Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 15:16   #29311
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Thanks @sharktale (one of my all time favorite animated movies)

Agree to your feedback about Mi A3 but the 720p screen is a downer. Guess the current Moto G5 Plus my father uses has a 1080p screen. Its close to 3 years now and he is going to keep the phone for long. That's the only reason I didn't consider it. I used a A1 earlier and even that had a 1080p screen.

Usually read through the verdict of most reviews unless there is something specific that I want to read through. I am currently using a Nokia 6.1+ and it feels pretty premium build wise for the price. Has anything changed for X.2 series as I assumed that the build would be similar.

I do understand that 8.1 is a more premium mid ranger so expecting better performance with the 710 QC chip. Just read through the reviews and figured out that it has better build quality than 7 and 6 series. Only chink is the wide notch that will take some getting used to. Was looking for a 6 GB variant but looks like will have to settle for a 4 GB one as GB variant isn't available anywhere.
Went ahead and ordered a Nokia 8.1 4 GB variant. Would have loved to have the 6 GB variant as it comes with 128 GB memory as well and costs a 1 K more over the 4 GB variant but unfortunately its not available either on Amazon, Flipkart or the Nokia site.

Cost me 11.8 K INR which is a steal for this phone. The build quality is pretty premium and the 7XX QC chip is known to have good performance. The HDR 10 display as per reviews is amazing and since it was launched with Andriod Pie I can expect a minimum of 2 more OS upgrades and 2 years of security update. I use McAfee paid AV and this should have me covered for 3 years from now. So around 4 K per year for a premium mid ranger. Can't get anymore cost effective. Only downer is wide notch.

Happy with the purchase and waiting to get my hands on it. Also ordered 1+ Bullets 2 BT earphones and a Mi Band 4 during the sale (Both for 7K).

Hopefully I am covered for next 3 years. Currently use a Nokia 6.1+ which I got during last sale for around 4.8 K. The 8.1 will be for Dad's use.
Old 24th October 2019, 15:00   #29312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Thats a first! I have been using two OP phones over the last three years and bluetooth connection issues have never come up, whether in the car or otherwise..
I suspect Poweramp Media Player now.

They've added a bunch of aggressive buffering and sampling settings, that could be causing stutter while streaming. Have disabled a bunch of stuff, wait and watch for a few days.
Old 29th October 2019, 18:10   #29313
Oxy
BHPian

Any Poco F1 users here?

The 8GB RAM and 256 GB storage variant of this is available on Flipkart at 16.5k after discounts, which I think is a steal. Some actual ownership reviews would really help.

This will be for my wife, her aging (and now broken) Honor 8 Pro needs to be replaced.

Last edited by Oxy : 29th October 2019 at 18:12.
Old 29th October 2019, 19:13   #29314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Any Poco F1 users here?

The 8GB RAM and 256 GB storage variant of this is available on Flipkart at 16.5k after discounts, which I think is a steal. Some actual ownership reviews would really help.

This will be for my wife, her aging (and now broken) Honor 8 Pro needs to be replaced.
Got one for my wife (usage limited to basic communication+YouTube+camera) during the last Amazon sale. Phone is snappy as hell and battery life is decent. Seems like it will last another two years without hiccups. For the price, I'd say buy it with eyes closed.
Old 29th October 2019, 21:46   #29315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any Poco F1 users here?

I bought it for my wife last year and it is holding up well. We have a toddler and the phone has taken the abuse quite well. Xiaomi also released the Widevine update for it and it supports Amazon Prime @FHD as well. For the asking price it's a very good phone. The cameras are also good and GCam is available.

Impressed with this purchase from Xiaomi I recently moved to the K20 Pro during the recent sale at 23K.

Note: At this price of sub 20K, I would also recommend taking a look at the Samsung Galaxy M30S as well. An AMOLED screen does make a big difference.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 29th October 2019 at 21:53.
Old 29th October 2019, 22:00   #29316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I bought it for my wife last year and it is holding up well. We have a toddler and the phone has taken the abuse quite well. Xiaomi also released the Widevine update for it and it supports Amazon Prime @FHD as well. For the asking price it's a very good phone. The cameras are also good and GCam is available.

Impressed with this purchase from Xiaomi I recently moved to the K20 Pro during the recent sale at 23K.

Note: At this price of sub 20K, I would also recommend taking a look at the Samsung Galaxy M30S as well. An AMOLED screen does make a big difference.
I was checking K20 pro for a family member but found the pictures caputured were poorer than those with my 03 year old S7 edge. Didn't buy as the criteria was a good camera phone.
Old 29th October 2019, 22:14   #29317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
I was checking K20 pro for a family member but found the pictures caputured were poorer than those with my 03 year old S7 edge. Didn't buy as the criteria was a good camera phone.
I think you missed the most important part. Gcam. Install Gcam and the pictures from K20 with the latest Sony sensor would be much better than 3 year old S7.

Same goes for Poco F1. In fact it has the same camera module as in pixel 3. Pictures captured using Gcam are just fantastic.
Old 29th October 2019, 22:19   #29318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Same goes for Poco F1. In fact it has the same camera module as in pixel 3. Pictures captured using Gcam are just fantastic.
Sharing some pics from the K20 Pro Stock Camera - I am no photography expert - up to the folks to decide. Personally, I am quite happy with the camera.

Note: I did have to compress and get the file sizes to be < 4 MB to meet the Team-BHP Upload limits.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20191013_104605.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20191013_105056.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20191013_135333.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20191013_140247.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20191013_141149.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20191013_143503.jpg
Old 9th November 2019, 20:26   #29319
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Cost me 11.8 K INR which is a steal for this phone.
From where did you get this for 11.8k, if I may ask. I cannot find it for less than 14.5k anywhere, at least online.
Old 10th November 2019, 08:54   #29320
Oxy
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the feedback RiGOD and vsrivatsa, it really helps.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:48   #29321
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile I downloaded the Global MIUI ROM and upgraded my K20 Pro to the MI UI 11 with Android 10. All is well and exploring the features of MI UI 11 and Android 10 now.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20191110215109230_com.android.updater.png

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20191110215858901_android.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20191110215949408_com.android.updater.jpg

Entire process was smooth and the ROM was about 2.2 GB in Size. I happened to check my wife's Poco F1 after I upgraded mine and found that it is already on MI UI 11 but the Android still shows up as Android 9. So I guess the Android 10 is being provided only to the new devices as of now.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 11th November 2019 at 12:49.
Old 11th November 2019, 13:52   #29322
BHPian

Quote:
From where did you get this for 11.8k, if I may ask. I cannot find it for less than 14.5k anywhere, at least online.
Got it during the Diwali sale. Exchanged a 3 yr old Moto G5 Plus and Citi credit card discount of 10%. Post exchange and discounts it cost me 11.8 K
Old 14th November 2019, 10:27   #29323
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
At this price of sub 20K, I would also recommend taking a look at the Samsung Galaxy M30S as well. An AMOLED screen does make a big difference.
Point taken, but personally I see little sense in buying a current midranger when for the same money I can get last year's flagship.

You get phones like the Poco F1 and Asus 5Z for 16k these days (6/128 gb variant). For the same money, you get current phones like the Redmi Note 8 Pro, Realme XT, Samsung M30S, Mi A3 etc, I agree all of them are good phones but they still are mid rangers at the end of the day. Maybe they will receive security updates for a year more than compared to flagships from last year, but I somehow feel a generation old flagship is more usable than a current midranger.
Old 14th November 2019, 10:41   #29324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Point taken, but personally I see little sense in buying a current midranger when for the same money I can get last year's flagship.

You get phones like the Poco F1 and Asus 5Z for 16k these days (6/128 gb variant). For the same money, you get current phones like the Redmi Note 8 Pro, Realme XT, Samsung M30S, Mi A3 etc, I agree all of them are good phones but they still are mid rangers at the end of the day. Maybe they will receive security updates for a year more than compared to flagships from last year, but I somehow feel a generation old flagship is more usable than a current midranger.
Depends on the person buying - if AMOLED Screen is a preference then you wont get that on the Poco F1 - that's the area where M30S has an advantage.

Also on the Camera front things have moved ahead. The 64 MP Camera on the Note 8 Pro will mostly be superior to what was present on the Poco F1 for sure - that is already 2 generations of camera advancement.

And Mi has already released phones with 108 MP in other markets. While Megapixel count is not everything, when you have a system with 2 or 3 cameras and then it goes 4 or 5 cameras - the versatility of the camera system increases a lot and provides lot more possibilities.

The base chipset of SD 845 will be more powerful than the Helios G90T or Exynos 9611 like you called out but not by a huge margin. I did not find a direct compare of SD 845 with Samsung 9611 (M30S) but here is the comparo between SD 845 and 9610: URL

Note: Found it on another site: URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 14th November 2019 at 10:54. Reason: Updated with 845 vs 9611
Old 14th November 2019, 10:44   #29325
BHPian

The coolest attempt of using foldable display technology by the grandfather of mobile industry:-

Most Viewed