Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 20:16   #26461
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post

- Redmi 3s prime doesn't work in the US).
Are you sure about this? it supports LTE and that should work in the US right? I have the 3S prime, though not scheduled to visit US anytime soon, I may go there next year.
Old 4th October 2017, 20:54   #26462
Senior - BHPian

S8 + owners - How much battery life are you getting from your phone?

Are you satisfied with the battery life. I am not sure if it is just me or what but I have noticed significant drop in battery life after 2-3 system updates by Samsung.
Old 4th October 2017, 22:13   #26463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Immediately I felt too suffocated on the stock android. Had to buy ES File explorer as it did not come with any and Pi Music player. I was missing MIUI already within 5 minutes of unboxing. Too enable the battery percentage display you have to unlock the system UI tuner!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Thanks for your 'timely' post. I was about to buy this one (whenever it is available) and after seeing the issues listed, I cannot buy this now. Though first 2 issues from the list i can live with, 3rd one is BIG NO for me.
(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
To those who are complaining against Mi A1- did you try a factory reset and updated your phone to the latest one? I am not facing any issues mentioned by you. Occasionally there is a network issue, but i can live with it. After close to 3 weeks of usage, I am still happy with Mi A1 and I feel this is the best phone till date by Xiaomi.
I did extensive checks with my Airtel SIM Card, it came out that the airtel sim was having issues in SIM Slot 1 too. Got it checked then Airtel guys said that the promotional 6 months pack on my Airtel number is deactivated, hence I am seeing 2G. Coincidence that it happened along with my change in phone too.

I tried another airtel number in Slot 2, and it worked fine with 4G speeds.

So my earlier observation was incorrect, I would like to state the facts, that the phone does support 4G in both the slots, but only one SIM at a time. You can deactivate SIM 1 and then SIM 2 will start supporting 4G connection.

Since I had earlier complained about it, its only fair that I post the clarification now.

The other issues are there, but I can live with it. I too had to download ES File Explorer to see files in the phone. It downloads 2 more apps which keep on throwing ads. This is the time when MIUI is missed a lot. It has lots of these features, which are good.

Network issues are there with Mi A1, lots of people have complained online, the phone loses coverage, but its not gone to a severe level yet. Manageable so far.

I was about to return the Mi A1 to flipkart (they have return for this device, while all other purchases have replace only). However, for now will stick to this phone and use it for some time.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their inputs.
Old 4th October 2017, 23:29   #26464
BHPian

Has anyone here bought a mobile phone from Gearbest.com? Have been looking for a phone that should be primarily lightweight and must-have a fingerprint sensor. Prefer a 5-5.2 inch screen size. Not looking to spend a bomb either. Not a heavy app user. Typically use WhatsApp, True Caller, Uber/Ola and PayTM.

Currently use the OnePlus 1 and looking for something much lighter (loved my earlier Lumia 925, which I thought was perfect).

The only phone I could find with decent specs was the Vernee M5 on GearBest.com. Very seriously contemplating buying that. Decent specs and very VFM pricing, but not sure of the entire buying process and hassles of customs if any.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 4th October 2017, 23:39   #26465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Are you sure about this? it supports LTE and that should work in the US right? I have the 3S prime, though not scheduled to visit US anytime soon, I may go there next year.
Sadly, yes. I had Redmi 2 Prime till Feb '17 and found that it doesn't work (I took a Roam1 International SIM). Another friend had Redmi 3S Prime, he travelled in April '17, took at Matrix International SIM, and even that didn't work.
We then figured out that telecom carriers in US do not have the Band + Frequency combination for 3G/4G that Redmi devices have. See the US Carrier Bands here.

Now, have a look at spec sheet for Redmi 3S Prime (you'd need to open it on desktop and "Expand" the "Network" row). You'd note that India variants do not have the appropriate Band + Frequency combinations. Same is the case for Redmi 2 Prime.
Old 5th October 2017, 00:02   #26466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

The other issues are there, but I can live with it. I too had to download ES File Explorer to see files in the phone. It downloads 2 more apps which keep on throwing ads. This is the time when MIUI is missed a lot. It has lots of these features, which are good.

Network issues are there with Mi A1, lots of people have complained online, the phone loses coverage, but its not gone to a severe level yet. Manageable so far.
You don't have to deactivate the SIM, whichever SIM would have network data enabled in SIM settings would become 4G active and other would work as 3G or 2G, in case of JIO as it supports only 4G network the SIM would not be able to connect to the network and will be deactivated.
I too had to buy ES File explorer just to get rid of the annoying ads, miss the MIUI feature where I could just disable the data for any selected apps and get rid of ads.
I have the black variant and have not faced any issues with the network so far.
It's just that the reviewers sang songs praising it's camera so much that I was expecting something good, but it turned out to be bad. Meanwhile I missed the opportunity to upgrade to a better camera phone which would have been LG G6, one of the reviewers RevAtlas clearly mentioned Mi A1 has both the wide angle and the telephoto lens but in reality there is no wide angle lens it's just the regular camera lens. He even compared LG G6 and 1+5 camera samples to conclude that MiA1 was better or at par with the devices. Never going to trust that paid content uploader again ever. I have been taking pics with the redmi note 3, i5s, 1+ 3T, redmi note 4 ever since in a hope that maybe MiA1 would outshine them once, but except the fake bokeh effect there isn't much to rejoice about, even Redmi Note 4 has better camera performance in some scenarios. Totally disappointed.
Old 5th October 2017, 00:48   #26467
BHPian

Quote:
Honor 7x is coming soon, in under 10 days. Wait for it.
edit: just rechecked, it will be launched on 11 October in China, may take sometime to come to India.
Wow! Any major upgrades from 6X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I have both and I clearly prefer the Honor 6x. Excellent dual camera, fast charging though it's not advertised. Both of these are pluses over the K6 Power. Monthly updates is also what surprises me every month on the 6x. So far has been smooth and lag free experience after 6 months of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I concur.
What was supposed to be a stopgap device has turned into a keeper.
I too shifted from the RN3, and this is a really good phone for the price. Lag free, fast camera, Good Camera, and charges in a jiffy as mentioned
Thanks Guys!

Good that you say, lag free considering it has something other than snapdragon for a processor. I haven't heard of this processor, elsewhere.

Also, it does NOT have stereo speakers as in Lenovo K6 Power.

Last edited by JMaruru : 5th October 2017 at 00:54.
Old 5th October 2017, 00:56   #26468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I too had to buy ES File explorer just to get rid of the annoying ads
A word of recommendation for fx file explorer. I have the paid version anyway, so can't say how ad-free the free version is, but ES... got banned from my phone.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:16   #26469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Anyone using a LG G6? Any views on this phone?

Some say the cameras are good, but mostly the camera reviews are bad. So just want to check on some real world usage.
Vid has already replied. Let me put it this way - it is better than 1+5 (another hype machine which lacks OIS btw!) in camera but action shots - forget it. Consider the U11 at that price. i bought it and its amazing esp for bikers - edge sense truly works. Here's a shot at 4am, given my terrible panning skills, and zero cooperation (the helis were rolling) and crazy compression by whatsapp. A good photographer can truly max it with this phone. S8+ specs at 66% price.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-whatsapp-image-20171003-04.56.24.jpeg

Quote:
I bought Mi A1 during Big Billion Day sale.
Very bad choice coming from Mi4i
2. No internet speed indicator. Mi4i, had this option where I could see the speeds on the top bar
How does speed help you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any feedback on Honor 6X?

My sis lost her RN3 on Mumbai local and I need to get her a new device.
So what would be a worthy replacement for RN3?

I have been looking closely at Honor 6X. The other contenders are Lenovo K6 Power.
She needs a good camera, preferably stereo speakers and obviously good call quality.

Please advise!!
6x. See photos by yogesh sarkar on instagram - phenomenal camera phone at this price. besides fast charging, the camera sensor is the SAME as mi6 or mi mix2 but doesnt have OIS.

Quote:
So my earlier observation was incorrect, I would like to state the facts, that the phone does support 4G in both the slots, but only one SIM at a time. You can deactivate SIM 1 and then SIM 2 will start supporting 4G connection.

Since I had earlier complained about it, its only fair that I post the clarification now.
a. use engineer mode tool to switch nicely and easily. I use it to set 2G only. RN3 on MIUI8 would never stick to 2G only in calling SIM
b. Check other options out, I'm sure there's enough file explorers besides ES - it is too painful now IMHO.
Old 5th October 2017, 09:18   #26470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

6x. See photos by yogesh sarkar on instagram - phenomenal camera phone at this price. besides fast charging, the camera sensor is the SAME as mi6 or mi mix2 but doesnt have OIS.
Or by Bobby Roy.

Any of you getting the Pixel 2?
Old 5th October 2017, 09:34   #26471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any of you getting the Pixel 2?
Really unimpressed with Pixel 2. Not even wireless charging in a flagship in this day and age. Lots of software enhancements and AI but no dual cameras. As we petrolheads say, there's no replacement for displacement, Lolz... I would skip this version.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th October 2017 at 09:36.
Old 5th October 2017, 09:43   #26472
BHPian

Quite imperessed by the pixel 2 xl actually. Lots of small things that add up. Only thing that does not add up is the price. Like apple there is a high mark up for Indian customers.

Look at Samsung. The note 8 is a USD 1000 device selling for 67k in India. But Google and apple are charging us quite a bit more than their US prices.
Old 5th October 2017, 10:53   #26473
Senior - BHPian

Samsung to earn 14.3 billion $ from iPhone X sales 😲😲

http://www.androidauthority.com/japa...g-oled-805103/
Old 5th October 2017, 10:59   #26474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
How does speed help you?
it helps in deciding if a download is to be done on data Or to be skipped to be done on good Wifi Speeds. Also as mobile is not at one location, when traveling it helps understand what way browsing needs to be done wrt the speeds given by the telecom service provider.
Old 5th October 2017, 12:00   #26475
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy J7 pro. The main reasons behind this selection were premium looks, 3600 mAh battery, AMOLED touchscreen, a separate slot for SD card & Samsung Pay.

Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro is the only mid-range phone with Samsung Pay. I assigned all my Debit Cards and credit cards in Samsung Pay. How is it? How does it work? Has anyone used Samsung Pay? Any user review? Please help.

Regards
Shreyas
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed