Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 22:58   #24826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Since the item was out of stock for a replacement, the phone was returned for a refund which I am still awaiting.

So, in the mean time I bought the same item afresh as I liked and needed a Xiaomi RN3, alas forfeiting offers from the earlier purchase. The new piece arrived today and to my surprise, the same issue of mild electric shock from the back panel while charging is present with the new phone too. I took it to the service center and though they didn't check it physically as it was outside office hours, they said that there should not be the slightest of shock whatever be and added that I should return this too.

I tried charging the phone using another charger, another socket and another residence; still the issue persists. But I have to add that the issue is absent when the phone is being charged from the power bank.

I have no clue whatsoever.
Can anyone using the Redmi Note 3 confirm this? One of my friend who is using it denied the same on his phone, but the second time I asked him to observe a bit more carefully by lightly moving his fingers across the back panel, he got the electric tingling.

Is it true that every metal body phone gives some electric shock while being charged? I came across this info where someone else was feeling the same. But the advice is contradictory to what the local Xiaomi service center guys told.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-fe75c17265ac44078abb9b6d652ac5ae.jpg

Last edited by thoma : 25th October 2016 at 23:01.
Old 25th October 2016, 23:41   #24827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Landing cost of One Plus 3 after all discounts is around INR 25,000. No trading existing phone here as Amazon is offering pretty less than Flipkart.
You can try on sites like cashify.com to see how much you can get for your old phone, so that you can get a better idea about your net cost.

Quote:

Main requirements are, and in this order -

1) Efficient multitasking (6 GB DDR4 vs 3 GB DDR3 on paper specs)
2) Call quality
3) Finger print sensor sensitivity and accuracy
4) GPS lock
5) Volume quality on videos (mostly indoors)
6) Amateur photography
For these requirements, OnePlus 3 does seem better. Not only does it have 6GB DDR4 RAM, it also has UFS 2.0 storage which is faster than the eMMC storage on the Moto Z Play. So app loading/switching will be faster. But Moto Z Play also seems to be quite snappy, and I don't know if you will notice the difference much unless you compare them side by side, especially since you won't be playing heavy games.

I think camera is better on the OnePlus 3, but I'm not an expert and i have not seen a direct comparison.

Fingerprint sensor and call quality seem to be good on both.

Quote:

I am ok with Custom UI if performance is not a compromise.
Both of these come with nearly stock android and performance is not an issue. They both have some useful additions like quick gestures for torch and camera. I prefer the OnePlus implementation for these gestures. I also like the options in OnePlus 3 such as dark mode, choice for on-screen or off-screen navigation buttons.

Biggest advantage of Moto Z Play is the phenomenal battery life. The OP3 lasts a day easily for me since I am not a heavy user on most days. I am usually left with around 30-40% left at the end of the day, and I have access to charging point all day, so it's sufficient. But if you use the phone a lot all day, then you can consider the Moto Z Play.

Regarding expandable storage, for me 64GB is more than enough. I have currently used up around 30-32 GB and I don't think I will need a lot more than this so I'm fine in that regard. If you really feel you might exceed 64GB, then you can go for a phone with expandable storage. But I guess it will be a bit slower to access from SD card than from internal memory.

Quote:
C I asked him to observe a bit more carefully by lightly moving his fingers across the back panel, he got the electric tingling.
I just tried this on my OP3 and I felt it. Didn't really feel like an electric shock but more like very light vibration. I couldn't feel it when i just touched the back panel, but it seems to happen only when i moved my fingers on it lightly. Also I didn't feel it when i held it in one hand and touched with the other.

Last edited by JonSnow : 25th October 2016 at 23:52.
Old 26th October 2016, 09:57   #24828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello esteemed members!

Highly confused while choosing the next phone, hence, seeking your able guidance!

2 phones currently on the radar - Moto Z Play and One Plus 3.
One Plus 3 all the way mate. While I have not personally experienced the Moto Z Play, I am using the OP3 as my daily driver for several months now. Its been a solid user experience. The requirements which you set out are all excellent on the OP3. Add to it the superb form factor, lovely screen and dash charging, and you have yourself a winer. The difference in prices notwithstanding, OP3 continues to be one of the most value for money flagship phones this year. Go for it In fact, the Rs. 25000 price that you mention sweetens the deal even more.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th October 2016 at 10:04.
Old 26th October 2016, 10:42   #24829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone using the Redmi Note 3 confirm this? One of my friend who is using it denied the same on his phone, but the second time I asked him to observe a bit more carefully by lightly moving his fingers across the back panel, he got the electric tingling.

Is it true that every metal body phone gives some electric shock while being charged? I came across this info where someone else was feeling the same. But the advice is contradictory to what the local Xiaomi service center guys told.

Attachment 1570632
This got me interested. The charging voltage of a mobile is 5V normal and up to 12V Fast charging. At these voltages the resistance of body under dry conditions is very high. But the resistance can vary widely from person to person. For human beings to perceive the current it should be more than 1mA. Not many people can sense the current at such low voltages even if you hold the two terminals together. May be you are more perceptive to electric current. Any of your family members could feel the same? I don't trust the bunkums provided by service guy.
Since you tried another charger at another place, it may be an issue unlikely with ground isolation. Most of the low cost chargers won't have AC/DC ground isolation. So any stray voltages from the supply ground fan find path to earth through your body.
Old 26th October 2016, 11:09   #24830
Team-BHP Support

Not on a phone specifically, but I'm used to feeling slight electric currents in situations where almost nobody else can feel anything.

A few years ago, I actually replaced my newly-bought Samsung TV twice because I felt a slight shock on the back panel ports (which nobody else, family or installation technicians) could replicate. Thorough and patient testing of all electricals yielded nothing. They finally politely asked me to consider claiming a refund because there was no real solution to my 'problem'. I let it be, and I chalk all this upto being overly sensitive to electricity.

P.S. This only applies to barely perceptible current, and doesn't mean one should simply and broadly overlook all possible electrical faults. Get stuff tested by a competent electrician and if nothing turns up, let it be if it's not disruptive.
Old 26th October 2016, 11:54   #24831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This got me interested. The charging voltage of a mobile is 5V normal and up to 12V Fast charging. At these voltages the resistance of body under dry conditions is very high. But the resistance can vary widely from person to person. For human beings to perceive the current it should be more than 1mA. Not many people can sense the current at such low voltages even if you hold the two terminals together. May be you are more perceptive to electric current. Any of your family members could feel the same? I don't trust the bunkums provided by service guy.
I had tested my phone with 3 others too for confirmation. Interestingly, as I said earlier, one of my friend who owns a Redmi Note 3 first denied the issue but tried a second time more carefully on my request and he too confirms the same current/whatever.

But the most interesting thing is that the shock is not present while I charge using my power bank. And if the power bank is plugged in for charging, again the shock is felt. Any electronics gurus here?

Meanwhile I came across another piece of info about using capacitors to prevent radio interference, though I didn't understand a bit:

Quote:
Some AC-powered devices, presumably like those chargers, that don't have a ground prong use capacitors between the line/neutral and the metal parts of the case to prevent radio interference, etc. This can provide a path for a small current to flow from the line into the case so that you can feel a bit of a tingle when you make contact with them and a grounded surface. My guess is that the Nextech charger allows a bit more current to flow than the Asus one, but it's likely not dangerous in any case.
P.S: Surprisingly, today, the Mi community thread which had the screenshot of Xiaomi customer care's reply (the one I posted above) is taken down / under moderation.
Old 26th October 2016, 12:18   #24832
Senior - BHPian

Mi Mix has people raving. Even Marques is on-board! The new World's MOST interesting phone at the moment? Really, Marques!!

Last edited by dkaile : 26th October 2016 at 12:20.
Old 26th October 2016, 14:20   #24833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Mi Mix has people raving. Even Marques is on-board! The new World's MOST interesting phone at the moment? Really, Marques!!
Mi Mix looks rather beautiful --- but bezels don't just exist to obstruct beauty, they exist for protection too. I would not buy one of the wrap-around-glass models, and I don't have much confidence in this phone's ability to withstand even a small drop. Would be nice to be wrong about that!
Old 26th October 2016, 15:25   #24834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mi Mix looks rather beautiful --- I don't have much confidence in this phone's ability to withstand even a small drop.
To be fair, I don't think any of today's flagships, which have so much glass, some on either sides, have a really good chance of surviving a decent drop. But I, personally, have a problem with this phone's form factor. I find it to be on a thicker, read bulkier, side and also don't really find it 'beautiful' from the initial looks, say something like a Moto Z or a S7 Edge. Mi may be gambling to give us something new but will it really work?

Cheers...
Old 26th October 2016, 17:07   #24835
BHPian

Quote:
But the most interesting thing is that the shock is not present while I charge using my power bank. And if the power bank is plugged in for charging, again the shock is felt. Any electronics gurus here?
Not only phones, but I have noticed this behavior on all gadgets with a metal body. I can confirm the case with all iPhones in family and my Macbook too.
Old 26th October 2016, 17:37   #24836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No trading existing phone here as Amazon is offering pretty less than Flipkart.

Hi,
I would pick the OnePlus 3. It's a wonderful phone, and the dash charging is one sole reason to pick the phone over the Z play. I think it's well worth it's price tag.

Sell your old phone on Cashify or eBay.
Old 26th October 2016, 18:12   #24837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I can confirm the case with all iPhones in family and my Macbook too.
With regards to your macbook, make sure that you use the proper 3-pin cable with earthing. It will increase the durability of the device as well.
Old 26th October 2016, 18:27   #24838
BHPian

Everyone loves the OP3 - It is a great VFM Flagship. And the software tweaks are enhancement of Android rather than impediments. And a screen which is just awesome.

The only issue I have with it is (1) Camera Hump and (2) sub par audio (No DAC) - Only if wished were horses! That's what made me sit out. I hate putting phone covers (though I do use tempered glass) - So OPX it is for me, even now. Bought it on 1st Jan and still going strong.
Old 26th October 2016, 18:43   #24839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
For these requirements, OnePlus 3 does seem better...6GB DDR4 RAM, UFS 2.0 storage which is faster than the eMMC storage...Moto Z Play also seems to be quite snappy...I think camera is better on the OnePlus 3, but I'm not an expert and i have not seen a direct comparison...Fingerprint sensor and call quality seem to be good on both...Both of these come with nearly stock android and performance is not an issue. They both have some useful additions like quick gestures for torch and camera. I prefer the OnePlus implementation for these gestures. I also like the options in OnePlus 3 such as dark mode, choice for on-screen or off-screen navigation buttons.
Biggest advantage of Moto Z Play is the phenomenal battery life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
One Plus 3 all the way mate...have not personally experienced the Moto Z Play, I am using the OP3 as my daily driver for several months now...solid user experience...superb form factor, lovely screen and dash charging
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
For people considering Moto Z play, please note that the SIM2 slot does NOT support 4G. This is irrespective of whatever the specs say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi,
I would pick the OnePlus 3. It's a wonderful phone, and the dash charging is one sole reason to pick the phone over the Z play. I think it's well worth it's price tag.
Thank you all for your inputs.

One Plus 3 seems to be the favorite here! Not taking anything away from the Moto Z Play, which in itself is a solid phone. Just that the net is not that abuzz about Moto Z Play yet as much as it is about the One Plus 3.

I spent another good 10 mins with the Moto Z Play today, and personally speaking, I didn't find a novelty factor in it when compared to the Moto X Play.

As far as battery is concerned, availability of charging options throughout the day, except when travelling long distances, and availability of a dash charger should sort things out in favor of the One Plus 3.

No 4G on both the sims is a real deal breaker for me - more than the non-expandable storage on the One Plus 3. The way the mobile data market is shaping up, I am sure there's going to be multiple options for the customers in the days to come, and I would surely like to have dual 4G capability in my phone I am buying today in order to leverage the competition, not to mention the domination of different operators in different regions across the country.

For folks using One Plus 3 -

1) Can anyone please confirm that 4G works on both the sims on the One Plus 3, and that all it takes is to go into Settings and change the Mobile Data option to Sim-2 to be able to use the 2nd sim's 4G data?

2) My current phone has a pixel density of 441 PPI (5 inches, no AMOLED), where as the One Plus 3 has 401 PPI (5.5 inches, AMOLED). Can I expect a positive experience with the One Plus 3 considering brightness is set to the same level on both the phones, and viewing the same page?

3) Any issues reported connecting to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC and other such connectivity options while comparing the same set up to your older devices? (I mean, your older device connected to Wi-Fi just fine, however, One Plus 3 often disconnects, even though the router hasn't moved an inch. Similarly for Bluetooth and NFC)

4) Anything else that's mentioned in the specs on Amazon or other reviews, but actually is absent or doesn't work?

Thank you!

P.S. On a separate note, I am planning to gift a phone in the range of 12 to 15K - does Redmi Note 3 win hands down here? Reading the previous pages, I got a hint that it's got an issue with the ringer and the camera. How bad is it? How about the overall user experience since it's quite sometime our members are using it as their daily driver? Unfortunately, I don't have the Note 3 in my circle to be able to lay my hands on.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 26th October 2016 at 18:50.
Old 26th October 2016, 18:54   #24840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2) My current phone has a pixel density of 441 PPI (5 inches, no AMOLED), where as the One Plus 3 has 401 PPI (5.5 inches, AMOLED). Can I expect a positive experience with the One Plus 3 considering brightness is set to the same level on both the phones, and viewing the same page?

3) Any issues reported connecting to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC and other such connectivity options while comparing the same set up to your older devices? (I mean, your older device connected to Wi-Fi just fine, however, One Plus 3 often disconnects, even though the router hasn't moved an inch. Similarly for Bluetooth and NFC)

4) Anything else that's mentioned in the specs on Amazon or other reviews, but actually is absent or doesn't work?

Thank you!
Wont be able to comment on the first query, since I don't use two SIMs. On the other queries:
2) The screen is top notch. If you are a lover of vibrant AMOLED screens, which I certainly am, this one should satisfy you just fine.
3)NO issues whatsoever with connectivity options. For me, the most often used ones are Wifi and Bluetooth, both of which work great.
3) None that I can think of. All features work as advertised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks