Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2017, 14:47   #25756
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Let me add one woe with my old Motorola. The signal will drop quite often (one cannot be too sure whether it is the phone or the network). Also, moving from town to town esp across states the signal will just vanish, making a manual search and restart almost mandatory. I suspect the signal issue was peculiar to the phone, since my wife's phone, now an htc worked perfectly. That too is Voda 4G.
Old 29th May 2017, 14:56   #25757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me add one woe with my old Motorola. The signal will drop quite often (one cannot be too sure whether it is the phone or the network). Also, moving from town to town esp across states the signal will just vanish, making a manual search and restart almost mandatory. I suspect the signal issue was peculiar to the phone, since my wife's phone, now an htc worked perfectly. That too is Voda 4G.
I have 2 MOTO phones at home and never had any issues with the signal drop or such thing. And in my friend's circle, many of them are using MOTO phones and I have never heard any signal issues from them either. I am not denying the issue that you are facing with your phone, but could this be just a one-off incident kind of thing where the issue could be specific to your mobile?
Old 29th May 2017, 16:46   #25758
BANNED

@kavensri; The acid test for me was my wife's mobile. The issues started once I ported to 4G on our Voda's. As for loss of continuous signal on roaming it happened with me, as well as my son who is in Gurugram on Airtel.
Old 30th May 2017, 20:47   #25759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I have 2 MOTO phones at home and never had any issues with the signal drop or such thing. And in my friend's circle, many of them are using MOTO phones and I have never heard any signal issues from them either. I am not denying the issue that you are facing with your phone, but could this be just a one-off incident kind of thing where the issue could be specific to your mobile?
+1 to this.
My wife has used Moto G1 - Moto g turbo - Moto g4
My father - g turbo
Mother - Moto x
Me - moto Ming, Moto e 2nd gen 4g - Moto g4
Father in law - Moto G1 - g4 play

Network has been one area where the Moto has been flawless. Miss that kind of quality on Samsung.

Last edited by amalji : 30th May 2017 at 20:49.
Old 31st May 2017, 15:38   #25760
BHPian

Has anyone tried Smartron's srt.phone? Specs looks good; NFC, USB-C, 4 GB RAM 32/64 GB for 13k / 14k.
Old 1st June 2017, 16:48   #25761
Team-BHP Support

Any users of S7 who migrated to S8? How has the experience been? Worth it?

I find S8 less premium looking than S7 from back. From front of course, S8 wins.
Old 1st June 2017, 18:51   #25762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I have a 5 year old Nexus 4 which I use as a driving companion with all the navigation/gps apps, OBD scanners, HUD displays etc. It works beautifully except for poor battery. I have a 8GB model and always wished I purchased a 16 GB one (no microSD slot in Nexus 4)
Bumping up this thread before I try the swap over weekend. Please share your thoughts.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2017 at 06:56. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
Old 1st June 2017, 20:22   #25763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any users of S7 who migrated to S8? How has the experience been? Worth it?

I find S8 less premium looking than S7 from back. From front of course, S8 wins.
How often do you exactly look at the back man? Go for it. It's better than S7 anyday.
Old 1st June 2017, 22:26   #25764
Senior - BHPian

My 2 years and 9 months old HTC Desire 816 seems to be conking off. It's battery is not holding power (though level showing above 50%), the phone is restarting every now and then.

Now please advise about the options I have -

1.) Get a new internal battery (probably duplicate battery from amazon/ebay) and get it replaced from mobile repair shop.

2.) Buy a new full fledged phone - preferably a flagship, because my phone is the device I use the most (more than my car/bike/laptop or any other gadget at home). In Flagships, I am eyeing Samsung S8 plus. Google Pixel is still quite pricey and so is the iPhone 7/+.

3.) Buy a new budget phone - preferring Moto G5 plus and save some money on depreciating asset. But have the filling of you live only once!

Except for being a bit slow these days with poor battery life, I was having good time with my old HTC Desire 816. My earlier phone was HTC One V which was 2 years old when it conked off! No current offering from HTC is tempting to me. Same old design lines they are following since last 3 years or so.

Please suggest, I might have to decide in a day or two. Can't go without phone more than that.
Old 1st June 2017, 23:17   #25765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

2.) Buy a new full fledged phone - preferably a flagship, because my phone is the device I use the most (more than my car/bike/laptop or any other gadget at home). In Flagships, I am eyeing Samsung S8 plus. Google Pixel is still quite pricey and so is the iPhone 7/+.

Take the plunge, go for the S8 : as you said, you only live once. Id pick the S8 over the S8+ since the device is easier to handle, and reaching top and bottom of the screen is easier. The S8+ will offer around 15-20% more battery life though.
If your looking at the iphone, get the 7 plus for sure. Huge battery life difference, additional RAM and the dual camera are worth the premium, though the phone is huge to handle.
Old 2nd June 2017, 01:48   #25766
BHPian

Quote:
Now please advise about the options I have -

1.) Get a new internal battery

2.) Buy a new full fledged phone -

3.) Buy a new budget phone -

Please suggest, I might have to decide in a day or two. Can't go without phone more than that.
Since you seem to be a heavy user I wouldn't suggest getting battery and trudging along with the HTC. Give it rest. Buy a new phone.

Amongst second and third option, why not have the best of both worlds and get a flagship-like phone which still doesn't cost half a kidney at about 60-90 thousand.

That would be the 25-30 thousand range. You get hardware almost as good comparably to the "flagships" but at half the price with damn good specs to boot. I'd strongly suggest the OnePlus 3T here if you go down this path. You can have 6gb ram with 64/128gb ROM on tap. 820 processor. Big battery. Within 30k.

If you don't mind a bit toned down then the Moto Z Play also rocks with slightly lower spec heart. Almost same price.

But if you're hell bent on spending close to a lac then the sky is the limit. If I had that much money I'd go for the LG G6 though. I'm not a Samsung fan and I'm done with Apple long back. But that's personal choice/s of mine.

Having a lac in hand, you're the boss. Regardless if you go for S8/S8+ or the big Apple or then Pixel, who is going to question you? . Point is, you should enjoy and feel the value of the money you spent. Happy shopping.
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:08   #25767
Senior - BHPian

S8+ with 6 GB RAM and 128 GB memory launching on June 9 on Flipkart and Samsung site for 74,900/-. Will come in Midnight Black color and free wireless charger worth 4,499/-.

Cheers...
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:25   #25768
Distinguished - BHPian

75k is a lot of money! I'll wait for the OP5 launch this month and then take the plunge between a G6, OP3T, OP5, S8+ and S8.
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:34   #25769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
75k is a lot of money! I'll wait for the OP5 launch this month and then take the plunge between a G6, OP3T, OP5, S8+ and S8.
But seriously! Such thoughts never seem to occur in the minds of people who buy Iphone 7plus 😁
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:15   #25770
BHPian

Quote:
3.) Buy a new budget phone - preferring Moto G5 plus and save some money on depreciating asset. But have the filling of you live only once!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Take the plunge, go for the S8 : as you said, you only live once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
But seriously! Such thoughts never seem to occur in the minds of people who buy Iphone 7plus ��
On the phone I would ask you to wait for the OP5.

This is OT but very relevant to what I hear from people on this thread : 'you only live once'

We have been dumbed down using this by marketeers (same as in Diamond rings, cars) as they want you to literally maximize your spend. It really gets you nowhere. Again, let me be the first in saying, there is no problem in buying any phone/any object, but lets not use this logic of you live only once - That is a fact - So What?
One can use that statement for any number of valid and invalid reasons.

The way I look at it, is money in my pocket feels much better than money in the pockets of these giant conglomerates.. And if I have to spend that kind of money then it really needs to be on something that gives me much more satisfaction than just owning a phone.

I don't mean to sound preachy or anything, just a thought that popped up as the other day I was listening to a podcast about the founder of TOMS

To me that is how you live. Peace.

Most Viewed