Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 12:26   #28426
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

When is the new Poco 2 launching? Been hearing news about it coming through on the 20th this month.

Trying to stave off a phone upgrade until then. My Moto Z play has started showing symptoms of slowing down in the past month.
Old 14th February 2019, 13:00   #28427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
The Camera on my Note 9 started behaving oddly almost one month ago. Whenever the telephoto lens is used, on zooming or using portrait mode, the phone starts vibrating and is unable to focus. Wavy lines start appearing on the screen. The issue did not resolve after Android Pie update. I went to the service centre today. They reckon that the camera autofocus motor is faulty and the entire camera unit needs to be replaced. The part would arrive in 2 days. I was told that it's a 2 hour job and I would be given back the phone with 2 hours.

I liked the entire service experience, however I am wondering would my phone be water resistant, post repair?
After almost 2 years of usage of my Galaxy S8, the battery degraded by a significant margin so thought of replacing the battery.

Even I was confused about whether to go ahead or not. Finally took the plunge and the Samsung Service Centre here in Gurgaon also quoted 2 hrs for replacement and told me that the phone would be reset as the battery needs to calibrate.

It was a job very well done and my phone is back as good as new. I asked them about the water resistance and they showed me the vacuum machine which is used to remove the glass panel. I was convinced and since the time I have got my phone back, it doesn't even look like the back panel was opened. They did a very good job.

Therefore, I would suggest you can safely go for a replacement of the camera module. But yes, it all depends on how the service centre operates.

Cheers
Old 14th February 2019, 17:47   #28428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
After almost 2 years of usage of my Galaxy S8, the battery degraded by a significant margin so thought of replacing the battery.
Can you share the details of the expenses incurred?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 18:02. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 14th February 2019, 19:09   #28429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz.k View Post
Can you share the details of the expenses incurred?
For the battery replacement, I paid around Rs 2300 all-inclusive. This included the battery ( Rs 1700 approx ) + water resistant band/tape ( Rs 230 approx ) + Taxes.

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 14th February 2019 at 19:11.
Old 14th February 2019, 19:43   #28430
BANNED

Quote:
For the battery replacement, I paid around Rs 2300 all-inclusive. This included the battery ( Rs 1700 approx ) + water resistant band/tape ( Rs 230 approx ) + Taxes.
Was that the original Samsung or some other. Please confirm details. Can make a difference to what I do. My S8 (original lot) may be on the way out.
Old 14th February 2019, 19:59   #28431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Was that the original Samsung or some other. Please confirm details. Can make a difference to what I do. My S8 (original lot) may be on the way out.
Yes, it was an original Samsung. Mentioning the address below for the service centre. Shall post a photo of the bill once I get time for your reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 14th February 2019 at 20:02.
Old 15th February 2019, 11:30   #28432
BANNED

@aditya.bhardwaj; thanks for the information. I may be in Gurugram in April, so may even contact them. So this information provided by you is adequate. 2300 all inclusive looks like a very good deal.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:16   #28433
BHPian

Quote:
@aditya.bhardwaj; thanks for the information. I may be in Gurugram in April, so may even contact them. So this information provided by you is adequate. 2300 all inclusive looks like a very good deal.
Absolutely, for the price, it's a very good deal considering the overall price of the phone. You can refer the below link for the other spares. Samsung has listed them for most of their phones.

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/i...one-part-cost/
Old 15th February 2019, 12:31   #28434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
When is the new Poco 2 launching? Been hearing news about it coming through on the 20th this month.

Trying to stave off a phone upgrade until then. My Moto Z play has started showing symptoms of slowing down in the past month.
Poco F2 is rumored to come with the same SD 845 chipset as current Poco F1 according to Geekbench listing, with only modifications in design and camera (link). You can consider this if you are not looking forward to owning latest SD 855 chip. But to be taken with pinch of salt, as not confirmed yet.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:34   #28435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Poco F2 is rumored to come with the same SD 845 chipset as current Poco F1 according to Geekbench listing, with only modifications in design and camera (link). You can consider this if you are not looking forward to owning latest SD 855 chip. But to be taken with pinch of salt, as not confirmed yet.
Yeah, I just want a better camera, with low light and maybe image stabilisation tech - just not at the extortionist pricing of the pixels! Hopefully the F2 comes with all these things in the box. I don't mind putting in lineageOS and moving to the google cam mod too. All possible thankfully with the Poco series.
Old 19th February 2019, 12:41   #28436
BANNED

Quote:
Absolutely, for the price, it's a very good deal considering the overall price of the phone. You can refer the below link for the other spares. Samsung has listed them for most of their phones.

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/i...one-part-cost/
I got a Samsung Mains charger for Rs.520/- from IITK. I am told the prices have been dramatically reduced.

It has a 2A rating. Only while the unit is white the cable is black, hardly matters.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st March 2019 at 14:38. Reason: Correcting minor typo :)
Old 21st February 2019, 12:16   #28437
Distinguished - BHPian

Samsung has launched their new smartphones yesterday. 3 variants - S10e, S10, S10+ much like the iphone variants. S10e is the less expensive variant and S10+ being the most expensive of the 3.
Some of the features are in the below images:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-capture1.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-capture.jpg

I have no idea when it'll arrive in India. But I expect it to arrive soon.

But the biggest unveil of the day was the phone Galaxy Fold
It has a 4+" screen on the outside with a single lens selfie camera, a 3 lens rear camera like the S10 series, and when opened, it has a 7.4" screen inside and 2 lens selfie camera. Making it a total of 6 lenses
512GB non expandable memory, 2 batteries totaling to around 4300mah. As expected it is one expensive phone. It'll retail only in the US from April 2019 for a price of $1980!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-capture2.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-capture3.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-capture4.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-capture5.jpg

Just when we have a thread discussing if phones have peaked in terms of innovation, Samsung has come up with a first. Samsung has now upped the game!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 21st February 2019 at 12:34.
Old 21st February 2019, 12:54   #28438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Samsung has launched their new smartphones yesterday.
But the biggest unveil of the day was the phone Galaxy Fold
The fold looked good; kudos to Samsung to finally get over (hopefully) the hinge related issues.

Quote:
Just when we have a thread discussing if phones have peaked in terms of innovation, Samsung has come up with a first. Samsung has now upped the game!
Doubt that. The Chinese manufacturers had already started rolling out phones with the button camera; so Samsung ain't the first. Also in terms of "innovative" features, we are yet to see something worthwhile in the S10.

The Fold is a great move. But honestly (IMO) I don't see a need for nearly ~$2000 phone just because it offers the option to work as my tablet as a great innovation.

There was a time when Samsung (or was it LG?) itself fueled rumors of bendable screens; with a high degree of flexibility. Having a hinge (however great they make it and hide it) in a phone is just a small jump in innovation index.

OT: The size of the Fold phone reminded me of the late 90s movies where the phones would open up like a pencil box and used to carry diamonds by criminals

Last edited by navin : 21st February 2019 at 13:01. Reason: typo
Old 21st February 2019, 14:47   #28439
BANNED

@hemanth.anand; Seems that the 5G will be launched later (sometimes in Q2 next year). So the advise from ZD-Net is to hold back until it comes. No point in getting the S10 without the 5G. 5G (which is coming here as well) will be the real game changer. At the moment they say an upgrade to the S10 without 5G may be a waste of money.
Old 21st February 2019, 14:57   #28440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Also in terms of "innovative" features, we are yet to see something worthwhile in the S10.
Agreed, S10 is purely an upgrade except wireless power share. you can charge one Qi capable device (like Galaxy Watch or another phone) with this.

Quote:
The Fold is a great move. But honestly (IMO) I don't see a need for nearly ~$2000 phone just because it offers the option to work as my tablet as a great innovation.
Neither do I see the need just now for such a phone. But it's subjective though, there are many people who carry two devices (phone and tablet). This has integrated those 2 which is very good for them.

Quote:
an upgrade to the S10 without 5G may be a waste of money.
True, 5G phones are the future. especially an expensive phone like this without 5G at this point of time is not worth it.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 21st February 2019 at 15:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks