Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:25   #26356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Works on my S8+. I have the Verizon version though.
Carrier branded and international models have quite different update paths. My S8+ and the home minster's S8 both don't have this feature. ( both are Indian dual SIM variants)
Old 23rd September 2017, 14:14   #26357
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

If not, please connect your lumia to an Outlook/live/hotmail account and then download the contacts from that onto to your pc. Then transfer the .csv file to your Redmi.(or alternatively upload that in the gmail account that is linked to your Redmi)
Thank you! I synced the Lumia with my outlook account - imported the contacts to my google account on the PC - synced the Redmi with the gmail app and the contact list was updated.
Old 23rd September 2017, 23:09   #26358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Congrats on the Note 8.
I have S8+. Apparently, after the August update which was 600+mb, this quick launch was disabled. There is no option to enable it in the settings.
There is one way to quick launch the camera from the lock screen:
Go to "Always on Display"
Select "double tap home button (place where the home button would be) on the screen"

Thanks for your wishes.

Cheers
Old 24th September 2017, 12:37   #26359
BANNED

So the S7 was delivered back home yesterday in Ludhiana. Dad checked it thoroughly and it was in fine condition. Was anxious because have never bought something this expensive, online. Can't wait to go home next week and use it.
Old 24th September 2017, 21:11   #26360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
No one I know owns one. I have seen one in person at Croma. But that was just my luck cause the phone isn't available at stores.

Price is down to 45k plus hdfc discount on Amazon. Same price on Flipkart with SBI discount.

Finally picked up one in Sapphire Blue
High five man!

After much agonizing on the camera performance through almost 20+ youtube comparison videos, I gave in to it. The value was just overwhelming. Somehow, the units on Amazon were sold very quickly (proof of their march over FK?) on 20th noon itself so ordered the Solar Red on FK today.

The specs are comparable / better than a 66k S8+. Even if this lasts only two years, my need would be met.

Agam - I'm a consultant always on the road. iPhone hates 2G with a vengeance that leads to enough call drops. I use android only for dual-SIM even though I love the iPhone cameras and find them best in class Thanks for demystifying the tech. And congrats on your acquisition!

https://www.slashgear.com/oneplus-sp...ates-22501184/

Good job 1+

I normally don't like their products because of their excess hype, but this move is truly worthy of everyone's respect. Un-bundling the apps makes them accessible to all, as well as makes the OS updates much faster. Kudos!

Quote:
The problem with baked apps is that you can’t easily update them without rolling out a firmware update. And a firmware update has to go through the entire process of testing that it won’t break user’s devices in a very bad. That seems like a ridiculous amount of work to put in just to display a gallery app.

That is why OnePlus is divorcing its built-in apps from the ROM and putting them up on Google Play Store. These include the OnePlus Launcher, Community, Weather, and Gallery apps. This means that OnePlus can push updates to those four as fast as they can and users can update them without upgrading the whole system.

It also hopefully means that OxygenOS rollouts should also be faster, now that they don’t have to include non-essential software in the firmware.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th September 2017 at 23:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 25th September 2017, 07:39   #26361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Inputs needed for a phone purchase in USA!

Requirements:
- No iPhone
- No Samsung. Worse case S7 Edge.
- Should be Unlocked, preferably with some warranty.
Try Amazon, they have a number of unlocked phones and carry warranty.
Some options are Moto G plus, Alcatel 5S to LG G6, V20.
Old 25th September 2017, 08:32   #26362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
iPhone hates 2G with a vengeance that leads to enough call drops. I use android only for dual-SIM even though I love the iPhone cameras and find them best in class
Recently shifted from Airtel to Jio (primary & only no) and amazed to note the call clarity and battery life. iPhone is a completely changed phone with Jio (iP7).

That HTC looks really good and specs are worth the price, size a tad too big. You got one?
Old 25th September 2017, 09:57   #26363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Inputs needed for a phone purchase in USA
I purchased the OnePlus 5 on launch day, when in US, as my Redmi had an issue.
Old 25th September 2017, 12:57   #26364
Senior - BHPian

Was using Redmi Note 3 since last June. Had it first major fall somewhere in April/May and the screen cracked from low right. Continued using it without any problems and it fell again, this time top left cracked. Screen still worked alright so continued using it ( I use the phones as long as they can go on). Finally couple of days back it fell again, impact was again on top left and the part of the screen is now all shattered.

Somehow I found the Redmi more slippery than any other phone I had used earlier.

I never buy phones higher than 10-12k. The costliest I bought was HTC desire X for some 13k. Their life is limited to 2-3 years max, after which they either get obsolete or battery dies out.

Saw the Redmi Note 4 at good discount on Flipkart but without the SBI card, could not bring myself to buying it. Finally managed to find someone with SBI card, and ordered the 4GB/64GB version (along with a cover) for 10k. Looking at how well the Redmi Note 3 held on even after cracked screen, took the plunge.
Now lets see how well it fares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I am yet to get used to the size coming from a 4.7 inch screen phone, this one feels big and bulky.

Bought a cheap flexible rubber case from the nearby shop but I like the phone to be used without cover.

Heard that FK sold more than a million MI phones during their BigBillion Days.
Be careful. I too had bought a case for my Note 3 which did not last long and I never got another one because it feels much better without cover, but it was very slippery. It had many falls which it survived, but if it falls on its edges, the screen is gone.

FK already had approx 4.5 lakh reviews of this phone, before the sale began

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 25th September 2017 at 13:22.
Old 25th September 2017, 13:16   #26365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Saw the Redmi Note 4 at good discount on Flipkart but without the SBI card, could not bring myself to buying it. Finally managed to find someone with SBI card, and ordered the 4GB/64GB version (along with a cover) for 10k. Looking at how well the Redmi Note 3 held on even after cracked screen, took the plunge.
Now lets see how well it fares.
I ordered one too and got it delivered yesterday.
Initial impression are positive. The phone is fast being a 4GB RAM variant. However approx 2GB of it is always used by the system.
Can't complain for the price I paid.

I am yet to get used to the size coming from a 4.7 inch screen phone, this one feels big and bulky.

Bought a cheap flexible rubber case from the nearby shop but I like the phone to be used without cover.

Currently it's on MIUI 8.5.8.0. MIUI 9 update will bring the split screen feature.

Heard that FK sold more than a million MI phones during their BigBillion Days.
Old 25th September 2017, 14:29   #26366
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Is there a navigation app in iOS / Android which lets you create a group and enables you to see the group members cars?? Couple of friends are going away on a weekend trip and it would be nice to see each other on the map just to know how far away the others are?

Since we all not starting from same point it's also good to set a route and just monitor each other's cars?

Regards,
Old 25th September 2017, 14:51   #26367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello All,

Is there a navigation app in iOS / Android which lets you create a group and enables you to see the group members cars??
The "Share Location" on Google Maps should be helpful for this.
Old 25th September 2017, 14:59   #26368
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any feedback on the MI A1?
Its a little too big for my liking but specs do look good - other than the missing NFC.
Old 25th September 2017, 15:01   #26369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
High five man!

After much agonizing on the camera performance through almost 20+ Youtube comparison videos, I gave in to it. The value was just overwhelming. Somehow, the units on Amazon were sold very quickly (proof of their march over FK?) on 20th noon itself so ordered the Solar Red on FK today.
Congrats man !
We could be the only 2 on this forum with a U11
My phone got delivered Friday evening and I have been enjoying every bit of it! Sweet deal for a highly underrated device. That red color is gorgeous but I was not sure if I could pull it off. Enjoying the sapphire blue. Will upload a pic soon.
Old 25th September 2017, 15:09   #26370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Be careful. I too had bought a case for my Note 3 which did not last long and I never got another one because it feels much better without cover, but it was very slippery. It had many falls which it survived, but if it falls on its edges, the screen is gone.
From what I've heard RN4 is definitely more delicate than RN3 because of 2.5D curved glass.

If you come across any cover or case with a bit premium feel then please share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Does anyone have any feedback on the MI A1?
Its a little too big for my liking but specs do look good - other than the missing NFC.
If screen size is an issue then you can go with Moto G5 Plus. Plus the Moto has a better camera too.

MI AI in addition has an infrared sensor which lets one use it as a remote control for your TV, STB, air conditioner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks