Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:52   #31006
One
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The restore media on WhatsApp is stuck at 100% for past 3+ days and doesn't seem to complete. Tried clearing the cache and rebooting the app but for NO avail. Is there anyway I can make this complete? I wouldn't like to reinstall as backup hasn't happened since restore is running.

Please advise!
Am almost certain that this should resolve your issue, just read the end of the question where the poster has mentioned the solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsapp/co..._stuck_at_100/
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:06   #31007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Unfortunately, OxygenOS is being replaced next year with the as-yet unnamed unified OS replacing both OxygenOS and ColorOS. They're promising to keep the best bits but they've made a lot of promises they haven't kept recently, so it's wait and watch.
They already have unified them in the Nord 2. It is ColorOS with the OxygenOS launcher minus the bloatware. I guess that is fine as long as they stay that way and not introduce ads and bloat.

OxygenOS was always a skinned OS and it was fast and fluid because (1) it always had the flagship specs (2) no junk apps (3) no elaborate customizations and (4 - most importantly) had to support only 1 device.

It is easy to optimize an OS for a specific device with fixed configuration, but will be a maintenance nightmare when there are multiple devices and variants.

With the 7 series came the pro, and then the Nord and then a slew of Nord variants. With so many devices to support, I doubt they would be able to optimize the OS for all the devices. Maybe part of the reason, they ditched the OxygenOS core and adopted Color OS. Now their software team can concentrate on adapting ColorOS to their various devices than worrying about the OS itself.

And OP devices are tweaked Oppo devices, so it makes sense to tread that path.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:28   #31008
One
BHPian

Some features of Chinese phones coming to light by a security team of Lithuanian government

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...ns-2021-09-21/
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 10:28   #31009
Distinguished - BHPian

Any one using the One Plus 9R? I've read that 9R has a previous gen processor but is less prone to heating and smoother compared to One Plus 9 or 9 Pro. I'm not keen on spending on 9 or 9 Pro. Can anyone who is using it put up a genuine review?
Old 24th September 2021, 12:45   #31010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
They already have unified them in the Nord 2. It is ColorOS with the OxygenOS launcher minus the bloatware. I guess that is fine as long as they stay that way and not introduce ads and bloat...

...And OP devices are tweaked Oppo devices, so it makes sense to tread that path.
I fall in the 'buy a device for what it is today, not what's promised for the future' camp, so I'm perfectly content using my 7T running the last stable Android 10 release, until my use case changes.

Being up in arms about design & feature promises gets nowhere. They decide what to do with their business, I vote with my wallet.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 02:00   #31011
Senior - BHPian

Is this genuine? I thought pixel 4a 5G never released in india but see it’s available on Amazon.in?
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dda48ed1bc6c46e8853851fe9862c822.jpeg  

Old 25th September 2021, 08:05   #31012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Any one using the One Plus 9R? I've read that 9R has a previous gen processor but is less prone to heating and smoother compared to One Plus 9 or 9 Pro. I'm not keen on spending on 9 or 9 Pro. Can anyone who is using it put up a genuine review?
Hi, I am using a OnePlus 9R for close to 5 months now and had bought it in April when it was first launched. Overall in the past 6 years I have been using OnePlus phones starting from oneplusx, then OnePlus 3t, Oneplus 6t and now Oneplus 9r. All my phones are actually still working even now (have given them away to family). I just get the batteries replaced after 2 years and they are as good as new. Battery cost is generally 1800-2000 for replacement.
Now coming to the OnePlus 9R (12Gb), compared to my OnePlus 6t which was the 8GB Ram version, I felt the phone is only 10% faster than the 6T and there was hardly any difference of experience when using the phone for normal daily usage.
The battery though (as it is a bit bigger 4500mah vs 3800mah) lasts around 15% longer in daily use and give me 5 hours of SOT in 24 hours of use.
One of the biggest benefits of 9R I see is fast charging -65w. So everyday in the morning I just charge my phone in 40 min to full before going to office.

Few other things - the screen quality and 120Hz display of the 9r is pretty good and there is a visible difference when you put it side by side with OnePlus 6T. The colours are much better and movement is smooth.

Also compared to 6T, the cameras on the 9R are much better - in both day and night photography.

Overall the 9r is a decent phone with good value for money and it is mostly bloatfree (things like Netflix, Onleplus store, OnePlus service, Gpay etc are pre-installed over the OS). There is no advertising in any os functions anywhere.

Initially when I had bought it, there were some software glitches - but those were fixed by updates from OnePlus within 2 months and the phone is seamless now.

Ps: during the Amazon shopping festival in Oct, you should be able to get better discount with certain bank cards so that would be a good time if you are looking to buy it.

Also if you need better value phones, you can also try the Realme GT Master edition (28k for specs similar to Oneplus 9R) - Realme is also a BBK group company and has taken The value for money position which oneplus used to hold earlier in the overall Business. I bought the Realme Pad recently and found it quite good value and performance.

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th September 2021 at 08:34.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 08:36   #31013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi, I am using a OnePlus 9R for close to 5 months now and had bought it in April when it was first launched. Overall in the past 6 years I have been using OnePlus phones starting from oneplusx, then OnePlus 3t, Oneplus 6t and now Oneplus 9r.
Thanks a lot. My phones have been the same except X. WiFi on my One Plus 3T stopped working so I exchanged it with One Plus 6T 6GB RAM. Now that is throwing issues like camera doesn't work most often, there is some lag. I don't want a lightening fast phone, something that does my work flawlessly. I use my phone for almost everything for which I was dependent on laptop. But don't want to venture into another brand. And spending on One Plus 9 or Pro doesn't make sense. Am waiting for the Amazon sale. I've also noticed that One Plus store is giving a better value for my 6T compared to Amazon. Let's see what is in store once the sale starts.
Old 25th September 2021, 09:15   #31014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Is this genuine? I thought pixel 4a 5G never released in india but see it’s available on Amazon.in?
These are grey market imports and does not have any brand warranty. The price has considerably come down recently as it was selling around 55K a while ago.

I sometimes wonder whether it is worthwhile spending top dollar on a lower speced Pixel when you can get a Realme or a Xiaomi with flagship grade specs for lesser money.

A MI 11X was going for less than 2KK after discounts recently. You can get rid of MIUI by installing PixelExperience ROM in it. A Pixel phone with flagship specs for 25K, isn't that enticing?
white-power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 15:19   #31015
BHPian

Hi All! Bought a POCO M3 for mom 2 weeks back. From the day 1 there was issues with the mobile not catching WiFi at my moms usual place but her old Redmi note 5 was still playing youtube. After a couple of days we noticed couple of call drop issues as well but off late the call drop issue has gone up to 4-5 calls a day and mom finds it annoying.

Requested for a replacement with Flipkart. They sent a technician who checked and said everything is fine. I kept both mobiles side by side in moms room and M3 was struggling to play videos and redmi Note 5 was playing without a hiccup. He immediately added that to this report but my replacement was rejected. Raised a replacement 2nd time today but the end result the same.

Any workaround fellas to at least reduce call drops?
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:00   #31016
BHPian

I am currently using OnePlus 6 8GB 256 GB variant and looking for an upgrade as my phone battery started giving me troubles. I had to charge it 3 times a day. I don't want to shell out a fortune on my smartphone, my budget is 35-40k. Shortlisted below

Asus Rog 3 - Not a gamer. Just a flagship phone getting at a cheaper price of 35k on Flipkart sale. I like the 865+ processor, 144 hertz refresh rate and the 6000 mah battery. I hate the 240g weight, aesthetics and the Asus resale value after 2-3 years. Effective price after exchange and cashback is 26k.

Samsung S20 FE 5G - Getting 6k off on HDFC Bank card, 2k off on Samsung App, 9k exchange on my old phone. I like the wireless charging, 865, decent cameras, 120 hertz touch screen and overall flagship experience. I hate the plastic back, Samsung UI and only 15w charger bundled. Effective price after all discounts, cashbacks, exchange is 35k.

Used Samsung Note 10+ - Found a 1 year old one on OLX 12GB 256GB variant with bill and box. Excellent condition, hardly used, owner also using back screen guard. Asking 37k after hard negotiations. I love the beautiful screen, s-pen, premium flagship experience, fantastic cameras, wireless and reverse wireless charging features. I hate the Exynos chipset which throttles on heavy usage and already 2 years old model, future OS and security update chances are slim. Have to pay full cash as no EMI option available.

Mi 10 - 35k after discounts, coupons, exchange on Amazon. I like the rounded edges, 865 chipset, flagship experience. I hate the MIUI, resale after few years and ads in MI UI. Just a decent phone without much hyped features.

Did not consider OnePlus 9R, Vivo, Realme, Iqoo or Oppo phones. Open to any flagship Snapdragon 865/870/888 processor smartphones only. Don't want Apple as I can't afford to lose kidney Any suggestions?
Old 27th September 2021, 19:19   #31017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I am currently using OnePlus 6 8GB 256 GB variant and looking for an upgrade as my phone battery started giving me troubles. I had to charge it 3 times a day. I don't want to shell out a fortune on my smartphone, my budget is 35-40k. Shortlisted below
Well if you really want honest advice (from a long term OnePlus user -6 years now!) Get the phone's battery changed from official OnePlus service - it hardly costs 1900 rupees. After this change, do a hard reset on your phone and it will be as good as new

One option you can also consider is the Realme GT 5G edition which is around 37k and is good value for money.

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th September 2021 at 19:23.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 01:36   #31018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post

Did not consider OnePlus 9R, Vivo, Realme, Iqoo or Oppo phones. Open to any flagship Snapdragon 865/870/888 processor smartphones only. Any suggestions?
Any reason for avoiding Iqoo7?
It's one of the cheapest phone with Snapdragon 870. Almost all reviewers mentioned it to be having no heating issues unlike some other flagship phones.

Except that Exynos powered Samsung phone, everything sounds sweet. Heating issues would alone destroy the flagship experience.
I think price would further go down during the Amazon Great Indian Festival.
S20 FE is said to be having huge offers.
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 is available for 45k. Just check the final price after offers.[Buy it only for the S pen experience].
The21st is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 09:39   #31019
BHPian

To the gurus out there, I am looking for a phone with a budget of around 30k, not higher than that, preferably used for taking pictures, videos and editing, maybe a little bit of gaming. I would like to have a stock Android phone, one of my friend swears on One Plus Nord 2 even though it has Oxygen OS.

My current phone is a very old Note 5 Pro whose display broke last evening, although it has not given me any issues to date
Old 29th September 2021, 10:54   #31020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
To the gurus out there, I am looking for a phone with a budget of around 30k, not higher than that, preferably used for taking pictures, videos and editing, maybe a little bit of gaming. I would like to have a stock Android phone, one of my friend swears on One Plus Nord 2 even though it has Oxygen OS.

My current phone is a very old Note 5 Pro whose display broke last evening, although it has not given me any issues to date
I would suggest getting the Moto Edge 20 over the Nord 2. The nord 2 runs ColorOS with a Oneplus skin on top of it and is not a true stock android experience. The edge 20 is as close to stock android you will get apart from the Pixel. It has a great processor and the best display in this price range. It should suit your needs very well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks