Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 14:39   #30856
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

After about three years, my Mi A1 battery is barely lasting 24 hours, and the phone is used lightly. Bottom line is I can leave it on charge while I sleep, and it should cover my waking hours for some time yet, maybe another year or so? Or do LiIon batteries go bad faster once they start loosing capacity?

Anyway, checking on youtube, I find that this phone case is actually held together by screws! Although it still takes a spudger to remove the back, it is not glued. The battery is double-sided-taped, but even that has a removal method.

Top marks to Mi! Especially as it is not an expensive phone. I guess it is better to replace while the model is still (hopefully) not forgotten. So, now to see if I can find the battery.

I probably won't do this myself. But...

Not doing much of of this kind of disassembly, I don't have a kit: I find that an old bank card with a corner sharpened on emery paper does the job.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 16:19   #30857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
After about three years, my Mi A1 battery is barely lasting 24 hours, and the phone is used lightly. Bottom line is I can leave it on charge while I sleep, and it should cover my waking hours for some time yet, maybe another year or so? Or do LiIon batteries go bad faster once they start loosing capacity?
I think Xiaomi does not leave any headroom and everything maxes out the capacity. Same with their other features - just about fulfil the minimum spec. I've a Mi5 and got the battery replaced almost two years ago. The OP5 that my wife has is still going strong, even though the battery capacity has reduced to 80 percent according to Accubattery - still lasts a whole day. Realized Xiaomi has to do this to keep prices low. You get what you pay for!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 17:58   #30858
BHPian

My father’s Samsung Galaxy S9+’s display has developed issues & it happened while plugging it into its original charger. Now Samsung Service Centre has given a quotation for ₹12k for it.

While I’m of the opinion that since it’s a top-specced model, better get the display replaced, my father wants to discard it & opt for a mid-ranger ~ ₹15k as after sometime, it would require a battery replacement, so, in the end the total outlay would still be around ₹15k.

So, can you all suggest which one is a better option to go for, also considering this model’s age is now 2 years?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st August 2021, 19:55   #30859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioYadav View Post
My father’s Samsung Galaxy S9+’s display has developed issues & it happened while plugging it into its original charger. Now Samsung Service Centre has given a quotation for ₹12k for it.

my father wants to discard it & opt for a mid-ranger ~ ₹15k
For 15k you'd get a Samsung M21. (or something similar)
Compared here :
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Exynos....247596.0.html

The S9+ is still 33% faster. Plus it's a flagship. I'm sure even Samsung would have removed many features from its non-flagship phones. If you go with other brands like Xiaomi, even their flagships don't have features of the Samsung flagship. Check out the USB port specifications - USB 3.1 vs USB 2.x

My suggestion would be keep the S9+ and replace the screen and battery at the same time. YMMV.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 23:28   #30860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
... Xiaomi has to do this to keep prices low. You get what you pay for!
I don't really mind that. The price was low.

I will mind, though, if I can't get a battery and have to throw the phone away. We'll see.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 23:37   #30861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioYadav View Post

While I’m of the opinion that since it’s a top-specced model, better get the display replaced, my father wants to discard it & opt for a mid-ranger ~ ₹15k as after sometime, it would require a battery replacement, so, in the end the total outlay would still be around ₹15k.

So, can you all suggest which one is a better option to go for, also considering this model’s age is now 2 years?

Thanks in advance.
Had screen flickering issue with my S9+. Got the display replaced at Samsung service center last year without a second thought as the phone was just out of warranty + flagship. Went ahead and asked them to change the battery while they were at it. Total bill 18k. Fast forward 1 year- phone works as good as new...touchwood

Last edited by xotiq : 21st August 2021 at 23:40.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:59   #30862
BHPian

Something strange that I noticed.

The Pixel 4a is listed on Flipkart for Rs 32k (It had gone down to Rs 27k around a month back)

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-flipkart.png

Whereas on Amazon, the Pixel 4a 5G is listed at a "discounted" price of Rs 44k, with an actual price of Rs 78k!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-amazon.png

Is the 5G version really so much more expensive?
Old 22nd August 2021, 14:12   #30863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Something strange that I noticed.

Is the 5G version really so much more expensive?
The pixel 4a is the only officially sold phone in India by Google. The other models (4a 5G, 5) are imported and then sold. They likely will not have any warranty by Google in India.
Old 22nd August 2021, 17:57   #30864

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Total bill 18k. Fast forward 1 year- phone works as good as new...touchwood
Samsung Galaxy S9(not S9+) was available for 25k in Flipkart a year ago.
S9 + was also available at less than 40k(I am not sure about the exact price)
It is totally worth changing the battery considering the fact that it is a flagship.
I am not sure if it is worth changing the screen in 2021 though.
The21st is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:34   #30865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't really mind that. The price was low.

I will mind, though, if I can't get a battery and have to throw the phone away. We'll see.
Mi A1 battery is very much available at the Mi service centers. Just call them up and confirm before you go

Insist on seeing the new battery and checking its manufacturing date before they install it on your phone. Usually the date will be printed somewhere on the battery. Do not install new batteries older than 1.5 years from the date of install
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:40   #30866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Some Youtubers who do phone reviews have started this scheme, where they take money from you and buy the phone, keep it with them for 10-12 days and review it in that time, and then deliver it back to you. In return they offer you a Rs 3000 discount (over and above any card offers).

I have ordered the Edge 20 like this with one of them. If you are interested then check community posts of Youtubers like Geek Abhishek, Harshit Technical or Madan Gaikwad. I personally feel if it suits both parties, it's a win-win situation.

Disclaimer: Buy at your own risk.
Not keen on getting a used phone although only a few days used. 30K is perfectly affordable for me, just that discounts and deals always trigger some hormones in me.

I pre-ordered the Edge 20 in emerald green today as the silver one was not available. I hate that color, so am in half a mind to cancel. Since it is a pre-order it is supposed to ship only on Sept 9, but going by my experience with the MI 11 lite pre-order, it might ship sooner. The MI shipped the very next day.

These sale events are just gimmicks urging you to pull the trigger when you are not sure whether you want to.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 13:02   #30867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
These sale events are just gimmicks urging you to pull the trigger when you are not sure whether you want to.
Haha! Can totally understand. Guess all of us are sailing in the same boat when it comes to these Sale periods. I am just avoiding opening Amazon and Flipkart these days, don't want to spend unnecessarily.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:15   #30868
BHPian

Well now one of the good alternatives in the android space is Realme GT and Moto Edge these are packed to the brim with specs and have a nice price to match. Further in case of iPhones maybe a good strategy to wait for a few days since the newer model is slated to launch in September and then one can decide which way to sway.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th August 2021 at 16:39. Reason: typo
Luke1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:41   #30869
Senior - BHPian

So something weird happened to my phone today. All outgoing and incoming calls got barred.

Checked call barring, forwarding, DnD settings...checked my sim in another phone and it works fine, Checked another sim in my phone and same issue.

Reset network settings, tried changing bands to gsm etc etc.

It's a Lg V40 on Android 10.

Loath to do a full factory reset but i guess i don't have any other choice.

Am i missing anything?
Old 24th August 2021, 17:48   #30870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So something weird happened to my phone today. All outgoing and incoming calls got barred.

Am i missing anything?
Try clearing the cache. Try re-installing the Phone app. Are you sure mobile data or aeroplane mode has not been toggled on/off inadvertently? Restart the phone.

Most Viewed