Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The quest for my next phone has brought me to the following options:

OnePlus 5T

Honor View 10

LG G6

LG V30 - This is a real stretch

I really seem to like the View 10, but its a very niche phone as of now. Its priced well too. I really wanted to buy the V30 when it was launched, but the bad reviews on the screen and the puny front camera are deterrents.

Any others I can try in the above price range?

After owning the S3, I do not have any liking towards Samsung. Apart from the Galaxy Alpha, there is no Samsung I had fancied owning.
What's wrong with the screen?

And the front cam should not really be much of a deciding factor in my opinion. While the MPs are ancient, the wide angle is a nice touch to have when you forget your selfie stick.

Wish it was available in the offline channel. Really want to get a hands on before deciding to buy it.
Old 15th January 2018, 16:44   #26882
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Any others I can try in the above price range?
Other phones launched in 2017 between 30k and 40K price range -

Mi Mix 2
Nokia 8
Blackberry Motion
Honor 8 Pro
Sony Xperia XZs

Google Pixel XL too is available but its a bit old now (late 2016 launch)

If you intend to hold on to your phone for a long time (say 3 years or more), go for phones with atleast 6 GB RAM. Oneplus 5T has a 8 GB RAM model too at Rs. 37,000.

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th January 2018 at 16:47.
Old 15th January 2018, 17:00   #26883
Oxy
BHPian

The HTC U11 might also be worth a look as a V30 alternative.
Old 15th January 2018, 17:29   #26884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If you intend to hold on to your phone for a long time (say 3 years or more), go for phones with atleast 6 GB RAM.
This higher RAM capacity seems to look more like a number fixation than real usage. I dont know what is the intended usage other streaming 4K kind of content.
Old 15th January 2018, 19:10   #26885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
What's wrong with the screen?
According to reviews, the screen color is uneven, black is not real black, white not real white, and there is a color shift when viewed from the sides.

I think, am going to take the V30 off my list as I noticed only now that it has only 4GB of RAM. I don't feel like paying 45K for a 4GB phone.
Quote:
Other phones launched in 2017 between 30k and 40K price range -

Mi Mix 2
Nokia 8
Blackberry Motion
Honor 8 Pro
Sony Xperia XZs

Google Pixel XL too is available but its a bit old now (late 2016 launch)
MI Mix 2 - yes, I can add that.
About the others, I am currently restricting my options to tall screens. Top and bottom bezels suddenly seem so yesteryear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The HTC U11 might also be worth a look as a V30 alternative.
U11+ maybe, but it is expensive and not on sale yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This higher RAM capacity seems to look more like a number fixation than real usage. I dont know what is the intended usage other streaming 4K kind of content.
Well, coming from a Nexus 5X which was severely compromised on RAM (2GB), I have come across some limitations. Yes, the phone in general was fluid, with no noticeable stutters. But, when you switch between apps, things need to reload. Most noticeable in Chrome and Facebook. This, after I have disabled quite of few Google apps.

Even on my iPhone, with just 1GB RAM, the OS is stutter free, but even switching between tabs in Chrome causes the page to reload. So, am not compromising on RAM this time. 4 minimum, 6 preferred, 8 overkill.

Last edited by civic-sense : 15th January 2018 at 19:11.
Old 15th January 2018, 19:21   #26886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even on my iPhone, with just 1GB RAM, the OS is stutter free, but even switching between tabs in Chrome causes the page to reload. So, am not compromising on RAM this time. 4 minimum, 6 preferred, 8 overkill.
Between iPhone and Android there is no compromise. iOS is highly optimized ecosystem and hence they can work to get minimal RAM access. While in Android its a commodity world and hence there is no option.

My point was beyond 4; 6/8 may be an overkill unless a usecase is clearly defined which requires that much RAM.
Old 15th January 2018, 23:07   #26887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
So, am not compromising on RAM this time. 4 minimum, 6 preferred, 8 overkill.
1) Something like Asphalt 8 cleans out almost all the background apps even on a (4GB RAM + snapdragon 835) smartphone implying it is using most of the available RAM

2) 4 GB RAM is now standard in late 2017/early 2018 10k to 20K smartphones. Eg: Redmi Y1, 2018 Nokia 6, Honor 7x, Moto G5s+, Oppo/Vivo selfie phones etc

3) 6 GB RAM is now standard in late 2017/early 2018 mid-rangers like Oneplus 5T, Honor View 10, Samsung A8+

Even if one is not into gaming, 6 GB or 8 GB RAM helps if one intends to hold on to a phone for a long time. Because of OS updates and individual app updates over the next 2 or 3 years which slows down the performance.

Quote:
About the others, I am currently restricting my options to tall screens. Top and bottom bezels suddenly seem so yesteryear.
Your shortlist is down to Oneplus 5T, Honor View 10 and Samsung A8 then (full screen, 6 GB minimum RAM) . Going by the reviews, Samsung A8 seems to be the best allrounder phone in 30 to 40K category - decent specs/features, best screen and best camera.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...eview-1710.php

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th January 2018 at 23:36.
Old 16th January 2018, 13:27   #26888
BHPian

Quote:
Between iPhone and Android there is no compromise. iOS is highly optimized ecosystem and hence they can work to get minimal RAM access. While in Android its a commodity world and hence there is no option.
What I meant was iPhone was also bad when it comes to RAM usage by apps.
Quote:
My point was beyond 4; 6/8 may be an overkill unless a usecase is clearly defined which requires that much RAM.
A year later newer versions of Facebook, Whatsapp, Chrome etc are going to need more RAM.

Quote:
1) Something like Asphalt 8 cleans out almost all the background apps even on a (4GB RAM + snapdragon 835) smartphone implying it is using most of the available RAM
I don't play games. The last time I played was Angry birds during my HTC HD2 days.
Quote:
Even if one is not into gaming, 6 GB or 8 GB RAM helps if one intends to hold on to a phone for a long time. Because of OS updates and individual app updates over the next 2 or 3 years which slows down the performance.

Your shortlist is down to Oneplus 5T, Honor View 10 and Samsung A8 then (full screen, 6 GB minimum RAM) . Going by the reviews, Samsung A8 seems to be the best allrounder phone in 30 to 40K category - decent specs/features, best screen and best camera.
Apart from my dislike for Samsung, A8+ looks like a very heavy device with a midrange chipset.

However I may consider the Galaxy S7 (27K) for my wife. How is the S7 compared to the LG G6?
Old 16th January 2018, 15:06   #26889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should check out the comparison video between oneplus 5T and iPhone 8+. The guy doing the comparison cleans up the memory on both and then opens 20+ apps one after the other on both. For the first time, they take about same time on both phones but then he does the same again and this time the difference memory makes comes to fore. All apps were still in the memory for the oneplus so they open instantaneously on the OP5T while iPhone takes its sweet time for the same.

So, more memory is not useless. It's desirable if you do multitasking.

Last edited by joslicx : 16th January 2018 at 15:07.
Old 16th January 2018, 15:27   #26890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Nexus 5 (2GB; Marshmallow) would max out at about 15 tabs in Chrome - sluggish that I have to start closing tabs. My Z2 Play (4GB; Nougat) can easily handle 45-50 tabs.
Old 16th January 2018, 16:14   #26891
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I meant was iPhone was also bad when it comes to RAM usage by apps.

A year later newer versions of Facebook, Whatsapp, Chrome etc are going to need more RAM.
I mentioned "beyond a point". There is a minimum RAM that would be needed. Beyond which it's just a number.

And when comparing that minimum limit, iPhone is much lower than an Android for a similar class performance processors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You should check out the comparison video between oneplus 5T and iPhone 8+. The guy doing the comparison cleans up the memory on both and then opens 20+ apps one after the other on both. For the first time, they take about same time on both phones but then he does the same again and this time the difference memory makes comes to fore. All apps were still in the memory for the oneplus so they open instantaneously on the OP5T while iPhone takes its sweet time for the same.
So, more memory is not useless. It's desirable if you do multitasking.
Theoritically yes one can open many many windows for multi-tasking. But the question is how much is a practical set for which you may want to decide. (One can definitely debate on that point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My Nexus 5 (2GB; Marshmallow) would max out at about 15 tabs in Chrome - sluggish that I have to start closing tabs. My Z2 Play (4GB; Nougat) can easily handle 45-50 tabs.
That is why I mentioned a minimum requirement for a class of processors. Another point to note, is with each generation, RAMs also advance and their speeds change. Its also a question latency vs capacity. It then becomes a question of how fast you want to access versus how much data you want to keep in a RAM.
Old 16th January 2018, 16:52   #26892
BANNED

Quote:
However I may consider the Galaxy S7 (27K) for my wife. How is the S7 compared to the LG G6?
My mom uses S7 edge, while I am using the humble G6. Leaving apart the on paper comparison, I would say as per real world use both are equivalent on most things. It mostly depends on the kind of use it will be going through. Just jotting down few points, they are purely my opinion here.

On LG’ gain:
S7 is almost 2 year old and end of its support cycle, whereas G6 is 2017 model. Mind you; LG is extremely notorious in releasing security patch and newer android version. G6 has a huge 5.7 inch edge-less screen. My G6 gets 0 to 100% charge in flat one and half hour and lasts up to 2 days with moderate use, where S7 has a good battery, but not there yet.

Samsung’ gain:
You will get extensive service n/w and good resale. Easy to hold and lighter built. Samsung’ sAMOLED is a league ahead of LG’ sLED (I hope they had given the OLED ). Samsung’ UI is somehow mainstream than LG’ quirky one.

I am not a gamer, so can't exactly comment on performance. Though I feel heating is less in G6.

Main camera wise both are neck to neck, but G6' front camera is a joke.

Quote:
Sir, you are comparing 1.5 DCi with 1.5 TSI . Your Nexus is a 5 year old model, I couldn't think of any other droid would last that long.
Old 16th January 2018, 17:08   #26893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Theoritically yes one can open many many windows for multi-tasking. But the question is how much is a practical set for which you may want to decide. (One can definitely debate on that point).
Well, If I am paying a premium price then this question is moot. Apple charge us an arm and a leg as well as an eye. I would expect that the multitasking capability at that price point should at least be as good, if not better, as any other competing devices out there. And Oneplus 5T is just half the price of an 8+!
Old 16th January 2018, 17:49   #26894
BANNED

Quote:
Hi binand,
What’s your opinion about Z2 play? I’m using a Nexus 5 and looking for a near stock android. I usually keep phones for as long as they work. Nexus completed 4 years, still good. But started showing signs of slowing.

Regards,
The Rationalist.
Old 16th January 2018, 18:45   #26895
BANNED

Quote:
2) 4 GB RAM is now standard in late 2017/early 2018 10k to 20K smartphones. Eg: Redmi Y1, 2018 Nokia 6, Honor 7x, Moto G5s+, Oppo/Vivo selfie phones etc
I am waiting for the A8 Plus early next month when I return. The video whetted my appetite.

Last edited by ampere : 16th January 2018 at 19:19. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post

Most Viewed