Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 10:55   #24766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

What do you guys feel about the new Moto Z Play? Is it worth the extra cash of about 10k over the Moto G4 Plus? Moto G4Plus with exchange is about 9k, and the ZPlay is about 19k.

I wont be interested in any of the moto-mods, so will leave that out of the consideration. Just a head to head between the two phones.

I am veering towards getting the Moto G4 Plus and knock it around for a couple of years.
Old 20th October 2016, 11:25   #24767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yesterday I tried 'Locus Map', 'Geo Tracker' and 'GPS Trip Recorder' Apps to record my return journey to home from office. All of these recorded the route properly and I could view the route map on those Apps after the journey. But I am still not able to figure out on sharing the route and whether the shared route can be reused later (as route guide).

KK
Can be very easily exported from Locus Maps using a host of options. Hope you have saved your tracks, when prompted. Once in Locus Maps , touch your screen and access the main menu from the top left. Then select , Data and next Tracks. Your saved Folder name should appear below. To the right of that you will see 3 dots , select that and click Export. You can click on the Export Type in the next screen to bring up different export types. Normally if you export as a kmz or kml file , you can easily import that into GMaps or Google Earth to view.

Hope that this helps.
Old 20th October 2016, 11:43   #24768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What do you guys feel about the new Moto Z Play? Is it worth the extra cash of about 10k over the Moto G4 Plus? Moto G4Plus with exchange is about 9k, and the ZPlay is about 19k.

I wont be interested in any of the moto-mods, so will leave that out of the consideration. Just a head to head between the two phones.

I am veering towards getting the Moto G4 Plus and knock it around for a couple of years.
I am using G4 plus since last couple of weeks and i am not that happy with its performance. I do not play any games, but still the phone lags sometimes. I am comparing here with my earlier phone which was OPO.
Old 20th October 2016, 11:45   #24769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I am using G4 plus since last couple of weeks and i am not that happy with its performance. I do not play any games, but still the phone lags sometimes. I am comparing here with my earlier phone which was OPO.
Ouch. I am assuming this is the 3 GB version? I have a 2 GB Xperia Z right now.
Old 20th October 2016, 11:47   #24770
BHPian

Quote:
Ouch. I am assuming this is the 3 GB version? I have a 2 GB Xperia Z right now.
yes, it is 3GB/32GB version. and you know what, if i see that RAM, more than 1GB will be free, but still the device lags sometimes. battery is also average. notification light missing.
Old 20th October 2016, 11:48   #24771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yes, it is 3GB/32GB version. and you know what, if i see that RAM, more than 1GB will be free, but still the device lags sometimes. battery is also average. notification light missing.
That's quite crazy. It's got a 3000 MAH battery and what not. Are you sure you haven't gotten a lemon? Have you asked for a replacement from where you got it (online I assume?)?

Buying a good mobile phone's become more or less a lottery these days.
Old 20th October 2016, 11:51   #24772
BHPian

Quote:
That's quite crazy. It's got a 3000 MAH battery and what not. Are you sure you haven't gotten a lemon? Have you asked for a replacement from where you got it (online I assume?)?

Buying a good mobile phone's become more or less a lottery these days.
My friend also brought at around the same time and even his phone is exhibiting exactly the same behavior. So, i am assuming here that this is the 'normal' behavior of this phone?
Old 20th October 2016, 11:55   #24773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My friend also brought at around the same time and even his phone is exhibiting exactly the same behavior. So, i am assuming here that this is the 'normal' behavior of this phone?
My god. I'm taking that phone out of the equation then.

Are there any folks who will do a paid root and upgrade to a new ROM in Bangalore? Some IT/Phone shop kind of place? I have a MAC, and I am not very well versed in all this upgrade stuff. Kind of makes me wonder why I got the android as opposed to an iPhone.
Old 20th October 2016, 12:07   #24774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My god. I'm taking that phone out of the equation then.
You could consider the Moto X Play. Have been using the 2 GB ram 16 GB version for 6+ months and it works very well for me.

Typical usage on a daily basis
- 2.5 hrs of voice calls
- 3G/Wifi on most of the time
- 30 min of some light weight gaming
- Usual watsapp, facebook, TBHP, messaging, some browsing etc.

Even when i have a few apps open + some music running, it has never hanged and my RAM usage is about 60% on an average. A full charge lasts almost 2 days for me and the turbo charger does a brilliant job. GPS locks is very quick as I use it everyday to figure out which route to take for my 60 km commute. Added plus is its camera which is very good for the occasional snaps in moderate light conditions and its video capabilities are also not bad.

If you are looking for a no nonsense daily use android, then this should be a good phone to consider.
Old 20th October 2016, 13:06   #24775
Lij
BHPian

Quote:

From whatever reviews I have seen online the Moto Z Play is an excellent device for everyday use and much better compared to the Moto G4+.

The Moto Z Play uses Snapdragon 625 as its chipset with Adreno 506 GPU while the Moto G4+ has the 617 version with Adreno 405 GPU. This link gives a quick look at the 625 vs the 617.

Quote:
With the Snapdragon 625, the first thing you’ll notice is much longer battery life. The 625 supports up to 35 percent lower power usage than its predecessor, the Snapdragon 617, in typical smartphone use cases throughout the day. To put that in perspective, if your last smartphone got you only from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., your Snapdragon 625 device could last well past midnight.

With all that extra “on” time, if you’re a photography enthusiast—you’ll be able to get more out of the 4K HEVC camcorder and 24-megapixel camera (including 13MP selfies) with amazing image quality for the 600 series. And if gaming and “pwnage” is more your style, you’ll get more playing time, not to mention the superior graphics of the advanced Qualcomm Adreno 506 GPU. In short, whatever you do with your smartphone, the Snapdragon 625 is engineered to let you do more of it.
All the reviews point to a very good battery life (around 7-8 hours of SOT), fantastic gaming experience, a wonderful screen and premium build quality. Downsides being no OIS in the camera which will hamper low light photography and the loudspeaker volume.
Old 20th October 2016, 13:13   #24776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
From whatever reviews I have seen online the Moto Z Play is an excellent device for everyday use and much better compared to the Moto G4+.

The Moto Z Play uses Snapdragon 625 as its chipset with Adreno 506 GPU while the Moto G4+ has the 617 version with Adreno 405 GPU. This link gives a quick look at the 625 vs the 617.

All the reviews point to a very good battery life (around 7-8 hours of SOT), fantastic gaming experience, a wonderful screen and premium build quality. Downsides being no OIS in the camera which will hamper low light photography and the loudspeaker volume.
Thank you! This is a great explanation for a noob like me. Now, how does the Mi5 compare to the Moto Z Play? Both work out to roughly the same price. What is your recommendation?

I am very hesitant spending flagship money ever again on something like a phone, but out in the woods, when I am using maps, GPS, and a whole bunch of other things, I certainly do NOT want my phone to give up on me.
Old 20th October 2016, 13:24   #24777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys feel about the new Moto Z Play?
... Could it be my dream phone?

I don't know, because my first real knowledge of it came from the newspaper advertisement today, but... a phone with a Hasselblad "stick-on" camera? For real?

Just took a quick look at the prices on Amazon. Don't know the difference between the Z and the Z Play yet. Total cost, though, potentially a lot (maybe not for those who usually buy flagship phones) but if the combo works, technically, ergonomically, etc; if it is a really good phone and a really good camera, it could actually be an economic choice for someone who would buy both anyway.

Waiting and watching. New phones not on my available budget for foreseeable future; my current phone is barely 8 months old. But this is the first one, for a while, that has really caught my eye!
Old 20th October 2016, 13:28   #24778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... Could it be my dream phone?

I don't know, because my first real knowledge of it came from the newspaper advertisement today, but... a phone with a Hasselblad "stick-on" camera? For real?

Just took a quick look at the prices on Amazon. Don't know the difference between the Z and the Z Play yet. Total cost, though, potentially a lot (maybe not for those who usually buy flagship phones) but if the combo works, technically, ergonomically, etc; if it is a really good phone and a really good camera, it could actually be an economic choice for someone who would buy both anyway.

Waiting and watching. New phones not on my available budget for foreseeable future; my current phone is barely 8 months old. But this is the first one, for a while, that has really caught my eye!
Thad, it could be. With the exchange offer of my ancient Sony Xperia Z thrown in, this NEW Z is working out to be a tad under 20k. I think that's pretty good. I'm also trying to scrounge around other offers that may exist under a credit or debit card with the banks that I deal with.

What does the world think about this phone? Here's a review I am reading right now: http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-z-play

The Moto Z is an insane 40k. That's too much for me. I'm now thinking that the perfect sweet spot for a good solid workhorse phone lies between the 18-25k barrier. These are the real blue collar phones that just get things done.

hope I'm right. Thanks to Lij for pushing me in this direction.
Old 20th October 2016, 13:34   #24779
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! This is a great explanation for a noob like me. Now, how does the Mi5 compare to the Moto Z Play? Both work out to roughly the same price. What is your recommendation?

I am very hesitant spending flagship money ever again on something like a phone, but out in the woods, when I am using maps, GPS, and a whole bunch of other things, I certainly do NOT want my phone to give up on me.
Mi5 has flagship processor Snapdragon 820 with 4 GB RAM. It will of course in terms of pure benchmarks do better than Moto Z Play. As per early reviews Z Play is capable device though not so good on gaming.

If you want bigger screen then Z Play could be a choice but if you ok with small size then in terms of benchmarks Mi5 is better.

Though remember Z Play has memory card slot and Mi5 not. Also Motorola uses almost stock Android and pushes updates faster.

BTW look around as at this price point of 19 K you can get flagships of last year with very capable hardware.

Recently on Big Billion Day Flipkart sale bought for family member Moto X Style with Snapdragon 808 and 3 GB RAM for 17K. This price was 13K less then introduction price and if you go check online now its retailing for 26K.

I generally wait for flagship phones prices to drop and then buy instead of putting money on latest mid range sub par Chinese stuff.

Don't buy G4 Plus etc and wait it out, create a price drop alert on websites like mysmartprice and then buy a awesome phone at a bargain. (That's the beauty of Android).
Old 20th October 2016, 13:37   #24780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post

Don't buy G4 Plus etc and wait it out, create a price drop alert on websites like mysmartprice and then buy a awesome phone at a bargain. (That's the beauty of Android).
Thank you for this tip. What are the flagship phones you suggest I create an alert for a watch out? If you could give us a list, it will help peeps like me put some Swag out there

Most Viewed