Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:22   #24871
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Is there any memory card reader that can be used with USB-Type C port? I have a dash cam with micro SD card but my OnePlus 3 does not have micro SD card slot, so it is not possible to view the videos except on the cam itself, which is inconvenient due to the bad interface. I tried searching but I could only find readers having the old micro-usb connector, not the Type-C one.
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:02   #24872
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I've Mi3 with custom AOSP ROM from ivan. Its 4.4 Android.
I tried to install Android AOSP 5 or 6 from ivan itself.
But i think i made a mistake while installing and now on rebooting only CWM comes up with System1 and System2 options. I had not done any backup and don't know how to install AOSP or MIUI ROMs.
Please help me on how to go about installing any of the ROMs mentioned above.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:14   #24873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
But i think i made a mistake while installing and now on rebooting only CWM comes up with System1 and System2 options. I had not done any backup and don't know how to install AOSP or MIUI ROMs.
I don't own a Mi3 so my suggestions are based on similar experiences with other android devices that I have used.
  1. For redmi note 3, sometimes flashing a rom locks the bootloader and messes up the recovery. Is this the case with Mi 3 too?
  2. By CWM, do you mean recovery or just CWM logo? If you are able to boot to recovery then simply wipe and reinstall?
  3. If recovery is missing, then can you reboot to fastboot mode? Use the hardware buttons. If fastboot mode is accessible then you can flash custom recovery from laptop. I hope you have adb and fastboot setup on your computer / laptop.
  4. Once recovery is in place, use enable MTP in recovery to copy rom on phone / sd card and redo the wipe-flash sequence.
  5. once you reach fastboot, the other option is to use mi pc suite to install the stock rom. The only risk is that you will lose all data on internal storage.

By the way, how did you get the AOSP rom in first place if you don't know how to install AOSP / MIUI roms?
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:38   #24874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hi my requirement has been updated.
I'm sure 25k is a reasonable budget for this spec sheet. Which phones would stand up?

- Fairly good camera. Think iPhone 6 level, not Pixel level.
- Very good speakerphone. The kind where you can listen to a conference call easily while taking a bath, or while shopping in a busy old Delhi market
- Should be able to record phone calls without rooting and trying to install different apps. Xiaomi phones are brilliant at this, with the call recording feature built into the dialer.

a. Mi5 is my standout favorite even though I haven't spent much time with it esp with the camera. reason being I love the MIUI.
b. OP3 - does it record calls?

I would say Mi5, looks good and specs are pretty awesome at the price point.

Oneplus 3 is also pretty good in its own right. Actual users can better comment on your specific requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
It had some issues like fingerprint sensor being active when in the pocket, aggressive memory management and some issue with auto-brightness, but those were all fixed and right now i have no complaints on any aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Having used the OP3 for the last 4 months as my daily driver.Highly recommended especially at the price at which it retails at this time.
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:08   #24875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
My only gripe with the OP3 is the lack of a memory card slot. I need that slot to store my flacs :( i keep looking at my wife's OP3 in envy :P

And the dash charge is pretty good.
OP3 graphite is out of stock it seems? 'Supposedly' a newer version is going to hit the stands in Jan 17?
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:10   #24876
Senior - BHPian

Yep. Allegedly called the One Plus 3T [T for Turbo]

Snapdragon 821 Processor, LCD display though and Android Nougat. But could be priced higher than the OP3
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:29   #24877
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Hope Holiday s went well.

I have a Mi4i bought last year. Phone is great and solves my purpose.
Issue is now I got myself a Jio Sim, and Mi4i is 4G but without volte support, and Mi has not provided any ota patch for Volte.

It is not much important for me to have volte, but was thinking it may be good way to eliminate some apps like way2sms and Jio4G voice.

If any has been successfull with custom ROM or other idea for Volte. Please share your experience.
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:11   #24878
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
My 5S was being updated to 10.1.1and it was slow, me being impatient, tried to hard reset it and it went to restore mode with itunes logo on the screen. Tried to update it with a MacBook Pro but I keep getting outage after every 600/700MB of download and the requirement is for 2.15GB Don't think I can attain that w/o an outage.

What bugs me and is of poor concept is, when the internet is back to working after an outage of ~30 secs, it goes back to 0 KBPS.
Quote:
This is the final nail in owning Mac devices, I was about to buy a iMac but just the right time this issue occurred. My friend's MacBook Pro is suffering from the same issue.

I don't think I will get that a stable connection for Mac devices to operate.
I need a phone, preferably with a small screen but should be as fast as the iPhone I was using.

Friends hint me to buy the One Plus 3. I do not wish to spend a fortune by buying the Pixel or S7 edge and frankly, I don't like those phones either.

Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:26   #24879
BHPian

Quote:
I need a phone, preferably with a small screen but should be as fast as the iPhone I was using.

Friends hint me to buy the One Plus 3. I do not wish to spend a fortune by buying the Pixel or S7 edge and frankly, I don't like those phones either.

Thanks
The One Plus 3 is anything but small. You'd be better off with the regular S7 (not the edge ) or try the Sony Xperia lineup.

The only good small devices are from Apple . Don't rule them out just because of the update issues. Try downloading with a Jio connection. My MacBook Air was able to pull down 6GB without any interruptions on Jio and this is in a metro city where Jio network is quite crowded. I get way better speeds in small towns.

A new SIM might be all that you need. Sorry for sounding like a Jio ad
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:30   #24880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
I have a Mi4i bought last year. Phone is great and solves my purpose.
Issue is now I got myself a Jio Sim, and Mi4i is 4G but without volte support, and Mi has not provided any ota patch for Volte.
Hi ritz3645,
I don't think Mi4i has the antenna for VoLTE. I have one myself and tried to see if it was possible to enable VoLTE but couldn't do it.

Quote:
Hi Sheel,
OnePlus 3 is the beast of all phones and it's pretty fast. Other than the Lenovo Z2, I can't think of any 5 inch phone with high end specs.

All android phones are big, it's a problem you have to live with.
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:38   #24881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi Guys,
I've Mi3 with custom AOSP ROM from ivan. Its 4.4 Android.
I tried to install Android AOSP 5 or 6 from ivan itself.

Thanks,
Ramki
You need to repartition System. Follow this guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiao...5#post58591075

and

https://jrizzoli.github.io/dotfiles/

Last edited by Ferrari1976 : 3rd November 2016 at 17:40.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:13   #24882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I removed the card, put it in a memory card reader and scanned it in my desktop. Some bad sectors were fixed. No problem after that so far.
This is one problem with not having Windows on any machine: I do not CHKDSK to cope with MS-format-type cards etc, and the Linux tools do not do the same stuff.

I do have a "Bart's PE" CD, which boots, essentially, to XP. If I have to CHKDSK something and, yes, that does happen both with cards and HDDs, I boot that.
Old 3rd November 2016, 20:14   #24883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
OP3 though is touted to be a 5.5" phone, it does not feel big or heavy in the hand. The in-hand feel is very user friendly and feels premium. You can try out the phone if any of your friends have it and see if it works for you. If it does it is good. Else you can look at Mi5 which is damn light for a 5.1" phone and also feels premium in hand. It is much more handier than the OP3 and many a iphone users who were on 4s and 5s I know have switched to this and are happy with their choice 2-3 months down the line. Specs wise it cannot beat the OP3 but you can have it for almost 12k lesser than the OP3 with offers of cash back from various banks.

BTW I am a Redmi Note 3 Prime user for 5 months and the 3GB RAM on the phone has kept it going without any lags so far with 2 mail accounts, watsapp, a few games and regular youtube! With a better SoC and similar RAM, Mi5 should serve you well if usage is moderate. Heavy user - then definitely look at the OP3.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 3rd November 2016 at 20:16.
Old 3rd November 2016, 20:19   #24884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Is there any memory card reader that can be used with USB-Type C port? I have a dash cam with micro SD card but my OnePlus 3 does not have micro SD card slot, so it is not possible to view the videos except on the cam itself, which is inconvenient due to the bad interface. I tried searching but I could only find readers having the old micro-usb connector, not the Type-C one.
Why do you need to view it on your phone ?
Isn't it easier to plug it into a PC and copy/save it ?

Most micro cards come with a regular SD card adapter like this one, which you can insert into a PC SD card slot. (assuming your pc has one )

If you dont have it , just pick up a low capacity cheap micro sd card which will come with a card adapter like this one below
Free Adapter
Old 3rd November 2016, 20:54   #24885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Why do you need to view it on your phone ?
Isn't it easier to plug it into a PC and copy/save it ?

Most micro cards come with a regular SD card adapter like this one, which you can insert into a PC SD card slot. (assuming your pc has one )

If you dont have it , just pick up a low capacity cheap micro sd card which will come with a card adapter like this one below
Free Adapter
Many people, like me, don't own a PC anymore. They are obsolete.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks