Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2016, 13:58   #24721
Senior - BHPian

Old 18th October 2016, 14:08   #24722
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hey guys,

I am in market for a newer phone after long and suddenly finding myself out of sync. Market that used to be ruled by Samsung, Sony, Htc and Moto are now flooded with brands with lots of ‘O’s in names. Possibly Xuv5oo effect?

Jokes apart, I am in the budget of 15-20 range and looking for mostly regular calls (no VoLTE) and use of emails and Skype (both business and home). I don’t play games and not too much of Facebook fan. Apps that I use are pretty simple, few Whats-app kind communication app and few e commerce app and few banking app. Yes I use antivirus. Most precisely I use 2 SIMs and my memory card has tons of photos (no hybrid). My 2 years old Lumia gave up with a badly cracked screen, somehow I am getting used to the smooth transition of office 365 with windows 10.
Any good suggestions would be appreciated.
Anyone off lately using HTC? How are the desire 8xx series, on paper they look good. I have already 3 MOTOs at home, don’t want go for one again.
Old 18th October 2016, 17:49   #24723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I am in market for a newer phone after long and suddenly finding myself out of sync. I am in the budget of 15-20 range and looking for mostly regular calls
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4076889

I am never trusting HTC again after the pink tint camera fiasco on their M7 which really killed that company and took all brand loyalty away.

Cheers...
Old 18th October 2016, 18:16   #24724
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am never trusting HTC again after the pink tint camera fiasco on their M7 which really killed that company and took all brand loyalty away.

Cheers...
Thank you dkaile. Apart from camera, anything bad on HTC, I kind of like the desire 830. I am not going to take a lot of photos.

Congratulations on your on8. Not really looking forward to Samsung low ends, already burnt my finger with Galaxy S before. Though I like A series, but unfortunately those in my budget are with single sim.
Old 18th October 2016, 18:17   #24725
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
I am in market for a newer phone after long and suddenly finding myself out of sync. Market that used to be ruled by Samsung, Sony, Htc and Moto are now flooded with brands with lots of ‘O’s in names. Possibly Xuv5oo effect?
For a 15-20k range, you might want to take a look at OnePlus 2. It doesn't have a memory card, but comes with 64GB memory (not sure if that fits your criteria).

Last edited by ampere : 19th October 2016 at 08:32. Reason: Edited quoted part. Reduced Length
Old 18th October 2016, 18:33   #24726
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
For a 15-20k range, you might want to take a look at OnePlus 2. It doesn't have a memory card, but comes with 64GB memory (not sure if that fits your criteria).
Thank you Shifu. Even I was tempted with the offer on amazon and 2k cashback on citi cards. How the oxygen OS performs.
As you see, I will be using it for communication purpose only (email, chat, calls), will not prefer mingle around with different ROMs. Would you recommend it to someone who will use the stock OS and not up to any gaming or photography, but mostly up-to voice calls and chats?
Old 18th October 2016, 19:05   #24727
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Shifu. Even I was tempted with the offer on amazon and 2k cashback on citi cards. How the oxygen OS performs.
As you see, I will be using it for communication purpose only (email, chat, calls), will not prefer mingle around with different ROMs. Would you recommend it to someone who will use the stock OS and not up to any gaming or photography, but mostly up-to voice calls and chats?
I have used One Plus one and used it pretty much the way you mentioned - basic use like voice call and chat and browsing, etc. It is working fine since last year. One plus 2 should only be better...
Old 18th October 2016, 22:55   #24728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got myself the Xiaomi Mi5 for 17999 (official price is 25k but theres a 5k offer from the company and flipkart gave 10% off on using my Axis bank card). I think for this price this phone is an absolute steal (since it is becomes 10k cheaper than OP3). I think instead of OP2 you can consider the Mi5. It has a fantastic body, cazy specs including SD820! (Which other phone has SD820 for this price!) camera with OIS and PDAF. Super fast memory. And not too big.

Food for thought.

Last edited by ampere : 19th October 2016 at 08:33. Reason: Edited quoted section
Old 19th October 2016, 00:10   #24729
Senior - BHPian

^^
One more vote for the Xiaomi MI5.
For <20K budget, this phone should be a no brainer unless someone is skeptical to buy a Chinese phone.
Looks gorgeous, easy to use one handed, one of the best 1080p screens in the market, very good camera with OIS, SD820 chipset, UFS 2.0 storagedecent battery life, comes with dial SIM and IR blaster as well. Really can't think of what more someone can ask for in this price range.
Using the phone for couple of weeks and couldn't have been happier.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:10   #24730
MCR
BHPian

Sold my OnePlus 2 bought almost a year ago and bought Zenfone 3. Loving the ZenUI experience and the light weight.

OnePlus 2 had developed serious heating and battery drain issues after the update to Oxygen 3.1.0. Had tried all the tips mentioned in the OnePlus forum, but was not useful.

Coming to Zenfone3, it has a processor which is better at battery management and thus ensures about one full day of battery with moderate to heavy usage.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:59   #24731
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is there an App in Android which records the entire route you take? Gmap only guides and does not record the route you actually travel.

I am looking at something which can record and later the same route can be shared with others, and further the link should work for them (may be with Gmap) if they want to take the same route.

Don't know if I am expecting too much.

KK
Old 19th October 2016, 11:29   #24732
BHPian

You can try the 'My Tracks' app. I am using this for sometime and very satisfied with it. Has all the functionalities you asked for and more.
Old 19th October 2016, 11:33   #24733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
You can try the 'My Tracks' app. I am using this for sometime and very satisfied with it. Has all the functionalities you asked for and more.
Thanks Roomy.

As I can see there are two 'My Tracks' App. Can you mention who is the developer. Also, while checking I came across 'Geo Tracker' App. I will install both and try.

KK
Old 19th October 2016, 11:34   #24734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Hi Guys,

Is there an App in Android which records the entire route you take? Gmap only guides and does not record the route you actually travel..

KK
Earlier I was extensively using Google My Tracks to record my route. It was an extremely useful app. I don't know why Google discontinued it.

Anyways, a quick search on PlayStore shows this app "Geo Tracker-GPS Tracker" with a million downloads.
You can give this a try.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:05   #24735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Hi Guys,

Is there an App in Android which records the entire route you take? Gmap only guides and does not record the route you actually travel.

I am looking at something which can record and later the same route can be shared with others, and further the link should work for them (may be with Gmap) if they want to take the same route.

Don't know if I am expecting too much.

KK
'Your Timeline' is available on GMaps for free. You just need to be signed in to Google maps. It's an option on the left top menu. You can also Add places now, in case you just dropped somebody off. It's very useful to me, as it shows me how many km per day I walked, biked, drove etc. I've never felt the need to share this, but I'm sure you can import into Google's other app MyMaps.

MyTracks ~ GOOG suspended devt for a few years now. But I use a lovely little app called LifeStats which uses foursquare to highlight points I visited. Serves the same purpose as 'my timeline' , but is a useful journal on my foreign visits or holidays. Reminds me of a lovely app called Rego I used on iOS.

Most Viewed