Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 12:16   #24736
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thank you all for your timely input. Really appreciate your help.

I know, any mobile Chinese, Korean, Japanese or whatever are Chinese (foxcon ?). Right now, why I am not interested for Xiaomi, Oppo, Le etc. is they have made supercomputers out of a mobile, but where I feel, I may be complete wrong on this, but they lack or rather cut cost to justify their price is the software. It is a deal breaker for me if I have to manage myself the memory optimization, app optimization. If there is ROM different than Pure Android, that should able to clean its mess.

Right now I think I have 2 choices, Samsung or HTC. I am in the heart vs mind situation, Samsung J7 prime or HTC Desire 830.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:31   #24737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Hi Guys,

Is there an App in Android which records the entire route you take? Gmap only guides and does not record the route you actually travel.

I am looking at something which can record and later the same route can be shared with others, and further the link should work for them (may be with Gmap) if they want to take the same route.

Don't know if I am expecting too much.

KK
I use 'sports tracker' for the same. Pretty useful for playback of the entire route on map with speed and elevation data for every point you traversed.
Link here: http://www.sports-tracker.com/dashboard
Create an account, and you can sync to view the data on desktop also.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:31   #24738
BHPian

@petrolrider well it will be your phone so go with your choice, but Mi started off as a software first with MIUI then started building devices. Apart from stock Android, Moto and Xiaomi are the better options in the 15-20k price range. If you are comfortable with Samsung or HTC that is what you should go for, as we can suggest all we want as armchair experts but it is the user whose opinion matters.
Old 19th October 2016, 14:12   #24739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there an App in Android which records the entire route you take? Gmap only guides and does not record the route you actually travel.
Yes, it does. How would Google not know where we are every minute of every day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
'Your Timeline' is available on GMaps for free. You just need to be signed in to Google maps. It's an option on the left top menu. ...
Quite. The only thing, I find, is that, if you want it to be reasonably accurate about the route, you have to be running Maps. Otherwise you get a lot of straight lines between points.

The privacy thing is a question, but it seems to me that I sold my soul to Google, for services worth having, long ago. I'm just glad it wasn't Microsoft!

Your Timeline makes quite a good basic diary. It will even include photos you take at the places you visit. You can also see it from your PC.
Old 19th October 2016, 14:34   #24740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
IR blaster as well.
Noob question - what is this and what's the use of this?

I just ordered a Redmi 3s Prime and see that the phone has this "IR blaster". Whats the purpose of this?
Old 19th October 2016, 14:34   #24741
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am looking at something which can record and later the same route can be shared with others, and further the link should work for them (may be with Gmap) if they want to take the same route.

Don't know if I am expecting too much.

KK
I use strava for cycling. I have to check if the same route can be re-used though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.strava&hl=en
Old 19th October 2016, 14:42   #24742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Quite. The only thing, I find, is that, if you want it to be reasonably accurate about the route, you have to be running Maps. Otherwise you get a lot of straight lines between points.

Your Timeline makes quite a good basic diary. It will even include photos you take at the places you visit. You can also see it from your PC.
True that, Man. Google knows all. Not sure what you mean about 'running maps'. It certainly doesn't need to be open on screen. Maybe the lines are a feature of speed or granularity. It does show my run route very accurately even when it's not on screen, at least as well as Strava. Driving is a bit more point A~B, and flights are as the crow flies. And battery usage with location On is low.

Besides I like that it can automatically identify if I'm running, walking, biking or driving. Of course you need to set your Google Now with your commute preferences. It's also now easy to edit and Add places. I usually take a look every weekend or so, and set it right.

Please do take a look at Lifestats and Rego, if journaling is more your thing.
Old 19th October 2016, 14:44   #24743
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Noob question - what is this and what's the use of this?

I just ordered a Redmi 3s Prime and see that the phone has this "IR blaster". Whats the purpose of this?
IR blaster or infrared blaster mobiles can be used in place of remote control devices that use IR. In everyday life your IR enabled phone can replace your TV remote, a/c remote etc.
Old 19th October 2016, 15:04   #24744
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

KK
You have already received several suggestions , but you can also try Locus Maps , its brilliant. They have both Free and Pro versions in Play Store. Here is a link to the Website.
Old 19th October 2016, 21:51   #24745
BHPian

@ All esteemed android heads.

Moto X Force is available for a mouthwatering price of 28 K for the 64 GB variant. With additional 2K off on Citi cards the final cost comes down to 26 K for a flagship.

I had my eyes on either Nexus 6P or Moto X Force for a long time now and was waiting for such deals. Nexus 6P will cost around 34 K with all such discounts.

Well I would still like to stick to my less than 30 K smart phone ideology.

I was waiting for the next wave of Moto and Google phones. Google killed Nexus line and the Pixel phones are priced pretty steep. Moto Z with mods looks pretty interesting but Lenovo skipped the force version. But it looks it will cost close to 50 K. Moto Z play looks interesting and will cost me 22 K.

But I would rather have last year’s flagship rather than present mid ranger. Moto Z for 39 K and puny battery doesn't look that interesting. Though I have liked the Moto Mods implementation I would give it a skip for now as Z force is not launched and it would be costly as well.

No bloated Android phones for me. I love the Vanilla version of Android and Nexus 4 has been the best Android I ever had. It was working well until I exchanged and got a Moto X Style for wife.

Moto comes pretty close to the real Android experience the way Google wants it to be implemented.

With Nexus 6P ruled out as still more than 30 K, Pixel and current gen Moto either pretty costly or underwhelming specs wise I am left with Moto X Force.

What would you guys think? Would it be a good buy now?
Have been using Samsung’s (S3 and J7) since parting with my Nexus 4 and I just hate the software experience.
Please suggest so that I can place the order today. Post Diwali sales the prices will be back to 40 K I guess.
P.S: No Apple products for me. I have used multiple Apple products for close to 2 years (I worked with Apple) and never missed them once I moved out of Apple account. No doubt they make great products but they are not worth the price that we pay here in India and I don’t like their idea of forcing someone to use their ecosystem. Though lot better than before it still not as flexible as say Android or Windows.
Old 19th October 2016, 22:07   #24746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
What would you guys think?
Why don't you bring the Mi5 and One+3 into the picture. In the mid price bracket, both are fine contenders, though not cutting edge, but definitely above the Moto in question.

Cheers...
Old 19th October 2016, 22:29   #24747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@
What would you guys think? Would it be a good buy now?
One Plus 3 seems the best bet. Snapdragon 820 with 6GB RAM and 3000mAh battery. It matches the flagships in every way possible and at 28K it is the best one can get IMO.
Old 19th October 2016, 22:37   #24748
Senior - BHPian

Try the Oneplus 3 instead. Its in the same price bracket and the OS is pretty close to stock Android. I have just migrated from the Nexus 4 too to the Oneplus 3. In fact I was just backing up my data on the N4 that served me well for 3.5 years and will now be passed on to my office staff
Old 19th October 2016, 22:40   #24749
BHPian

Quote:
@ All esteemed android heads

Though lot better than before it still not as flexible as say Android or Windows.
+1 to Mi5 and one plus 3.

I have not used one plus phones but based on mixed reviews my money would be on Mi5. They have top of the line hardware but it seems that performance is not top-notch. I could be mistaken as I have not used one myself. Though I do like their philosophy of bringing only one device with more focus in user experience.

Maybe even redmi note 3 32GB. As value for money as Nexus 4. If tinkering is your thing then its easy to get stock android on it. Surplus can be put to some better use. But entirely your call!
Old 19th October 2016, 22:55   #24750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Why don't you bring the Mi5 and One+3 into the picture. In the mid price bracket, both are fine contenders, though not cutting edge, but definitely above the Moto in question.

Cheers...
Well no doubt both have current top of line specs. But that's where all the comparison ends. The software experience of rest of Android isn't a match to the vanilla experience of Google or Moto phones. Then there this delay in software updates. No bloat ware. And the service support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
One Plus 3 seems the best bet. Snapdragon 820 with 6GB RAM and 3000mAh battery. It matches the flagships in every way possible and at 28K it is the best one can get IMO.
Well specs wise current generation will always be better. Software experience and upgrades is where these guys lack. I use my phones till their end of life. So with added ruggedness I am looking @ 4+ years experience. I will get at least Andriod N updates. So software wise good for next 2 years. With my experience of Nexus and Moto( we have 3 moto phones) in family, I do not see any lag even in first gen Moto G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Try the Oneplus 3 instead. Its in the same price bracket and the OS is pretty close to stock Android. I have just migrated from the Nexus 4 too to the Oneplus 3. In fact I was just backing up my data on the N4 that served me well for 3.5 years and will now be passed on to my office staff
I would stick to vanilla Andriod for some more time to come. One + 3 is no doubt the best in the price range but software experience is what I am not too sure of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
+1 to Mi5 and one plus 3.

I have not used one plus phones but based on mixed reviews my money would be on Mi5. They have top of the line hardware but it seems that performance is not top-notch. I could be mistaken as I have not used one myself. Though I do like their philosophy of bringing only one device with more focus in user experience.

Maybe even redmi note 3 32GB. As value for money as Nexus 4. If tinkering is your thing then its easy to get stock android on it. Surplus can be put to some better use. But entirely your call!
Well completely agree with you mate. But tinkering is fine but I would not want to go for stuff where getting service might be a big issue. With Moto I am at least good for next 2 years before I think of tinkering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks