Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 12:11   #31336
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I bought a Google pixel 4a 6 months back from Flipkart. Two weeks back, the phone started rebooting randomly and getting hot in normal or no use at all. Assuming it may be because of a rogue app, I reset the mobile. Then everything was working except for the sound.

So after talking to the rep sent to their Mumbai service centre. On the same day, intimated of rejection of warranty and a quote of 29k for a replacement device. Reason, liquid damage. The only proof for that is some pictures.

The cost I paid for the mobile is 5k less than their repair bill. So rejected the quote and asked them to send the mobile back so that I can use it as a camera. As I can buy another pixel and keep the old one too which is not there if I accept the replacement.

The reply that came back is, since I rejected the repair, the mobile may not be returned in the same state as I shipped.

Now waiting to see whether it boots at least when I get it back.

So, whether you buy a mobile from redmi or Google, end result will be same. I just hope honor start selling their mobiles again in India. My wife's earlier honor 8x pro has withstood rough usage and multiple drops for more than two years. My current 9xpro will be completing 15 months of similar usage this month.
A mobile costing twice did not survive careful usage of six months ��

Last edited by girishv : 14th March 2022 at 12:16.
girishv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 12:17   #31337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
This is a massive deal breaker for me. I will stick to a midrange Samsung or Moto.

Thanks a ton for helping me with the decision.
It might not happen with every Pixel but I thought I will mention my problem. However if you look at past Google devices, almost every one of them was plagued with issues of varying severity. The Pixel 6 duo also has lot of bugs.

I will be going back to Galaxy device next year. For me, Samsung android is the de-facto Android device and not Google. Funny how Samsung has bolstered its position and pushes out consistently great phones over the years. Even the software which used to be horrible mess of too many colors and duplicate software has come a long way. My 3 year old S10 devices are pretty good even now and current software on them is just neat.
Only consolation is the lower entry price for Pixel 6 while having flagship level hardware.
Old 14th March 2022, 12:49   #31338
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm, I was slowly warming to the idea of a Pixel phone within the next year or so. Now I'm cooling. I've actually never yet had a hardware problem with much cheaper phones!
Old 14th March 2022, 14:24   #31339
Senior - BHPian

Good call. This is my second Google phone, the first one being Nexus 6P. That also had its share of the problems but the way heated up like a furnace shadowed everything else and of course the terrible battery life. Very early on it would just get stuck in DND mode and refuse to connect to network, thankfully it was fixed pretty fast.
One day it slipped my hand and the large Mandalorian helmet visor thingy on the back that housed the camera broke. I took that as an omen and never repaired the damn thing. Years later, another '6' device and problems continue. I'm done with Google phones now.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 17:14   #31340
Oxy
BHPian

Yeah, the Moto Edge X30 Pro seems to offer an identical experience software wise and camera capabilities aside, the hardware seems to be good as well. Might really be worth a shot.
Old 15th March 2022, 13:59   #31341
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday when I went to watch Batman at CityWalk, Samsung store was next to it. Checked out all models. I simply loved Ultra, the camera is brilliant and as I have big hands it didnt looked out of place. Plus that burgandy color is beautiful. But, 1.10 for it just doesn't agrees with me. S22 looked quite small for me. They didn't had S22+ in display so couldnt check it out.

Me and wife both are looking to replace phones but we are so habitual of our Samsung's we just don't want to venture any other brand. I am keeping my hope for a good A73 launch on 17th. Btw, S20 FE is such a steal at 35k. S21FE didnt looked like a major upgrade for 19k more.
Old 15th March 2022, 16:40   #31342
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Yesterday when I went to watch Batman at CityWalk, Samsung store was next to it. Checked out all models. I simply loved Ultra, the camera is brilliant and as I have big hands it didnt looked out of place. Plus that burgandy color is beautiful. But, 1.10 for it just doesn't agrees with me. S22 looked quite small for me. They didn't had S22+ in display so couldnt check it out.

Me and wife both are looking to replace phones but we are so habitual of our Samsung's we just don't want to venture any other brand. I am keeping my hope for a good A73 launch on 17th. Btw, S20 FE is such a steal at 35k. S21FE didnt looked like a major upgrade for 19k more.
Why don't you get the S20 FE itself?

The A73 is not going to cost anything less than 35k at launch, heck even the A52s launched at 36k some six months ago. Considering the price, the S20 FE makes the most sense unless you can manage with the cheaper M or F series Samsungs.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 09:24   #31343
BHPian

Looking for a phone.Budget is 10k.
REQUIREMENTS
Good Camera and whatsapp.

Thanks,
Old 19th March 2022, 09:44   #31344
BHPian

I have this strange issue with my Samsung A52, that when ever I take it off the trouser pocket, the voice recorder would have got activated. I have tried searching every setting and NOT able to figure out, what is causing the recorder to get activated. BTW, I have enabled the 'accidental touch protection' in display settings.

Does any here have a clue about the same?
Old 19th March 2022, 12:45   #31345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Why don't you get the S20 FE itself?

The A73 is not going to cost anything less than 35k at launch, heck even the A52s launched at 36k some six months ago. Considering the price, the S20 FE makes the most sense unless you can manage with the cheaper M or F series Samsungs.
+1
And S20FE is available for some more discounts on Corporate website ~33-35k.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 13:25   #31346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hmmm, I was slowly warming to the idea of a Pixel phone within the next year or so. Now I'm cooling. I've actually never yet had a hardware problem with much cheaper phones!
I'm very happy with my Samsung S10+. I think I've loaded it with more than 500 apps and don't notice any performance problems - it could be that Android itself has successfully implemented features that optimize the performance, but I've not found it necessary to install any third-party apps to manage the apps. I also use the Island app to run another profile completely separate from the main apps. Also, I've not bothered to even look at custom ROMS for my S10+, and considering that I normally root my phones within a month or two after purchasing them, it's quite a change.

So yes, I'm pleased with Samsung and it's Android implementation, and I recommend them to anyone who cares to listen .
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 05:22   #31347
Oxy
BHPian

Are any of you here facing quick battery draining issues on the Snapdragon Samsungs, such as the S20 FE, A52s and M52?

My A52s gives me screen in time of about 4.5 hours. No rogue background apps. Screen brightness is set to about 40%, refresh rate 60hz. Not sure what is the problem here.

Last edited by Oxy : 20th March 2022 at 05:28.
Old 20th March 2022, 08:24   #31348
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone have any idea on the Nokia XR20.

Especially the camera.

The phone seems to be an extreme device with regard to its strength and durability.
Old 20th March 2022, 09:08   #31349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
But the speakerphone/mic is a big issue - it basically means you can't have group phone calls. The phone is not officially serviced in India so I am thinking what to do. They constantly roll out system updates so may be in one of those it will be fixed.
I have a pixel 6 which runs Feb 5th security update. Its not my personal phone, given by my company for R&D so my usage is not very extensive. I tried reproducing your issue and I did not face any issue. You have mentioned you have tried everything, still I suggest, go to "phone application" settings and enable permission to access mic, if not already done. Pixel 6 has widget to enable/disable mic permission, monitor that when you turn on speaker during call. You could also try using different phone application.

I like pixel 6 too but the camera design which protrudes from rest of the body impedes wireless charging in my car. So I might not buy one for personal use.
Old 20th March 2022, 11:00   #31350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Hmm. I have Pixel 6. It is a mixed experience. It has a strange issue where if you put a call on speakerphone, mic stops working.
Turn off 'hey-google' voice detection and then check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks