Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2017, 20:38   #25786
BHPian

Finally fell for the S8. Enjoying the first few moments with the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1496588895667.jpg  

Old 5th June 2017, 08:19   #25787
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any 4.5 to 4.7 inch android phone with 3GB RAM or higher and having 64 GB internal memory?
Old 5th June 2017, 14:04   #25788
Oxy
BHPian

The Moto Z2 Play is here.

http://motoz2play.com/?utm_source=Go...0zORoCZLDw_wcB
Old 5th June 2017, 23:17   #25789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My 2 years and 9 months old HTC Desire 816 seems to be conking off. It's battery is not holding power (though level showing above 50%), the phone is restarting every now and then.

Now please advise about the options I have -

1.) Get a new internal battery (probably duplicate battery from amazon/ebay) and get it replaced from mobile repair shop.

2.) Buy a new full fledged phone - preferably a flagship, because my phone is the device I use the most (more than my car/bike/laptop or any other gadget at home). In Flagships, I am eyeing Samsung S8 plus. Google Pixel is still quite pricey and so is the iPhone 7/+.

3.) Buy a new budget phone - preferring Moto G5 plus and save some money on depreciating asset. But have the filling of you live only once!

Except for being a bit slow these days with poor battery life, I was having good time with my old HTC Desire 816. My earlier phone was HTC One V which was 2 years old when it conked off! No current offering from HTC is tempting to me. Same old design lines they are following since last 3 years or so.

Please suggest, I might have to decide in a day or two. Can't go without phone more than that.
Carried conservative approach and went for the 1st option. Got internal battery replaced for 1K. Hope to use my HTC for some more time.

I almost bought Galaxy S8 plus, but the battery replacement option seemed better for my capital. Will get my phone from service center tomorrow.

Now waiting for iPhone 8
Old 6th June 2017, 01:39   #25790
BHPian

Anybody with actual battery times for the V20? Looks like the only chink in the otherwise military grade armour.
Old 6th June 2017, 06:24   #25791
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Anybody with actual battery times for the V20? Looks like the only chink in the otherwise military grade armour.
I am a moderate-to-heavy user and my phone battery lasts for a day (charge everyday evening after getting back from office). The cycle was pretty much same for my previous phone S7 Edge.
Old 6th June 2017, 10:49   #25792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I am also a moderate user and have had no issues with the V20 battery. Could it be better? Sure. But you get by. Got myself an Anker 10,000mah quickcharge3 powerbank and it's a charm to use.

You could also buy the extra battery and charger for optimum usage At 31,500 it is an amazing phone to buy. The qaud dacs are amazing if you have high impedance headphones. They have spoiled me to an extent that i'm getting 24bit FLAC songs now
Old 6th June 2017, 11:09   #25793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am a moderate-to-heavy user and my phone battery lasts for a day (charge everyday evening after getting back from office). The cycle was pretty much same for my previous phone S7 Edge.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I am also a moderate user and have had no issues with the V20 battery. Could it be better? Sure. But you get by. Got myself an Anker 10,000mah quickcharge3 powerbank and it's a charm to use.

You could also buy the extra battery and charger for optimum usage At 31,500 it is an amazing phone to buy. The qaud dacs are amazing if you have high impedance headphones. They have spoiled me to an extent that i'm getting 24bit FLAC songs now
Wow. It's come down to 31 now? Cool! Yes, the DACs is the main reason I would buy this if at all. Never had an LG before and this seems to be the first LG which caught my attention. Only was bugged by reviews that all LGs start losing battery steam as they cross a year or so of usage.
Old 8th June 2017, 08:51   #25794
Team-BHP Support

iPhone 7's size appears perfect, any android phone recommendation in that size or a bit smaller? S7 is bigger [currently using that]

I just hate having a big screen phone, very inconvenient to use for someone who stuffs phones in his jeans pocket and rides around. I don't use cars to commute.
Old 8th June 2017, 10:26   #25795
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
iPhone 7's size appears perfect, any android phone recommendation in that size or a bit smaller? S7 is bigger [currently using that]

I just hate having a big screen phone, very inconvenient to use for someone who stuffs phones in his jeans pocket and rides around. I don't use cars to commute.
I'm using the pixel 5 incher and it is the right size I feel.
Old 8th June 2017, 11:07   #25796
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Finally fell for the S8. Enjoying the first few moments with the same.
Any way of disabling Bixby. I think it is a pain, so will like to at least stop this loading at every start from standby.
Old 8th June 2017, 11:21   #25797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any way of disabling Bixby. I think it is a pain, so will like to at least stop this loading at every start from standby.
Did not even try as Bixby is not at all interfering with my activities and usage of the phone ( not even after starting from standby ). I am not sure if there is a particular option to disable it.
Old 8th June 2017, 19:26   #25798
Oxy
BHPian

Oneplus 5 to be available from June 22 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=g-wl-e-pc...9R5P1ZYAT9XXAN
Old 8th June 2017, 21:31   #25799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
I'm using the pixel 5 incher and it is the right size I feel.
One more vote for the Pixel.Almost same size as iPhone, extremely fluid user experience, unlimited storage, guaranteed updates for 3 years and one of the best cameras in the market.

It is obviously not flawless - would have loved proper water resistance rather than splash resistance and OIS. Also battery​ life is average and nothing great. But with the cash back offers ,it is decently priced and offers arguably the best Android experience.
Old 8th June 2017, 22:06   #25800
Senior - BHPian

For those who are worried about battery performance of Android phones, I can recommend this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm

Give it about a week to ten days to build a profile of your battery drain, and then it is fairly accurate.

The reason I started using it was that my Nexus 5 was showing signs of battery stress; and the app confirms that based on my usage and the battery's current state I can get about 1.5-2 hours on a full charge. Currently I walk around with a 20000 mAh powerbank which is incredibly useful (Mi; hat tip to Chetan Rao). But of course I need to upgrade the phone.

So to those who are used to the Nexus line, what after the 5? I use it primarily as a data phone (about 12-15GB a month); with a separate Moto E2 for my call needs. So for me audio/video performance (1080p or better), tethering and (Airtel) 4G support are key requirements. And now that I am so used to pure Android I don't want vendor customisations. Wouldn't want to go beyond 30K so Pixel is out of the question.

Most Viewed