Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:11   #30391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Samsung One UI 3.1. Coming from a Pixel with stock android how irritating is the Samsung bloatware and redundant apps vs the google version.

I love the clean Pixel OS and am deeply integrated into all Google apps like Onedrive, google dialer with google directory integration, google photos, google news feed, tasks (keep) and use google assistant. Really not sure if Samsung OS will be tolerable for me.
I think this is a common misconception arising from poor, bloated Samsung OS experiences before One UI. I have been a fan of Samsung one UI and find it the most intuitive and thoughtful UI/UX in android world even better than the stock android experience.

I have One UI 3.1 in my Galaxy S20 and the experience has been excellent. Samsung will allow you to use google ecosystem seamlessly. Most bloat ware can be uninstalled.
poloman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:50   #30392
BHPian

Quote:
.. I love the clean Pixel OS and am deeply integrated into all Google apps like Onedrive, google dialer with google directory integration, google photos, google news feed, tasks (keep) and use google assistant. Really not sure if Samsung OS will be tolerable for me.

The only other option is to abandon Android and jump to iOS.
Samsung is shutting down syncing of some apps with Samsung cloud and due to it's partnership with Microsoft, suggesting all to move from Samsung cloud to One Drive.

Also they have recently gave an option of Google Discover vs Samsung Daily which was not there earlier. The OS is fluid. Even Samsung gave Google Messages app as an option with S21 Series.

Also, attaching the different 5G bands available on S20 FE 5G and S21 Series mobiles.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20210131143455_samsung-cloud.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20210331_171545.jpg  

Last edited by vvrchandra : 2nd April 2021 at 20:56.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:59   #30393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I love the clean Pixel OS and am deeply integrated into all Google apps like Onedrive, google dialer with google directory integration, google photos, google news feed, tasks (keep) and use google assistant. Really not sure if Samsung OS will be tolerable for me...
Samsung isn't the Samsung of old anymore. One UI is significantly more polished and crap-light (if I may call it that) compared to their previous UI iterations. Demo one and judge for yourself.

They've even stepped up their update game (notorious laggards in the past). The latest flagships got the April security patch before the Pixels!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 21:57   #30394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Samsung isn't the Samsung of old anymore. One UI is significantly more polished and crap-light (if I may call it that) compared to their previous UI iterations. Demo one and judge for yourself.

They've even stepped up their update game (notorious laggards in the past). The latest flagships got the April security patch before the Pixels!
This sounds very encouraging indeed. I'll check out the latest samsung device at the store . I am on the lookout for a new android phone but I had ruled out Samsung. Thanks for the information
Old 2nd April 2021, 22:53   #30395
S15
BANNED

Anyone in this forum using a motorola or a micromax android phone with stock android?
I have a question.
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:00   #30396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I think this is a common misconception arising from poor, bloated Samsung OS experiences before One UI. I have been a fan of Samsung one UI and find it the most intuitive and thoughtful UI/UX in android world even better than the stock android experience.

I have One UI 3.1 in my Galaxy S20 and the experience has been excellent. Samsung will allow you to use google ecosystem seamlessly. Most bloat ware can be uninstalled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Samsung is shutting down syncing of some apps with Samsung cloud and due to it's partnership with Microsoft, suggesting all to move from Samsung cloud to One Drive.

Also they have recently gave an option of Google Discover vs Samsung Daily which was not there earlier. The OS is fluid. Even Samsung gave Google Messages app as an option with S21 Series.

Also, attaching the different 5G bands available on S20 FE 5G and S21 Series mobiles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

This is looking very promising.

So my choice right now is between Oneplus 8 Pro and Samsung S20 FE 5G.

I am now leaning towards the Samsung after you guys feedback.
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:21   #30397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So my choice right now is between Oneplus 8 Pro and Samsung S20 FE 5G.

I am now leaning towards the Samsung after you guys feedback.
If it helps further, OxygenOS (OnePlus' much vaunted Android skin) is apparently taking visual cues from One UI for Android 11, so they might end up looking similar in the future.

Both very good skins with great add-on functionality without being bloated, and both good devices too. Try both and pick what works for you.
Old 4th April 2021, 07:11   #30398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The only option was the OnePlus 9 Pro at 61K (SBI offer). Oneplus gives everything but 60K for a Oneplus android phone which will be updated in 6months is not very convincing.
What will you do with the 10K saved by not buying the OnePlus Pro? It won't even fill full tank of 100 octane in a BMW. See, if it's a good phone, go for it and don't count your pennies. YOLO.

Quote:
More over reviews seem to indicate the HAsselblad branding is more for show than go.
Why are you falling for the HasselBlunder branding? Imagine that HasselBlunder is not there and then see if the camera is good enough for you?

Quote:
..Now I just saw the news on Samsung S20 FE 5G which on paper checks all my boxes barring one. The Samsung One UI 3.1. Coming from a Pixel with stock android how irritating is the Samsung bloatware and redundant apps vs the google version.
Samsung OK, then buy the Double Fold Galaxy at the minimum.

Quote:
Yes, that's a good option and you will make new buddies. Just like a buying a BMW would
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 09:33   #30399
BHPian

Looking for an all-rounder<25k

Hello everyone

I am looking to upgrade from my Samsung M30s (keeping it as a backup) to a new model which is below 25k. Here are my requirements:

+ Good AMOLED Screen (have been spoilt with one my M30s)
+ Uncluttered UI with no Ads
+ Good battery life (with heavy usage, should have at least 30% available at EOD)
+ Reasonably clear and loud speakers
+ Good video recording in indoor lighting (using it as a secondary portable device for youtube videos after my DSLR), also should have good audio recording (less wind noise should be captured, reasonably high bitrate etc.)

