Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 11:56   #26911
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am also looking at the new G5S from Motorola - looks like a newish launch and in time for the Amazon Sale. Might be a better bet than the gen old G5 or G5Plus.
If your budget is 20k, then get the Mi MAX 2 64 GB or the redmi note 4 64 GB variant. They are worth for the money paid. I have Mi max 2 32 GB and its a power bank!! solid 1.5 days backup for my heavy usage!
Old 19th January 2018, 13:14   #26912
BHPian

Am eagerly waiting for the weekend sales at Flipkart and Amazon. And am still looking at the View 10, OP5T and the LG V30.

View 10 for the AI chipset, 6 gigs of ram, and Oreo. But I read in the gsmarena user reviews that the sound quality through headphones is bad. I need to confirm this, and if it is true, it is definitely off the list. My AT MSR7 headphones needs a worthy source. There is no gorilla and OIS, but I can live with them.

V30+ for its premium looks, great camera and IP rating. Amazon offers wireless charger and free screen replacement, although I can pass them. It also has the awesome quad dac, athough I doubt it would make much of a difference in my MSR7 as its impedance is below 50 ohms. Only serious issue for me is the low RAM.

OP5T seems to be the all rounder here with no serious flaws, although I can't forgive them for messing up the second rear camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You should check out the comparison video between oneplus 5T and iPhone 8+.
Can you post the link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My Nexus 5 (2GB; Marshmallow) would max out at about 15 tabs in Chrome - sluggish that I have to start closing tabs. My Z2 Play (4GB; Nougat) can easily handle 45-50 tabs.
In a couple of years, 4 gigs would be similar to today's 2 gigs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I mentioned "beyond a point". There is a minimum RAM that would be needed. Beyond which it's just a number.
I get your point, just disagree on the number. To me, 6 gigs is more like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
My mom uses S7 edge, while I am using the humble G6.
Thanks for the review. G6 is a good phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well, If I am paying a premium price then this question is moot. Apple charge us an arm and a leg as well as an eye. I would expect that the multitasking capability at that price point should at least be as good, if not better, as any other competing devices out there. And Oneplus 5T is just half the price of an 8+!
The way I look at is, V30/8+ would give you a premium experience, but OP5T would give you more usable years.

Oh! I think I just found out what I should buy.

Last edited by civic-sense : 19th January 2018 at 13:17.
Old 19th January 2018, 13:24   #26913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

V30+ for its premium looks, great camera and IP rating. Amazon offers wireless charger and free screen replacement, although I can pass them. It also has the awesome quad dac, athough I doubt it would make much of a difference in my MSR7 as its impedance is below 50 ohms. Only serious issue for me is the low RAM.
You could force the phone into high impedance mode with the aux extension cable-high impedance adapter trick.
Old 19th January 2018, 13:38   #26914
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! I think I just found out what I should buy.
So which one is it going to be?

By the way, this one is on discount today. Looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071795MMB/...=AT95IG9ONZD7S
Old 19th January 2018, 14:32   #26915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
You could force the phone into high impedance mode with the aux extension cable-high impedance adapter trick.
I had read about that. And the MSR7 comes with detachable cables, so no need of an extension cable. I hope it actually works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
So which one is it going to be?
Of course the V30+

Unless Amazon does a coup and reduce the price of V10 or OP5T and entice me again on Saturday.
Quote:
By the way, this one is on discount today. Looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071795MMB/...=AT95IG9ONZD7S
The bezels! I wonder how I used the Nexus 5X till now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
... looking for a near stock android.
I may be guilty of confirmatory bias, but that should not stop me from sharing this article

https://themrphone.com/article/stock...d-not-the-best
Old 19th January 2018, 14:35   #26916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you post the link?

Sorry it is the comparo between OP5T and iphoneX. For some reason I called it 8+ (maybe still tuned to the two phone cycle apple had been following with the plus version being the flagship for so many years) I guess 8+ should fare similar to X.
Old 19th January 2018, 15:16   #26917
Lij
BHPian

Has anyone faced connection issue with Telegram app on OnePlus 5? The issue is that Telegram shows "Connecting ...". Messages are neither received nor sent.

Not sure if the issue started since the last update from Telegram or the Oreo build for OnePlus 5.

I tried installing the app again, works for some time and again the issue comes up, no proxy is selected.
Old 20th January 2018, 01:50   #26918
BHPian

Hi deathwalkr,
In my LG V30+, the Quad DAC doesn't kick in since the impedance level of the stock earphone is low. So I had ordered a 75 ohm impedance adapter. Are you saying we need an aux extension cable too?. ( If I want to use with the LG v30+ stock earphone). In that case, does it make sense buying a high end earphone with at least 50 ohm impedance level?
Quote:
Old 20th January 2018, 06:35   #26919
Senior - BHPian

Yes. The method if i remember correctly, is to plug in the impedance adapter into the extension cable first, then plug the extension cable into the phone. Phone will activate high impedance mode.
Now remove the impedance adapter and plug in the headphone into the extension cable which is still connected to the phone.
Phone will remain on high impedance mode.
Small tip, keep the volume of left and right at 50%.
And of course, a high impedance HP would be great.
Old 20th January 2018, 10:28   #26920
Team-BHP Support

Will Pixel 3 be unveiled in coming month or two? If not, between Pixel 2 XL and Note 8, which would make a better buy? Using an iPhone 7 and its either between these or maybe 8+ I am just unsure of X because of a friend's experience. Reviews are gaga over OP5T, how is that?

I am comfortable with a phone costing ~50K [justification wise ] Anything over 60 and it will be a depreciation disaster.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th January 2018 at 10:32.
Old 20th January 2018, 10:57   #26921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Will Pixel 3 be unveiled in coming month or two? If not, between Pixel 2 XL and Note 8, which would make a better buy? Using an iPhone 7 and its either between these or maybe 8+ I am just unsure of X because of a friend's experience. Reviews are gaga over OP5T, how is that?

I am comfortable with a phone costing ~50K [justification wise ] Anything over 60 and it will be a depreciation disaster.
Pixel 3 will come only towards the end of 2018.

Between Pixel 2XL and Note 8, I would choose
  • Note 8 for the display
  • Pixel 2XL for everything else
Old 20th January 2018, 12:18   #26922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think the next immediate launch from Samsung will be the S9. At least from what I have seen here, any other brand outside Apple and Samsung is a depreciation disaster.

My wife got a Note 8 and its quite brilliant, especially the screen and camera. And it doesn't feel bulky to hold (say compared to a iPhone 7 plus). But if I have to buy for myself I will get the Pixel 2 XL; the camera delivers brilliant natural looking photos. And also I like my phones a bit subtle
Old 20th January 2018, 14:36   #26923
BHPian

Quote:
Am eagerly waiting for the weekend sales at Flipkart and Amazon. And am still looking at the View 10, OP5T and the LG V30.
The Amazon sale turned out to be a disappointment with zero discounts on all three of my choices. And they are no longer giving the wireless charger free with the V30. What a bummer!
Quote:
Yes. The method if i remember correctly, is to plug in the impedance adapter into the extension cable first, then plug the extension cable into the phone. Phone will activate high impedance mode.
Now remove the impedance adapter and plug in the headphone into the extension cable which is still connected to the phone.
Phone will remain on high impedance mode.
Small tip, keep the volume of left and right at 50%.
And of course, a high impedance HP would be great.
The trick with the extension cable is to connect the extension cable first. The phone detects that something is connected to the jack, but since the circuit isn't completed, the impedance is infinity, which is higher than 50 ohms, and hence all four DACs are activated. Now, connect the headphones to the adapter.

Above is what I read, not sure it works.
Old 20th January 2018, 14:38   #26924
BHPian

Pixel 3 will come in November 2018. You might find both Pixel 2 XL and Note 8 bulky. I recommend you consider LG V30+ too. I had evaluated iPhone X, Samsung S8 ( Not the note), Pixel 2 XL, HTC U11, Xperia XZ Premium and LG V30+. Finally bought LG V30+ and loving it. Its an awesome phone. Looks super premium in the silver variant. As for the concern on the depreciation, this may not depreciate like the past LG phones did. Because this time they priced it very low during the launch itself.
No offence to the OP5T users. But you cant compare it to the above mentioned phones.
Thanks deathwalkr for the tip on impedance adapter.

Quote:

Last edited by adithya.kp : 20th January 2018 at 14:50.
Old 20th January 2018, 14:39   #26925
Senior - BHPian

If you connect the extension cable first phone will go into external device connected mode.
You need to follow the steps i listed out if you want to trigger the high impedance mode.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks