Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2018, 08:09   #27796
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The GMail app on my One Plus 3T has stopped syncing since last few weeks. It won't show any email till I open the app
Maybe battery optimization enabled? Try excluding Gmail app from battery optimization list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Is there any way to find which Iphone models from US will have Indian warranty? Sorry for Apple question in Android thread!
i usually check for model number in Apple Indian site and compare with US models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnuvila View Post
Will an unlocked iPhone XS bought from US work with Indian SIM card then?
Yes, that should work.
Old 24th September 2018, 10:29   #27797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
My take

1. Notch - Purely aesthetics, more of a fad rather than functionality.
In most phones the middle portion of the status bar is largely unpopulated. So you don't really lose much. But what gets my goat is that they put a notch on top to make it look like full screen and then sport a large chin in the bottom. Apple's notch is purposeful although it is large. It has a lcd that fills the entire screen sans a notch. Androids just seem to copy the notch as if it is a feature.
Quote:
2. Glass Back - Necessary evil in case one requires wireless charging, fewer antennae bands on body but since we associate non plastic (including polycarbonate) and more fragile materials with premium feel, thus the glass back. Many manufactures are going for glass back only for aesthetics and not even providing wireless charging.
I could still take a well built polycarbonate back. Remember the Lumias? Never looked downmarket.
Quote:
Lesser ports = more dongles = more money.
Worst thing is, these dongles do not seem to be compatible between phones. So you may have to rely on the bundled dongle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Maybe you can take a look at the Vivo V11 Pro. It does have a notch to house the front cam, but it's a very tiny one.
No, am not in the market currently for a new phone. Am just worried that by the time I am in the market, I won't find even one phone that has a headphone jack or a metal/plastic back. Am more or less certain that the notch will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
ps: Just a rant. Let the party continue.

Last edited by civic-sense : 24th September 2018 at 10:31.
Old 24th September 2018, 17:17   #27798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I could still take a well built polycarbonate back.
So could I. Or a rubbery finish. One of the good things about my X-Play was that is never felt like it was slipping out of my hand.
Old 24th September 2018, 19:34   #27799
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The Asus is a lot of phone for the money. I got the 3x32GB variant as a cheap interim phone for the week my Nokia 8 was going to be at the service center. Its been over a fortnight I've got back the Nokia but I haven't bothered switching to the Nokia just yet.

About the issues, the fingerprint sensor has been resolved and front facing camera is also supposed to be working better after an update I received a few days back.
Is there any issue with the vibrating mode in Max Pro M1?
Old 24th September 2018, 21:16   #27800
Senior - BHPian

Any of you using your Android phone exclusively for GPS navigation? On the motorcycle? I was looking at Kyocera phones here - some are waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and what not. I was thinking of getting a used one exclusively for GPS. Ideas?

https://www.kyoceramobile.com/brigadier/

OT - Apple fans, there is a separate thread for iPhones and their ilk. Do a search and you will locate the thread. Or here is the link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ne-thread.html (The iPhone Thread)

Questions about Cr Apple and their usage on networks, warranty etc etc can all go in there.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:00   #27801
Senior - BHPian

What is the benefit of android one? Does it mean that it will get regular updates. Because many of the mid-tier mobiles are suddenly abandoned for any further updates. I have a Lenovo Phab Plus 2, which works very well. But company has not given any update for it and it has abandoned the phone. Does android one makes sure that updates are received?

One tip that I found out of necessity. I noticed that iphone did not get slow with age (at least one year), but in the same period, android would get painfully slower despite of not getting any updates. Digging around this issue, I found that android stores all the opened apps in its cache memory. So when I opened the 'running processes' window from developer's options, I was startled to find even the apps that were used 6-9 months ago still cached. They were closed from the multi-tasking window, but still they were present in the cache. When I cleared them from the cache as well, now the phone is as good as a new one. I did this on two phones, one of them 4 years old. Both of them showed good improvements.

So if your android phone has become slow despite of having space on the phone, do flush the cached ram by going into developer mode. You will definitely see the difference.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:13   #27802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
do flush the cached ram by going into developer mode. You will definitely see the difference.
How to go about that, say for the Samsung J series phones [the entry level ones].
Old 25th September 2018, 11:19   #27803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found that android stores all the opened apps in its cache memory. So when I opened the 'running processes' window from developer's options, I was startled to find even the apps that were used 6-9 months ago still cached. They were closed from the multi-tasking window, but still they were present in the cache. When I cleared them from the cache as well, now the phone is as good as a new one.
I'm not sure the correlation you saw implies a causation. Pretty much all modern operating systems use unused memory for caching. The OS's memory management subsystem has highly optimized algorithms to evict such cached information when required by apps and fill it up when not. If you are seeing 6-9 month old apps in your cache it only means that you didn't use the system memory to the full extend.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:26   #27804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
My experience says - unless someone gets an out-of-the-box defective piece, one can never really go wrong with the OP flagship phones.
I cannot agree more. I use an even older version, the OP3, and it would be an understatement to say that I am extremely satisfied with the phone. My usage is average, not too low and nothing too power hungry. I use two email accounts which are always syncing, whatsapp, lots of youtube and net browsing and general calls and messages. For anyone with such average usage, there is nothing that I can recommend over the One Plus phones. As others have said, Dash Charging is absolutely remarkable and one of the most useful things to have in a mobile phone today.

Also, there are many friends who are using the later models, OP5 and OP6, and they have nothing but good things to say about One Plus.

The only bit which is disappointing to me is that with each successive version, the prices are steadily increasing, but then so are the prices of other flagships. Relatively therefore, OP still remains the king among "budget" flagships. Highly recommended brand.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:40   #27805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How to go about that, say for the Samsung J series phones [the entry level ones].
From google:

On an HTC device, go to Settings > About > Software information > More > Build number. On an LG device, go to Settings > About phone > Software info > Build number. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options.

Same tactic worked on my motorola and Lenovo phones. I am sure your phone too will have similar methods. This tapping 7 times seems weird, but it is one time job to enable the developer mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm not sure the correlation you saw implies a causation. Pretty much all modern operating systems use unused memory for caching. ...
If you are seeing 6-9 month old apps in your cache it only means that you didn't use the system memory to the full extend.
No, I tried this after reading about why my phones were getting slower. I was shocked to see extremely old apps still shown running (or cached, don't remember). But the sped up phones are not my imaginations, even other people felt the phones to be remarkably faster, especially compared to the drag before.

This may be because the phones are not on latest operating systems, but on old android systems (5 or 6 IIRC).

Last edited by ani_meher : 25th September 2018 at 11:45.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:46   #27806
BHPian

Quote:
What is the benefit of android one? Does it mean that it will get regular updates.
That's one of the reasons I bought an Android One phone. But there is no sign of Pie which they have promised to out in Sep, which ends in 5 days.
Quote:
I noticed that iPhone did not get slow with age (at least one year), but in the same period, android would get painfully slower despite of not getting any updates.
That's one can of worms you are trying to open here. My wife's 5S (released 5 years ago), has already got iOS12 and is not showing any signs of lag. Compared to that, into the second year of my ownership of my Nexus 5X, I had to disable quite a few google bloatware to make it perform respectfully.
Old 25th September 2018, 12:24   #27807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the sped up phones are not my imaginations
I am not disputing the correlation. I am only disputing the causal relationship you derive from it.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:08   #27808
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way to find which Iphone models from US will have Indian warranty? Sorry for Apple question in Android thread!

None, as Xs and Xs Max are different this year.
You can check here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
Old 25th September 2018, 18:08   #27809
BHPian

Quote:
So if your android phone has become slow despite of having space on the phone, do flush the cached ram by going into developer mode. You will definitely see the difference.
One more trick is reducing the animation speeds. The same can be found in developer options.
There are three types of animations that you can change.
I change them to 0.5X and an immediate bump up in speed can be observed.

Adding a screenshot of reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180925180530.jpg  

Old 25th September 2018, 19:44   #27810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
One more trick is reducing the animation speeds. The same can be found in developer options.
There are three types of animations that you can change.
I change them to 0.5X and an immediate bump up in speed can be observed.

Adding a screenshot of reference.
Is actually a good idea to keep animation speed to zero. Then the phone really becomes quite fast.
My 2+ year old Mi5 is still quite fast. I don't really see any lags whatsoever.

Most Viewed