Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 17:34   #24541
mxh
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Quick charge 3.0 is there but the charger supplied with it does not support.
I see 2 major concerns with Z2 plus - no Gorilla glass and camera seems to be pretty ordinary (worse than G4+, MI5, Zenfone 3 etc)
Camera is not a major concern for me but Quick charge and gorilla glass is. Qualcomm has a list of QC 3.0 devices but Lenovo Z2 plus doesn't feature in it. If they haven't paid Qualcomm's licensing fees for QC 3.0 then even a QC 3.0 charger would make no difference. In the Amazon as well as Lenovo websites, there is no mention of QC 3.0 support at phone level.
Old 27th September 2016, 12:19   #24542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
As of may, you could only get mi protect (360 bucks / accidental damage protection) for purchases made on mi.com ...
Do you mean they were shipping only mi protect package for an order of Redmi 3S Prime?
That would indeed be shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I ordered mine from Mi store website. Flipkart was very tough. ..
Thanks for your input .. will keep it in mind.
Old 27th September 2016, 14:54   #24543
BHPian

Made an icon following google's Material Design guidelines for team bhp android app. The old one was sticking out like a sore thumb in the app drawer. I'm attaching it here for fellow tbhp members to use . You can use the replace icon function in third party launchers like nova.

Icon in 192x192 size - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...TY0VU4zTzFyTnM

Name:  Screenshot_2016092714461901.png
Views: 1101
Size:  355.7 KB
Old 27th September 2016, 14:56   #24544
Senior - BHPian

Got my One Plus 3 yesterday and still trying to figure things out Not really happy as of now with my new phone.

Copied my data over to my new phone and there are a lot of contacts in various colors which are double.

On the home screen for example with Whats App, mails or messages when any new message comes in there is no mention of the number of new notifications on the app.

Have set up my whats app to auto download images, videos, lets say all files when on wifi, still I have to go and physically press on the image or video and then it starts to download.

No Notes feature is present like on the iPhone.

Lots of issues for me to figure out since am new to Android and its feeling a pain to be honest. Please help out guys!

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th September 2016, 15:28   #24545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
On the home screen for example with Whats App, mails or messages when any new message comes in there is no mention of the number of new notifications on the app.
Thats one of the features which I missed when I shifted from "Sam-Dung" to vanilla android. But it can be sorted by using Nova Launcher + Tesla Unread plugin

Quote:
No Notes feature is present like on the iPhone.
You can either use the Oxygen OS in-built Memo (Siwpe right from the home screen) or use any third-party app like Evernote

Don't panic for these initial issues, as most of them are mainly since you are not familiar with Android. Things will get back to normal once you use the platform for a few days, so much that you wont ever go back to iOS
Old 27th September 2016, 19:13   #24546
BHPian

I just want to narrate the absolutely horrendous rage inducing service quality that I am receiving from Xiaomi.

A small white patch appeared on my xiaomi Mi4i (purchased last october). On taking it to the service in Salt Lake, Kolkata (which by the way is an exclusive xiaomi service centre) on the25th of august they agreed to replace the display under warranty. When I asked them how long it will take for them to return the phone, they said it would take about 20 days! As I had no other option, I agreed. About 10minutes later when after disassembling the phone they gave me Job sheet it mentioned the required time to be between 15-40days! On asking them why it would need 40days, they simply replied by saying that I need not worry and they I will get it back in about 20 days.

I started calling them from the 6th of September to enquire about the progress of work my device. This is when I realised that getting in touch with the service centre is going to be a near impossible task. Every time I called the given mobile number, it came as busy. Finally managed to get connected after about 3 days when they said they would let me know when they have any updates.

Next week (the week starting on the 13th of September, again after two days of calling over probably 20times they picked up my call and said there was a chance that I might receive back my device within the week, ie, the 17th. As expected I did nor receive any calls from the service centre on the 17th. Next week again the same episode, multiple calls, then they say I will probably get my device by the 24th. This is when I expressed my displeasure about having to call many times just to try a get connected. To my surprise, the guy didnt say a word a disconnected the call.

Since then I havent been able to connect to them even a single time. Its been over a week.

Now comes the worst part. Appalled by the quality of service of thia particular MI centre, I decided to complain to MI india on their 'hotline' number (1800 103 6286) which I got from their website. I have kept trying for over a week but even this number is always busy. I urge everyone reading this to go ahead and give this number a try! Not once have I been able to get a call through!

On the 23rd a decided to mail xiaomi. I did get a mail asking for my job sheet number and some other details which I sent to them promptly. Since Saturday I have received any reply.

Furious over the whole episode I decided to pay the service centre a visit today. I had made up my mind that I would not let them close down the shop today until they handed me my phone. Guess what, the service centre was closed today with a notice outside the shop stating that they have some server issues and hence the store would stay closed for today!

I am absolutely lost as what step I can take next to get my device back. I have a exam coming up (CA final) in November and cant afford to keep visiting the service centre every other day. Frankly I am starting to doubt whether I will ever get my phone back!
Old 27th September 2016, 20:16   #24547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Don't panic for these initial issues, as most of them are mainly since you are not familiar with Android. Things will get back to normal once you use the platform for a few days, so much that you wont ever go back to iOS
Hey Repsol, thanks for your words of encouragement

I have sold off my One Plus 3 within 24 hours of receiving it which must be a record of some sorts . Yes, its a quick decision but seeing as I wasn't going to change my mind and an opportunity presented itself when someone known was going to buy one - I sold it to him.

Thank you all for the help/guidance provided.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 27th September 2016 at 20:32.
Old 27th September 2016, 20:32   #24548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Do you mean they were shipping only mi protect package for an order of Redmi 3S Prime?
That would indeed be shocking!

Thanks for your input .. will keep it in mind.
No No. I meant that customers who bought the Redmi Note 3 on flipkart could not order this add on while those who bought it from MI.com could.
Old 27th September 2016, 22:14   #24549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post

I am absolutely lost as what step I can take next to get my device back. I have a exam coming up (CA final) in November and cant afford to keep visiting the service centre every other day. Frankly I am starting to doubt whether I will ever get my phone back!
Wow, that really sucks. Try posting on their FB page or to their Twitter handle. Hope you get the resolution soon.
Old 28th September 2016, 10:58   #24550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
I just want to narrate the absolutely horrendous rage inducing service quality that I am receiving from Xiaomi....
I feel for you man. I went through a similar ordeal when I bought a new Redmi Note 3 for my mum, and it turned out to have a defect.

You can try the "Hotline" 50 times, or 100 times, it won't connect. It didn't for me. I sat at the ASC & tried 50 times in front of the staff. Eventually one of the staff called the "Hotline", and somehow it connected at 1 go!

The lady over the phone agreed after having seen the video's I sent the previous evening & confirming with the ASC, she even gave me a complaint number & mentioned someone would pick it up next day, but nothing seemed to be happening for 2 days! When I mailed them, they pretended asif they hadn't got a clue & directed me to the ASC for repairs! After clarifying numerous times that they've agreed to replace, only then did they accept it & arrange for a pick-up.

It seemed the same approach towards many others waiting at Xiaomi's service center.

The modus operandi of Xiaomi is to remain dodgy & do their level best to wear you out. After noticing this behaviour, I've decided my next phone isn't going to be from Xiaomi.

I strongly suggest that, if possible, you borrow someones phone & continue with your life. They can't keep it more than 2 months I guess.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 28th September 2016 at 11:02.
Old 28th September 2016, 12:21   #24551
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey chaps. Just FYI Google Play Music India is now available on the Play store. Tracks are at about 15 each while some albums can go to Rs 600. The streaming subscription hasn't been launched yet.

https://play.google.com/music/listen...GB&tab=YY#/now
Old 28th September 2016, 12:26   #24552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey chaps. Just FYI Google Play Music India is now available on the Play store. Tracks are at about 15 each while some albums can go to Rs 600. The streaming subscription hasn't been launched yet.

How does it work? If I purchase a track, do I get the mp3 file which I can then play in any other app of my choice or does it work only in Google Play?
Old 28th September 2016, 12:34   #24553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
How does it work? If I purchase a track, do I get the mp3 file which I can then play in any other app of my choice or does it work only in Google Play?
You download the track to your device (phone/PC/Mac) and play it like you would any other media file.

I am more interested in the all-access subscription.
Old 28th September 2016, 17:38   #24554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Do they have a FLAC option? Or only MP3s?
Old 29th September 2016, 20:02   #24555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Copied my data over to my new phone and there are a lot of contacts in various colors which are double.
If you've synced your contacts with your google account, go to contacts dot google dot com (in your computer) and there is an option to find duplicates and merge. The changes should reflect in your phone.

Else, look at oneplus forums.

Quote:
I do know a work around: Use nova launcher + prime and tesla unread. I don't know whether you can do it without buying nova launcher prime.

There maybe alternatives, but I've never bothered searching.

Quote:
Have set up my whats app to auto download images, videos, lets say all files when on wifi, still I have to go and physically press on the image or video and then it starts to download.
Just go to the Menu (3 dots on top right corner)->Settings->Data Usage and configure it.

Hope this helps.

For any query, you can also refer Androidcentral's articles

Most Viewed