher frequency processor compared to the underclocked CPUs in Mi5.

Looks like Mi5 have a better screen and probably camera but not very sure.

Sale starts in Amazon on 25th September.

Last edited by adimicra : 22nd September 2016 at 14:39.
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:16   #24501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
ZUK Z2 launched at excellent price.
I was waiting for this model for a long time as I wanted a compact phone with good specs.

3GB/32 GB - 18K
4GB/64GB - 20K.
Very good price. Definitely looks like a good option. I would have been tempted if I was looking for a phone now. Only question mark is regarding their software about which I have no idea.
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:30   #24502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The iPhone 6S+ was the last standing phone with the 1+3 but after watching lot of comparison videos and the fact that the new iPhone was coming went in favour of the 1+.
Agreed, OP3 is a good phone. I would like to know how bad is the camera hump, camera quality and battery? Are those 3 big issues that you face. I don't like using a phone cover but am open to using skins (like on my OPX)

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2016 at 19:04. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:49   #24503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Agreed, OP3 is a good phone. I would like to know how bad is the camera hump, camera quality and battery? Are those 3 big issues that you face. I don't like using a phone cover but am open to using skins (like on my OPX)
My colleague next to me has an OP3. The camera bump makes it impossible to use the phone 'naked' without scratching the lens.

If you like to keep your phone without covers, why not try these?

I've been using these for years now; dirt cheap, easy to apply, transparent so blend in with any surface, and leave minimal to no residue when removed (easily cleanable with a mild nail-polish remover without damaging the surface).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd September 2016 at 18:53.
Old 22nd September 2016, 22:55   #24504

A little OT, I broke my Nexus 7(2013) again today. Last year got the screen replaced by a duplicate screen which had touchscreen issues but still I managed, it costed me 4k. Recently also got the charging port repaired which again costed me around 2k. I currently use a Lumia 730 and plan to replace it with OP3 next month, when the gold color becomes available. The nexus is used primarily for media consumption and for some apps. I am confused whether to replace the screen again or say goodbye to it. If i go the repairing way, will employ the services of a better and more reliable technician. Don't know whether spending another 4k is worth it or not.
Old 23rd September 2016, 00:02   #24505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Camera hump isnt an issue with me as I am using a case anyways like I always do and since its my first big phone I wanted something that would give me a better grip. I also ended up picking one of the phone elastic sling grips too and its much more comfortable now
Camera is good. Battery for me is excellent. After a very very long time I go to bed at night after a full days use with around 30-40% left and with no worries because I know for sure that the phone will be charged to 100% by the time Im ready to leave for work thanks to Dash Charging.

Other Oneplus 3 owners : Have any of you guys installed the new 3.2.6 update ? Im waiting to see if it causes any issues before I install it on my phone.

Is there a good SMS backup app for Android ? I want to back up the SMSes from my old Nexus 4 as I will be passing it on to the office boy soon.
Also what is the best way to completely wipe all my data from the phone ? Is a factory reset sufficient ?
Old 23rd September 2016, 05:13   #24506
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Is there a good SMS backup app for Android ?
Super backup is one of the better apps out there. It can backup sms as well as call records. I am sure your contacts would already be synced to your Google account to so that won't be required. It has an option local storage and cloud. I have used many other apps but restore with them is always a painful process. Super backup gives a seamless restore.
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:19   #24507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Super backup is one of the better apps out there. It can backup sms as well as call records.
Another one - SMS backup plus. The biggest advantage I see is that it backs up sms to Gmail.
You can search for sms inside Gmail using the search query "label: sms".
And restoration is a very easy process as well.
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:07   #24508
BHPian

Quote:
Other Oneplus 3 owners : Have any of you guys installed the new 3.2.6 update ? Im waiting to see if it causes any issues before I install it on my phone.
I have installed the 3.2.6 update 2 days back and so far everything is fine. No bugs found yet. So, I think you can safely go ahead and install the update. But ensure that post the update, you wipe the cache partition. I do it religiously post every single update.

Quote:
Is there a good SMS backup app for Android ?
I use Super Backup and its damn good
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:19   #24509
Team-BHP Support

Something weird going on with my Moto G3.

The battery consumption stats showed Wi-Fi at 19% yesterday night after a full day, with no usage and all possible related settings turned off.

The weird part is the usage numbers show ZERO time on and CPU usage, but power consumed 125x mAh.

What gives?
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:39   #24510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Something weird going on with my Moto G3.

The battery consumption stats showed Wi-Fi at 19% yesterday night after a full day, with no usage and all possible related settings turned off.
Can you check Wifi Scanning in Locations-> Scanning (via Hamburger menu) setting. If it is turned on, even when location + Wifi off Wifi is still kept active for tracking purpose.

Most Viewed