Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2018, 21:57   #26866
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
No idea about the exact launch date but it should not be taking too long in my opinion.

It still has a 5.65 inch screen though, but these days you have drastically reduced bezel sizes.
5.65 inch should be fine since it is about 5.15 inch in 16:9 aspect.

To make matters worse, my Nexus 5X died a couple of hours ago. It doesn't boot and goes blank after the "Google" logo. Can go into fastboot, but can't proceed to recovery. Again "Google" logo and blank screen.

Looks like I have to be shopping for one for myself too. I already had my eyes set on the Honor View 10 recently.
Old 13th January 2018, 22:06   #26867
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Looks like I have to be shopping for one for myself too. I already had my eyes set on the Honor View 10 recently.
The Honor V10 looks brilliant as well.

My wife uses a Honor V9 and it is pretty darn awesome for what it offers in that price range.

I am also itching to upgrade from my good old Redmi Note 3

The Samsung A8+ is going to come soon, you might want to take a look at that for your Nexus replacement.

Last edited by Oxy : 13th January 2018 at 22:16.
Old 15th January 2018, 08:13   #26868
Team-BHP Support

Question on the Pixel 2 XL - does it have the option to store photos only in Google Photos, or it allow to store just in the phone? I did not see a dedicated photos app when I check the phone in store last week.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:05   #26869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Question on the Pixel 2 XL - does it have the option to store photos only in Google Photos, or it allow to store just in the phone? I did not see a dedicated photos app when I check the phone in store last week.
Assuming Pixel 2 XL is like Nokia 8 (it does not have a dedicated gallery app either), it will store pics and videos in both phone and Google Photos.

When you take a photo, it always stores in the phone first. You can access it using the file manager. Only when you enter an area with mobile data access or wifi, then it uploads to Google Photos (keeping a copy behind on the phone).

- You can opt to delete photos on the phone automatically after uploading to Google Photos.
- You can opt to upload pics to Google Photos only when you have access to Wifi (to save on mobile data)

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th January 2018 at 09:09.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:08   #26870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Assuming Pixel 2 XL is like Nokia 8, it will store pics and videos in both phone and Google Photos.

Google Photos is not just about cloud. Its also the default Photo Gallery App for the phone. Within the App you can browse the photos that you took. It seamlessly works to upload them to the Google cloud in the back ground.

Last edited by ampere : 15th January 2018 at 09:14.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:16   #26871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Google Photos is not just about cloud. Its also the default Photo Gallery App for the phone. Within the App you can browse the photos that you took. It seamlessly works to upload them to the Google cloud in the back ground.
Aah yes, you are right. I switched on the airplane mode and took a photo, but it still shows up in Google Photos (on the mobile).
Old 15th January 2018, 09:21   #26872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quote:
Aah yes, you are right. I switched on the airplane mode and took a photo, but it still shows up in Google Photos (on the mobile).
Thank you both!
Currently I use only the default photo app in my LG V20 and the Google Photos App is lying unused in one of the sub-folders. I may get to change the V20 in the next couple of months and I was looking at Pixel 2 XL as the possible option.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:54   #26873
BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying that a photograph that was clicked when the phone was in airplane mode (with no internet access) was visible in Google Photos without the phone being taken off the airplane mode? Are you sure that the phone was not connected to the internet over WiFi when it was in airplane mode?
Old 15th January 2018, 09:59   #26874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Are you saying that a photograph that was clicked when the phone was in airplane mode (with no internet access) was visible in Google Photos without the phone being taken off the airplane mode? Are you sure that the phone was not connected to the internet over WiFi when it was in airplane mode?
Yup. It will show in Google photos. Many phones like Nokia and NExus /Pixel devices use Google photos as the default gallery app. So if you click a pic it will save locally in Google photos. When connected to Wi-Fi that will get synced with the google photos cloud account.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:03   #26875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Airplane mode switches off Wifi too. In the airplane mode, the photos show up only on Google Photos app (on the phone) and NOT on http://photos.google.com (cloud).

When you switch OFF the airplane mode (wifi/mobile data ON), after about a minute or two, the photo taken on the mobile shows up on http://photos.google.com
Old 15th January 2018, 10:22   #26876
BHPian

Quote:
~Airplane mode switches off Wifi too. ~
Thanks for clarifying.

However, though WiFi would be turned off when the phone is put on airplane mode, the WiFi could be individually turned on, though the phone is on airplane mode, hence my question.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:28   #26877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Currently I use only the default photo app in my LG V20 and the Google Photos App is lying unused in one of the sub-folders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Many phones like Nokia and NExus /Pixel devices use Google photos as the default gallery app.
I think I have made a minor discovery of sorts. "Google Photos as Gallery app" is NOT a Nokia/Nexus/Pixel feature, but a feature of Google Photos app.

I now have the same functionality even on my iPhone! That is, I take a photo on my iPhone and it shows up instantly on Google Photos (iphone app) and a minute later, on http://photos.google.com

You two have LG V20 and LG G6. Do the following (on any android or iOS phone actually) -

1) Download Google Photos app
2) Sign in to Google Photos app using your Android login email ID
3) The app will ask you for access to your gallery.
4) Now go to Google Photos app settings and choose how or when you want Google Photos app to upload pics to cloud (Eg: keep a copy on phone, upload using wifi only etc).

You are all set. Now you have the same Google Photos functionality as Pixel/Nokia on your phone. Take any photo on your mobile, and it shows up instantly on Google Photos app and in a minute or two on http://photos.google.com (cloud)

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th January 2018 at 10:32.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:43   #26878
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think I have made a minor discovery of sorts. "Google Photos as Gallery app" is NOT a Nokia/Nexus/Pixel feature, but a feature of Google Photos app.

You are all set. Now you have the same Google Photos functionality as Pixel/Nokia on your phone. Take any photo on your mobile, and it shows up instantly on Google Photos app and in a minute or two on http://photos.google.com (cloud)
That's how it's setup on my Lg G6. Reason is I have a Nexus 5X as well and was so used to Google photos. I just couldn't use the LG gallery app.

It's the same for SMS app with Google SMS. Now even the file explorer is Files GO way better than LG or the other popular third party ones.

What I meant was in Nokia/Nexus/Pixel the Google Photos app is the only gallery app by default. Whereas other devices you need to download and install Google photos and substitute that phone's gallery app with Google photos.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:22   #26879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
When connected to Wi-Fi that will get synced with the google photos cloud account.
Just a quick point (to those who are uncomfortable with this feature): you can disable the synchronization via Photos app > Settings > Backup and Sync > Off. After which you can choose to sync only individual photos by selecting them and choosing Backup Now from the overflow menu (the three dots menu).
Old 15th January 2018, 16:06   #26880
BHPian

The quest for my next phone has brought me to the following options:

OnePlus 5T

Honor View 10

LG G6

LG V30 - This is a real stretch

I really seem to like the View 10, but its a very niche phone as of now. Its priced well too. I really wanted to buy the V30 when it was launched, but the bad reviews on the screen and the puny front camera are deterrents.

Any others I can try in the above price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Samsung A8+ is going to come soon, you might want to take a look at that for your Nexus replacement.
After owning the S3, I do not have any liking towards Samsung. Apart from the Galaxy Alpha, there is no Samsung I had fancied owning.

Most Viewed