Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2016, 18:59   #24526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Received my OnePlus 3 in the afternoon today.

I was busy with some office work & subsequent social commitments, so haven't had a chance to check out my phone properly yet.

First visual impressions:

- It's slim! Perhaps the slimmest phone I have ever owned (except for the Motorola Razr V3).
- Display is quite sharp & smooth. Colours are looking a bit oversaturated. Looks like the update is in order.
- OS is blazingly fast and snappy. I like the clean look of this Oxygen mod of the Android 6.0 - much better than the one Samsung supplies with it's phones.
- Camera is fantastic for outdoor, casual shots. Yet to take any indoor, after-dark pictures.
- Phone comes with a film cover for the screen. A thicker screen guard is recommended, even though the display is protected by Gorilla Glass.
- Didn't like the any of the limited options for the back covers for the OnePlus 3 at the shops, so ordered a Spigen Rugged Armor Case from Amazon. I liked it's clean looks + it came recommended by my shopkeeper friend. Should be here by next weekend.

Some shots:

The box and the manufacturing date.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0033.jpg

The OnePlus 3, neatly nested inside.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0034.jpg

The contents of the box - phone, manual, dash charger, etc.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0035.jpg

Comparison with my iPhone 6 Plus.
(it has a metallic back cover so looks thicker and wider)
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_181137.jpg

Display comparison between the 2 flagships.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160924_181106.jpg

The 3 OnePlus phones in our family.
Mine is already a fingerprint magnet!
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0030.jpg

OnePlus 2 of my sister-in-law,
my OnePlus 3,
and brother-in-law's OnePlus 3.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0028.jpg

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th September 2016 at 07:24.
Old 24th September 2016, 20:35   #24527
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting a beauty I got it for my wife on her birthday and ended up feeling envious :P

Enjoy
Old 24th September 2016, 20:52   #24528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi Gannu - hows the redmi 3s prime holding up? hows the camera? is it decent enough? I am planning to place an order if i get hold of one in today's flash sale. Any recommendation for colours?
Dude, I'm really sorry I missed your post!

The phone is amazing for the money I spent on it (9k). Haven't had any issues so far except for OK Google being a bit slow to respond. I have kept just the bare minimum apps and I don't play games on this so no clue how it fares w.r.t. this aspect. Camera clicks decent snaps as well - played around with the cheap selfie stick which I'd bought from eBay that plugs to the phone using the 3.5 mm jack. Works fine and clicks good selfies as well (in case that matters).
Old 24th September 2016, 22:47   #24529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Congrats on getting a beauty I got it for my wife on her birthday and ended up feeling envious :P

Enjoy
Thank you. The phone is indeed a looker from all angles, and a tremendous performer to boot.

Update is done, and the display/colours have improved. I am glad they tweaked this crucial aspect.

I am so in love with the Dark mode right now I might just keep it forever!

Also, a big to the Dash charge. From 31% battery juice to 96% battery in 30 minutes, flat! Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
@ravenavi please remove the photo with IMEI details
Thanks.

I should have blacked out the IMEIs before posting. Only realised my mistake after seeing your post.

I have reported my post for the necessary edit.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th September 2016 at 22:48.
Old 25th September 2016, 00:04   #24530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thank you. The phone is indeed a looker from all angles, and a tremendous performer to boot.

Update is done, and the display/colours have improved. I am glad they tweaked this crucial aspect.

I am so in love with the Dark mode right now I might just keep it forever!

Also, a big to the Dash charge. From 31% battery juice to 96% battery in 30 minutes, flat! Unbelievable
Dash charge is indeed wonderful. It's a great phone overall. The default display setting is way too saturated for me. I prefer the sRGB mode which can be turned on from developer settings.

The Spigen rugged armor is a good choice too. I have the same and I am happy with it.
Old 25th September 2016, 00:44   #24531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received my OnePlus 3 in the afternoon today.

I was busy with some office work & subsequent social commitments, so haven't had a chance to check out my phone properly yet.

First visual impressions:

- It's slim! Perhaps the slimmest phone I have ever owned (except for the Motorola Razr V3).
- Display is quite sharp & smooth. Colours are looking a bit oversaturated. Looks like the update is in order.
- OS is blazingly fast and snappy. I like the clean look of this Oxygen mod of the Android 6.0 - much better than the one Samsung supplies with it's phones.
- Camera is fantastic for outdoor, casual shots. Yet to take any indoor, after-dark pictures.
- Phone comes with a film cover for the screen. A thicker screen guard is recommended, even though the display is protected by Gorilla Glass.
- Didn't like the any of the limited options for the back covers for the OnePlus 3 at the shops, so ordered a Spigen Rugged Armor Case from Amazon. I liked it's clean looks + it came recommended by my shopkeeper friend. Should be here by next weekend.
Congrats RavenAvi!

I hope the details on the back of the phone are those transparent covers to prevent damage which can be removed.

Kindly detail the steps for the update you mention. Did it come via message in settings or General as on the iPhone?

Enjoy your phone

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 25th September 2016 at 00:49. Reason: Text change.
Old 25th September 2016, 12:41   #24532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
The default display setting is way too saturated for me. I prefer the sRGB mode which can be turned on from developer settings.
Done!

I am still sticking to the Dark mode though (and turned the font colour to red). It makes the phone's UI look uber cool!

Quote:
The Spigen rugged armor is a good choice too. I have the same and I am happy with it.
The only other one which was of significance was one by Kapaver. But I preferred the neat, clean look of the Spigen cover to that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I hope the details on the back of the phone are those transparent covers to prevent damage which can be removed.

Kindly detail the steps for the update you mention. Did it come via message in settings or General as on the iPhone?
Thanks, bud.

Yep, they can be peeled off and leave no marks whatsoever.

The update prompt came up automatically as soon as I inserted my Jio SIM and started the 4G service. It's not a big file either. The whole process of downloading the update & rebooting the phone to apply the patch took hardly 10 minutes.

I will be spending as much time as I can today (being a Sunday) exploring the OnePlus 3. There's a whole gamut of functions under "Developer Options" waiting for me to explore.

Oh, and did I mention how fast the OnePlus 3's touch UI is? An absolute rocket!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th September 2016 at 12:42.
Old 25th September 2016, 14:45   #24533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dash charge is indeed wonderful. It's a great phone overall. The default display setting is way too saturated for me. I prefer the sRGB mode which can be turned on from developer settings.
Please explain the steps taken to turn on the sRGB from developer settings and what it does to the display.

Thanks JonSnow.

Quote:
I am still sticking to the Dark mode though (and turned the font colour to red). It makes the phone's UI look uber cool!

I will be spending as much time as I can today (being a Sunday) exploring the OnePlus 3. There's a whole gamut of functions under "Developer Options" waiting for me to explore.
Everything sounds great about the 1+3, the wait for the phone is killing me

Please do post your findings of the "Developer Options" after your exploration. It will help me greatly too.

Thanks RavenAvi.

Cheers
Old 25th September 2016, 16:23   #24534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Please explain the steps taken to turn on the sRGB from developer settings and what it does to the display.

Thanks JonSnow.
Developer options are disabled by default. To enable it, go to Settings -> About phone. Scroll down to the build number and tap on it some 7-8 times. It will show a confirmation message that you are now a developer. Then you can navigate to Settings -> Developer options to enable sRGB mode.

sRGB mode is sort of a standard color profile that was created so that content created by anyone should appear the same on other monitors or printers. Many phones use a higher saturation to make the colors pop out, since generally people like bright and saturated colors. But that ends up distorting the content a bit. The default setting in OP3 is especially high in color saturation.

Note that if you use the default setting for a while then switching to sRGB might make the display seem dull. Just give it some time for your eyes to get used to.
Old 25th September 2016, 21:08   #24535
BHPian

Planning to order one Redmi 3S Prime in this week's sale after seeing a good number of satisfactory feedbacks in last few pages.
I suppose its available on Flipkart apart from Mi's site - which one is preferable to use (rather more probable to get order through)?
Old 25th September 2016, 22:16   #24536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Planning to order one Redmi 3S Prime in this week's sale after seeing a good number of satisfactory feedbacks in last few pages.
I suppose its available on Flipkart apart from Mi's site - which one is preferable to use (rather more probable to get order through)?
As of may, you could only get mi protect (360 bucks / accidental damage protection) for purchases made on mi.com and not on flipkart.

Check if there are any such (utterly shocking) constraints.
Old 26th September 2016, 06:07   #24537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
I ordered mine from Mi store website. Flipkart was very tough. I was able to add one to the cart in Flipkart and while making payment it got sold out. Whereas in Mi website, if you add the product to the cart you will have 15mins to make the payment. I ordered the grey one. Login to the website atleast 30mins before and try. Have both Mi and Flipkart websites opened and try simultaneously. All the best!
Old 26th September 2016, 09:01   #24538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the OP3!! Have been using it as my daily driver since June of this year, and I am all praises for it. It is indeed a looker, and as you mentioned, blazing fast with respect to all apps and the general UI itself. I myself have opted for a transparent silicone case, though very reluctantly, since I really loved the feel of the phone in my hand without any covers whatsoever. Just love the minimalism that the phone sports, be it the outer appearance (no monikers to logos the front) and the software itself.

One word for the Dash charger- phenomenal!
Old 26th September 2016, 14:09   #24539
mxh
BHPian

Lenovo z2 Plus seems to be a good phone but waiting for the reviews. Also, not sure if the Indian model has quick charge 3.0 since its not listed in Qualcomms official list. Also it doesn't have gorilla glass which is a major concern.
Old 26th September 2016, 16:04   #24540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Lenovo z2 Plus seems to be a good phone but waiting for the reviews. Also, not sure if the Indian model has quick charge 3.0 since its not listed in Qualcomms official list. Also it doesn't have gorilla glass which is a major concern.
Quick charge 3.0 is there but the charger supplied with it does not support.
I see 2 major concerns with Z2 plus - no Gorilla glass and camera seems to be pretty ordinary (worse than G4+, MI5, Zenfone 3 etc)

Most Viewed