Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 03:15   #31231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Mi 11T pro cameras do not have any OIS. That's very strange really. Phones seems solid otherwise.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:51   #31232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Kind of a rant. I am facing phone choosing fatigue.
I'm in the same boat. Looking for a phone with budget constantly varying from 15k to 50k. I think I will wait for Realme GT2 series. Then again they have the infamous SD888 and SD Gen 1 chipsets. Looks like I have to wait another 6 months. I am also seeing a shift from 64/108 MP cameras to standard 50 MPs from Sony/Samsung. From what I have heard they are better. Mi 12x has SD 870 and a beautiful design, will wait for that too. I honestly hope that some family member gifts me a phone, that way I don't have to go through this never ending process of choosing a smartphone.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 15:08   #31233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
I am also seeing a shift from 64/108 MP cameras to standard 50 MPs from Sony/Samsung. From what I have heard they are better.
For camera quality, the sensor size plays a much more important role than the pixel resolution. Better stabilization, better focus mechanism, and AI based enhancement done rightly also play a big role.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 22:20   #31234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Get the Mi 11T Pro. Eyes closed. I've tried it out at a store. Its a solid device and built to a high standard. The brands best to date.
Agree with you, the Mi11 T Pro ticks all the boxes. I currently own the Mi 9T Pro which Xiaomi released in India as the Redmi K20 Pro. Just wondering if I should wait a few months for a price cut or should jump in and buy ASAP. Current phone is still doing a decent job so there is no real hurry for me.
Old 21st January 2022, 22:40   #31235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Get the Mi 11T Pro. Eyes closed. I've tried it out at a store. Its a solid device and built to a high standard. The brands best to date.
I use a Mi 9, which was their flagship device over 2 years ago. Its so good that I am unable to cook up an excuse to replace the phone. The 11T Pro now retails (where I am) for the same price I bought the Mi 9, with more ram, 2x the storage, bigger battery, a serious camera stack and is likely..
Isn't cameras the primary reason we spend big bucks on a phone?

The 11T Pro doesn't have OIS and the main sensor is from Samsung where Sony is the norm.

Unless somebody gives real world experience on the cameras, this phone is not worth the 40k+ it's asking for.

One can wait and get the Oneplus 10 Pro. The green is absolutely smashing!
Old 21st January 2022, 23:13   #31236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Kind of a rant. I am facing phone choosing fatigue.
Tell me about it.
I change my phone every year and give the current one to wife. Right now I am using Samsung F62. No complaint as such but wife broke her secondary phone so..

I usually set the budget no more than 30k but this time I am willing to go further. Was looking at One plus 9RT but didn't like it. S21 FE suits me fine and I don't mind the Exynos chipset as I have used 3 Samsung with it and never had any issues. However I feel it is a tad overpriced. So, will see what Samsung does with S22 line up next month and upcoming One plus 10 line up as well. I am too used to of Samsung One UI so switching from it will be a task.

Btw, my primary reason to go higher is for a good camera. As my son is growing up I want to click as many memories as I can. Would have thought about an iPhone but never used any and i am too used to of Android ecosystem.

Last edited by harry10 : 21st January 2022 at 23:24.
Old 22nd January 2022, 07:22   #31237
BHPian

Guys after much deliberation, I decided to take a plunge and bought an iPhone 12 64GB few months back for 65k.

To my horror after few weeks in BBD, the same phone was available for 54k.

I came from Samsung and after using android, iOS felt claustrophobic. And now I am sick for their restrictions and Ads on youtube. Theirs no Adblock for app, atleast that works for youtube. Then there is navigation system, it is funny, too Apple like, in Samsung swipe from left/right means back, but here NO, it may/may not go back. Animation are childish, too old school and clunky.

Hence decided to come back to android. Not interest to spend more than 30k. I do not take many pictures, so camera is not that important. I also do not game.

Only requirement is an excellent screen and super smooth OS.
What do you suggest?
Sameer016 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 15:03   #31238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

The 11T Pro doesn't have OIS and the main sensor is from Samsung where Sony is the norm.

Unless somebody gives real world experience on the cameras, this phone is not worth the 40k+ it's asking for.

One can wait and get the Oneplus 10 Pro. The green is absolutely smashing!
Ordered this phone now. White 256GB at 5k discount in Citibank card.

Rationale - I was not impressed with the photo qualities of the iPhone 12 Pro max, which my friend uses, for the price it asks for. I was totally underwhelmed by my Samsung S9 capabilities as well. I'm more particular about human photography where most of these phones fail. I think phone photography is one big grey area where personal preferences, softwares and hardwares play varying roles and it's hard to determine what will meet our expectations.

My S9 and earlier phones as well had one issue or the other with screens, heating issues, software issues, sub par cameras, etc. Overall, I don't see value in putting big money on a phone.

Thanks Sandeepmohan for your inputs.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 22nd January 2022 at 15:26.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 15:32   #31239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer016 View Post
Guys after much deliberation, I decided to take a plunge and bought an iPhone 12 64GB few months back for 65k.

To my horror after few weeks in BBD, the same phone was available for 54k .
I was once of the few ones who managed to snag the iPhone 12 128 GB for 55k (without exchange) during BBD

Quote:
And now I am sick for their restrictions and Ads on Youtube. Theirs no Adblock for app, atleast that works for Youtube.
Youtube has newly introduced yearly subscriptions at just ₹1159 (₹96/month). This not only blocks ads, but pays a lot more to your favuorite creators.

Name:  Screenshot 20220122 152508.png
Views: 267
Size:  16.6 KB

If you really want to block Youtube ads, you can use Adguard in Safari. I used to use until recently & it blocks out 100% of the ads.

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-ios/overview.html

Quote:
Hence decided to come back to android. Not interest to spend more than 30k.
You can look at the Samsung S20 FE in Amazon. One of the most value phones around your price point.

Last edited by car_addict : 22nd January 2022 at 15:36.
car_addict is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 04:40   #31240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Yes. Its also the overall package. You can give me the best camera sensor on the market but ain't going anywhere near it if it has a Mediatek chip in the phone.

The lack of OIS does not make the camera sensor pick up bad images. If your camera sensor has good low light control or can keep noise levels in check at higher ISO by using software or AI, you sort of negate the need for OIS. Yes, OIS is good to have, will work in tandem and provide better results in low light conditions. Broad daylight, I doubt if OIS ever comes into play.

Samsung and Sony make excellent sensors. I'll admit Sony has the upper hand. That is not to say Samsung are terrible. A manufacturer will pick their sensor brand based on model positioning and variant. They need to cut corners somewhere and that's what Xiaomi have done in this case.

I believe this is the sensor thats used.

My personal take. I am a little hesitant with anything Oneplus. Not sure where their phone business is headed. Especially with Google's new Pixel 6 series and Samsung S21.

Xiaomi are too big to ignore anymore, especially for phones. Their other devices or appliances, I may not even consider. After years of learning, they know how to do a flagship device. If you've ever picked up and used a Mi 11 Ultra, you'll know what I am talking about. The one catch being that the Chin*se may end up knowing more about you and what you do with your phone, than Google :-).

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th January 2022 at 04:42.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 06:07   #31241
BHPian

Folks, i have a OnePlus 5 (old phone yes) still going on well. I actually don't even need a new phone. But contemplating giving this to my 15 year old soon.

That brings up the topic of what phone. I love smooth jitter free phones. I have been oogling a lot at the curved display phones. Members who have used curved display phones - any feedback on the display itself? It is as good as it looks?

My budget is around 40k preferably, can extend if really worth it. It appears that curved display phones are all over 60k upwards, hence the question of whether they are worth it. Since I always wanted to get one with such a screen, i was considering phones like mi ultra, OnePlus 9 pro, OnePlus 8 pro etc. Ultimately it seemed like I am paying over 15k more just for the screen else I could have simply bought the OnePlus 9rt/Samsung s21fe/mi 9t pro etc - all in the 40 to 45k range.

So do members who have curved screen really feel like it's great to have?
Old 24th January 2022, 11:25   #31242

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
That brings up the topic of what phone. I love smooth jitter free phones. I have been oogling a lot at the curved display phones. Members who have used curved display phones - any feedback on the display itself? It is as good as it looks?

So do members who have curved screen really feel like it's great to have?
I recently upgraded from Samsung S7 edge which had curved edges. The curved display looks quite a stunner, even more on an amoled display. But the difficult part is protecting it. One has to get curved screen protector which are hard to find plus being curved at the edges, the longevity is not good. Also you need to get special phone cases with almost minimal side protection to show off that curves . The curved display just add to the aesthetical value with the added problem of protecting the already expensive phone because if the phone falls, the first thing to break will be the curved edges . Apart from this, I also faced occasional wrong touch /input while holding the phone due to curved edges.
navigator_ravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:15   #31243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator_ravi View Post
I recently upgraded from Samsung S7 edge which had curved edges. The curved display looks quite a stunner, even more on an amoled display. But the difficult part is protecting it. One has to get curved screen protector which are hard to find plus being curved at the edges, the longevity is not good. Also you need to get special phone cases with almost minimal side protection to show off that curves . The curved display just add to the aesthetical value with the added problem of protecting the already expensive phone because if the phone falls, the first thing to break will be the curved edges . Apart from this, I also faced occasional wrong touch /input while holding the phone due to curved edges.
I haven't used phones with curved displays, but Android flagships seem to go the curved route. Apart from aesthetics is there anything useful with a curved display? I know it makes the phone narrower, so it would be easier to hold. But what happens to images and text in the edges? Do they distort? I know they have come a long way from when Samsung had an edge phone (which had a prominent edge) to the S9 and S10 where the curve became much smaller. And I have read about the Nokia 8 sirocco which had a prominent color shift at the curved parts. Sounds like a lot of drawbacks for what seems essentially a gimmick.

And it is interesting that Apple hasn't embraced curved displays just yet.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:43   #31244
Senior - BHPian

I am using the Galaxy S9 currently and this curved screen is really a bummer. Its not fun to use. I don't get who in his or her right mind thought the first time that a curved screen would be a good idea! The flat screens are more practical. Less accidental touches. Easy to put a screen guard or a tempered glass for protection. And curved screens have distortion along the edges.

I'd much prefer flat screens. Hopefully this is short lived fad and phone makers stop this. Good that Apple has not followed this unnecessary fad.
joslicx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 06:18   #31245
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Hence decided to come back to android. Not interest to spend more than 30k. I do not take many pictures, so camera is not that important. I also do not game.

Only requirement is an excellent screen and super smooth OS.
What do you suggest?
I think you don't need to spend more than 20k for those requirements. Check out the Motorola G71.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed