Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 12:29   #30556
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
We have a traditionally volatile Airtel cellular network in our residential area, and I must say WiFi calling has made our lives much easier. Calls connect faster and are far more stable while in conversation.
Quoting on the same topic, while WIFI calling works great, it fails to call record that default android provides.

Any idea how to make both work?
Old 7th June 2021, 13:26   #30557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRepeat View Post
Check if you have the Wi-Fi calling option enabled. Samsung doesn't support call recording during Wi-Fi calls.
Indeed. That was the case. Once, I disabled WiFi-calling, the call recording started to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Even, am looking for the same. Best of both worlds!
Old 7th June 2021, 13:32   #30558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Quoting on the same topic, while WIFI calling works great, it fails to call record that default android provides.

You can download a third party call recorder from the PlayStore.

The call recording not working during Wi-Fi calls is a Samsung bug.
Old 8th June 2021, 01:43   #30559
BHPian

I am looking for a fast phone with OIS. The OIS bit is non negotiable since I want the camera performance to be really good. Looking for something in the 30-40k range. Can be extended for brands with better resale value ( OnePlus/Apple/Samsung?). 5g is nice to have since I intend to use this for at least 2-3 years.

I am upgrading from Mi A2 6/128 (SD660) and have no time to indulge in gaming. My wife uses a Poco F1(SD 845) so I am looking for something faster. I am okay with SD855 / SD780 level of performance but anything over SD870 is overkill. The ideal phone for my requirements would be a OnePlus 7T, but they don't sell it anymore .

So, I had initially shortlisted the following:
Iqoo 7
Mi 10T Pro
OnePlus 9R
Samsung S20 FE

But on digging further, I dropped OnePlus 9R from the list since it's camera performance was the worst in this group even though it is priced the highest.

Iqoo 7 Legend is trying to find a way into the shortlist since it is currently selling for just 35k (I.e. Less than Mi 10T Pro). Even though I don't need the additional horsepower, more speed and better efficiency of the SD888 cannot hurt. :P

I also found Vivo X60 Pro that fits my requirements but spending 50k on Vivo is something I cannot explain to myself when the rest of the list is sub 40k.

Notable exclusions:
S20 FE 5G - outside my budget. Do we need 5G?
OnePlus 9 - could have stretched but no OIS

One final quirky requirement:
In the Slot to keep the phone in my car (2019 Ford Figo) just below the Auto Aircon controls, my phone (Mi A2) does not fit in landscape orientation but my wife's does (Poco F1). It would be really nice if my new phone can fit in that slot. I realise that none of the above mentioned phones will fit in that slot and I am looking for something which can potentially fit this use case as well. And that is one of the reasons why I have come here for suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 8th June 2021, 03:36   #30560
BHPian

Looking for suggestions on the following phone deal that I'm thinking of getting for my wife (I think its a cracker of a deal but would like some thoughts if possible):

I'm in the UK currently and am able to get a Samsung S21 5G 128Gb for £350, brand new from Samsung directly. (approx 35k INR)

This includes a trade in of £200 for her 3 year old Poco F1 (I believe we bought that for the same price originally, 20k INR) + 20% off on a current promotion + another £100 cashback. I'm also getting a pair of Galaxy buds live for free along with the clear view cover for the phone.

I have the S10+ and very happy with it so far so I think she would be pretty comfortable with Samsung's OneUI. To be fair she isn't too fussed about her phone but I think its too good a deal to pass up, and I also really can't stand the bloatware on the Xiaomi/Poco phones.

I guess this is a no brainer deal as I recall the price of the S21 5G being around 75k in India? Anyone used the phone and have any thoughts on it?
Old 8th June 2021, 09:04   #30561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I am looking for a fast phone with OIS. The OIS bit is non negotiable since I want the camera performance to be really good. Looking for something in the 30-40k range. Can be extended for brands with better resale value ( OnePlus/Apple/Samsung?). 5g is nice to have since I intend to use this for at least 2-3 years.
If camera is your top priority, why don't you check out the Pixel 4a. It has easily the best camera in that price range. You get guaranteed software updates on release. The only downside is the processor (730G), but if you are not planning on gaming, it should be more than enough. It is also a pretty compact phone and should easily fit in your cars phone slot.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 09:31   #30562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I guess this is a no brainer deal as I recall the price of the S21 5G being around 75k in India?
Definitely a no-brainer and a great exchange price too.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 10:27   #30563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I'm in the UK currently and am able to get a Samsung S21 5G 128Gb for £350, brand new from Samsung directly. (approx 35k INR)
This is definitely a no brainer, but I'd urge you to spend a few extra bucks and go for the 256 GB variant. Since the S21 doesn't have expandable storage, 256 GB of storage would serve you very well if you're planning to use the phone for 2-3 years.
SgtRepeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 10:48   #30564
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a fast phone with OIS. Looking for something in the 30-40k range and have no time to indulge in gaming. I don't need the additional horsepower
I feel, Samsung A52 fits the bill as it has good camera with OIS, Stereo Speakers, IP67 Rating and 3.5mm jack. Only grouse is SD720 SOC BUT as you do NOT intend to play games, should NOT matter. For daily use, its a good device and its available for around 27K.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 11:07   #30565
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone using the Anker liberty air 2 pro with their android phones? Any feedback on the ANC and the earphones otherwise?

Can't seem to find it on Amazon for some reason. Only on Flipkart.
Old 8th June 2021, 11:59   #30566
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a fast phone with OIS.

So, I had initially shortlisted the following:
Iqoo 7
Mi 10T Pro
OnePlus 9R
Samsung S20 FE

Notable exclusions:
S20 FE 5G - outside my budget. Do we need 5G?

The S20 FE is not out of your budget. It regularly shows up with a Rs.6000 off coupon on Amazon and on the Samsung website.

Also, you get Rs.2000 off on your first purchase from the Samsung Shop mobile app, and the price goes down further by another 5% if you have a referral code.

If some credit card discount is also going on then the deal becomes even more sweeter. Also there seems to be a corporate website where you get pretty neat discounts.

Just go to the website and request for a sales call back, they will guide you with the full process.

If you are looking for something compact, wait for either the Pixel 5a or the Asus 8Z. The Samsung A52 also makes sense if you do not game at all.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 03:43   #30567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The OIS bit is non negotiable since I want the camera performance to be really good. Looking for something in the 30-40k range. Can be extended for brands with better resale value
I'm on the Android camp so this isn't just some random recommendation.

Pay more and get an iPhone 11. Except 5G, it has everything you need. Guaranteed to outperform and outlast every phone on your list on pretty much everything, resale included.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 06:44   #30568
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I Phone 11 4G or Mi11X Pro 5G both have good camera and video, and between 40 to 50 K. Can check out reviews before buying.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 06:58   #30569
Distinguished - BHPian

After the Xperia 1, I also acquired the 1ii imported model recently and the 1ii has been the phone on duty ever since.

It's almost like the 1, except with better lens (Zeiss), headphone jack, better battery life, newer processor and double the RAM and internal memory (12 gb ram, 256 gb).

Blazing fast, feels like a slab of granite in hand, best camera and video software. People have already offered me more than I paid for it but I've refused

Love that Sony no longer sells phones in South Asia, the exclusivity factor is off the charts, this is manufactured in Japan btw.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 07:16   #30570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
this is manufactured in Japan btw.
Thailand most likely. I would be really surprised if the phone is made in Japan!

EDIT: Congratulations on owning a beast of a device!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2021 at 07:19.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed