Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2018, 19:49   #26971
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Hi Lordvader - i am able to see the fastboot screen. But i am not able to instal the device drivers on the laptop. I downloaded the android sdk kit + google usb drivers, still no juice. I think i am one step away, but i am not able to crack that 1st step.
I'd suggest uninstall all device drivers and reinstall. Look for device specific drivers on xda.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2271909 not sure if this is the same device.
Old 29th January 2018, 21:24   #26972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The Honor 9 Lite is definitely a surprise package. I got the 3GB version as I found that it was more VFM (at 11K) than the 4GB version (4K more).
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I too have the same risks , but took a chance since I wanted the new phone to have a min 64 GB storage, with decent camera, and preferably Oreo since it would last with couple of years with decent options. And this ticked all the options, also the fact it was released this year was added bonus.
I am planning to get a budget Android phone and intend to order a Honor 9 Lite (32 GB) tomorrow. The intended use will be browsing on a big screen, clear view of Google Maps on my drives and a storage for my music. Will it be a good buy?

The following features attracted me towards this model:

1. Latest Android
2. 4 cameras (I think this is where I will be the most disappointed)
3. Good battery life

How does the camera fare compared to the iPhone 5s? Based on camera performance, are there are better alternatives in the same price range(not interested to splurge more on a phone)?

If the above features are not worth it then I might as well get something cheaper (Honor 6x/Redmi Note 4?) or something better (Moto G5s Plus?).

Thanks in advance,
Ashis
Old 30th January 2018, 00:08   #26973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am planning to get a budget Android phone and intend to order a Honor 9 Lite (32 GB) tomorrow. The intended use will be browsing on a big screen, clear view of Google Maps on my drives and a storage for my music. Will it be a good buy?

1. Latest Android
3. Good battery life

How does the camera fare compared to the iPhone 5s? Based on camera performance, are there are better alternatives in the same price range(not interested to splurge more on a phone)?

If the above features are not worth it then I might as well get something cheaper (Honor 6x/Redmi Note 4?) or something better (Moto G5s Plus?).

Thanks in advance,
Ashis
If camera is of importance then the 9 lite will disappoint you. You might be better off with the moto G plus (12mp), I guess. It has the same sensor as the pixel2. I checked some camera comparisons on YouTube and see that even the honor 7x's main camera is much better than the 9 lite's.

I can do a comparison with my 5s camera once I get it back from apple service, but that would be too late for the flash sale. But in general, I guess the main camera of the 5S trumps the 9 lite's. But the 9 lite has a much better selfie camera.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:15   #26974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If camera is of importance then the 9 lite will disappoint you. You might be better off with the moto G plus (12mp), I guess. It has the same sensor as the pixel2. I checked some camera comparisons on YouTube and see that even the honor 7x's main camera is much better than the 9 lite's.

I can do a comparison with my 5s camera once I get it back from apple service, but that would be too late for the flash sale. But in general, I guess the main camera of the 5S trumps the 9 lite's. But the 9 lite has a much better selfie camera.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought over it and went through my intended usage. Since the 5s will continue to be my primary phone, I realized that camera shouldn't be my focus. I intend to replace the 5s with the SE which has even better camera and my phone size will remain the same and handy.

I need a cheap 4G VoLTE phone with a big screen for browsing and Google Map use. Since this one has the latest OS and processor, I will try to get the 9 Lite. Else will get the 6x and save 1k.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:59   #26975
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I thought over it and went through my intended usage. Since the 5s will continue to be my primary phone, I realized that camera shouldn't be my focus. I intend to replace the 5s with the SE which has even better camera and my phone size will remain the same and handy.

I need a cheap 4G VoLTE phone with a big screen for browsing and Google Map use. Since this one has the latest OS and processor, I will try to get the 9 Lite. Else will get the 6x and save 1k.

Its a great all rounder. Especially for people who can't handle large phones with one hand. Not that this one is very handy. It occasionally demands for my left hand to join. The fingerprint sensor should have been placed lower, but you will pardon them once you try Samsung's flagship.

Don't get the 6X. I have a colleague who has one. Looks and feels underwhelming.
Old 30th January 2018, 21:41   #26976
Senior - BHPian

Finally got Android Oreo in my U11. Not had much to review. A little better battery life along with faster Android updates will be beneficial.

Snoozing the notifications seems a good idea. PIP should also be helpful especially during navigation.

No security patches were pushed by HTC in these two months of ownership. It should change if they are serious on recapturing the market.

Phone is lovely. Great call quality, camera, brilliant audio. A good all rounder.
Old 31st January 2018, 19:34   #26977
BHPian

Quote:
Did you apply a screen protector on the screen? .....
No , I plan to wait for sometime for some options to come before I get one.

Quote:

1. Latest Android
3. Good battery life

It does come with Oreo, and the camera is decent, but I am not sure it can compete with Iphone. With regards to battery it is not the best, and again decent. On day 1 when I was trying all the various options it just lasted a day. Currently my wife uses it and only few calls a day. I get around 2 days for a charge.
Old 31st January 2018, 20:21   #26978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
It does come with Oreo, and the camera is decent, but I am not sure it can compete with Iphone. With regards to battery it is not the best, and again decent. On day 1 when I was trying all the various options it just lasted a day. Currently my wife uses it and only few calls a day. I get around 2 days for a charge.
Thanks.

I got the 9 Lite delivered today and have used it for the past couple of hours. I agree that camera is nowhere near the iPhone 5s, which itself is a 5 year old model. Regarding the battery, my 5s barely lasts a day with calls and whatsapp use only. This should be better for sure. Will figure out more as I start using it extensively.

Thanks for your feedback which brought my expectations in order, from this device.
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:10   #26979
BHPian

My one Plus one finally gave me a serious issue with a fully depressed power button. (Cant call it the phone's issue) I was thinking it is worth servicing it or buy a new one. Fortunately Nokia dropped prices of the Nokia 8 yesterday. Ordered one yesterday and received it 2 hours back. Got myself a new sim and now exploring it. The gloss blue finish is a fingerprint magnet. But by god, does this mobile not look so lovely.
Old 3rd February 2018, 19:53   #26980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I'd suggest uninstall all device drivers and reinstall. Look for device specific drivers on xda.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2271909 not sure if this is the same device.
Finally managed to get it working and loaded Amazon stock for Kindle Fire. Obviously the interface is not as great as the ipad mini. I use it only for books and magazines only and maybe i should just look for paperwhite !
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:33   #26981
Distinguished - BHPian

OxygenOS 5.0.2 OTA just received for my OP5.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180203202626.jpg  

Old 4th February 2018, 14:45   #26982
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in the market for a new Android phone.

How are the new-age Nokias, specially the 8? There are a few promising ones looming on the horizon, due for launches just before the 2018 MWC on Feb 25th. I have my eye on the Nokia 8 2018 (possibly named "Sirocco") and the Nokia 9, if it's not a myth.

Requirements - UI performance as good as my OnePlus 5T and an excellent set of cameras. The latest Snapdragon processors (845 or even 835) would be a bonus.

I was really keen on the Pixel 2 XL but there are no Google outlets in the state and nobody has any idea of how to get it serviced if there's a problem, specially in remote Tier-III cities such as mine. Someone suggested that LG service centers handle the servicing but the local LG service guys denied it. Hence not taking the risk.

I have had my fill of iPhones & Samsung Galaxys so want to try something different. No X or S9/S9+ for me, thanks.
Old 4th February 2018, 15:02   #26983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I am in the market for a new Android phone.

How are the new-age Nokias, specially the 8? There are a few promising ones looming on the horizon, due for launches just before the 2018 MWC on Feb 25th. I have my eye on the Nokia 8 2018 (possibly named "Sirocco") and the Nokia 9, if it's not a myth.

Requirements - UI performance as good as my OnePlus 5T and an excellent set of cameras. The latest Snapdragon processors (845 or even 835) would be a bonus.
Hello RavenAvi Sir,

The new age Nokias are fairly good in terms of performance and cameras.
The phone comes with a 13 Megapixel camera for the front and rear. However, reports state that the low light camera performance could be better.
The phone has 4 GB ram which is a downer considering that your OnePlus 5T comes with 6/8 GB ram. Performance is not bad at all and the phone also gets the Snapdragon 835 Processor.

When compared to your existing OnePlus 5T, the Ram (8/6 GB vs 4 GB) and the Camera (20 MP vs 13 MP) are a downgrade.

The Nokia 9 (not sure about the launch) is supposed to come with a 22MP rear camera and 4GB ram. If an excellent camera is your primary requirement, the Nokia 9 would be a superior phone.

You can even consider the Huawei Honor 10 with 6 GB ram and a dual 20 + 16 MP dual camera.
Old 4th February 2018, 15:09   #26984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I was really keen on the Pixel 2 XL but there are no Google outlets in the state and nobody has any idea of how to get it serviced if there's a problem, specially in remote Tier-III cities such as mine. Someone suggested that LG service centers handle the servicing but the local LG service guys denied it. Hence not taking the risk.
If you are keen on the Pixel 2 XL I would recommend to go with that. I mean, how many times in a year you expect to take the phone to a service centre? The camera is just brilliant and probably the best in business right now. I have almostdecided this as my next phone, and will look at the S9 as well; after seeing my wife's Note 8 my dislike for Samsung has diminished quite a bit. Infact the Note 8 is also another good option to consider.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th February 2018 at 15:11.
Old 4th February 2018, 15:35   #26985
Team-BHP Support

^But we don’t get the same processors as what Samsung provides abroad. This is the sole reason, I am avoiding Note 8, else it looks brilliant I must say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks