Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2018, 11:08   #27046
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Mi A1 at the Mi store at Phoenix Mall yesterday. You can call them to confirm.
Old 19th February 2018, 12:51   #27047
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I saw the Mi A1 at the Mi store at Phoenix Mall yesterday. You can call them to confirm.
Did try calling them, but there is only one toll free number available which seems to be their call center. All they could say was, I will have to visit the store and check if there is stock available.
Old 20th February 2018, 10:35   #27048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Did try calling them, but there is only one toll free number available which seems to be their call center. All they could say was, I will have to visit the store and check if there is stock available.
This is one of the strategies by Mi. First, they create a demand by the flash sale and lure buyers who think that, buying the device with their own money is an achievement by itself.

Now, with the lauch of Note 5 and Note 5 Pro, Mi A1 suddenly goes out of stock and buyers tend to buy the Note 5 or Pro.

I do agree that Mi Phones are VFM devices and I own one myself but I detest their sales model.

It is like asking you to buy a ritz or celerio because swift is not in stock.
Old 20th February 2018, 11:01   #27049
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
This is one of the strategies by Mi. First, they create a demand by the flash sale and lure buyers who think that, buying the device with their own money is an achievement by itself.

Now, with the lauch of Note 5 and Note 5 Pro, Mi A1 suddenly goes out of stock and buyers tend to buy the Note 5 or Pro.

I do agree that Mi Phones are VFM devices and I own one myself but I detest their sales model.
This is why I think buying something like a Galaxy S7, even if it is 50% more expensive than the Redmi Note 5 Pro at this moment, makes much better sense.

Agreed it's a two year old phone and will support limited updates, but it was a flagship in 2016. So it is still perfect for someone like me who only cares about a great camera and a crisp display.

I have a two year old Redmi Note 3 and I am looking to upgrade, and I am not even going to try to get the RN5 Pro during the flash sale. It's just a huge waste of time.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:28   #27050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
This is why I think buying something like a Galaxy S7, even if it is 50% more expensive than the Redmi Note 5 Pro at this moment, makes much better sense.

Agreed it's a two year old phone and will support limited updates, but it was a flagship in 2016. So it is still perfect for someone like me who only cares about a great camera and a crisp display.

I have a two year old Redmi Note 3 and I am looking to upgrade, and I am not even going to try to get the RN5 Pro during the flash sale. It's just a huge waste of time.
The Galaxy S7 is great, no doubt. When you are ready to spend so much, you can check the OnePlus 5T. They do not have flash sales concept and are good with updates.

The new Moto X4 with 6GB RAM looks very good as well.

Huawei also makes good midrange devices but sadly they seem to follow the flash sale thing with the Honor 9 lite.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:26   #27051
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
The Galaxy S7 is great, no doubt. When you are ready to spend so much, you can check the OnePlus 5T. They do not have flash sales concept and are good with updates.

The new Moto X4 with 6GB RAM looks very good as well.

Huawei also makes good midrange devices but sadly they seem to follow the flash sale thing with the Honor 9 lite.
The RN5 Pro blows the Honor 9 Lite out of water so the 9 Lite is not even in consideration. I would rather buy the Redmi a few months later when the flash sale craze tones down to some extent.

Moto X4 is an interesting suggestion, thanks for that.

As for the OP 5T, we have quite a few devices in (or slightly over) that range - The Samsung Galaxy A8+, the Moto Z2 Force, the HTC U11, even the Google Pixel 2 (it was on a heavy discount sometime ago). So quite some confusion creeps in over there.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:45   #27052
BHPian

Quote:
The RN5 Pro blows the Honor 9 Lite out of water so the 9 Lite is not even in consideration. I would rather buy the Redmi a few months later when the flash sale craze tones down to some extent.

Moto X4 is an interesting suggestion, thanks for that.

As for the OP 5T, we have quite a few devices in (or slightly over) that range - The Samsung Galaxy A8+, the Moto Z2 Force, the HTC U11, even the Google Pixel 2 (it was on a heavy discount sometime ago). So quite some confusion creeps in over there.
I was not recommending the 9 lite. I was mentioning Huawei went the flash sale route with the 9 lite.

Something from Huawei that can match up the RN5 Pro could be the Honor 7X or the Honor 9i. Yet, the RN5 Pro is still great on paper, the problem lies with buying one when you want to.

You can buy Mi devices only when the company wants you to buy them
Old 20th February 2018, 14:50   #27053
BANNED

I don't know why its so bad to buy in flash sale. I bought the Redmi 5A in first flash sale. It didn't take any extra effort. Yeah , you have to wait for the exact time, but you can keep a reminder. I'm impressed with Redmi 5A, I'm waiting for Redmi Note 5 Pro Rose Gold edition to arrive for sale. For the price it blows everything away.Absence of NFC and USB-C are sore points, but their phones are absolute value for money. After seeing their phones, I feel its outright foolishness to spend more than 30,000 on phone.
Old 20th February 2018, 15:37   #27054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I don't know why its so bad to buy in flash sale. I bought the Redmi 5A in first flash sale. It didn't take any extra effort. Yeah , you have to wait for the exact time, but you can keep a reminder. I'm impressed with Redmi 5A, I'm waiting for Redmi Note 5 Pro Rose Gold edition to arrive for sale. For the price it blows everything away.Absence of NFC and USB-C are sore points, but their phones are absolute value for money. After seeing their phones, I feel its outright foolishness to spend more than 30,000 on phone.
You just got lucky. I have had multiple failures in flash sales. My other point is why did the Mi A1 suddenly go out of stock in spite of being available on open sale and a money spinner for Mi

The Redmi 4 I use was bought from a local store paying 1k extra.
I do agree on the phenomenal VFM Mi Phones offer.
Old 20th February 2018, 15:43   #27055
BANNED

Quote:
My other point is why did the Mi A1 suddenly go out of stock in spite of being available on open sale.
Mi A1 is freely available in offline stores now. No need for flash sales anymore. I just called up the local store and they have it in store. I do like it for its stock Android version, but Note 5 Pro is better in all other aspects. Besides a bigger screen too, which is what wifey needs. I don't like big phones and I'm still using a 4 year old phone!
Old 21st February 2018, 16:23   #27056
BHPian

Hey guys, need some advice. I'm looking for a mid range smartphone, in the 20-30k bracket. My requirements are:

1. Good chipset (gaming/multi-tasking should be smooth)
2. Good camera
3. Decent battery
4. Regular updates
5. Capacitive navigation buttons (if the screen is small)

I dont care about bezel-less displays/full view/18:9 displays etc. So far I have shortlisted the following (with some compromises)

1. Nokia 8
2. Honor 8 pro
3. Sony Xperia XA1 Plus
4. Moto X4

Suggestions?
Old 21st February 2018, 18:06   #27057
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Hey guys, need some advice. I'm looking for a mid range smartphone, in the 20-30k bracket. My requirements are:
Samsung A8+ seems to fit well.
Old 21st February 2018, 19:13   #27058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, need some advice. I'm looking for a mid range smartphone, in the 20-30k bracket.
Quote:
Samsung A8+ seems to fit well.
While the A8+ is good, for the price they are asking for it, you will get the flagship chipset in the Honor V10, OnePlus 5T and Nokia 8. There are some long term reviews for Nokia 8 which you may want to look at as well as our own members smartcat and manson have them.

On the other hand if you truly want a mid ranger, you can look at the Redmi Note 5 Pro which for 17k offers excellent Value for Money in terms of storage/chipset & RAM.
Old 21st February 2018, 19:32   #27059
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone purchase or use the Honor View10? The specs are good - directly pitted against the OnePlus 5T - for around 5k lesser! Am tempted to purchase it - I have been running with the Mi Max for more than 18 months now. Had the screen cracked here, no one knows how to fix an Android phone and I had to replace the battery myself. But running on LineageOS which is so good on this phone.

I thought the OP5T was a little high priced and this Honor View10 seems nicely priced-just under 30k.
Old 21st February 2018, 20:11   #27060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. Good chipset (gaming/multi-tasking should be smooth)
2. Good camera
3. Decent battery
4. Regular updates
5. Capacitive navigation buttons (if the screen is small)

I dont care about bezel-less displays/full view/18:9 displays etc. So far I have shortlisted the following (with some compromises)

1. Nokia 8
It's almost like you are highlighting the strong points of Nokia 8 and ignoring the weak points. At Rs. 28,000, it fits your requirements to a T. It is like a Google Pixel 2 at half the price.

Specifications: 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage is just about enough for gaming and multi-tasking. When compared to 6/8 GB competitors, you might find Nokia 8 closing more background applications often. This could effect battery life a bit when compared to others. Oneplus 5T is the performance king though.

Camera: Camera hardware is 10 out of 10, camera software is 6 out of 10. Issue can be resolved by using Google Camera apk
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a...bsg_colors.apk

Battery Life: Seems comparable with competitors going by www.gsmarena.com tests

Regular updates: Google Pixel/Nexus gets updates first. Nokia 8 is always next in line. I'm running Oreo 8.1 right now.

Screen size / bezels : A definite negative when compared to competitors. But because it has capacitive navigation buttons, actual useable screen size is comparable to 5.7 inch 18:9 screen phones.

Another negative is that it is not fully water and dust proof. If you want that, you could consider LG G6. What you will also like about Nokia 8 is solid, solid build quality and it is very nice to hold in hand.

Last edited by SmartCat : 21st February 2018 at 20:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks