Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 23:04   #24751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I'm using a MI5. It's a very decent phone with no lag. Top spec components is an added bonus that normal daily use apps have no lag.
I wish there was more Ram though. Because I have to clear the background apps once in 2 or 3 days.
The software and its updates are very stable. Also it's very intuitive in nature. Far better then the OnePlus 3 which my mother has and I get frustrated using it for some normal operations like searching a recipe or a song for her.
I was a Samsung fan who then shifted to Sony Xperia and then to the iphone 5s. I loved the intuitiveness of the iOS. Now this MiUI I feel builds up from that level.
Old 19th October 2016, 23:23   #24752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Moto X Force
It looks like that phone has some serious heating issues. Would stick to Nexus 6P if I was you.

I have a Nexus 5. I wanted to change phones as well until Google decided I have to wait for more time

Nexus will still get the fastest updates even if Moto offers similar native application of Android software.
Old 19th October 2016, 23:34   #24753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well no doubt both have current top of line specs. But that's where all the comparison ends. The software experience of rest of Android isn't a match to the vanilla experience of Google or Moto phones. Then there this delay in software updates. No bloat ware. And the service support.

Having used Moto X 1st gen for 2+ years and now using MI5, I would say Vanilla Android is way too overrated.
I find MIUI offering a lot more useful features and customization options and I would prefer MIUI over stock Android any day though MIUI was some quirks and non-intutive way of accessing and managing a few things. Motorola notifications or ambient display is pretty cool though.

And what bloatware? I did not find much bloatware at all..and the best thing is you can uninstall any MIUI apps if you don't want.

Speaking about software updates, I received only one major OS update in my Moto X (which was a flagship phone for Motorola) from Kitkat to Lollipop while I see people who bought MI3 at the same time are still receiving updates and running on the latest MIUI 8 on top of Marshmallow.

Speaking about service, Motorola is pathetic to say the least. Xiaomi can be equally bad but I have not yet experienced to comment.

Overall, I see some people having a pre-conceived notion about Chinese phones. Even I was in the same camp a year back but not any more.

Last edited by adimicra : 19th October 2016 at 23:37.
Old 20th October 2016, 00:16   #24754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
They have top of the line hardware but it seems that performance is not top-notch.
Are you talking about OnePlus 3 or Mi 5? Because OnePlus 3 is one of the best devices in the market when it comes to performance.

Quote:
Well no doubt both have current top of line specs. But that's where all the comparison ends. The software experience of rest of Android isn't a match to the vanilla experience of Google or Moto phones. Then there this delay in software updates. No bloat ware. And the service support.
OnePlus also has a vanilla experience like Moto, and the additions they made are really good.

Quote:
Well specs wise current generation will always be better. Software experience and upgrades is where these guys lack. I use my phones till their end of life. So with added ruggedness I am looking @ 4+ years experience. I will get at least Andriod N updates. So software wise good for next 2 years. With my experience of Nexus and Moto( we have 3 moto phones) in family, I do not see any lag even in first gen Moto G.

I would stick to vanilla Andriod for some more time to come. One + 3 is no doubt the best in the price range but software experience is what I am not too sure of.
OnePlus 3 is likely to get Android N in the not too distant future. Their CEO had recently put out a teaser on twitter.

Their past record has not been stellar with regard to updates, but that was also partly because Cyanogen left them in the lurch by abruptly pulling out of their deal and they had to quickly put together the OxygenOS. With OnePlus 3, they have been trying to address that and there have been regular updates so far and all the issues that were reported at launch time were promptly addressed in the next few releases. This gave me the confidence to buy the phone and hopefully they will keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Having used Moto X 1st gen for 2+ years and now using MI5, I would say Vanilla Android is way too overrated.
I agree, MIUI has some really good features and it looks pretty good too, in my opinion. And even on devices where they don't update the OS version, they are still very prompt in providing monthly security updates, which most other OEMs don't. Only major annoyance with MIUI is the notifications handling. And it is sometimes difficult to find specific settings in their menus.

Last edited by ampere : 20th October 2016 at 10:17. Reason: Reduced length of quoted post
Old 20th October 2016, 00:45   #24755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Are you talking about OnePlus 3 or Mi 5? .
I was referring to one plus 3. It should work well especially with that 6GB ram. Given that the hardware is top notch and they have only one phone, I don't see users being wowed by their performance. There is always some glitch some bug that I get to read about one plus phones. May be I'm nitpicking but flagships should run flawless. I'm sure actual users can verify this.

MIUI has its own drawbacks but then I know where I am in the price range.

And maybe with one plus, the hasty switchover to oxygen could be the reason for below par optimisation. The next iteration of one plus could very well be a market leader.

Last edited by lordvader : 20th October 2016 at 00:46.
Old 20th October 2016, 01:17   #24756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Well the updates are MIUI specific. Isn't it? I am talking about Android updates. Once a new version comes by every other manufacturer will take time to develop their own additions. Irrespective of how quick the development cycle is they cant yet match Google or Moto yet.

My first gen Moto G got 2 updates. The Moto Style got one update already and is next N update is lined up as well. I am not sure about your Moto X. Did you keep it for less than 2 years?

Well my experience with Moto service has been great. There was a issue with mic which was changed under warranty twice and was fixed within 2-3 days max. Has been running without issues after that.

Not getting into technical details I use paid Anti Virus so that should take care of security needs as well.

Well each to his own but I have never liked any other implementation of Android. Samsung, HTC, OP and never felt home. Have been using Samsung S3 and J7 since I parted with my Nexus and just hate the software experience. I was just waiting for the new Moto and Google launches. They don't seem VFM and I really have not felt yet that I can pump anything more than 25-30 K on a phone. Its not like I can't afford one but would rather put my money on something more meaningful.

Well mate you too have a pre conceived notion that I will skip Chinese phones. Can you point me to a Chinese phone with vanilla Android? I am pretty sure I will get it for half the price and would buy it in a blink. But I do not know of any yet.

Other Moto range will do but the usage I have I will rather have last year's flagship than this year's mid ranger.

If I do decide to skip Moto Force now then will wait till Nexus 6P reaches 25 Kish range. Till then I will have to bear with my J7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
It looks like that phone has some serious heating issues. Would stick to Nexus 6P if I was you.
Well I saw pretty mixed user reviews. Even Nexus 6P uses Snap 810. Same goes for Moto X Style with 808 chipset and I had read similar reviews. Touchwood the Moto Style has not shown any such tendency. It does heat up during turbo charging but that's all.

Can you share specific reviews where the issue is mentioned? That would be great help.

Last edited by ampere : 20th October 2016 at 10:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged; typos fixed
Old 20th October 2016, 06:27   #24757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But that's where all the comparison ends.
Well, I believe that you have some pretty strong preconceived notions, going by the previous few posts. Then there is no sense asking for advice on open forums. You should go with the phone you like the best because you have to live with it eventually. Almost all phones will get your work done nowadays for 1-2 years. Even the 7k Primes or the paltry E's.

What people have suggested for you are some pretty good options. Eventually comes down to one's personal preferences, look and feel in the hand and of course build quality and then some technology bias, at least for me. Because most people are spending more time with their phones than their families... Lolz. Personally, having gone back to the tech leader after playing around with almost all the Chinese options for the last few years, I do feel the difference. The Chinese have upped the ante. But eventually it's like riding a Enfield or a Harley to get around. Both have their own charm, inconveniences as well as highlights. Both get the work done. Hope you get the drift.

Cheers....

Last edited by dkaile : 20th October 2016 at 06:36.
Old 20th October 2016, 07:33   #24758
Senior - BHPian

^^
@nibedk - Why I said you have strong pre-conceived notions is because of the following -
1> You said phones like MI5 do not get Android updates like Moto. I kept Moto X for 2.3 years and got a single update. It was not scheduled for Android M update. May be Moto has improved now.
But Xiaomi is very good with updates. There are frequent MIUI updates but even the base Android OS gets updated. And they support their old phones for a long time

2> You said service for MI etc is very bad compared to Moto. I don't think there can be such a generic statement. I personally had a terrible experience with Moto and I know others who had as well. May be it depends on the city/location. I am not saying Xiaomi service is great but Moto has not been good for me. Also, Xiaomi is investing heavily in India so hopefully things should improve.

3> You said phones like Mi5 come loaded with bloatware. But having used it, I hardly find any. What I find is lot of useful apps and features.

Finally, if you want to buy phone of particular brand(s) due to Vanilla Android or whatever reason, please go ahead. It's your phone, your choice. Peace out.
Old 20th October 2016, 08:26   #24759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I saw pretty mixed user reviews. Even Nexus 6P uses Snap 810. Same goes for Moto X Style with 808 chipset and I had read similar reviews. Touchwood the Moto Style has not shown any such tendency. It does heat up during turbo charging but that's all.

Can you share specific reviews where the issue is mentioned? That would be great help.

Quote:
The good news is the Motorola Moto X Force and its Snapdragon 810 provide a flagship-grade performance even though it's not chart topping. There isn't a single task the Force can't handle, and all available games to date will run hassle-free.

Android Marshmallow runs butter-smooth, too, so there is nothing to worry about either.

The Snapdragon 810 chip was plagued by overheating issues, and while it is now in its second (improved) revision, those are still possible. Luckily, the Moto X Force handles thermal distribution very well and there is no throttling even when the phone gets hot.

And the bad news is, the Moto X Force indeed gets hot when under pressure. Its metal frame and ballistic nylon rear cover get uncomfortably warm. But that's it - there is no overheating or performance throttling.
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mot...iew-1435p5.php

The Nexus 6P might have similar problems but with a Aluminum body, I would expect better heat dissipation.
Old 20th October 2016, 09:46   #24760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
You can try the 'My Tracks' app. I am using this for sometime and very satisfied with it. Has all the functionalities you asked for and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Earlier I was extensively using Google My Tracks to record my route. It was an extremely useful app. I don't know why Google discontinued it.

Anyways, a quick search on PlayStore shows this app "Geo Tracker-GPS Tracker" with a million downloads.
You can give this a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
'Your Timeline' is available on GMaps for free. You just need to be signed in to Google maps. It's an option on the left top menu. You can also Add places now, in case you just dropped somebody off. It's very useful to me, as it shows me how many km per day I walked, biked, drove etc. I've never felt the need to share this, but I'm sure you can import into Google's other app MyMaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I use 'sports tracker' for the same. Pretty useful for playback of the entire route on map with speed and elevation data for every point you traversed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, it does. How would Google not know where we are every minute of every day?

Quite. The only thing, I find, is that, if you want it to be reasonably accurate about the route, you have to be running Maps. Otherwise you get a lot of straight lines between points.

Your Timeline makes quite a good basic diary. It will even include photos you take at the places you visit. You can also see it from your PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I use strava for cycling. I have to check if the same route can be re-used though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.strava&hl=en
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
True that, Man. Google knows all. Not sure what you mean about 'running maps'. It certainly doesn't need to be open on screen. Maybe the lines are a feature of speed or granularity. It does show my run route very accurately even when it's not on screen, at least as well as Strava. Driving is a bit more point A~B, and flights are as the crow flies. And battery usage with location On is low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
You have already received several suggestions , but you can also try Locus Maps , its brilliant. They have both Free and Pro versions in Play Store. Here is a link to the Website.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yesterday I tried 'Locus Map', 'Geo Tracker' and 'GPS Trip Recorder' Apps to record my return journey to home from office. All of these recorded the route properly and I could view the route map on those Apps after the journey. But I am still not able to figure out on sharing the route and whether the shared route can be reused later (as route guide).

Surprise was 'your timeline' in the Google maps app. I didn't even open the Google Maps App, but 'your timeline' has recorded the entire map like the other Apps mentioned above. But again the question is on sharing and re-using the map.

I will do some R&D on more Apps for a couple of days and report my findings.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 20th October 2016 at 09:48.
Old 20th October 2016, 10:08   #24761
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any news if LG plans to launch the V20 in India? Waiting to buy a flagship and it looks like the real deal.
Old 20th October 2016, 10:37   #24762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Guys, any news if LG plans to launch the V20 in India? Waiting to buy a flagship and it looks like the real deal.
yes it is expected in india .

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_confirms_...news-20219.php

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...unched-1455384

Review : http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v20-review-1498.php
Old 20th October 2016, 10:37   #24763
Senior - BHPian

Old 20th October 2016, 10:39   #24764
BHPian

About software updates for Motorola phones. No, I think they're done especially after being bought out by Lenovo. They're upping their "planned obsolesence" strategy: older Moto phones barely get any updates, not even security updates.

Oneplus, on the other hand, has been pleasantly surprising with their updates.
Old 20th October 2016, 10:39   #24765
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. Shall wait a while and see if they do bring it. Just concerned that there is no hype. I remember that the G4 had a lot of hype before launch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks