Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 11:01   #29671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
I'm getting a good exchange offer on my 5T and have an Amazon voucher expiring in 5 days. Getting it effectively at 21.5k. Highly doubt I could get the 8 at such a low price. The 8 is also expected to come with a curved screen which I just don't like. The performance and the cameras of the 7T are more than adequate for me. The 5G capabilities are also not going to be useful for atleast the next 3 years. Don't see any major features coming in the 8 worth the extra price and wait.
Just a thought, since I went through this phase a month back when looking for a change from my 2 year old 5T. My logical choice was the Oneplus 7T, but given the increments in smartphones these days I felt it would be too similar to the 5T and it would probably feel like the same phone in a week.

This is when I heard about the Samsung Lite series launching and since I've always been a fan of the S-Pen, went ahead with the Note 10 Lite. I am loving the experience so far and am quite impressed with One UI 2.0. This is coming from someone who hated TouchWiz and with my phone history being the Nexus line and OnePlus.

Is this not a factor in your buying decisions - that the new phone might be too similar to the one you have ?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 16th March 2020 at 11:04.
Old 16th March 2020, 11:06   #29672
BHPian

IMO, stay away from buying premium phones from Samsung in India, due to their inferior chips (compared to Qualcomm's), and no respite in pricing.
This coming from someone who bought a S10 :-(
smartindboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 11:15   #29673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

This is when I heard about the Samsung Lite series launching and since I've always been a fan of the S-Pen, went ahead with the Note 10 Lite. I am loving the experience so far and am quite impressed with One UI 2.0. This is coming from someone who hated TouchWiz and with my phone history being the Nexus line and OnePlus.

Is this not a factor in your buying decisions - that the new phone might be too similar to the one you have ?
I have never been a fan of OneUI. It doesn't feel as fluid as OxygenOS and it looks kind of cartoonish (no offence meant to Samsung Users). I'm very comfortable with OxygenOS and I would appreciate the familiarity. Plus OnePlus receives software updates earlier and for longer than Samsung. I plan on keeping the phone for 2-3 years and I don't think Samsung phones hold up as well as OnePlus in the long term.
Old 16th March 2020, 11:54   #29674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
IMO, stay away from buying premium phones from Samsung in India, due to their inferior chips (compared to Qualcomm's), and no respite in pricing.
This coming from someone who bought a S10 :-(
Thats why I picked up the A71 for mom. Comes with the Qualcomm.
Old 16th March 2020, 12:54   #29675
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do not see the S20 on sale yet. Any dates? I was looking for it since the GST may go up.

As for the S9 agreed. It is standard practice to offer 'free' updates for two - three years. The vendors do not make money on software updates. Then we have to go to other places to get them, maybe another year or two.
GST increase to 18% has been announced. So might as well wait. I am sure most web prices will be affected. So purchase is deferred.
Old 16th March 2020, 13:04   #29676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Thanks Chetan_Rao. Have gone ahead and ordered a silver one. Will be getting it tomorrow.
Congratulations. I upgraded from a OnePlus 5T to Silver 8/128 OnePlus 7T in October 19 as well. Battery life is superb. I get minimum 1 day with moderate to heavy usage. Screen is always at 90 Hz. The OS will take some cycles to get used to your usage pattern before the battery life gets better.
Old 16th March 2020, 14:26   #29677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
GST increase to 18% has been announced. So might as well wait. I am sure most web prices will be affected. So purchase is deferred.
Sir, if you don't mind me asking this -

1. Since Samsung seems to be your go-to brand, what are you looking for in the S20 series that is otherwise not in the S10 series?

2. If it's not your go-to brand, have you tried One Plus yet?

Once again, I am not questioning your choice, but would like to know how decisions are made.

Last month, when I was close to picking up a Note 10 Plus, I realized that when I open 2 email clients in split view mode, I could see only 3 emails from each Inbox, and the scrolling and shuffling remained the same. It was then I realized that the kind of multitasking I was expecting from my mobile device, I needed a bigger screen instead of an expensive screen!

I always have reading mode ON on my cell phone, so it's always yellow/orange, so a quad-HD or a screen rated "as close to real" by Display Mate doesn't make sense for me.

That's when I dropped the Note 10 Plus. Yes, the S-pen is fabulous. And so is Samsung Pay.

Similarly, I dropped the iPhone XR because knowing that the display cannot play 1080p, the control center does not toggle Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on & off but makes you go into Settings menu each time, again same 3 rows of emails in multi-tasking in an even smaller screen, no native call recording, and no Jio to Jio VoLTE video calling to a One Plus 7T (something I use everyday to speak to my son from office) - did not warrant a price of INR 45,000

That it when I landed upon the Real Me X2 Pro. Top class hardware in a reasonable price. I spent 3 days looking into the nitty gritty of this phone and decided that the difference between this and the Note 10 Plus can be spent on an iPad that will take care of my multitasking needs, with an added benefit of editing my Go-Pro videos.

That is how I made my decision to buy the phone that I bought.

Would be great to know your point of view, Sir.

Thank you.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 16th March 2020 at 14:28.
Old 16th March 2020, 17:25   #29678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

1. Since Samsung seems to be your go-to brand, what are you looking for in the S20 series that is otherwise not in the S10 series?

Other than the evident hardware improvements, OS updates. As per Samsung policy, every phone will get only two major OS updates. S10 has already exhausted one of its available OS updates. S20 still has two more to go. That one OS update is important since it is the Samsung features that usually trickle down to later android versions.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th March 2020 at 17:28.
Old 17th March 2020, 13:28   #29679
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

2. If it's not your go-to brand, have you tried One Plus yet?

Once again, I am not questioning your choice, but would like to know how decisions are made.

Last month, when I was close to picking up a Note 10 Plus, I realized that when I open 2 email clients in split view mode, I could see only 3 emails from each Inbox, and the scrolling and shuffling remained the same. It was then I realized that the kind of multitasking I was expecting from my mobile device, I needed a bigger screen instead of an expensive screen!

I always have reading mode ON on my cell phone, so it's always yellow/orange, so a quad-HD or a screen rated "as close to real" by Display Mate doesn't make sense for me.

That's when I dropped the Note 10 Plus. Yes, the S-pen is fabulous. And so is Samsung Pay.
Yes, I love Samsung. I change my phone every two years or so. So I have an early S8 now. My wife, I. think, has an A8+.

Somehow I do not look at the Apple, even though I am working on on my Mac.

I did get another brand once. Far cheaper. I was unhappy so went back to Sammy again. Earlier in my CDMA days I was very fond of htc, but now with GSM and the decline of htc Samsung is my brand.

Also, S20 probably represents the change over where the Mobile overtakes the SLR. So the S20+ or ultra will be my next phone.

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th March 2020 at 13:31.
Old 19th March 2020, 13:59   #29680
BHPian

Going through this thread, there were quite a few posts on S10 lite queries. Thought of chipping in my experience after using it for past one month.

• Fast. Faster than even Note 10+ (my previous phone, now handed over to better half) due to Snapdragon 855.
• Big screen, watching movies is a good experience.
• Excellent battery, again better than Note 10+ and charges very quick. 8am to 6pm usage, 50% is still left with fairly good amount of screen on time.
• Well priced, though couple of thousand cheaper would have been even better.
• Edge screen, similar to Note series. You can store shortcuts there for single hand use. I use it handy for calculator, alarms, calendar, reminders and other shortcuts.
• Samsung One UI version 2 is very much improved than version 1. No lags.
• Decent enough storage for most people.
• Peace of mind regarding your data security unlike Chinese brands. I have faced a credit card fraud previously, didn't want another.
• And for people saying Samsung doesn't hold good for long, my 7 year old Note 2 is still alive.

Dislikes:
• Screen is Full HD. If you are downgrading from/ using any Note/ S series, you will definitely feel the difference. That QHD is on another level.
• Back looks like plastic but most people use with a case, so it shouldn't be a bother.
• Camera is good but can be better. Note 10+ has excellent camera comparatively, with lot more features.
• Gorilla glass is of previous generation as per reports, no idea how long it will hold good. I never use my phones with screen protector.
• No reverse powershare. I got into a habit of charging my S3 Frontier from Note 10+ in case of urgent requirement. It is missed now.
• Fingerprint unlock is laggy, I am not sure if it has anything to do with poor quality screen guard which Samsung has preinstalled. Face unlock works fine though.
• Charging cable is type C on both ends, if you want to connect with a PC/ laptop, you need to buy another cable.
• Regular headphone jack is missing, I use with bluetooth most of the times hence it doesn't bother me.

Overall it is a decent phone in it's price range.
ast.ggn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 17:57   #29681
BANNED

I have ordered my S20 Ultra today. Expected by Sunday/Monday. Let us see how it fares.

Also, any link to the Samsung software for porting!
Old 20th March 2020, 18:20   #29682
BHPian

I asked in the laptop thread but no response. What is the best Android app player /OS to install on a windows laptop. I have a touchscreen, so anything that converts my laptop to a superfast, supersmooth, Android tablet would be great. (pre rooted would be preferable to block those ubiquitous ads)
Old 20th March 2020, 18:43   #29683
BHPian

Anyone here using the Realme X2 Pro?

I have been reading quite a bit of the online reviews and the response is definitely above average from most of them. Main downers are linked to Color OS 6.1 and the camera being a hit or miss at times.

I am currently using a Galaxy S7 which has been great so far but the limited internal memory (4GB/32GB) is trying to show up in 2020 times. I will miss the compact size, wireless charging and IP6x rating of the S7 but the specs of the X2 Pro (Snapdragon 855+ and 50W charging) are hard to give a miss.

Flipkart is running some sale now and X2 Pro is available with some good exchange deals.

Looking out for some feedback from bhpians who have used this phone before taking the plunge.

Cheers
Old 20th March 2020, 20:44   #29684
Senior - BHPian

For the people in the know, any upper/mid range phone that comes with a full screen without any of the notches/camera cutouts or any other cuts. Cant stand them.

I am aware of the OP 7T pro and all those game centric phones from Asus/Nubia/Xiaomi ( They are huge to lug around).

Other than those is there anything else available without a cut out.( no Xiaomi).

I have a S9+ and cracked my glass. The phone is in pristine condition otherwise. Samsung wants a huge sum almost equivalent to the resale value of the phone to replace both the screen and glass. Third party vendors give me a 50/50 success rate of a glass replacement without damaging the screen.
Old 20th March 2020, 20:51   #29685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
For the people in the know, any upper/mid range phone that comes with a full screen without any of the notches/camera cutouts or any other cuts. Cant stand them.
You can take a look at Pixel 3a, it still has the old screen layout. It might feel slightly dated if you're looking for latest specs. I got one 4 months and am happy so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks