Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 20:21   #30226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any thoughts from folks here on the Mi 10i 5G Launched today? Link

Looking for an upgrade for my wife's 2+ year old Poco F2, the 108 MP Camera seems like a big draw.
Old 6th January 2021, 22:36   #30227
BANNED

Hi,

I came from iPhone. For last one year I am using Oneplus.

Is it possible to take complete phone backup to PC in android like that you get with iOS, such that, when we reset our phone we can restore the backup completely? I searched around a lot. All that I can find is taking backups separately, like photos to google photos, or SMS with some other apps. Is there a all in one solution like in iOS?

There is One Plus switch app, but backup size is only 21gb where as my total data size 71gb, So is that why it fails to backup everything?

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2021 at 22:47. Reason: formatted
Old 6th January 2021, 22:43   #30228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Hi, i came from iPhone, for last one year i am using oneplus 7 , is
it possible to take complete phone backup to PC in android like
that you get with Ios?.
You can connect your phone to a PC and select data sharing mode. In this mode you will be able to browse and copy all your personal files like Images, Videos and Mp3 and you can copy them accordingly to your PC.
There is a Oneplus cloud subscription also available (50gb is free, and if you want higher you can pay extra). You can use that too if required.
Old 6th January 2021, 22:56   #30229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can connect your phone to a PC and select data sharing mode. In this mode you will be able to browse and copy all your personal files like Images, Videos and Mp3 and you can copy them accordingly to your PC.
There is a Oneplus cloud subscription also available (50gb is free, and if you want higher you can pay extra). You can use that too if required.
Yes one can copy files to PC but how to restore it such that everything is restored including installed app, like that you get with "System Restore" in MS Windows. Paid app is ok with me.
Old 6th January 2021, 23:06   #30230
BHPian

Quote:
Yes one can copy files to PC but how to restore it such that everything is restored including installed app, like that you get with "System Restore" in MS Windows. Paid app is ok with me.
AFAIK, you can't take a backup on your PC, but all the apps you installed are linked to your Google account. Once you login with the same Google account on another phone, the apps are automatically downloaded on that phone. This works for anything linked to Google (for e.g Photos/Notes).

You could use Titanium Backup, but for that your phone needs to be rooted. That would be too much of a hassle.
superguy282 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 09:09   #30231
BANNED

Quote:
Enabling app /app data sync from both old and new phones? It is in Google account settings.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 7th January 2021 at 09:18.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:11   #30232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to take complete phone backup to PC in android like that you get with iOS, such that, when we reset our phone we can restore the backup completely? I searched around a lot. All that I can find is taking backups separately, like photos to google photos, or SMS with some other apps. Is there a all in one solution like in iOS?
Android has provided a lot of flexibility to app developers and users in the matter of backup/restore. Here is how you need to approach it. Note that everything requires you to connect the device to a Google account (when restoring, to the same account where the backup went, of course).

The core idea is that the app tells the system what all can be backed up, and the system backs it all up. Since most system features are apps too, this works across the board. You configure it in Settings > System > Backup > Backup to Google Drive. This allows app-specific settings and customisations to be backed up but gives developers a lot of control over it (eg: an app developer can tell Android not to backup some device-specific data but can backup everything else - like my podcast app uses this to not backup my listening history).

The above works for all data "internal" to some application. But there are stuff that aren't. For example, a photo that you take, an SMS that you receive, a document that you write - these are not tied to the apps that were used to create them (plus there will never be a one-size-fits-all set of rules for backing these up; each user has their own priority and requirements here). For these, you will have to use a separate backup system, customised to your own requirements. In my case:

* Photos - Google Photos app backs them up. I also connect to my PC or OneDrive and back up important ones.
* Chats - WhatsApp for example has its own backup/restore system.
* Documents - I use Google Docs/Sheets so cloud storage is assumed. Earlier I had MobiSystems OfficeSuite which has its own cloud setup.
* SMS - Microsoft SMS Organiser also has Drive backup system.
* Call logs - Google Dialler does that.
* Downloads - PC/OneDrive.
* Audio/Ebooks etc. - manage on PC, sync to Mobile.

Just like everything else in Android world, the device doesn't try to second guess the user.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:33   #30233
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

* Photos - Google Photos app backs them up. I also connect to my PC or OneDrive and back up important ones.
* Chats - WhatsApp for example has its own backup/restore system.
* Documents - I use Google Docs/Sheets so cloud storage is assumed. Earlier I had MobiSystems OfficeSuite which has its own cloud setup.
* SMS - Microsoft SMS Organiser also has Drive backup system.
* Call logs - Google Dialler does that.
* Downloads - PC/OneDrive.
* Audio/Ebooks etc. - manage on PC, sync to Mobile.

Just like everything else in Android world, the device doesn't try to second guess the user.
This wont work for me as a person who uses many work related apps, because one has to baby sit if these app are backing up properly, for example i am using Ms sms organizer and it stopped backing up due to some glitch and i realized that only recently, i would have lost important sms, and then about google photos as far as i know it wont maintain album structure ones you change/reset phone. It will only maintain manually added album structure.
Old 7th January 2021, 23:55   #30234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This wont work for me...
Then perhaps you are better off sticking to what works best for you, instead of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. I don't think the kind of backup UX you expect is available in Android.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 00:33   #30235
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Then perhaps you are better off sticking to what works best for you, instead of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. I don't think the kind of backup UX you expect is available in Android.
Thanks for clearing it up, i couldn't get a clear answer from searching so asked here.
Old 9th January 2021, 19:50   #30236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Please do share an update once you have a response from service center. The issue resurfaced again today morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Had the exact same issue on my S9+ which was just out of warranty. Got the display replaced 3 months back along with a new battery (on my request), total cost 19k.
Guys got my S9+ screen replaced free of cost from Samsung. It did take around 26 days in total for the approval, part arrival etc. There was some drama in between from the service person too. He called me 10 days back & tells the screen is ready but one of the mic isn't working & I have to pay for the same. I clearly said till Dec 10 2020 the phone was being used without any mic problem so I will not pay for the same & asked him to check my call records if needed or his CCTV footage as I had removed the sim at their premises. So they had to replace one of the mic too free of cost.

Yet to start using the phone again as am happy with my old S7's form factor Should switch to big screen tomorrow and finally learnt the importance of Extended warranty.
smrtdvl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 08:57   #30237
Senior - BHPian

How is the repair quality and from where did you get it replaced. Does the phone retain its IP68 water resistant rating even after such a repair.

I have a few scratches on my S9+ and have been thinking about getting the screen replaced, however I doubt that the repair will be good enough.

Do share your experience
Old 17th January 2021, 01:23   #30238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

Do share your experience
Sorry for the delayed reply. I got it replaced at Samsung ASC free of cost even though the phone was out of warranty else it's 17150 for the screen. Haven't tried checking IP68 myself but the ASC confirmed that they tested for the same.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 09:36   #30239
Senior - BHPian

My Nokia 7.1 battery is dead (exactly after 2 years) and I have replaced it, but the new one is heating too much and too fast. I think, it's time to change it.

I have shortlisted Samsung S10E or Samsung S10 or One plus Nord. The Amazon Republic Day sale is starting from 19th Jan and I want to use the discounts available during this season.

(Not interested in buying Chinese phones)

Any one using Samsung S10E or S10 or One plus Nord, if yes please give your opinions?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th January 2021 at 12:36. Reason: edited: Amazon Independence day to Amazon Republic Day
Old 17th January 2021, 09:46   #30240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
My Nokia 7.1 battery is dead (exactly after 2 years) and I have replaced it, but the new one is heating too much and too fast. I think, it's time to change it.

I have shortlisted Samsung S10E or Samsung S10 or One plus Nord. The Amazon Independence day sale is starting from 19th Jan and I want to use the discounts available during this season.

(Not interested in buying Chinese phones)

Any one using Samsung S10E or S10 or One plus Nord, if yes please give your opinions?
You can also check out LG G8X. Even if you don't need the dual screen, it's still SD855 for 28k. You can also check out OLX, where you will easily find like new G8X for even cheaper as a lot many were bought by scalpers during last sales but they caused a glut in the market and tanked the price.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks