Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2018, 15:16   #26926
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am no electronics man, and impedance is tough for me to understand because it is like resistance but not . On the other hand, I have been around hifi/audio for decades, and headphones in recent years and as I "understand" it...

Why are you people wanting high-impedance output for a low-impedance device. On good authority, I have, at least, learned that the output impedance should be a small fraction of the device it is feeding.

It is possible to need a higher-impedance output for a high-impedance device, eg a 300 or 600 ohm headphone, but these are the minority and it is not likely that the devices we plug in for portable play will be.

Impedance mismatch can cause changes in frequency response. This is not usually desirable!
Old 20th January 2018, 15:24   #26927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Pixel 3 will come in November 2018. You might find both Pixel 2 XL and Note 8 bulky. I recommend you consider LG V30+ too. I had evaluated iPhone X, Samsung S8 ( Not the note), Pixel 2 XL, HTC U11, Xperia XZ Premium and LG V30+. Finally bought LG V30+ and loving it. Its an awesome phone. Looks super premium in the silver variant. As for the concern on the depreciation, this may not depreciate like the past LG phones did. Because this time they priced it very low during the launch itself.
LG V30+ is quite good, but I did not feel that the Pixel 2 XL or the Note 8 felt bulky in comparison. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this - but my V20 feels lethargic off-late. And with LG you can literally forget about any OS updates. On the depreciation point. I got SGD 450 when I traded in my S7 edge last year. It still hold a value of SGD 300. Where as the V20 is now on SGD 200; I hope it will stay on that until beginning of April when I can renew my plan with a new phone.
Old 20th January 2018, 16:19   #26928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The Amazon sale turned out to be a disappointment with zero discounts on all three of my choices.
There is a 1500 instant discount on the View 10 for HDFC credit card users.
I upgraded from Redmi Note 3 to View 10 when it launched on the 8th. Sadly, I didn't have an ICICI card at that time. I am wondering if Amazon will allow me to return this device and reorder during this sale.
Old 20th January 2018, 16:41   #26929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why are you people wanting high-impedance output for a low-impedance device. On good authority, I have, at least, learned that the output impedance should be a small fraction of the device it is feeding.
The quadDAC on the phone has 3 modes. Normal audio device, external audio device and high impedance device.

The sheer power that flows out of the phone when on high impedance mode is just amazing. My sony mdr10rnc kicks the phone into high impedance. It is a world of difference listening 24bit iron maiden flacs on it

But yes, triggering high impedance on a low impedance headphone can be dangerous to the HP and to the ears.

Which is why LG left it on auto mode. There is no manual selection. But humans being humans, found a workawround to that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
LG V30+ is quite good, but I did not feel that the Pixel 2 XL or the Note 8 felt bulky in comparison. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this - but my V20 feels lethargic off-late. And with LG you can literally forget about any OS updates. On the depreciation point. I got SGD 450 when I traded in my S7 edge last year. It still hold a value of SGD 300. Where as the V20 is now on SGD 200; I hope it will stay on that until beginning of April when I can renew my plan with a new phone.
My v20 is also slow. And to top it off, i have screen ghosting now. And yes updates! Still on 7.0 with Sep security patch.
Old 20th January 2018, 20:40   #26930
Distinguished - BHPian

It is very interesting that they have built this in.

So.... I occasionally plug my HD600s into my phone. Sounds OK, but full volume is still low. Would be automatically sensed on that LG?

I'm just curious, no intention to change my phone for foreseeable future, or indeed, while it still works. I have, in the past, messed around with external DAC/amp, thinking it would be good for travelling. Got great sound. Then got lazy.
Old 21st January 2018, 00:32   #26931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
There is a 1500 instant discount on the View 10 for HDFC credit card users.
I upgraded from Redmi Note 3 to View 10 when it launched on the 8th. Sadly, I didn't have an ICICI card at that time. I am wondering if Amazon will allow me to return this device and reorder during this sale.
I do not have an HDFC card. In fact I have an ICICI card and could have used it on the 8th. But unfortunately, I didn't even know about the View 10 back then.
Old 21st January 2018, 11:26   #26932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is very interesting that they have built this in.

So.... I occasionally plug my HD600s into my phone. Sounds OK, but full volume is still low. Would be automatically sensed on that LG?

I'm just curious, no intention to change my phone for foreseeable future, or indeed, while it still works. I have, in the past, messed around with external DAC/amp, thinking it would be good for travelling. Got great sound. Then got lazy.
The v20 would automatically detect and activate the high impedance mode when you plug that beauty in

Try it out at a local mobile store.
Old 21st January 2018, 13:13   #26933
Team-BHP Support

My dad is picking up Samsung Galaxy On7 Prime with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage. It was launched today and is on sale at Amazon.in for Rs. 15,000.

Other than higher RAM/storage, the biggest difference between On7 Prime and J7 series phone seems to be that this one has light sensor (for automatic brightness adjustment). Processor, camera and screen seems to be the same one that is on Samsung J7 Prime and Samsung On Nxt .

He does not want to try out any other brand because he thinks all other phones are made by our enemy (China). This is his old Samsung Galaxy S Duos with a 4 inch display, 512 KB RAM (that is KB, yeah) and 4 GB storage.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-00002img_00002_burst20180121124601.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 21st January 2018 at 13:35.
Old 21st January 2018, 20:21   #26934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This is his old Samsung Galaxy S Duos with a 4 inch display, 512 KB RAM (that is KB, yeah) and 4 GB storage.
That can't be right. We left the world where memory was measured in KB behind in the nineties. Android itself wouldn't load on that low memory. Is this this phone?

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...s7562-4883.php

4" display, 4 GB storage - all match. Memory is 768 MB though.
Old 21st January 2018, 20:26   #26935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Other than higher RAM/storage, the biggest difference between On7 Prime and J7 series phone seems to be that this one has light sensor (for automatic brightness adjustment).
Are you sure about that? I heard on reviews that is doesn't have light sensor and doesn't have compass and other sensors either.
Old 21st January 2018, 20:29   #26936
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That can't be right. We left the world where memory was measured in KB behind in the nineties. Android itself wouldn't load on that low memory. Is this this phone?
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...s7562-4883.php
4" display, 4 GB storage - all match. Memory is 768 MB though.
Whoops. It is 512 MB, not KB. It is called SM-G313HU:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180121_124542.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Are you sure about that? I heard on reviews that is doesn't have light sensor and doesn't have compass and other sensors either.
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/samsung-galaxy-on7-prime-4577

Quote:
Sensors on the phone include Proximity sensor, Accelerometer and Ambient light sensor.

Last edited by SmartCat : 21st January 2018 at 20:33.
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:05   #26937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Reviews are gaga over OP5T, how is that?

I am comfortable with a phone costing ~50K [justification wise ] Anything over 60 and it will be a depreciation disaster.
Just migrated from 5 years of iOS(latest being iPhone 6) usage to Android. Got the OP5T. Loving it right now. The speed is amazing. Watch the Youtube video showing speed comparison between OP5T & iPhone X shared on the previous page.
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:01   #26938
BHPian

Can somebody suggest a midrange phone around 10-20K?

The phone needs to be fast and fluid.
Big screen preferred.
Need good camera.
Facebook, whatsapp etc.
No gaming at all.

I have the following in my shortlist

MI A1 - stock Android
Honor 9i/7X - Specs look almost same, yet there is a big price difference.

Any other phone I should be looking at?

Last edited by blacksport : 22nd January 2018 at 12:18.
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:49   #26939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post

Big screen preferred.
Need good camera.
Facebook, whatsapp etc.
No gaming at all.

MI A1 - stock Android

Do consider Samsung J5 Prime at ~11k. Using it for over an year and feels great.
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:51   #26940
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post

Big screen preferred.
Need good camera.
Facebook, whatsapp etc.
No gaming at all.

MI A1 - stock Android

Invest about 3k more and get the Honor 8 Pro. You won't get better specs for the price. Available for 23k on Flipkart after Citibank discount.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks