Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 17:11   #29071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Yup, made a visit there only. But not so cheap as it can be.

Will be looking for options - but the writing is clear on the wall; next phone has to be a water-resistant phone, one with a warranty that proclaims it. With my hobbies ensuring I'll be repeating this again, I need it.
Sorry to hear. As far as I know phone companies do not warrant water damaged phones even if they are certified and advertised as water resistant phones. That's the case with Apple at least. Not sure about Samsung and others.
Old 8th August 2019, 17:22   #29072
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for all the inputs guys, appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
And about the OnePlus 7...
Picked it up for my brother last week and I'm more impressed that I thought I would be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Been hearing a bit about hardware issues in Nokia.
My parents are using the 6.1 & 6.1+ since they were launched and fortunately no problems with either of their phones till date. The Nokia 8 has had 2 camera replacements, and a day before the display failed the camera stabilizer issued had showed up briefly yet again. Nokia has quoted 6K inclusive of taxes for a screen replacement which IMHO is reasonable pricing considering the otherwise top quality panel. But considering the sketchy past I'm not sure if something else will come up in near future after replacing the display. The phone in itself is superb what I need and I'm still sitting on the fence on having it repaired.

Quote:
Both decisions are 2X [price difference apart]. If you keep your phone for a longer period, OP makes sense, but with 5G looming, I won't invest much in a phone for now and will wait for 5G to go mainstream and will buy something which won't bother me.
Unless they get unusable I generally end up using my phones for 2 years easy, so mind spending decent (not obscene) money if its a really good phone, OnePlus 7 in this case. The 5G isn't really a deal breaker for me though, I rarely use data heavy applications when not at home or work.

Quote:
Will suggest you to get a Poco F1 for now.
Will check it out but apart from the top dog processor I don't see much else going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
Just get the Oneplus 7. Its a no brainer. You are guaranteed a minimum of 3 years of stress free experience. The amazon sale is around the corner. You could hook up one below 30k with cashback and offers.
Picked it up for 31K from a retail store (32.5K - 1500 Citibank cashback) and pretty satisfied with the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Redmi note 7 Pro - Will tick most of the boxes. However, the ads are annoying. Please check about that before considering it. Otherwise great price.
My first experience with ads embedded within the OS was only recently when using an honor 9 lite and it was super annoying. Surely not going to pick up a phone prone to ads.

Quote:
Motorola One Power- After the crappy experience my father had with a Motorola phone I will never suggest anyone to buy it. Plus they seem to be tad below among others.
My experience with the G5+ has been quite the opposite, terrific phone, no slowdowns despite running full storage, multiple apps, 10s of browser windows, etc. Fell through the window a couple of times and returned without anything broken. Only recently it fell again and needs a screen replacement, will just use it as a backup phone, the OEM screen may be more expensive than what its worth.

Quote:
Samsung A50 - I am using the 6Gb variant since last 4 months. Completely satisfied. No lags, brilliant amoled screen, good battery optimization. I got it for 23k when it was launched but price has come down since then.
Thanks, will be replacing the G5+ mostly with the A30/50 (4x64 GB) over the weekend. All VFM aside the Samsung amoled panels are just a class apart.

Quote:
One plus 7 - it's almost twice the price of a Note 7 Pro. The good question- if the hardware, camera etc are so much better to warranty a double spend.
Checked out the 7 Pro at the store when picking the OnePlus 7 and it definitely made it difficult to spend 2x for the OP7. For regular use most mid rangers today are really good and apart from the relatively better pictures and slightly more refined OS there is very little extra one can derive from a top rung device. Infact I took till eternity to swap back from my budget interim Asus M1 Pro to the Nokia when it came back from the service center last time around.

Quote:
On a side note I will also suggest to check out Vivo Z1 Pro. It's getting great reviews and looks like an all rounder.
Frankly I'm still to warm up to Vivo and Oppo, I haven't seen any of their devices till date but they are just brands I'm just not keen on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Unlike Apple I find OnePlus to be reasonably priced when it comes to spares. Please get the work done from the authorized service center. It is as cheap as it can.
OnePlus has been the smoothest after sales service experience ever. Went to replace the OnePlus 5 screen sometime last year and it was done within 30 minutes odd, no drop, no pickup, no nonsense. Absolutely top class service and facility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I have suffered multiple times (with iPhones and MacBooks) when it came to gadgets going for pocket friendly service centers. Hence.
Agreed. I have only had bad to terrible experiences in the recent past with phone screen replacements and hence resisting the half price route this time around with the Nokia 8.
Old 8th August 2019, 19:18   #29073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
OnePlus 7 Pro (51.5K) vs Note 9 (60K) vs Note 10 (63K) after prevailing offers for the mid-variants.

Which one?! Heavy business use and large screen required.
How about getting a regular OnePlus 7 and an iPad Pro/Air instead for the price of a Note 10 Plus?

The new iPadOS will come this September and its looking good, with support for external storage, keyboard and a mouse, its the perfect device for business, and it can replace your laptop as well.

The battery lasts for 1 day, even if the screen is on for 10 hours!

Apple Pencil is much more comfortable and useful than SPen on the Note series!
Old 9th August 2019, 14:20   #29074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
My first experience with ads embedded within the OS was only recently when using an honor 9 lite and it was super annoying.
We have a Honor 9 lite at home and I haven't noticed any ads in it. Are you sure some third party app isn't involved?
Quote:
Frankly I'm still to warm up to Vivo and Oppo, I haven't seen any of their devices till date but they are just brands I'm just not keen on.
Well, all Oneplus phones have been rehashed Oppo phones with Oxygen OS instead of Color OS. It is just a mental block that you will have to overcome.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:46   #29075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
next phone has to be a water-resistant phone, one with a warranty that proclaims it.

No company covers water damage, even on a IP67/68 rating ones.

Neither Apple nor Samsung. Read the fine print.
So while it is good to have a waterproof phone, don't expect it to be covered by warranty in case something untoward happens. Always keep your phones aside or switch them off

Quoting from respective sites:
"Water and other liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty". Link here

Samsung: " Warranty shall be void if product has failed under certain conditions/types(example: Waterlogging, misuse etc.)"
Link here
Old 9th August 2019, 15:10   #29076
Senior - BHPian

I have an Honor View 10 which is about 18 months old and the FingerPrint Scanner at the bottom of the phone on the front side seems to be giving away.

The button like structure has a gap on the top and looks like it will peel away if something is not done. Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Does it make sense to try a DIY and try to stick it using some Fevikwik
or
Should I try a Mobile Repair shop or head straight to the Authorized Service Center?

Name:  HV10.png
Views: 239
Size:  299.0 KB
For Illustration

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 9th August 2019 at 15:11.
Old 9th August 2019, 15:21   #29077
Distinguished - BHPian

Those who want to waterproof, are better off buying the phone of their choice and slipping over an otterbox case, some of which come with a waterproofing feature.
Old 9th August 2019, 16:54   #29078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
No company covers water damage, even on a IP67/68 rating ones.

Neither Apple nor Samsung. Read the fine print.
Whaddayaknow! Thanks for this! All those ads about running/riding in the rain - what a ridiculous claim by these bogus companies! Next time a mobile salesman throws this "feature" at me, he's got a curveball coming for him for sure

Well, while I'm trying to jugaado-fy cheaper options for the OnePlus, one "negotiation" I have done in the house is to claim my older S8 from my mom with a "promise" of an Ipad Mini later. My logic was that phone has gone through the same waterfall (and rain) 2 years ago without complaint, so it should relatively be better-off. Well, the warranty's gone anyway, so will have to get a better case for the S8 for the next waterfall climb!
Old 9th August 2019, 17:44   #29079
Senior - BHPian

The problem is water proofing is restricted to certain limits and the company would have no way of knowing if you have exceeded those limits.

You will be safe usually if you stick to their limits of depth and such. Sea water is generally a no-no. Bucket of water, sure. Swimming pool maybe for a few quick shots under water but not if you plan on diving down with it.

Well that's my understanding anyway.
Old 9th August 2019, 19:07   #29080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The problem is water proofing is restricted to certain limits and the company would have no way of knowing if you have exceeded those limits.

You will be safe usually if you stick to their limits of depth and such. Sea water is generally a no-no. Bucket of water, sure. Swimming pool maybe for a few quick shots under water but not if you plan on diving down with it.

Well that's my understanding anyway.
I was onsite at an exotic Caribbean island and took my phone to the beach and shot a few under water videos of fish and other marine life .
The phone was working fine, but my Gear VR was not detecting the phone after a few days, so when I took the phone to the service center, they found that there was water damage. They fixed it without charging me, but I think not everyone will be so lucky.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:49   #29081
BHPian

I've been offered a Samsung Note 10+ for AUD 850 (approximately 41000 INR)

Does anyone know any potential issues to buying from Australia? Warranty is not an issue, but will any feature not work in India?

I would like to keep the phone for 3-4 years. I hope 4G will continue till that time. Does anyone working in the industry have any knowledge about that. That is, will the telcos force me to buy a 5G phone in a couple of years?
Old 12th August 2019, 11:55   #29082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I've been offered a Samsung Note 10+ for AUD 850 (approximately 41000 INR)

Does anyone know any potential issues to buying from Australia? Warranty is not an issue, but will any feature not work in India?

I would like to keep the phone for 3-4 years. I hope 4G will continue till that time. Does anyone working in the industry have any knowledge about that. That is, will the telcos force me to buy a 5G phone in a couple of years?

Check the bands the phone supports. Don't have much idea about phones from Oz land.
As for 5G, be assured, no one is going to force you any time soon. 5G will still take a minimum of 3 years to become properly operational in India. And 4G is pretty fast as well, so you should be good from a usage perspective.
Old 12th August 2019, 12:02   #29083
Senior - BHPian

No issues buying from Australia and using here. I am assuming it is not locked to Optus or Telstra etc. The note 10 should have all the global GSM bands for it to work in India.
4 years is a long time to speculate where the market would move but 5g is still in its infancy and would take a few years before it becomes mainstream.
Old 12th August 2019, 12:19   #29084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
No issues buying from Australia and using here. I am assuming it is not locked to Optus or Telstra etc. The note 10 should have all the global GSM bands for it to work in India.
4 years is a long time to speculate where the market would move but 5g is still in its infancy and would take a few years before it becomes mainstream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
As for 5G, be assured, no one is going to force you any time soon. 5G will still take a minimum of 3 years to become properly operational in India. And 4G is pretty fast as well, so you should be good from a usage perspective.
Thanks for the responses. I couldn't find info regarding support for phones bought in Australia anywhere else, so thanks a lot for your responses. I'm reasonably confident that there wouldn't be too many issues.
Old 12th August 2019, 21:39   #29085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I couldn't find info regarding support for phones bought in Australia anywhere else, so thanks a lot for your responses. I'm reasonably confident that there wouldn't be too many issues.
Not sure how relevant my case is, but here it is. I had bought iPhone 3GS in Jan 2010 in Australia. Before moving to India in Jul 2010, I got the phone unlocked from Telstra paying 150 AUD. The phone worked well in India and I had no issues till Dec 2011 when the battery died.

Last edited by civic-dk : 12th August 2019 at 22:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks