Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2019, 19:59   #29146
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Have you considered Samsung A50? I have been using it for a month or so. My short review is in this thread couple of pages back.
The A50 has a screen flicker rate of 119 hz, which is too low. Be careful if your eyes are sensitive to screen flicker.
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:11   #29147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Folks, query to all members.

I am looking to buy a handset in the upcoming Flipkart / Amazon sale. Below is what I am looking for.
1. OLED screen
2. 4gb / 64 gb
3. Must be under 72 mm, width
4. Excellent camera.
5. Budget, under 30k.
6. Headphone jack. won't like to carry connector everywhere as I have kept different headphones at diff places and like to use anyone which is near to me

With these, only few devices I can find. Top contenders are Pixel 3a, Galaxy S9 and Mi A3.
I gifted a Nokia 8.1 4GB/64GB plus dual sim to my wife, and her requirements were very much the same, except for budget around 15k. The price of Nokia 8.1 plus was reduced to 16k a few weeks ago, from its listing price of 28k.

The phone screen is not OLED, but it is Puredisplay HDR10 screen and youtube videos look gorgeous on it. The phone's design is really beautiful. I think it is the only mobile with optical image stabilization under 20-25k, and the camera quality is very good (even comparable to my Pixel 2 XL).

I envy the 3.5mm jack on that phone, as my pixel does not have it and I have to carry a stupid USB C to 3.5mm dongle if I want to use any headphone.

I suggest Nokia 8.1 as you are open to cross shopping from the lower budget as well.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:04   #29148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I think it is the only mobile with optical image stabilization under 20-25k
Motorola One Vision is another at much lower price point which comes with Android One OS. Price will be further discounted during the upcoming 30th Sept sale on Flipkart. The state of the art gestures features of Motorola phones are ice on the cake.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 24th September 2019 at 06:05.
Old 24th September 2019, 08:25   #29149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The A50 has a screen flicker rate of 119 hz, which is too low. Be careful if your eyes are sensitive to screen flicker.
I didn't notice flicker at all. Screen is gorgeous to log at though.

What is the flicker rate of normal phones by the way?
Old 24th September 2019, 09:11   #29150
BHPian

Need to buy a phone with a budget of 15-20k. Only requirement is,it should have the best camera in the given budget.
What are my options ?
Old 24th September 2019, 09:23   #29151
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys! I have a couple of queries:

1. I have a OnePlus 5T 128GB with 8GB ROM (1 Yr 9 months old) which is mostly unused since I upgraded few months back. Today, I got an offer of 17.5K for it. Is it a good price? Should I sell it off?

2. Also, how do I completely wipe off the phone should I chose to sell it off? The fear of my pics and other data getting used by others has kept me away from selling the phone all this time.

Last edited by Pancham : 24th September 2019 at 09:24.
Old 24th September 2019, 09:28   #29152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post

2. Also, how do I completely wipe off the phone should I chose to sell it off? The fear of my pics and other data getting used by others has kept me away from selling the phone all this time.
You could do a factory reset. This would make the data unusable. If you feel you need an even more secure option, you could first encrypt your data, and then do a factory reset.
Old 24th September 2019, 09:54   #29153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I didn't notice flicker at all. Screen is gorgeous to log at though.

What is the flicker rate of normal phones by the way?
You won't notice any flicker, but rather have problems like headache, eyestrain etc if you are sensitive.

Good OLED panels should have values above 250 which is considered relatively safe. LCDs usually does not have flicker, and the ones that do flicker have it only at very low brightness.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/PWM-Ra....163979.0.html

These days, some manufacturers (Apple, Oneplus, Oppo, Realme) etc offers local dimming option which users can enable with a caveat that it can affect display quality. But at very low brightness they may still resort to flicker.

Last edited by civic-sense : 24th September 2019 at 09:59.
Old 24th September 2019, 13:49   #29154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
You could do a factory reset. This would make the data unusable. If you feel you need an even more secure option, you could first encrypt your data, and then do a factory reset.
Ok thanks!

Another quick question, For Google Photos, if I factory reset the phone, will the photos stored in Google Photos also get deleted? Asking this since when we manually delete photos in the phone, they get deleted Google Photos as well.

Also, how do I ensure the same for contacts since they are also synced with Google.
Old 24th September 2019, 13:57   #29155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its from Flipkart, you are only eligible for a replacement. No refunds once it is delivered.
You are correct. We cannot return the phone
Old 24th September 2019, 13:59   #29156
BHPian

Quote:
Ok thanks!

Another quick question, For Google Photos, if I factory reset the phone, will the photos stored in Google Photos also get deleted? Asking this since when we manually delete photos in the phone, they get deleted Google Photos as well.

Also, how do I ensure the same for contacts since they are also synced with Google.
No, your photos wouldn't be deleted from Google photos if you do a factory reset. It stays on your account till you manually delete it.

By default, your contacts should be on your google account. You could log into your Google account to double check. If it's not synced, you could initiate a sync as well.

Last edited by swissknife : 24th September 2019 at 14:02.
Old 24th September 2019, 14:11   #29157
BHPian

Quote:
Ok thanks!

Please be aware that if you are using free storage, the files in store is extremely compressed (lossy compression - 100-200kb). So take a backup. Else you will end up with mediocre quality photos.
Old 24th September 2019, 14:33   #29158
BHPian

Quote:
Ok thanks!

Asking this since when we manually delete photos in the phone, they get deleted Google Photos as well.
If you want to delete the photos only from your device and not from the cloud, select the photo, and "Delete from device" from the options (3 dots on right top). Learnt this the hard way.

Quote:
Please be aware that if you are using free storage, the files in store is extremely compressed (lossy compression - 100-200kb). So take a backup. Else you will end up with mediocre quality photos.
The loss is not very significant in most cases.
Old 24th September 2019, 16:59   #29159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
The loss is not very significant in most cases.
Maybe my camera should have given me a 100kb JPEG and not bothered giving me a 3mb file.

Storage is cheap. So cheap that you don't really need to compress your photos to 100kb. I may use Google Photos as a secondary storage, not my primary photo vault. Better buy a cheap hard drive or a NAS if you can't afford a cloud storage plan.

Last edited by civic-sense : 24th September 2019 at 17:01.
Old 24th September 2019, 18:33   #29160
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe my camera should have given me a 100kb JPEG and not bothered giving me a 3mb file.

Storage is cheap. So cheap that you don't really need to compress your photos to 100kb. I may use Google Photos as a secondary storage, not my primary photo vault. Better buy a cheap hard drive or a NAS if you can't afford a cloud storage plan.
I mentioned "most" cases. Seeing that this thread is about Android Phones not DSLR or photography related, the typical use cases would be your routine photos, not professional. Please read the article quoted earlier; Google Photos compression is just about half, not thirty times as you seem to think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks