Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2017, 16:04   #26146
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Check this out.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/60084488.cms

If this is true the only option is to load developer/3rd party ROMs on Chinese phones including OnePlus, Gionee, Oppo, Vivo among others plus other on brands like Samsung. I'd include Moto as well. Unfortunately the iPhone has no such option. Of course for those who don't care too much about privacy this is a non-event.

I think this has been triggered by the border stand off and the Indian Govt. is making it clear trade ties will be affected.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th August 2017 at 16:08. Reason: Typos
Old 16th August 2017, 16:29   #26147
Distinguished - BHPian

Privacy is so 20th-century
Old 16th August 2017, 16:59   #26148
Team-BHP Support

This ain't straightforward to resolve, and I'm not sure the govt. has the right tools or people to formulate & enforce such measures.

The primary argument will always revolve around consent, and it's a huge grey area.
Old 16th August 2017, 21:29   #26149
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi my dad had been using a Motorola X play. He had not been using any security lock feature on the phone. Now I was planning to sell the phone off and was doing a factory reset and the phone asked me for a device PIN. Now maybe he had put in some PIN while setting up the phone 2 years back and then de-activated it. But moral of the story is that now I cannot reset the phone. I have tried all the probable PINs he could keep and they didn't work. How do I reset the phone now?

PS: I had already sold the phone on OLX after deleting all files and data manually from it. But the buyer returned the device as he could not set any security lock on the device without putting in the device PIN.
Old 16th August 2017, 22:12   #26150
BHPian

Downloading v8.5.4 for Redmi note 4. Have anyone out here updated this new release ? Please pass your feedback.
Old 16th August 2017, 22:24   #26151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi my dad had been using a Motorola X play. He had not been using any security lock feature on the phone...
Have you tried a factory reset from recovery mode?
Old 16th August 2017, 22:29   #26152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Have you tried a factory reset from recovery mode?
I read about it on google as to how can i rectify this. But I am not very tech savvy and was apprehensive in doing it and damaging the device further.
Old 16th August 2017, 22:43   #26153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I read about it on google as to how can i rectify this. But I am not very tech savvy and was apprehensive in doing it and damaging the device further.
What version of Android is the phone (check under Settings>About Phone)? If it's 5.1 or above, it needs a couple of steps before you can factory reset it safely.

Also, is a Google Account configured on it (you can verify that under Settings>Accounts)?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th August 2017 at 22:49.
Old 17th August 2017, 00:30   #26154
Senior - BHPian

Reposting since no one responded:

On a side note, LG had the amazing V20 on sale for 30k. I almost picked it up except for the infamous bootloop reported on a few forums. What is the opinion of members here? Its back up to 35.5k, but I'll wait for the next sale!
Old 17th August 2017, 05:31   #26155
Senior - BHPian

The LG v20 is back to 30k - how come no one has a perspective on an otherwise great device (drooling over the Quad DAC). What I found interesting is the unhyped review of the 1+5 on XDA

https://www.xda-developers.com/despi...eplus-5-great/
Old 17th August 2017, 06:58   #26156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Check this out.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/60084488.cms

If this is true the only option is to load developer/3rd party ROMs on Chinese phones including OnePlus, Gionee, Oppo, Vivo among others plus other on brands like Samsung. I'd include Moto as well. Unfortunately the iPhone has no such option.
Happy user of Redmi Note3 with Resurrection Remix ROM. Said good bye to Miui because it forces you to sign into Mi account even to be able to change your ring tone. For the not so vigilant user, it will also set up Mi cloud upload and within hours, your photos and videos get into Mi Cloud as well.
Old 17th August 2017, 07:16   #26157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
On a side note, LG had the amazing V20 on sale for 30k.

What is the opinion of members here? Its back up to 35.5k, but I'll wait for the next sale!
From a regular user point of view, it’s brilliant. I traded in my S7 egde for the V20 and very happy with the decision. Its sturdy, screen is awesome, audio quality is really good, and I have no issues with the LG interface. The camera is good but not as good as the S7 (especially in low light). Unless something better comes thru I have decided to stick to the LG V series for my future android upgrades
Old 17th August 2017, 07:51   #26158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What version of Android is the phone (check under Settings>About Phone)? If it's 5.1 or above, it needs a couple of steps before you can factory reset it safely.

Also, is a Google Account configured on it (you can verify that under Settings>Accounts)?
It is running on Android 6.0.1. I had deleted the google account and all other accounts before selling off the phone but I guess I can easily configure my google account on it again.
Old 17th August 2017, 10:30   #26159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The LG v20 is back to 30k - how come no one has a perspective on an otherwise great device (drooling over the Quad DAC). What I found interesting is the unhyped review of the 1+5 on XDA

https://www.xda-developers.com/despi...eplus-5-great/
It's a steal at that price. Using it for past few months now. Love the camera and the amazing quadDACs

Bootloops was a thing of the past mainly on the G4 [i was a victim] i reckon. On the V20 it was reported by people using low quality usb-c cables [go figure]. Has it changed?
Old 17th August 2017, 13:55   #26160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is running on Android 6.0.1. I had deleted the google account and all other accounts before selling off the phone but I guess I can easily configure my google account on it again.
Also check if the 'OEM Unlocking' option is ON in Developer Options.
You can find it in Settings>Developer Options>OEM Unlocking (If you can't locate Developer Options, enable it in Settings>About Phone>repeatedly tap 'Build Number' until you get a 'You're now a developer' message).

Back to Developer Options, If OEM Unlocking is OFF, try turning it ON and see if it asks you for the PIN or proceeds without it.
If you're able to turn it ON, proceed to factory reset using the following steps:

Quote:
  1. With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
  2. Press the Volume Down key to highlight Recovery mode.
  3. Press the Power key to restart into Recovery mode.
  4. The screen will display an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
  5. While holding down the Power key, press and release the Volume Up key, then release Power.
  6. Use the volume keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select it.
  7. Scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key to select it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th August 2017 at 14:02.

Most Viewed