Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 10:15   #31246
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I am using the Galaxy S9 currently and this curved screen is really a bummer. Its not fun to use. I don't get who in his or her right mind thought the first time that a curved screen would be a good idea! The flat screens are more practical. Less accidental touches. Easy to put a screen guard or a tempered glass for protection. And curved screens have distortion along the edges.

I'd much prefer flat screens. Hopefully this is short lived fad and phone makers stop this. Good that Apple has not followed this unnecessary fad.
This is the exact reason that I decided to with the Normal Pixel 6 rather than the 6 Pro. I hate curved screens ever since I had the top of the line Samsung S7. Curved screens also have a major issue with thinner sided cases. I dont like using screen protectors and prefer a case with a slight lip to protect the screen.

If one is to buy a phone keeping the cameras in mind, I dont think you can do better than a pixel in the android world today. Sure, there are many top end android phones which have a lot of extra features like 10X zoom and whatnot, but for pictures of people, I have not come across anything better than the Pixel.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 11:06   #31247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
This is the exact reason that I decided to with the Normal Pixel 6 rather than the 6 Pro.
Yes pixel6 is a good choice. Although what I gather from youtubers is that the SW is getting progressively worse. Hopefully Google can fix it soon.

Unfortunately for us in India, Google didn't feel we are good enough for their latest pixels. Even the humble 5a is missing here. That would have been the perfect phone for me as my requirements are rather modest only - good enough camera and battery. I know that imported units of these phones are available on Amazon but i don't want to buy an unsupported phone.
Old 26th January 2022, 10:50   #31248
Team-BHP Support

Recommendation needed for a reliable USB C (both ends) cable and adapter combo for the Pixel 4a. Spec sheet says it's USB PD 2.0 @ 18W.
Old 26th January 2022, 11:37   #31249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Kind of a rant. I am facing phone choosing fatigue.

Went through this purchase headache 5-6 months back for myself and finally purchased the S20FE-The timing was also good as I got it in the 37-38K price range.

Now need to upgrade my wife's phone and the same dilemma. Upgrade is from a 3 year old MiA2 and keeping requirements in mind-Anything from 15k would service the purpose.
The manufacturers along with the Flipkarts and Amazons of the world randomly increase/decrease prices, discounts, cashbacks etc.
Quote:
To add more confusion into the mix, I see the Xiaomi 11T Pro 5G has launched today at 39,999 with some great offers including a INR 5000 extra on exchange. So this means I get INR 9000+ on the 3 year MI A2 and makes it an effective price of 30k. Specs seem top of the line including the SDG 888.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Get the Mi 11T Pro. Eyes closed. I've tried it out at a store. Its a solid device and built to a high standard. The brands best to date.

Bigger battery
Dolby Vision Support (Don't know how this matters on a phone)
Harman Kardon speakers
1 tele photo lens
Gorilla Glass Victus
Aluminum frame
>1 billion color display

Some other smaller though not significant improvements
120 watt charging versus 33watt.
So finally went ahead with the Mi 11T Pro Hypercharge. First took a decision to stick to a budget of max 40K. Once that was done, from the new phones it really narrowed down to the new Oneplus RT and the 11T Pro. Did not prefer the other Oneplus models available in the range after discounts and of course, probably the best choice in the segment-the S20FE was not considered because I already have it.

Since the requirements were modest, the final vote went to 11T Pro due to 3 reasons.
  • The top of line specs (at least on paper) including the SD 888
  • The best in class 120W Hypercharge, that can fully charge in 20-30 min. Felt this was a nice to have feature.
  • Mostly importantly, what finally tilted the balance was the exchange offer. There is an extra INR 5000 off above the exchange value determined as per the phone. As mentioned above, was exchanging a 2.5 year old Mi A2. This was not a popular phone and it was still valued at INR 4050, with the additional exchange, the exchange discount was INR 9050. When I bought this phone nearly 3 year back, I paid INR 9999. I have no idea why I was getting so much, but getting back the actual cost after nearly 3 years was hard to ignore. Plus there was the standard 5% ICICI Amazon Pay Credit Card cashback through points.

So net net, got the phone around INR32k which I felt was a great deal for this phone, especially considering the equivalent competition.

Initial impressions are good so far.
Rajeevraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 11:58   #31250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Recommendation needed for a reliable USB C (both ends) cable and adapter combo for the Pixel 4a. Spec sheet says it's USB PD 2.0 @ 18W.
Did the original one go bad? If not you could could go with the OE one itself.

My 3a OE charger is well into the 3rd year and is in good condition.
Old 26th January 2022, 12:13   #31251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Did the original one go bad? If not you could could go with the OE one itself...
No, just need a spare.

Where can I find genuine ones? Google Store India is just a glorified advertisement page.
Old 26th January 2022, 12:32   #31252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, just need a spare.

Where can I find genuine ones? Google Store India is just a glorified advertisement page.
They have tie up with Flipkart to sell their goods. I found this OE one but it sure is expensive.

Take a look at this Google G1000-IN 18 W 3.6 A Mobile Charger with Detachable Cable on Flipkart
https://dl.flipkart.com/s/ObMuQENNNN

Maybe you should get the following pair of items which have good reviews on Amazon:

Limited-time deal: Portronics Adapto 62 USB Wall Adapter Without Cable 2.4A Fast Charging Single USB Port for All iOS & Android Devices (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08XXK9NB7/...DMRV4K8FJQKS23

The above adaptor is rated at 2.4A which is less than the 3.6A of the OE charger. A little slow to charge the phone but will keep the battery in good health.

AmazonBasics USB Type-C to USB-A 2.0 Male Cable - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters) - Black https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01GGKYKQM/...2N8BCKJ9EBDH0N

I have this type C cable in my car for charging/Android auto. Working well for past 2 years.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th January 2022 at 12:34.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 13:13   #31253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
... I found this OE one but it sure is expensive...
Will hold off a bit to see if there are any discounts.

Not inclined to get more generic slower ones, already have a spare OnePlus brick & cables for that.
Old 26th January 2022, 17:21   #31254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Rationale - I was not impressed with the photo qualities of the iPhone 12 Pro max, which my friend uses, for the price it asks for. I was totally underwhelmed by my Samsung S9 capabilities as well.
Interesting perspective, kindly do share your feedback after a few weeks of ownership. I am sitting on the fence with Mi 11T Pro on my Wishlist.

Quote:
As mentioned above, was exchanging a 2.5 year old Mi A2. This was not a popular phone and it was still valued at INR 4050, with the additional exchange, the exchange discount was INR 9050. When I bought this phone nearly 3 year back, I paid INR 9999. I have no idea why I was getting so much, but getting back the actual cost after nearly 3 years was hard to ignore. Plus there was the standard 5% ICICI Amazon Pay Credit Card cashback through points.
I think those are just offers to make it convincing for the buyer. Xiaomi realizes that there would be not many takers at that MRP. I am guessing they will continue the offers beyond 31.Jan.22 as well in some form or the other to ensure the sales keep moving.
Old 28th January 2022, 08:02   #31255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initial impressions are good so far.
Wow! That got to you really fast.
A note on charging. If you can drop the power for charging to something like 33 watt or in that range, I'd recommend doing so to extend the life off that battery. These ultra fast chargers are great but frequently charging the battery at this warp speed is likely to reduce battery life. You'll notice this maybe >2 or 3 years down the line, by which time you may well replace the phone.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 14:01   #31256

Quote:
Will hold off a bit to see if there are any discounts.

Not inclined to get more generic slower ones, already have a spare OnePlus brick & cables for that.
Try this one --> https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-EP-TA8...23&sr=8-3&th=1

I have been using this charger with my Pixel 6 for close to a month now. It is a PD 3.0 25W charger.

Note: Never tried a empty to full charge time check
Old 28th January 2022, 20:16   #31257
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer016 View Post
Only requirement is an excellent screen and super smooth OS.
What do you suggest?
Tell you what, the Micromax IN Note 2 at Rs.11490 (with Citi card discount on Flipkart) looks extreme value for money. Check out these features:

- Glass build
- Amoled display
- Big battery with reasonably fast charging for the price
- Headphone jack
- Stock android (clean software without bloatware and ads)
- Good processor for the price
- UFS 2.1 high speed storage
- Dedicated memory card slot

I think this could be perfect for your requirements at one third of your budget. The only thing missing is 5G, which is pretty much a hype as of now.

Last edited by Oxy : 28th January 2022 at 20:28.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 14:08   #31258
BHPian

My Redmi Note 8 pro has started giving me troubles, today morning I woke up to find my phone in the reboot mode and it was moderately hot ! Somehow managed to get it running but then suddenly it's battery dropped down and it went into reboot mode. Left it on charging and now the phone seems to be working fine. I'm in confusion whether to repair this phone ( a battery replacement maybe ?) or hold on it for few months and get the Pixel 6, when it launches.
If the current phone dies on me, I'd have to buy any Android phone under 20k ₹ so I'm seeking suggestions from you.

My primary requirements are -
Good Quality screen having refresh rate ( AMOLED, LCD whichever is better)
Decent battery backup.
I don't play any games on mobile, neither I'm an expert photographer so can compromise on the processor/camera aspects.
I'm open to any brands, except Redmi/Mi cause I've been using these phones for over 6 years and would like some change !
Old 29th January 2022, 14:40   #31259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
If the current phone dies on me, I'd have to buy any Android phone under 20k ₹ so I'm seeking suggestions from you.

I'm open to any brands, except Redmi/Mi cause I've been using these phones for over 6 years and would like some change !
You can look at the Realme 8i or the newly launched Realme 9i. Both are pretty decent specs for the money which is in the range of 16k for the 6gb versions. Realme is also a BBK company like OnePlus, oppo and Vivo and they are currently good value phones.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:12   #31260
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys,

Please help. I am a HUGE voice typing guy and the voice typing on my S9 worked like a charm (like 98% accuracy). However, ever since I moved to the Flip, the voice typing is horrible (50% accuracy).

Guessing this is to do with some settings? Further, I remember downloading an "offline file" from Google for voice typing when the network is poor, but I don't see the option for that anymore?

Here are some screenshots if insightful. Thanks in advance !

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20220130-11.09.30.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20220130-11.09.04.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2022 at 11:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks