Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 07:32   #29881
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need a help guys.

I reinstalled WhatsApp on a new phone, I restored the messages, but the chats don't show up.

What needs to be done?
Old 17th July 2020, 08:00   #29882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Need a help guys.

I reinstalled WhatsApp on a new phone, I restored the messages, but the chats don't show up.

What needs to be done?
Try uninstalling WhatsApp, delete the WhatsApp folder and re-installing it.
Another option is goto WhatsApp>Databases folder in your old phone, copy msgstore.db.crypt file and paste it in same directory in new phone.
Justin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 08:09   #29883
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Try uninstalling WhatsApp, delete the WhatsApp folder and re-installing it.
I did, but to no avail.

My old phone screen doesn't work any more, can not do much there .

Shows it has 780 MB but when I try to reinstall or back up, it doesn't happen.

Any work around please?
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20200717082917_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 17th July 2020 at 08:33.
Old 17th July 2020, 09:21   #29884
BHPian

Check the database folder and look at the size of .db file, and check WhatsApp settings when the last backup was done, this is to ensure that you haven't overwritten your previous backup. Also are you sure that the backup was successful in the previous phone? Because often you see, backup gets stuck at 99% and if that's the case, chats will not be backed up. In your screenshot, it shows that only 177 messages are present in the backup file, so I guess your new phone have overwritten the previous backup.
Justin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 10:39   #29885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WhatsApp's backup/restore process is very unreliable, especially with backups that run into 100s of MB. Don't depend on it. I have lost many year's worth of conversations - twice - when I switched phones because it wouldn't restore from a backup. Maddening.

Problems are:

1. The backup process behaves unpredictably when messages arrive while you are actually backing up. So best is to backup on phone while the phone is in flight mode.

2. But flight mode means that your cloud backup won't work. So cloud backup (intended as their phone transfer technique) is unreliable. You should always plan on shifting manually the message store and media files.

3. On the new phone, if you receive messages before the backup restoration is completed, chances are that the restoration will fail. So restoration should also be done while the phone is in flight mode. Cloud restoration also is then ruled out.

4. But the backup is encrypted and will restore only if the same account is logged in (ie, mobile verified via OTP). This means that the new phone needs a few minutes of network access for this process.

5. Putting 3 & 4 together, what I've learned is that I should activate the new phone in the dead of the night when my chance of receiving a message is the lowest. I activate the new WhatsApp and immediately put the phone in flight mode. Then restore the backup that I manually copied over using my laptop (Windows XCOPY command, not via cloud).

TL;DR - Keep backup size low. Don't use cloud backup. Copy phone backup manually to new phone. Backup and restore while in flight mode.

Now I take text dumps (Export Chat option inside the conversation) of important conversations.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 11:22   #29886
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did, but to no avail.

My old phone screen doesn't work any more, can not do much there .

Shows it has 780 MB but when I try to reinstall or back up, it doesn't happen.

Any work around please?
There are 2 methods both of which have worked for me at different points of time-

1. Google backup-

There are instances wherein the google backup does not work. Most of the times, it does not work due to the Whatsapp backup file getting corrupt due to improper backup. I was able to get past this by deleting the old Whatsapp backup from my google drive and then backing up Whatsapp again to google drive. Once the fresh backup is done, it was possible to restore the Whatsapp backup to my new device.

2. Manual backup-

Copy the entire Whatsapp folder from your old device to the new one.

Install Whatsapp from the Whatsapp site(not from Google Playstore).

Install the app and decline when prompted to restore via google drive.

The app should read the local backup on the device and your chats and other media should be restored.

Last edited by AYP : 17th July 2020 at 11:23.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 22:38   #29887
BHPian

In March before the lockdown and the increase in GST, I ordered a Xiaomi k20 from Flipkart with replacement, below is the price breakup:
Price: Rs.20000
Exchange: Rs.4150(including Rs.2000 extraon exchange)
Net: Rs.15,949

No brick and mortar store was able to match the price.

Had evaluated the POCO and realme equivalent forgot the model No. but the POCO did not had amoled display, the frame was polycarbonate and realme carried a Rs.2000 premium over the net price I paid.

I exchanged a 2 year old Mi 5A which at the time I had purchased for Rs.3000(with exchange) and it was retailing at Rs.5000. The phone had discoloured back, paint was chipped from one corner and battery was on it's last leg. When the pickup guy sent some photos of chipped paint to his superior, he clearly rejected it but I explained to him that it was no dent and only chipped paint and my pickup was successful.

Now coming to the K20 the phone's build quality is really good, the phone has no lag whatsoever and it picks up network where our Samsung fails. I like the no notch display as the selfie cam is rarely used but I test it sometimes and it's always amusing .
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 17:09   #29888
Senior - BHPian

Hello Bhpians,
I had bought Lenovo K6 Power in May 2017. For past 1-1.5 month, the Battery (Back Panel) is getting heated if I charge the phone alongwith the flip cover (not simple back cover). So I am charging the phone after removing the flip cover. When I showed it to a repair shop on 09-07-2020, he opened the phone (not before me) and told the battery has got bulge and needs replacement.

He told the price of battery to be around 700-800/-. The battery won't be original but a "99".
Due to Lockdown, he was not able to source new battery so he sent me to Lenovo-Motorola Service Centre 4 shops away from his to check whether the battery was available with them. The Service Center did not have battery in stock but told me to place order by paying advance of Rs. 500/- against the Price of Rs. 1850/- and it would require 4-5 days to source new battery.

Both the places (the repair shop and Service Centre) told there won't be any warranty for the new battery.

What should I do in this case? Please advise.

The Statistics from Accubattery App is as below if that helps-
Charging Screen-
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-longscreenshot_20200719165644.png

Discharging Screen-
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-longscreenshot_20200719165704.png
Here it is showing Screen-On Time of 6hrs 48mins. So does it mean the battery backup is good and the back panel is heating only due to charging as well as playing Videos of Youtube/Facebook.

Health Screen-
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-longscreenshot_20200719165726.png
Here it is showing Battery Health as 72%. What is the number that should be considered as Time to replace Battery?
Old 19th July 2020, 17:37   #29889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Hello Bhpians,
I had bought Lenovo K6 Power
Here it is showing Battery Health as 72%. What is the number that should
So, my Moto G4 battery bulged and settled to normal on its own after few months. It used to work fine except for fast discharge issue. The Moto service said they would give me 6 months warranty but the cost was high. I installed a duplicate one and it works fine, but not as fine as the original one. When it comes to Android phones, I have come to conclusion to buy under 15k and then exchange it after 3 years. You can place the phone in rice filled bag to get rid of moisture from the battery. Back up the data and exchange it. And don't buy a Moto Lenovo phone, I had Moto G3, G4 plus, G5S plus and E4 plus in the family and the battery issue is sudden in its uneventful long run.

My advice: wait for the battery to flatten by drying it up and then exchange it. It's not worth the headache.
Old 20th July 2020, 19:13   #29890
BHPian

Am looking for a phone, below 25K. I am not a gamer and do casual photography. I had shortlisted the K20pro, but since it is an year old phone is it still a good buy? Also, with Nord being launched tomorrow, and I not being in the Pre-book queue, not sure when I can get my hands on it. Am open to suggestions, I can stretch the budget a bit.
Old 20th July 2020, 21:58   #29891
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Am looking for a phone, below 25K. I am not a gamer and do casual photography. I had shortlisted the K20pro, but since it is an year old phone is it still a good buy? Also, with Nord being launched tomorrow, and I not being in the Pre-book queue, not sure when I can get my hands on it. Am open to suggestions, I can stretch the budget a bit.
Since you are willing to stretch a bit how about getting yourself the Realme X3 or the X3 Superzoom.

Both are latest models and come with SD 855+ and better camera setup than the K20 Pro. You also get a 120HZ screen though it is an LCD panel.

If you don't want to go for an LCD panel, check out the Realme X2 Pro.

K20 Pro is not a bad option at all, but the above stated phones are better alternatives.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 03:50   #29892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I had shortlisted the K20pro, but since it is an year old phone is it still a good buy?
Yes it is but I would wait a bit for Xiaomi to drop the price on the K20 Pro. It is only a matter of time they do. Its not a phone that is flying off the shelves for them either.

I would not bother with a Nord. It is a significant step down from the K20 Pro when it comes to overall performance. The Snapdragon 765 isn't in the league of the now dated 855.

The flaw with Xiaomi is that their camera software isn't the best. No matter what I do, I simply can't get the camera to not interfere with the photo. It tends to over saturate things ever so slightly and with faces, you can easily see cover ups being done with imperfect skin. I have not tried an off the shelf camera app top see if it helps. I am sure it will. I use their previous flagship device, the Mi 9 (Not sold in India)

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd July 2020 at 17:59. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:19   #29893
BHPian

My Nokia 8 is nearing 3 years old and overcharging and practices led to a mobile which has battery life of 4 hours and restarts when the battery reaches 58% every time i open an app.

The mobile has just enough performance for my gaming needs (Real Racing 3 for an hour or so a day) and I do not want to spend a lot of money on a replacement and also have a stigma on any going on anything SD845 and lower. (I know its lame).

I tried purchasing the original replacement battery HE328, Total replacement would cost less than 2K (Of course if the service technician does not break the the screen in the process) and i think i could use the mobile for another year at least. but Amazon refuses to deliver that. There seems to be a tonne of fakes (The ones without Nokia Branding). Even the service centres are not getting replacement batteries these days.

Would anyone in the forum know any reliable source of original batteries or any shops who do have original stocks available who is willing to courier them. If anyone can help, i could transfer the costs of purchase and courier to them.
Old 21st July 2020, 12:59   #29894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Mthem.
Hi
Online same battery delivery Link :
https://realkart.in/productdetails/MTQ1Mw==
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 15:34   #29895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi
Online same battery delivery Link :
https://realkart.in/productdetails/MTQ1Mw==
Thanks for the link. I was not sure about the website. Quite a mixed bag of reviews. Finally took a leap of faith and booked one with COD.

Forgive me for giving OT. Was not sure if i should post this in the online shopping thread. Mods please do move it if found appropriate. I was not able to find a review of Realkart in that thread as well.

My hopes are not very high now as well. Check the below screenshots. The mail from them has one order number. The website has different order number. Typo errors too.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20200721152459.png

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-website-screenshot.jpg

Fingers crossed. Will keep all posted on the developments in this order though. Could be the very first review of this website.
rohitoasis is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed