Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 08:38   #28921
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Many thanks for the info! I didn't want to move from the Honor View 10 - which is more than a year old - but if it won't be getting any updates, upgrades, I might have to move to another phone.

I am playing the waiting game as of this moment but am interested in the Oppo. Will reach out for any questions.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro, bought when I was in the US. The phone is still very fast, captures brilliant pics in all lighting conditions, good sound.. in fact nothing bad to tell about it. It gets security updates before the 5th of every month.

But, I read on the Huawei site that it is not slated to be among the 14 devices that will get Android Q. When I first purchased it, it was in line to receive 2 software updates (till Q). Unlocking the bootloader isnt easy on a Huawei and Custom Roms are very few since the Chipset is not SD.

Now I'm looking for a phone which gets software updates very fast, easy to root and has lot of custom roms to update after 2 years. And has a brilliant camera like the Huawei. Any suggestions?
Old 21st June 2019, 11:31   #28922
BHPian

Installed Gcam in my OnePlus 7. Installation itself is pretty straightforward and can be done in less than two minutes.

Haven't tried the Nightscape vs NightSight however, one thing I could see immediately is the color reproduction. Gcam colors are pretty good and OP7's colors doesn't seem to be so.
Old 22nd June 2019, 16:58   #28923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Installed Gcam in my OnePlus 7. Installation itself is pretty straightforward and can be done in less than two minutes.
Which one did you install? I saw there were two options. I was somehow not happy with the one I installed.
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:51   #28924
BHPian

Received my OnePlus 7 yesterday and switching from the iPhone 6 seems like huge leap. Finally I feel like having a phone that works based on my requirements and not the other way round. BTW this is my first ever android phone
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:04   #28925
BHPian

Dad finally decided to upgrade to a new phone and handed me down his 1.5 year old Lenovo Z2 Plus running on SD 820. Coming from a Moto E4, I'm extremely impressed! With all my previous phones, I used to close background apps because the phone would feel sluggish, but not with this. Yesterday, after using the phone for 2 days, I finally checked the recent apps page, and approx 20 different apps had been running. This with absolutely no change in performance. I've always been a big fan of the phone's design (I was the one who selected it for him, over the Redmi Note 4). The camera is pretty good too (by my standards, at least) and is lightning quick. Only downside is the stupid ZUI, and I'm thinking of rooting the phone and using Sailfish OS. A bit wary though, since I don't want to brick such a lovely phone.

I've been known to keep my phones for a long time, so I'm hoping to keep this one for another 2-3 years at least!
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:22   #28926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Only downside is the stupid ZUI, and I'm thinking of rooting the phone and using Sailfish OS. A bit wary though, since I don't want to brick such a lovely phone.
I have the same phone for almost 2.5 years. Not sure about sailfish since have never tried non-android OS, but AOSiP Pie is a great ROM for this excellent phone. Give it a try.
Old 23rd June 2019, 15:13   #28927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
If you are able to get into to Fastboot , bootimage might have gone corrupted and partitions lost. If the phone is being detected on the PC then you need to sideload the OS and the other required files through ADB. I will see if i can can get the detailed steps from the XDA thread and will send it to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Yes. This is most probably a soft brick. No need of jtag flash.
Ok - An update on my situation.

I got the phone back from Service Center (they diagnosed that motherboard needs changing!!). Any I thanked them and got home. After some fiddling, I managed to get the phone storage visible in the PC. Loaded the stock ROM - didn't work.

Then tried Pixel Experience and voila, it started booting! I couldn't just just believe my eyes. It did initial set-up and there you go, I had a brand new Pixel skin on my 2 year MotoG5plus (which I thought was bricked)!

A note on Pixel Experience ROM: It's wonderful, smooth so far. Plus I get all the goodies like "Winddown", Digital Wellbeing and most importantly Google Camera with NightSight, HDR+, Sphere and even Portrait mode!!

I am loving it. Thanks to all who never allowed me to lose hope
Old 24th June 2019, 20:54   #28928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Received my OnePlus 7 yesterday and switching from the iPhone 6 seems like huge leap. Finally I feel like having a phone that works based on my requirements and not the other way round. BTW this is my first ever android phone
I am in the same boat wanting to upgrade from my iPhone 6. The current iPhone prices keep me moving towards Android, especially the OnePlus 7 / Pro, Pixel 3a, or the Samsung Galaxy S10e.

Do update this thread on your Android experience, especially coming from iOS.
Old 24th June 2019, 22:57   #28929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
I am in the same boat wanting to upgrade from my iPhone 6. The current iPhone prices keep me moving towards Android, especially the OnePlus 7 / Pro, Pixel 3a, or the Samsung Galaxy S10e.

Do update this thread on your Android experience, especially coming from iOS.
I'll keep it simple mate, I don't miss my iPhone a bit as of now. The OP7 might not win races in all the departments, but surely manages chew up every single task you throw at it without breaking a sweat. The Oxygen OS is simple, clean and snappy. And boy, the customisability and connectivity with peer devices just broke me free from a jail. Most importantly, I'm writing this reply on my new phone, which after a day of somewhat heavy usage has 39% juice left. Never ever did I have this luxury on my iPhone 6, which btw I had bought three years back at the same exact price
Old 26th June 2019, 10:09   #28930
BHPian

Quote:
How is the photo quality, does it has portrait mode, can you please share some pics taken my OnePlus 7.
Old 26th June 2019, 14:30   #28931
BANNED

With the imminent introduction of 5G whiah phones are 5G compatible, ie they can connect on 5G. As we are shifting to the NCR A can assume we will have 5G capabilities very soon. My current phone is a Samsung S8.
Old 26th June 2019, 14:36   #28932
Team-BHP Support

How ready are we with infrastructure to support 5G services? Most urban areas already suffer from crippling network congestion and can barely support existing 3G/4G services consistently.
Old 26th June 2019, 14:40   #28933
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
How ready are we with infrastructure to support 5G services? Most urban areas already suffer from crippling network congestion and can barely support existing 3G/4G services consistently.
You are right. NCR is particularly bad. High phone density and restrictions on Towers in the Lutyens zone. Let us see how it goes. In any case I will get a local wireless connection in my tower/flat.
Old 26th June 2019, 14:45   #28934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
How is the photo quality, does it has portrait mode, can you please share some pics taken my OnePlus 7.
IMHO, the camera quality is really very good. Yes it does have a portrait mode, both for the rear as well as the front facing cameras. Will post some samples soon, haven't clicked many pics as of now.
Old 26th June 2019, 15:25   #28935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, the camera quality is really very good. Yes it does have a portrait mode, both for the rear as well as the front facing cameras. Will post some samples soon, haven't clicked many pics as of now.
What I read in the internet is that OP7 camera is actually a step down from OP6T or may be similar.
Things like photo quality are very subjective and depends on expectations.
Coming from a Google Pixel and Galaxy S10, I can say it is nowhere near. It might be okay for the price though.

I would say this - Oneplus really matches the performance of the flagships, provies a nice clean user experience, build quality is good, screen is good, battery life is excellent etc etc. But, 2 aspects I find it lacking are - camera and water-resistance. Another issue personally for me is that I find it big and heavy. Also, compared to Samsung flagships,, the screen is not as good or as bright. It's a great device for the price. I am not sure about the OP7 Pro - it's too big for me to even consider.

Most Viewed