Based on the research, here are the contenders:

1. OnePlus Nord (6/128GB) - 25k

Pros:
- Reasonably compact 6.4" screen
- Oxygen OS (never used, but everyone says it good)
- Reasonably good battery life and 30w charger
- OIS on main camera for video works well

Cons:
- Average single speaker
- Cannot find it in stock on amazon or oneplus website
- Actual video quality is ok-good, not great at 4k, (good at 1080p)

2. Samsung M51 (6/128) - 23k

Pros:
- OneUI (I use it and like it)
- 7000Mah battery gives excellent battery life
- Good 6.7" AMOLED
- Good 4k30fps video recording

Cons:
- Average single speaker
- Heavy and large size

3. Mi 10i (6/128) - 22k

Pros:
- AMOLED Screen
- Decent battery life with 33w fast charger

Cons:
- Average video recording
- MIUI is bloated and has ads

4. Motorola MotoG 5G (6/128) - 21k

Pros:
- Stock Android
- Excellent battery life
- Good 4k30fps video
- EIS for video

Cons:
- Average single speaker
- Only an IPS LCD Panel
- Slow Charger
Old 4th April 2021, 09:48   #30400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've been using a Pixel 2 XL for more than 3 years now.
It will be a struggle to find a right upgrade for the Pixel 2 XL – I have gone through the drill. Back then, I tried the Samsung Galaxy S10 briefly only to move that as a work phone and bring back the Pixel as the primary phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
Now I just saw the news on Samsung S20 FE 5G which on paper checks all my boxes barring one. The Samsung One UI 3.1. Coming from a Pixel with stock android how irritating is the Samsung bloatware and redundant apps vs the google version.
I used the S20 plus as my work phone for the past few months (until last week). It was actually a good phone and the Samsung UI is now much better than the earlier iterations. The camera is extremely competitive, but coming from a Pixel you will find it way too glossy (unless you like a bit of make-up and brush-up). So I traded in the S20 plus for an iPhone 12 for my daughter, and her XR is now my work phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
This is what I did when I finally moved out of the Pixel universe. Moved back into iOS (the last iPhone was iPhone 7) with an iPhone 11 Pro. And thus I found a worthy successor for the Google device.

Would have stayed with Pixel but SingTel, my telco provider was not carrying latest versions of Pixel as an option. And secondly, the resale value for Google phones are almost like giving away the phone for free (just for comparison, My daughter’s old iPhone XR have a trade-in value of SGD 350, and the trade-in for Pixel 2 XL is SGD 10!).

So to conclude – (though this is an Android thread), your best bet as a Pixel replacement will be an iPhone 12/12 Pro
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 10:03   #30401
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot guys. The Oneplus is 10K more but you know it will get obsolete when they come out with 9T in October and abandon the buyers of the 9.

I did do some youtubing on OneUI 3.0/3.1 and it does look better than before but the biggest growse of having unnecessary apps which are basically Samsung version of google apps is still there.

The Samsung phones still have Samsung app store, Samsung browser, Samsung gallery, Samsung pay app, Samsung Bixby assistant, Samsung file explorer etc......And I don't think these can be uninstalled as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
So to conclude – (though this is an Android thread), your best bet as a Pixel replacement will be an iPhone 12/12 Pro
I guess this is the harsh reality for Pixel users. I was merely trying to delay the inevitable but in the end looks like an upgrade from Pixel will only be iPhone.

By looking at Samsung and Oneplus, the only thing I am doing is delaying moving to iOS by a few months.

My hope was to wait and see if Google goes back to roots with Pixel 6 and can I use something better than my 2XL till then.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 11:51   #30402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Samsung phones still have Samsung app store, Samsung browser, Samsung gallery, Samsung pay app, Samsung Bixby assistant, Samsung file explorer etc......And I don't think these can be uninstalled as well.
Why is that an issue? You can put all of them in one folder and forget. Any app can be made to function as default so there is no reason to revisit them.

Motorola has stock android and it's fantastic.

Quote:
I guess this is the harsh reality for Pixel users. I was merely trying to delay the inevitable but in the end looks like an upgrade from Pixel will only be iPhone.
Not really. It's not even the same platform But if you are okay with the closed suffocating functioning of the platform, no reason not to jump ship.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th April 2021 at 12:05. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 12:57   #30403
BHPian

Quote:
.. The Samsung phones still have Samsung app store, Samsung browser, Samsung gallery, Samsung pay app, Samsung Bixby assistant, Samsung file explorer etc......And I don't think these can be uninstalled as well..
If you use Samsung Pay, you will not go to Google Pay. Only limited cards can be added to Google Pay while almost any card can be used to Samsung Pay.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 13:25   #30404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

By looking at Samsung and Oneplus, the only thing I am doing is delaying moving to iOS by a few months.

My hope was to wait and see if Google goes back to roots with Pixel 6 and can I use something better than my 2XL till then.
I like iPhone 12 specially the HW finesse and slow ageing of apple phones. Had almost made my mind to buy it. Again the horror of becoming a slave to a single ecosystem, changed my mind. Just to transfer a file or photo, you have to run around.

Not sure how iPhone is a progression or upgrade to some one coming from a pixel world where everything is user centered. You can do what you want. No barriers or ecosystems.

All the Samsung apps can either be uninstalled or disabled. So that way I don't see any problem. The major problem with Samsung phones is the way they age. iPhone 7 is even selling now, does any one remember how Galaxy S7 even look? With in one year they kind of become obsolete and there is a steep depreciation in value.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 13:57   #30405
BHPian

Folks. I am in need of a tab for my father (75+ years old). His eye sight and hearing is not as great as it used to be. But he has a reasonably good experience using mi note phone.

Which tablet is a good one for him? Any thoughts please?

Most Viewed