Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 06:49   #25231
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am facing a problem connecting my s7 edge to my laptop as mobile hotspot. It used to connect with ease but from yesterday is refusing to connect. The device is being detected by mac but on connecting it shows could not connect and try moving the phone closer. Also tried to connect it to a windows laptop and wife's iPhone and again was unable to. Tried restarting all the devices but the problem persists. Till 2 days back it was connecting without any problem. Any idea what may be wrong?
Try changing the wifi network name and try again. I had faced a similar issue with my iPhone 5s and changing the WiFi network name resolved it for me.
Also ensure that you've chosen allow all devices to connect when you tap on ur wifi name in the Hotspot menu.
Old 18th January 2017, 08:45   #25232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I have upgraded my 3T on the 01st Jan using a vpn connecting to Canada. The only issue I have noticed is that I can't switch users now, otherwise its fine.
For all the talk of Andriod N - there are very little real benefits that I see; if anything I liked the app switcher before - now its a huge page itself

I use the Nexus Launcher on pretty much all my phones - it's cleaner than 3T's original launcher - yes, I do miss the shelf but that's a small compromise.

Also - do people use the phone naked? No Tempered Glass or No Back Cover? I could not find any decent skin for this hence would want some kind of protection, specially with kids around
Old 18th January 2017, 09:05   #25233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
For all the talk of Andriod N - there are very little real benefits that I see; if anything I liked the app switcher before - now its a huge page itself

I use the Nexus Launcher on pretty much all my phones - it's cleaner than 3T's original launcher - yes, I do miss the shelf but that's a small compromise.

Also - do people use the phone naked? No Tempered Glass or No Back Cover? I could not find any decent skin for this hence would want some kind of protection, specially with kids around

Check out dbrand. They make some of the best quality skins. A red CF skin will look amazing on the grey/black OP3. Picking up a set from the international site directly is cheaper than buying from amazon.
Old 18th January 2017, 09:34   #25234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
My daughter [18 months old] has the habit of misusing my wife's phone. Any strong phone recommended which won't fall apart easily? 32 or 64 GB would be prefereed. Price = <20K

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I'm yet to find a phone which is toddler proof. It's better to invest in silicone covers and tempered glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
If you find one, please let me know .
My 2 and 1/2 year old almost totaled my wife's MotoX play.
How about a Moto X Force with Otterbox or Amzer case and a good tempered glass? Moto also mentions 1 year standard warranty on the phone and 4 year crack/shatter warranty for the screen and lens. At the time of writing, 32gb is 26999 and 64gb is 29999. Specs are outdated for the price but considering manufacturers treat screen replacement as out of warranty and how much they charge for repairs, this can be a good deal in the long-term.

Amazon Moto X Force 32GB and Amazon Moto X Force 64GB
Old 18th January 2017, 09:46   #25235
Senior - BHPian

X Force is still a good buy. The SD810 is pretty decent but the 3760mah battery is a life saver

The only downer is that it gets no love from the company in terms of updates. Still on Dec 2015 security patch!
Old 18th January 2017, 10:28   #25236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
The contacts are not a problem, its the text messages which are becoming a pain. I've tried NFC also to transfer but for some god-forsaken reason, it just won't go through. Any other leads for text messages?

Thanks.
The trick I used was downloading Transfer my Data on my Lumia, then exporting the messages as vmg to the sd card, then importing them to my android using a vmg converter app from playstore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
X Force is still a good buy. The SD810 is pretty decent but the 3760mah battery is a life saver

The only downer is that it gets no love from the company in terms of updates. Still on Dec 2015 security patch!
Didn't Moto X Force got Marshmallow update? As far as I know, moto even said it will be updated to Nougat. If they are getting OS updates then atleast they will get security patch of that version's initial release month.

Last edited by Debajyoti : 18th January 2017 at 10:30.
Old 18th January 2017, 10:33   #25237
Senior - BHPian

It came with the Marshmallow update preinstalled i think. Don't remember. But not getting the monthly updates for a year is disappointing :(

And in the moto website the x force is not even listed in the devices that are scheduled to get updates :(

https://motorola-mobility-en-in.cust...14/action/auth
Old 18th January 2017, 11:18   #25238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
How about a Moto X Force with Otterbox or Amzer case and a good tempered glass? Moto also mentions 1 year standard warranty on the phone and 4 year crack/shatter warranty for the screen and lens. At the time of writing, 32gb is 26999 and 64gb is 29999. Specs are outdated for the price but considering manufacturers treat screen replacement as out of warranty and how much they charge for repairs, this can be a good deal in the long-term.

Amazon Moto X Force 32GB and Amazon Moto X Force 64GB
Thank you for suggestion. I was also pretty much inclined to Moto Force.
Only issue, missus is on Motorola for last 4 years (moto g 1st generation and the totaled moto x play) and not inclined to go for another Motorola. Secondly, I feel a degradation of quality of moto after lenovo take over, could be purely my biased view. Again a very very bad experience of my BOL for Moto M gets my wife also paranoid on a Moto again.

Quote:
It came with the Marshmallow update preinstalled i think. Don't remember. But not getting the monthly updates for a year is disappointing :(

And in the moto website the x force is not even listed in the devices that are scheduled to get updates :(

https://motorola-mobility-en-in.cust...14/action/auth
Lenovo is not very well known on sending security patches as far as I know.
Old 18th January 2017, 11:28   #25239
BHPian

Quote:
I have the otterbox and the flip cover along with a curved tempered glass from one plus. I am currently using the flip as the otterbox makes it look large...
Old 18th January 2017, 11:42   #25240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Get the Spigen ones. There are two models available. If you just want a back protection then the Nillkin ones are apt. The Orzly transparent case was pretty good but turned yellow within a week :(
Old 18th January 2017, 12:09   #25241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Upgraded to Andoroid 7 (VPN to Canada) and then handed over the phone to him.
Sorry NOOB question, are there any benefits of this? I purchased this phone for my wife and it performed an update but I didn't check if it were Android 7. I think hers is Cyanogen and whatever was permitted for India.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:09   #25242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Check out dbrand. They make some of the best quality skins. A red CF skin will look amazing on the grey/black OP3. Picking up a set from the international site directly is cheaper than buying from amazon.
know about dbrand - but Gosh they are expensive in India - will check their Intl. prices. I like my phone black

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I have the otterbox and the flip cover along with a curved tempered glass from one plus. I am currently using the flip as the otterbox makes it look large...
Curved Tempered from One Plus? Did not find that on their site. It shows out of stock and 1600 approx

Quote:
Get the Spigen ones. There are two models available. If you just want a back protection then the Nillkin ones are apt. The Orzly transparent case was pretty good but turned yellow within a week :(
Have the Spigen, is fairly decent, covers the camera bump but makes the phone look bigger than it usually is, but yeah - at home it is an absolute must.

Has anyone checked out the Nokia 6? Looks brilliant but has fairly mid sized specs and are only available in China as of now. I feel so nostalgic about that brand - would love to see it come back and be a challenger to Apple really. It has the brand image going in their favour - just hope they are sensible about their phones.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:15   #25243
Senior - BHPian

Well if you want tough protection it would make phone look bulky unless its the UAG series. Love their cases. Slim yet offering great drop protection.

Nokia 6 is a start. Nokia 8 would be the flagship. Hopefully they find their feet and bring out something exciting along with other companies.

2017 looks like the year where bezels disappear off flagships.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:37   #25244
BHPian

Quote:
in the moto website the x force is not even listed in the devices that are scheduled to get updates :(
The official Moto blog released a list of phones that will get Nougat update, X Force was in that list. The full list can be found here.

Quote:
Only issue, missus is on Motorola for last 4 years (moto g 1st generation and the totaled moto x play) and not inclined to go for another Motorola. Secondly, I feel a degradation of quality of moto after lenovo take over, could be purely my biased view. Again a very very bad experience of my BOL for Moto M gets my wife also paranoid on a Moto again.
Pre-Lenovo Moto had good build quality and almost Nexus like software updates. But under Lenovo they no longer have those qualities anymore.

Quote:
Lenovo is not very well known on sending security patches as far as I know.
Moto E3 power was abandoned within one month after release
Old 18th January 2017, 12:39   #25245
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I remain doubtful but if it does come then i would be all the more happier

Most Viewed