Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2017, 12:22   #26626
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
You may want to try it by shutting off your internet connectivity - both WiFi and mobile data and see if it is able to send out messages.
Tried now and the SMS was sent successfully. Hence an internet connection is not required to send SMS through this app.
Old 1st November 2017, 12:25   #26627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Tried now and the SMS was sent successfully. Hence an internet connection is not required to send SMS through this app.
OK.
Looks like it was a strange behaviour only on my phone!
Old 1st November 2017, 13:04   #26628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I do think it needs an internet connection to send out SMS since it did not send out a test message when I blocked the app on my firewall. When I enabled it on the firewall, the message got sent out.

You may want to try it by shutting off your internet connectivity - both WiFi and mobile data and see if it is able to send out messages.
I don't know what firewall you use, but I just tried with WiFi off and no data from one phone of mine to the other. It worked, as I expected it to.

I think it defaults to Internet SMS, but that can be easily changed in Settings > SMS Options > Default.
Old 1st November 2017, 14:49   #26629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post

I am sold for this one feature, wherein a OTP is sent and we get a Copy option right in the notification. Hats off to Microsoft!!
Agreed. It is a lovely feature but one that Google refuses to incorporate! Seems they are too US centered. That said MIUI had this feature for over two years now

@Ferrari: Agree. But my brother is adamant after a really bad experience with repair for Mi3 screen.
Old 1st November 2017, 21:01   #26630
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.
Will try it out this weekend.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:47   #26631
BHPian

Razer just announced it's new phone and it looks super beastly. The specs are top of the line, especially the 4000mAh(with QuickCharge 4) and the 120Hz screen. At $699, it seems really good value unless you are super brand-conscious. The only problem is that it doesn't seem they're going make it available in India anytime soon.
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:48   #26632
Senior - BHPian

Tried the MS SMS app. Great app. But does not address my particular need.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:25   #26633
Team-BHP Support

Tried the SMS Organiser app. Pretty good, but a deal-breaker for me that it doesn't display notifcations on Moto ambient display.

Moving back to Messages.
Old 7th November 2017, 21:07   #26634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Naveeno: LG v20 has a replaceable battery One of the last of a dying breed. Get a spare battery/charger for around 40 dollars and voila!

PS: I have the V20 and not really struggled for battery life. I do have a powerbank which supports QC3.0

Listening to High Res 24BIT FLACs of Iron Maiden on the phone is just bliss.
Yeah the replaceable battery is a very good option. I considered it but man, I've got used to this mammoth 4850 mah battery. Since I patched up my Mi Max again with a new battery and installed LineageOS, I am loathe to part with it.
Old 8th November 2017, 08:57   #26635
BHPian

Battery size is no more a concern With the modern 10nm and 14nm efficient processors.

Gone are the days when smartphones used to struggle delivering 2-3 hours of screen time, now you can easily see the screen time of 7-8 hours, or even more with the 2800-3000 mAH batteries. Turbo charging capability has made the things much more convenient. Smaller batteries help keeping the phone thinner, smaller and lighter.

Bigger batteries with old tech 28nm processors make the phone bulkier and take forever to charge so the purpose is defeated.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th November 2017 at 09:00.
Old 14th November 2017, 08:39   #26636
Senior - BHPian

The HTC U11 is available for 45K in Amazon. A dip of 6K from the initial price. I was eyeing it for some time and decided to go for it yesterday. The Pixel XL was also available for similar price but the 6 GB RAM and the latest SoC along with the great earphones made the deal a no-brainer.

The G5+ is being sold off. The camera has never gotten switched on when I needed it; always had to restart the app, not to mention that the pic quality itself is not satisfactory. It was a smooth machine otherwise. But this was too big a compromise to keep for 2 years.

I think the U11 might get an extra year of updates compared to Pixel because it almost a year younger, hopefully If it gives me 90% of what my Nexus 5 gave me, I am a satisfied customer.

Somehow the 1+5 is still not as appealing as phones with stock or almost stock Android. Maybe three years later, it will be a different story.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 14th November 2017 at 08:42.
Old 14th November 2017, 08:54   #26637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
The HTC U11 is available for 45K in Amazon. A dip of 6K from the initial price. I was eyeing it for some time and decided to go for it yesterday. The Pixel XL was also available for similar price but the 6 GB RAM and the latest SoC along with the great earphones made the deal a no-brainer.

The G5+ is being sold off. The camera has never gotten switched on when I needed it; always had to restart the app, not to mention that the pic quality itself is not satisfactory. It was a smooth machine otherwise. But this was too big a compromise to keep for 2 years.

I think the U11 might get an extra year of updates compared to Pixel because it almost a year younger, hopefully If it gives me 90% of what my Nexus 5 gave me, I am a satisfied customer.

Somehow the 1+5 is still not as appealing as phones with stock or almost stock Android. Maybe three years later, it will be a different story.
Using one right now. One of the best Android phone at the moment never mind the bezels. Edge sense is genuinely useful, its delightfully free of bloat that korean phones come with and camera is pretty darn fanstastic with excellent auto focus speeds. The only problem is that my 3.5 mm adapter has stopped working even though the supplied Usonic headphones work just fine. Apparently this is an issue with the handset. Visiting the store for them to check the same. Enjoy your phone.
Old 17th November 2017, 09:20   #26638
BANNED

Anyone using the Nokia 3 here. I am looking for very basic use - phone, SMS, WhatsApp, Outlook for corporate mail, Ola, maps very occasionally, browser and nothing more. Is it good enough?
Old 17th November 2017, 15:30   #26639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
I'm tilting towards the Nokia 8 due to stock Android, superior camera and audio quality.
Did you end up getting the Nokia 8? Any shortcomings or remorse worth mentioning?
Old 17th November 2017, 15:41   #26640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Anyone using the Nokia 3 here. I am looking for very basic use - phone, SMS, WhatsApp, Outlook for corporate mail, Ola, maps very occasionally, browser and nothing more. Is it good enough?

Reviews on amazon do not look interesting at all. Get the Redmi 4 with 32GB/3GB instead. It is a much better option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks