Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2021, 21:18   #31171
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Hey - I am wondering where do you see this price on Amazon. Despite checking it multiple times, I can only see it as 39990 instead of 26990.
I, then, checked Samsung Corporate scheme and cheapest I can get this device on that platform is 37100.
Hi dmplog. The same link that I have included in my post lists the phone at 39,990 /-. And it has a 3,000 /- discount coupon also making it available as 36,990. Refer screenshot below.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-s20fedeal.png

Name:  s20feordersummary.png
Views: 446
Size:  7.9 KB

An interesting experience I had today with my Pixel 2 XL today afternoon. I had a bunch of applications which were due for update so did an update all. Post that all of a sudden, while I was browsing the Google feed, the phone restarted and went into a loop showing the Google logo on screen with a progress bar. The power button of this phone has fallen off so could not try a power button + volume combo for a safe boot type of option (which the internet suggested). At some interval in the loop process the screen would flicker (with a reduced brightness) and the haptic motor would kick in making some noise (at least that is what it felt liked). Resorted to the idea of taking it for repairs tomorrow afternoon to some repair guys in the hope that they may at least be able to provide some alternative for the power button so that I could try the safe re-boot option. Was also hoping that maybe the battery would run out and eventually the device would shut down, would re-charge and maybe the thing would work. Was trying to simulate a power button press using the SIM card ejector tool but it did not work. Just a while back I looked at the phone and it showed two options, Try again or Factory Reset (in which case we loose data). It also showed some information about some logs etc. (forgot to take a picture, wanted to). Gave the try again option a shot and the phone worked. Was on low battery so immediately plugged it in. Fingers crossed that it now works. I suspect that some app update might have caused this issue but am not sure how did it eventually get fixed.

The purpose of sharing the above story is two fold, one that it may help someone who finds themselves in a similar situation (hope not but in worst case). Secondly, it made me realise the importance of backing up the data on phone (which I am very bad at). So wanted to ask the experts what do you do for backing up your phone so that should in the unfortunate event that it gets damaged and cannot be accessed, you do not loose data. WhatsApp chats are backed, contacts and SMS can be backed too using 3rd party apps. Photos could be backed to the cloud I guess (not sure of the limits). Anything else that you follow for backing up data etc.?

Regards,
S
sukhoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 21:43   #31172
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
How is the aftersales support for this considering that Motorola is no longer a top selling brand in India. I live in Kolkata and do see that service centers are available.

Also, have never bought electronics off Flipkart. Do the same buyer beware rules apply wrt to resellers on the platform?
Hi hothatchaway

Did you end up getting the Motorola phone? I’ve similar requirements as you and am looking for feedback here rather than what might be fraudulent reviews on Amazon or flip kart.

Thanks!
RJK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 21:51   #31173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Just got my Pixel 6 today and I am pleasantly surprised. Its quite a heavy phone and coming from a Samsung S10 Lite, the phone feels a lot more premium in terms of design and quality. The screen is top class, the loudspeaker and vibration motors are top class as well. Overall, it feels a lot like a top of the line model for a budget price.
From where? Is it an upgrade to the 1+8 pro?

Last edited by manson : 22nd December 2021 at 16:48. Reason: Typos.
Old 18th December 2021, 23:02   #31174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post

An interesting experience I had today with my Pixel 2 XL today afternoon. .... Secondly, it made me realise the importance of backing up the data on phone (which I am very bad at). So wanted to ask the experts what do you do for backing up your phone so that should in the unfortunate event that it gets damaged and cannot be accessed, you do not loose data. WhatsApp chats are backed, contacts and SMS can be backed too using 3rd party apps. Photos could be backed to the cloud I guess (not sure of the limits). Anything else that you follow for backing up data etc.?

Regards,
S
Thanks for sharing this. What other data on the phone do you need backed up? The address book is synced to your gmail. Pixel phones have unlimited storage for medium quality photos and videos automatically backed up to your google drive. If you use microsoft message app, it backs up all SMSs to your google account. Whatsapp too is backed up. Office documents are stored on Onedrive automatically. Do you have any other data in mind that would need backup?
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:46   #31175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
For cameras, did you try the Google Camera apks? It may make a marked differences in image quality as Google Camera software processing is clearly superior
Thanks to your idea, I have started using the Google camera app as well. Only challenge is the default app is the Samsung in-built one which I end up using a lot due to ease of navigation (double press of power button).

Also, GCam app allows zoom upto 8x while the phone supports 30x zoom.

So last night, while GCam could manage this:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20211220_195200005.night.jpg

Due to better auto and manual focus available on GCam, I had clicked this on my Pixel back in 2020
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20200408_194533.jpg

Samsung app could easily manage this after some fidgeting on my part to focus on the Moon!
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20211220_194952.jpg

Quote:
Look forward to hearing more on this.
Regards,
S
Sharing some pics I clicked during my recent trip. Most of these are basic point and shoot clicks. I still feel the quality/clarity of pics were better on my Pixel (I felt it at times the Pixel was slightly better than my wife's iPhone 11 as well). This one is not too far behind and does a decent job although this is a much faster phone.

Clicked on native app:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20211218_171038.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20211218_145410.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20211218_121942.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20211218_121955.jpg

Clicked on GCam:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20211218_144518198.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20211218_171348293.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20211218_145705008.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20211218_122049582.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20211218_122040988.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 21st December 2021 at 11:52.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 22:05   #31176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
From where ?? is it an upgrade to the 1+8 pro?
Sorry for the late reply. I got it through a friend from the US. It was an upgrade to the S10 Plus. Camera is just awesome. network and battery needs to be heavily optimised. Wifi calling and Volte work fine on airtel.
Old 21st December 2021, 22:12   #31177
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We love this Flip 3 so much that now there are three of them in the immediate family. Loads of style, small size to carry, fast and user friendly UI, above average camera and mediocre battery life. Camera is awesome during day, sad at night.

But we love it due to the small size and style. Bought 3 of them in a month!!
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 20:32   #31178
BHPian

Quote:

Query for the existing S20 FE 5G owners, are there any heating issues with the phone. Some reviewers have reported this when using the camera app for prolonged periods of time. One reviewer explained that this is expected since the 865 SoC does not have an in-built 5G modem so it uses an external 5G modem. Hence when on mobile data, the device has to power two chips thereby causing heating.

Loads of bull.

One year with the S20FE

No heating issues.

I don't have a dashcam, i use my S20FE 5G as a dashcam and hotspot.

Have driven for hours together with hotspot ON and non stop recording. All this while being plugged into power.

Never overheated. In fact, never even felt hot to the touch.

The only heating episode was on a long drive,
Phone was being charged, GPS for navigation, OBD monitoring over Bluetooth in pip mode.

Phone was on windshield mount under the sun for more than 2 hours when it threw a warning and closed the maps.

I could only run one app at a time then.

The phone is a great buy. Cameras are the best and worst part.

I absolutely love the telephoto and ultrawide angles. But they lack quality when it gets dark.

The main camera is fantastic, people think I have Cheap phone and usually are surprised when they see the quality of pics.

But the camera app is terrible. Always lagging and stuttering. It's a complaint from other s20Fe users on reddit too.

Gcam not mature enough. So I'm just bearing with it.
viXit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 22:02   #31179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I don't have a dashcam, i use my S20FE 5G as a dashcam and hotspot.
IMO, using mobile phone as dashcam is not at all a good idea as its risky. Prolonged exposure to heat can cause damage to phone & battery. The battery may bulge & performance can drop in the long run.

Better to buy a dashcam which is solely used for this purpose only. I use a mobile holder that has the entire mobile covered from the back so that no sunlight rays fall on it.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 00:44   #31180
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My Pixel has gone for a battery replacement and I think once it is back I wont be going back to it as primary. The Pixel will be backup now and mainly for camera when travelling.
My Pixel2XL just completed 3 years and the battery is acting up. Is your phone working well after the battery replacement? How much did they charge for the battery replacement? Should we send it to Mumbai or is there a local service center in Bangalore?

Last edited by rbp : 31st December 2021 at 00:45.
Old 31st December 2021, 01:14   #31181
BHPian

My daughter's Pixel 4a is shutting down due to overheating during charging with the Google provided fast charger. For now, I got her a slow charger, and it seems to have resolved the issue. Just curious if anybody else has faced similar issues.
Old 1st January 2022, 12:38   #31182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
My Pixel2XL just completed 3 years and the battery is acting up. Is your phone working well after the battery replacement? How much did they charge for the battery replacement? Should we send it to Mumbai or is there a local service center in Bangalore?
Yes working fine after battery replacement. It was less than 2K for new battery.

They collect the phone and ship to mumbai and then return it. All from your home.

You just need to contact google from your phone through the support section. They will send you a link to B2X where you pay in advance. Then B2X takes over and schedules a pick up.

Phone is perfect but I bought a backup phone S20FE 5G and realised the single most important feature was Wi-Fi calling now that I'm at home.

With the Pixel I always had call drops and no signal at home. Now with the Samsung that has Wi-Fi calling there has never been a call drop.

Moreover the newer processor is quicker even for loading whatsapp media and general functionality.

I miss the Pixel UI but installed all google apps like Google dialer, Google messages.

Also I love the wireless charging in the Samsung which I was terrible missing on the Pixel.

Waiting for Pixel 6 in 2022
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:23   #31183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
My daughter's Pixel 4a is shutting down due to overheating during charging with the Google provided fast charger.
Just curious if anybody else has faced similar issues.
Have not faced any heating issues in my P4a. I'm using my previous phone LGV30's charger which is also rated at 18W.

BTW, has she used the Adaptive Charging option in the Battery menu. Try that when charging overnight for 2-3 cycles.

Note: Adaptive charging will work only when there's a morning alarm set.

Last edited by five46 : 4th January 2022 at 14:25.
five46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 16:14   #31184
BHPian

Has anyone upgraded to Android 12 on their Pixel phones and running into a Reboot issue ?

Basically this is the issue that I am facing on my Pixel 4a
https://support.google.com/pixelphon...pixel-4a?hl=en

Just wanted to check if anyone has flashed back to Android 11 ? Or has any alternate fix ?
Old 6th January 2022, 10:11   #31185
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know where in (East) Bangalore I can get an Asus ROG Phone's cracked display replaced? The Asus website shows a place in Indira Nagar that as per comments on Google Maps, seems to be closed/shifted. All other centres are a bit too far for me (Rajaji Nagar, areas west of MG Road etc.), but OK driving to those places if push comes to shove.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks