Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 11:39   #31096
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am looking to buy a phone with the following requirements:

1. Good camera and screen
2. Battery should last more than a day. Fast charging is not critical but good to have.
3. 5G capability would be good to have.
4. Price should be 25k or less
5. I primarily use the phone for calls, and social media apps. So, I guess performance should not be a major issue.
Old 21st October 2021, 13:27   #31097
Senior - BHPian

I have a Pixel 2 XL which is working very well. I had bought it around 35k in Flipkart sale. But its resale value is abysmal. On many sites, the resale value is around 4000-5000 only, same as iPhone SE which costed half of this, or even Nokia 4.2 which costed less than a third of this. Such an extremely low value really makes one think whether it is worth going for costly phones from google.

From a resale point of view after say 2-3 years, what are the current companies that command good resale value? Nokia/Apple? What about OnePlus?
Old 21st October 2021, 14:51   #31098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have a Pixel 2 XL which is working very well. I had bought it around 35k in Flipkart sale. But its resale value is abysmal. On many sites, the resale value is around 4000-5000 only, same as iPhone SE which costed half of this, or even Nokia 4.2 which costed less than a third of this. Such an extremely low value really makes one think whether it is worth going for costly phones from google.

From a resale point of view after say 2-3 years, what are the current companies that command good resale value? Nokia/Apple? What about OnePlus?
When did you buy it? Pixel 2 XL is a very old device man.

I remember when I was buying my OnePlus 6T in January 2019, the pixel 2XL was already more than a year old in the market. Once the phone is out its warranty period, these online sites (like cashify) start judging it on the basis of its launch date (i guess) because there is no option to choose age of the device IIRC.

I also have an iphone 7 plus bought in early 2018 for 56k and currently cashify is offering 12k for it, people on olx are offering 15k maximum. You can also get around 7-8k if you try selling on olx etc. So, 4-5k may seem too low to you but given the age of the device and the resale value of my iphone (as iphones have the best resale), I don't think it is bad given you spent much less on it.

See, cashify etc. will give low offer as the model is very old in the market, but in case you bought it later (say 2019 etc) you may haggle with a buyer on platforms like olx.

Or, you can change its battery (if degraded) and hand it down to someone in the family (Snapdragon 835, still a fast device) or use it as a navigation device in your car etc. Much better than giving it out for paltry 4-5k.

Apple has the best resale but you also spend so much more on it initially. OnePlus i guess has better resale as far as androids are concerned. But once the device gets very old, you won't get very good offers as usually second hand buyers are value conscious. Selling a 60k samsung/oneplus for 20k after two years may seem a steal deal to you but to them it is an old phone and they can get a good enough new phone for 20k.

Buyers in the budget segment get swayed with specs on paper, quality and user experience don't matter to them as they have never experienced it.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 22:11   #31099
BHPian

Does the S20 FE 5G support carrier aggregation? I read some threads on Reddit and Samsung forums where owners claimed that CA is disabled in the Indian variant
Old 21st October 2021, 23:07   #31100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have a Pixel 2 XL which is working very well. I had bought it around 35k in Flipkart sale. But its resale value is …..

Well I know the pain having bought some of the erstwhile nexus, blackberry and pixel phones. The devices which are best in holding their value are Apple, One plus amongst others. Even Samsung devices do not hold their value as they get discounted quite early in the life cycle. Need to find a phone where the manufacturer does not lower prices by much.
Luke1972 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 03:34   #31101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Check the second answer
Appreciate the pointers. Trouble is, much of those articles are quite old. In that time, Android and App Versions have changed. The so called "Nearby Friends" option on Facebook is no longer present (Not for me).

For the short term, I have removed Facebook (recommended by many on the link) to see if it does anything. I don't use it much anyway so it ain't going to hurt if I miss out on some social media action.

Data Saver, I guess is primarily for mobile data. Its 99% switched off for me as I am always near some Wi Fi connection. Its mostly off as mobile data cost in my part of the world are high.

There were only two new apps that were installed. I've removed one of them and it did not make any difference. I now need to try and remove the other app and check.

With regard to Background Apps. I don't have anything titled like that. I assume this is located under Battery, where you find apps and kill them one by one. If you meant, something else, let me know.
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:50   #31102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
My S10e screen went white and green and unresponsive, just like that. A restart brought about no change, but after 10 minutes or so, the contents on the screen became visible, albeit with a heavy green tint. Some time later, it went back to normal and I thought that was that. But next time I used the phone, the green tint was back.

I really didn't want to go for an S series again, since I am seeing a lot of issues with these phones. A friend, who has an S10, had a similar experience with the screen, and also my dad, who has an S20.
Attachment 2221570
Tell me about it. I faced the exact issue in my Samsung Galaxy S8. Repeated the mistake by buying Samsung Note 9. same issue again. sworn never to buy high end samsung mobies again.

After lot of googling about this issue, i found a workaround of this issue, so do give it a try. There is an app named OLED Saver, install it and change the color settings in the app. I was able to get the display back to near stock with this. Temporary fix though.
Old 22nd October 2021, 11:57   #31103
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Data Saver, I guess is primarily for mobile data. Its 99% switched off for me as I am always near some Wi Fi connection. Its mostly off as mobile data cost in my part of the world are high.

There were only two new apps that were installed. I've removed one of them and it did not make any difference. I now need to try and remove the other app and check.

With regard to Background Apps. I don't have anything titled like that. I assume this is located under Battery, where you find apps and kill them one by one. If you meant, something else, let me know.
Quote:

If it were me, I'd diagnose by first disabling most of my background apps, except core (phone, built-in texting app, maybe email), and see if this fixes it.

If so, start by adding back in background apps, but give each 1-2 a day or so to run, before adding more.

One way to do a "quick check" here is to enable data-saver, and see if this also brings down the usage (this should, in thoery, prevent almost all non-essential background apps from doing things that require a DNS check).
Step 1:
You are going to uninstall the 2nd app and check. If it doesn't work then

Step 2:
What the data saver method mentioned above implies is, if you are on that mode , to quickly check if the mdnsd process still exists/ consumes extra power. So basically you keep data saver mode on (switch off Wifi and use mobile data), and then check if usage of mdnmsd goes down. If it does, one can more quickly find the app which is still triggering this. If it doesn't, you can check existing apps which are running, compare to existing apps running in Wifi mode and isolate the trigger app/ process. If this doesn't help isolate then

Step 3:
Similar to 2nd step mentioned above, this is a longer but sure shot version of the same process. Use "Force Stop" for each app (Just google this part as Menu options here could be different in your phone and mine). Just leave the mandatory phone apps on (telephone, messaging etc.). Then start enabling them one by one as mentioned in the first post across days by monitoring the mdnsd process.

You are right that a lot of links are old, but the mdnsd process continues to have the same function in Android. So the resolution is to find an app which is using it more than earlier. There is one exception to this if the cause is not one app - sometimes the process gets stuck in a loop and restarting the phone doesn't help. Then if the steps above don't help, we can check alternate methods.

Let us know how it goes.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:39   #31104
Team-BHP Support

Still day 2 so wait and watch, but Android 12 on the Pixel seems to have better standby battery mgmt.

Lost just 1% between midnight and 8 AM. Everything else identical, 11 used to take 5-7% in the same window.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:03   #31105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Still day 2 so wait and watch, but Android 12 on the Pixel seems to have better standby battery mgmt.
Thanks to your post, I realised Android 12 is available now and promptly updated it on my 3a. From the initial experience, the new UI is different, looks nice and the phone feels snappier too. It's like having a new phone all over again!

Will observe the battery performance and long term experience.
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:08   #31106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There were only two new apps that were installed. I've removed one of them and it did not make any difference.
mDNS is used by a number of apps. Streaming media apps. Print services. File Managers. IoT controller apps. Even our Tata Sky's remote app (an Android app that can be used in lieu of the STB's remote control) I believe uses mDNS. Your best bet is to look in your Play Store app's recent updates list, and try to figure out which app's update closely coincides with the start of your troubles.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:51   #31107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Thanks to your post, I realised Android 12 is available now and promptly updated it on my 3a.
Same here!! Updating my 4a now.
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:18   #31108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let us know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
mDNS is used by a number of apps.
Some observations over the last 24 hours.

The phone discharged by 28% in just 3 hours from being unplugged from the charger. This was yesterday. mdnsd was ranked right at the top of top power consumers.

I can't say for sure. Removing Facebook seemed to have made a small (very small) difference. The phone did not drop below 20% battery in 24 hours, which it would have otherwise done. However; mdnsd was still the top power consumer so this makes me think Facebook isn't really the culprit.

The phone has a 3300mAh battery. Small by todays standards but is still pretty good for my use. When all is well, the phone still has >30% of battery life left after 24 hours from being unplugged from the charger.

I charged the phone this AM. The usual weekly routine is my son listens to Libby audio book app while the phone charges. When its 100%, he unplugs it and then keeps it with him.

The weekend pattern is slightly different where he listens to Libby and then fires up a game once the phone is 100% charged. He started playing Airline Commander and Electric Trains for an hour. In this time, the top consumer of power was the Google Play Store.
  • 10% power lost in 44 minutes. 152 mAh consumed by the Play Store.
  • 115 mAh by the screen being on
  • 21 + 18 mAh consumed by the two games he played

mdnsd isn't coming up as a top consumer so far.
Wifi On. Mobile Data Off. Data Saver Off
I'll try your recommendations

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd October 2021 at 03:19.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 14:03   #31109
BHPian

I updated to Android 12 on my Pixel 4a. The subtle changes in the look and feel are nice. The UI also feels smoother.
However, stand alone Android Auto is not supported in my Android 12. Both my cars are from a less smarter genration and cannot be "connected" to the phone. I used to find the hands-off control features of Android Auto App useful. Google Assistant's driving mode is supposed to replace Android Auto App, but not sure how it works. Has anyone any suggestions, other than rolling back to Android 11?

Last edited by cogWheel : 24th October 2021 at 14:17.
Old 24th October 2021, 14:08   #31110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
I updated to Android 12 on my Pixel 4a. The shooting btle changes in the look and feel are nice. The UI also feels smoother.
However, stand alone Android Auto is not supported in my Android 12. Both my cars are from a less smarter genration and cannot be "connected" to the phone. I used to find the hands-off control features of Android Auto App useful. Google Assistant's driving mode is supposed to replace Android Auto App, but not sure how it works. Has anyone any suggestions, other than rolling back to Android 11?
I had updated to Android 12, 2 days ago on my Pixel 3a. Earlier today I tried Android auto for a short city trip and it worked as expected, didn't observe any change in the experience. Try uninstall/reinstalling the Android auto app and see if it fixes the issue.

Last edited by ashis89 : 24th October 2021 at 14:27.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed