Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2021, 11:18   #31126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, my 3+ year old Samsung S9 is now showing signs of aging. What is the best Android phone on the market? Requirements:

- Fast performance
- Good camera
- Good looks
- Would prefer to avoid the XL-sized phones
- If something really kickass is on the horizon, I am fine waiting for its launch
- No budget cap
Thanks guys! Saw the Flip 3 and totally fell in love. Ordered . Delivery on Sunday.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:25   #31127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Attachment 2206475

After about three weeks of waiting, the phone finally landed.
Two months have passed with my Motorola Edge 20 and I think a review is in order, especially since things are not looking good.

First lets get through the pros, as the cons are what I'd like to concentrate on.

The UI is fast and fluid. The bloatware free experience is nice and the stock Android apps are nicer than the proprietary ones, even the oneplus apps.

The phone is very lightweight, so carrying around isn't much of a hassle except for the size.

That was fast, now to the cons.

The phone feels unfinished - a kind of a prototype, or a beta version. Both hardware and software. There are major ergonomic issues including the positioning of the buttons, the fingerprint reader, the huge camera bumps etc.

Its a large phone, so despite the lack of heft, handling it with one hand is a circus. I end up getting my finger on the reader whenever I pick up the device so now I have changed the settings to activate the fingerprint reader on button press and not touch. Moreover, all the buttons are placed too high so it is tough to reach when you are holding the phone.

There are major screen touch issues when using a screen protector. There are ghost touches, single touches getting registered as double touches, edges of the screen becoming unresponsive etc. Things get better without a screen protector. Sometimes a simple restart improves things - for a while.

The 30w charger charges the phone quite fast, but the phone becomes too hot while charging. Am assuming that all PD chargers heat up the battery, so am using an old Samsung 1.5A charger unless am in a hurry. Also according to accubattery the battery health has dropped to 82% in a month. So I have set an alarm at 70% and disconnects when it reaches that. So I keep the charge between 30 and 70% hoping the battery degradation is slower.

I dunno why, after making a slim phone, they had to go ahead and use a supersized camera sensor thereby giving it a camera bump that is as thick as the phone itself. The fact that they did it in three steps do not help matters. The phone wobbles when lying on a flat desk. They could have gone with one simple 12MP sensor and kept all the fancy sensors for the Pro and the Fusion. Despite having 3 proper cameras, the quality of the photos are nothing to write home about.

Some people have complained about the WiFi performance and although I have not faced any real world problems, I see that the "receive link speed" dropping very often. Hope its a software issue and they are able to issue a fix.

Even with all these software issues, I don't see any software updates from Motorola. I know Motorola is slow with updates, but they should at least send out bug fixes.

Now, if anybody is planning to buy one, I wouldn't say don't buy one, but make sure that this will not be your primary phone. I have my iPhone 6S for my phone calls and financial transactions, and am now seriously thinking of upgrading it to an iPhone 12 so that I can shift some of the important use cases from the Motorola to the iPhone. I will wait for a month to see whether Motorola fixes some of these issues before deciding.

Last edited by civic-sense : 15th November 2021 at 14:37.
civic-sense is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 12:21   #31128
BHPian

Guys I'm currently using redmi note 8 pro for over 3 years and it's starting to show typical budget smartphone traits - slowing down, occasionally hangs up and I'm simply bored with it. Looking to replace it in 6 months with an Android phone. My must haves are as follows -
1) Good Quality display (OLED/AMOLED ) with refresh rates
2) Lightweight and compact
3) Minimum hardware on the camera bumps - current smartphones with 4, 5 even 6 cameras irk me and also trigger my trypophobia !
These 3 must haves are non negotiable. I'm fine with no 5G compatibility, average battery life and performance part.
For these must haves, currently only the pixel 4a is top choice for me. Is there any news on when new pixel phones will be launching in India ? Any suggestions are welcome.
PS I'm aware that iPhones clearly meet my requirements, but somehow I can't justify spending 60k ₹+ on a phone Maybe few years down the road I can muster the courage to buy an iPhone !
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 12:29   #31129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
For these must haves, currently only the pixel 4a is top choice for me. Is there any news on when new pixel phones will be launching in India ? Any suggestions are welcome.
PS I'm aware that iPhones clearly meet my requirements, but somehow I can't justify spending 60k ₹+ on a phone Maybe few years down the road I can muster the courage to buy an iPhone !
OnePlus 9R is a great choice, the Fluid AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+ display paired with awesome processor and 5G under 40k is great. You can even download modded Google Camera App and have pixel like camera (atleast the software/processing).

OnePlus 10R will be available in 6 months (not sure) and would offer the latest snapdragon.

My family member just got a iPhone 11 64gb for 31k (iPhone 6s exchanged ₹7k), only miss will be a high refresh rate OLED rest is great.

Hope this helps
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 15:27   #31130
BHPian

Hi guys,

Currently I am using 2 year old, iphone 11 which is working just fine.
But I have 2 issues with iOS.
1. realtime truecaller.
2. Call recording.

I get a lot of calls including spam/marketing ones and it becomes very irritating when you are in the middle of something and you pick up a marketing call.

I am thinking of shifting to android world after using iphones for 7-8 years.
I have shortlisted Pixel 6 pro and vivo X70 pro plus.
If I decide to go with pixel, I will ask my cousin to get it for me but I will not have any sort of support (even if a paid one) if something goes wrong. I have always had a good experience with phones brought from USA.
How are vivo X series phones in general? I have heard camera is excellent on X70 pro plus. Any one using here can share experience.
You can argue why not samsung? I want to try something different this time and camera is also one of my priorities.
Old 16th November 2021, 16:28   #31131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
You can argue why not samsung? I want to try something different this time and camera is also one of my priorities.
If camera is a priority, then you can't go wrong with Samsung. Even pixel6 pro uses Samsung camera module.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th November 2021 at 17:27. Reason: typo
joslicx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 20:10   #31132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If camera is a priority, then you can't go wrong with Samsung. Even pixel6 pro uses Samsung camera module.
I would second that. Recent Samsung phones have good cameras. Have heard mostly good things about S20FE 5G as a good phone with good cameras as well. It was available for a very good deal during the festive season and may once again be available for a good price during Black Friday sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Is there any news on when new pixel phones will be launching in India ?
I am also in the market for a new phone for self. Not immediate though since got a Pixel 2 XL from my sister and that is serving well but the power button has popped out and restarting through a pin is not that easy.

Was looking forward to the Pixel 5A release which is why did not get the S20 FE 5G during the sale (my second choice). There were rumours that Pixel 5A would release around Diwali but that has not happened.

Will wait for some time more to see if Pixel 5A is coming to our shores else will go with S20 FE or S21FE (expected to launch in January)

Regards,
S
sukhoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 20:44   #31133

My experience with Realme GT Master Edition.

BUDGET
Being an undergraduate student, my initial budget was 15k, which I extended to 20k. I was waiting for the Big Billion Days and Great Indian Festival to kick in. Usually this is the period during which you will get the best discounts.

MY NEEDS
Performance was the primary concern for me. Even though, I am not a hard core gamer, the feeling of having a powerful phone was important to me. I want my phone to be capable of doing any task without getting heated.
Camera was important but I don't expect much in this category.
Screen must be an Amoled one with 120Hz.
Fast charging. I was already spoiled by the 30W charger in my home.

MY PLANS
My dream was to get Iqoo 7. Due to budget constraints, it was avoided.
Approximately 2 weeks before the Big Billion Days, I found Realme X7 Max, a flagship killer at an amazing price of 21k. It's usual price is 25k(earlier it was close to 27k). I knew it was a great deal but still I thought that the prices would further come down during the sale.

THE SALE
Iqoo 7 was having negligible discounts.
My biggest disappointment was that the price of Realme X7 Max increased to 27k. It was such a great deal for 21k and I missed it. I was left with no option( Options that was interesting to me)
Mi 11X was available for 21k, provided, you are having HDFC card which I don't have.

MY PURCHASE
Finally, I saw an interesting option.
REALME GT MASTER EDITION
It was almost the same phone as the X7 Max. The difference is that, this phone has a superior build and premium look than X7 Max but a slightly inferior chipset.
I don't intend to play any hard core games and Snapdragon 778 was having above average perfomance. There is no overheating issues too.
So I decided to compromise a bit on the performance aspect. This decision was only because I don't have a choice. Else, my pick would be X7 Max or even the Mi 11X(But I really hate MIUI)

THE PHONE
Super Amoled Screen with 120Hz
Snapdragon 778
65W Fast charging(Approximately 30 minutes for full charge)
64MP Primary Camera(Camera quality cannot be judged based on mega pixels, I am mentioning it for the sake of it.)
4300mAh Battery
180g weight
Headphone Jack is present
Has some 5G bands

MY EXPERIENCE

Screen
Screen is bright(1000 nits). I couldn't feel a day and night difference between 60Hz, 90Hz and 120Hz. I was looking for differences to be honest. I was comparing an Amoled 60Hz Redmi Note 10, 90Hz LCD Realme 7 and this smartphone. Redmi still felt slow, but I am not sure whether it is the 60Hz or the MIUI that is spoiling the experience.

Performance
The only game I tried was Hill Climb Racing 2 . It was smooth. The phone was cool throughout the game. According to youtube reviews, the gaming department was fine and the phone stayed cool. In my day to day activities, the phone was cool. During game, it would just become warm. If you are calling it as 'heating issue', then you are wrong. Play any high end game in those budget devices that cost less than 15k and you will understand what 'real heating issue' is. The only time, you feel the heat is during charging. It won't overheat but still, you can feel the heat.

Charging
Trust me, once you are used to super fast charging, it is very difficult to go back. I am charging it when the battery falls below 20 percent. It would be fully charged in less than 30 minutes. Even if the battery went flat, it would take only 30 minutes approximately. Imagine, you are plugging it and went to a take a shower. After the shower, the phone is fully charged, ready for action.

Camera
I kept my expectations really low.
The primary camera does a decent job. Even the primary selfie camera is fine. Ultrawide cameras will get you some decent pics for Instagram.
If you are really concerned about camera, just get a Pixel 4a.
I can't compare how better this camera is compared to the competition. Generally there is not a single phone in this category that gives you pictures to boast about except the Pixel 4a.

In Hand Experience
The phone feels light, especially if you are used to those 5000mAh or 6000mAh phones.
The phone looks really beautiful. It really feels like a premium product. People were asking me whether it is an iphone ( They don't look similar but for some reason, many people asked me the same). The suitcase design is great and also the back cover coming with it has the same suitcase design with a slightly faded colour. It is better than the usual plastic back cover bundled with other normal smartphones. Overall, a premium looking device.

Battery Life
Battery life is subjective and can vary drastically depending on your usage.
For my usage which includes Youtube, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Telegram and Hill Climb Racing 2, I was getting a screen on time of 7+ hours. The processor is efficient and the screen on time is great for a 4300mAh battery phone. Ultra Battery Saver will further increase your battery life and by a decent margin.

User Interface/U.I
It has a stock android theme. It's fast and feel like fast unlike MIUI. This is not a perfect U.I but at least it is much better than MIUI(personal opinion). It will be updated to Android 12

Haptic Feedback
I never had a chance to use a premium smartphone. I always wondered what those reviewers mean when they say premium haptics. This is still a budget smartphone but I can clearly say that you will notice a difference in the vibration in this smartphone to an ultra budget smartphone. The vibrations are precise and has a nice feel to it. You have to experience it to understand it. I am not sure how better will be the haptic feedback in super high end smartphones.

This is my experience with this smartphone. I have been using it for more than one month. My point of reference are those budget smartphones that cost less than 20k. Correct me if any of my information is wrong or you have a different opinion. It will help others in finalising this product if this is really the one they are looking for. This is my first long post in this forum. I tried my best in making it great but still not sure if this is at least comparable to Team-BHP standards.

VERDICT-A GREAT BUY FOR 20k RUPEES.
The21st is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 09:41   #31134
BHPian

Quote:
1. realtime truecaller.
2. Call recording.

I get a lot of calls including spam/marketing ones and it becomes very irritating when you are in the middle of something and you pick up a marketing call.

I am thinking of shifting to android world after using iphones for 7-8 years.
If coming from a iPhone, Pixel is the way to go, hands down the cleanest and best Android experience. After market support is a big issue in India. You can import say a display and replace your screen if broken but not a hassle free experience.

Samsung's have a decent software and great camera they are definitely worth considering.

Also OnePlus aren't what I would recommend as they are going down the Oppo/Vivo way now but they might be worth a look (go to a OnePlus Store).

Please don't look into Oppo/Vivo kinda brands, their UI make my eyes sore and they're gonna start lagging in a few years (no iPhone like long lasting reliability).

1- Pixel
2- Samsung (S Series or Foldable)
3- OnePlus

Last edited by RohaNN_kWh : 17th November 2021 at 09:43. Reason: Typo
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 11:08   #31135
BHPian

Hi All,
Looking for a budget dual SIM smartphone within 15k. Something which is fast and does the job. Not finicky about camera or any hi tech spec. Should be durable and abuse friendly - whatever that means in the context of mobile phones.

Want a phone which runs stock android, so looking beyond Xiaomi and the likes. I know that Motorola and Nokia run stock SW but not sure if they have offerings in the sub 15k category.
Old 17th November 2021, 11:14   #31136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I know that Motorola and Nokia run stock SW but not sure if they have offerings in the sub 15k category.
Get the Motorola G40 Fusion. The 128 GB version is now available for 15k. (Before card offers)
https://www.flipkart.com/motorola-g4...w1637127675033

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 17th November 2021 at 11:16.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 08:55   #31137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Currently I am using 2 year old, iphone 11 which is working just fine.
1. realtime truecaller.
2. Call recording.

I want to try something different this time and camera is also one of my priorities.
Think iPhone has great cameras..

Have to agree on the Call recording though
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 21:43   #31138
BHPian

Any review of Samsung A52 or Samsung A52s ?

Any real life review of Samsung A52 (or A52s) here? I would like to replace my 2+ year old Samsung A50 and that seems to be a good device on Specs. So, anyone who has used A52 please could share your review of

Camera/ Image quality
Screen (does 120Hz make any difference)
General performance and
Battery backup
Old 25th November 2021, 11:11   #31139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Get the Motorola G40 Fusion. The 128 GB version is now available for 15k. (Before card offers)
[url="https://www.flipkart.com/motorola-g40-fusion-dynamic-gray-128-gb/]
How is the aftersales support for this considering that Motorola is no longer a top selling brand in India. I live in Kolkata and do see that service centers are available.

Also, have never bought electronics off Flipkart. Do the same buyer beware rules apply wrt to resellers on the platform?
Old 25th November 2021, 11:24   #31140
BHPian

Re: Any review of Samsung A52 or Samsung A52s ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Any real life review of Samsung A52 (or A52s) here? I would like to replace my 2+ year old Samsung A50 and that seems to be a good device on Specs. So, anyone who has used A52 please could share your review of

Camera/ Image quality
Screen (does 120Hz make any difference)
General performance and
Battery backup
Wife has the A52 8GB model (not the 5G one)
Camera is decent for a mid ranger
Believe screen is 90Hz and it wasn't noticeable compared to that of my s10
Performance is decent, no complaints
Battery is great.

Apart from the above, phone looks and feels bulky (but I guess most phones are like that now-a-days)
smartindboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks