Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2018, 18:47   #26941
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Do consider Samsung J5 Prime at ~11k. Using it for over an year and feels great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Invest about 3k more and get the Honor 8 Pro. You won't get better specs for the price. Available for 23k on Flipkart after Citibank discount.
Thanks for the recommendations.

J5 Prime at 5 inches might be a bit small for me, and the Honor 8 Pro is a bit on the heavier side. I feel that the LG V20 might be better than the Honor in that case.
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:15   #26942
BHPian

mi A1 users, recently got a brand new mi A1. It is in the August 2017 security patch. When I checked for OTA updates, it always shows system is up to date and no further updates are available.

I am okay to wait for Oreo but the security updates are not showing up as well. The very purpose of getting this otherwise average phone is now lost.

Tried all solutions from the web including factory reset, clear data of google services framework etc., but no avail.

Any suggestions please ?
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:11   #26943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
mi A1 users, recently got a brand new mi A1. It is in the August 2017 security patch. When I checked for OTA updates, it always shows system is up to date and no further updates are available.

I am okay to wait for Oreo but the security updates are not showing up as well. The very purpose of getting this otherwise average phone is now lost.

Tried all solutions from the web including factory reset, clear data of google services framework etc., but no avail.

Any suggestions please ?
*#*#2432546#*#*

Type this in your dialler.
You will get a msg check-in succeeded.
Then try checking for software update again
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:13   #26944
BHPian

After much dilemma, finally ordered HTC U11 Solar Red today. Was keen on buying V30+, but the reviews and looks played more role on choosing the HTC U11 over V30+.
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:19   #26945
Senior - BHPian

Last week I replaced my Oneplus 3 with a LG V30+. Got 10700 in exchange for the OPO3 which I was happy with. The screen on that was replaced recently and after that it was not the same phone.

Although it's just couple of days with the V30+ the initial impressions are good. But I wish LG didn't modify looks of Android so much, and for the poor for most part. They need to probably redeploy their software resources and give us just plain vanilla android. Why try fix something that's not broken in the first place. This is something Oneplus is so good at.
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:00   #26946
BHPian

Any HTC U11users here, Please share your experience. Basically I wanted to know the call quality
Old 23rd January 2018, 20:48   #26947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
*#*#2432546#*#*

Type this in your dialler.
You will get a msg check-in succeeded.
Then try checking for software update again
Thanks Doc. Unfortunately that did not work as well. I did get the message about the check in but the system updates still shows no updates.

I also posted on the Mi Community and everyone is suggesting a manual flash.

That needs the bootloader to be unlocked which I do not want to as I use some enterprise apps.

Hoping for an alternate solution.
Old 24th January 2018, 10:33   #26948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Can somebody suggest a midrange phone around 10-20K?
MI A1 - stock Android
Honor 9i/7X - Specs look almost same, yet there is a big price difference.
You could consider Motorola G5S Plus and Samsung J7 Prime.

Rohan

Last edited by ampere : 25th January 2018 at 11:54. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 25th January 2018, 11:39   #26949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Any HTC U11users here, Please share your experience. Basically I wanted to know the call quality
I have one in Sapphire Blue. Call quality is absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever. Feel free to ask me more about the U11 experience. Will be happy to respond.
And congrats on the red U11. I was considering the Red color option but decided to stick to Blue.
Old 25th January 2018, 11:51   #26950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I have one in Sapphire Blue. Call quality is absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever. Feel free to ask me more about the U11 experience. Will be happy to respond.
And congrats on the red U11. I was considering the Red color option but decided to stick to Blue.
Thanks a lot man. I'm really enjoying every bit of this mobile. It's really outstanding and eye catchy also. Did you get the oreo update? Mine is still on Noughat. Ordered SPIGEN armor case also due to slippery.
Old 25th January 2018, 12:18   #26951
Team-BHP Support

Received Samsung Galaxy On7 Prime (4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage). Feels nice to hold and the screen is bright. But camera is below average.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180125_120629.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180125_120640.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Are you sure about that? I heard on reviews that is doesn't have light sensor and doesn't have compass and other sensors either.
Oh man, you were right all along. On7 Prime does not have a light sensor. Gadgets360.com article was wrong. So other than 1 GB extra RAM, there is ZERO difference between Samsung Galaxy On7 Prime and 2017 Samsung Galaxy On Nxt (which is Rs. 2000 cheaper)
https://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/~sa...pr?sid=tyy,4io

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th January 2018 at 12:19.
Old 25th January 2018, 13:19   #26952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Thanks a lot man. I'm really enjoying every bit of this mobile. It's really outstanding and eye catchy also. Did you get the oreo update? Mine is still on Noughat. Ordered SPIGEN armor case also due to slippery.
Yeah I get asked quite often if I have a case on my phone cause of the blue backside.

The OTA was delayed for a couple of countries including India so I just side-loaded the OTA zip through recovery mode. You can get more details on XDA. It's easy and hardly takes time. Post 8.0 update, there's another update of 700 mb that has come out. I flashed that as well. So right now, I'm on 8.0.0 with Dec 17 security patch.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 25th January 2018 at 13:30.
Old 27th January 2018, 07:19   #26953
BHPian

I managed to get the Honor 9 Lite on the 22nd noon sale. The initial impression is quite good in terms of a basic usable camera, Oreo OS, good Display (for the given price) and the call quality is good.

One difference I found from my other android devices (OnePlus 3T and Moto 5G) is that it does not automatically list the contact added to my Google Account, and did not find an option to added new numbers to contacts from the call log. Anyone faced a similar problem or resolved this ?
Old 27th January 2018, 12:13   #26954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The Amazon sale turned out to be a disappointment with zero discounts on all three of my choices.
The sale passed off peacefully, without me buying either the OP5T or View 10 or V30+.

However I ended up buying the Honor 9 Lite at exactly 12:00AM on sale day. Now I know why they have these flash sales. People end up buying even when they do not intend to buy. 90 minutes later, the phone was shipped! Anyway my wife needed a phone and I could palm it off to her. Except...

My wife refused to take it cos she found it too fragile, with the glass back. With our 3 year old frequently throwing her MI4i around, it was too risky, she thought.

With all efforts to revive the Nexus 5X going in vain, the iPhone 5S still being in the service center for replacement and me growing tired of using a 3 year old loaned Galaxy Grand Prime, I decided to use it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I managed to get the Honor 9 Lite on the 22nd noon sale. The initial impression is quite good in terms of a basic usable camera, Oreo OS, good Display (for the given price) and the call quality is good.
The Honor 9 Lite is definitely a surprise package. I got the 3GB version as I found that it was more VFM (at 11K) than the 4GB version (4K more).

The package had a frosted poly-carbonate back cover which looks decent, but alas no screen protector pre-applied, unlike some other Honor phones that do not have gorilla glass.

Surprise, the 9 Lite has a gyro sensor unlike the 7X and the more expensive 9i.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous, very sharp and vibrant. I compared it against a friend's View 10, and although colors on the View 10 looks more natural, it is hard to find fault with the 9 Lite screen when viewed in isolation.

The UI is reasonably fast and fluid. In fact, faster than my Nexus 5X with 2GB RAM and stock Android. The amount of features built into the OS is overwhelming. Although not a fan, I always had a soft corner for stock Android, but now I know what I had been missing during these years.

The cameras are just OK. No appreciable shutter lag. Clicks sharp images, but a bit overexposed and colors are washed out. The front cam gives slightly better results than the rear cam. But not a patch on the Nexus 5X.

Camera is important to me, so I do not see myself holding on to this phone for long. But for people on a budget, this is definitely a great buy.
Quote:
One difference I found from my other android devices (OnePlus 3T and Moto 5G) is that it does not automatically list the contact added to my Google Account, and did not find an option to added new numbers to contacts from the call log. Anyone faced a similar problem or resolved this ?
Are you looking for this?
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180127_103737.jpg
Old 27th January 2018, 12:35   #26955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I solved my camera issues.
Looks like I've discovered the perfect fix for the Nokia 8 camera. The Google / Pixel camera app.
Initial impressions: Whilst the lighter colors are more accurate using the stock Nokia camera app, the Pixel camera is spot on with the darker colors and also manages to sync the lighter colors into the picture in a much better way. The Pixel app also seems to focus relatively faster than the Nokia stock app which is a boon when for shooting kids

Pixel camera app:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180126_224947.jpg

Nokia stock camera app:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180126_224954.jpg

Apparently there are modded versions of the pixel camera available for download as one, especially one that is suited for the Nokia 8 which I'm still to check out, but I think I will stock to the existing version since I already like it a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks