Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2022, 14:25   #31381
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
That being the case, [b]in spite of its demerits, does One Plus Nord CE 2 5 G seem to be a good pick at 16k?
OnePlus is the wrong choice if you are seeking value. Stick to the Chinese duo of Xiaomi and Realme/iQOO.

In Amazon, there is the MI11x going for an extra 5K exchange discount plus a 1-2K card discount which make it 16K effectively.

Also you can have an iQOO 9SE for 22K after discounts and exchange.

And the MI 11 lite 5G can be had for 12K with your Redmi in exchange and a HDFC card.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 14:40   #31382
BHPian

I have been using Huawei nova 7 5G for a year now. It doesn't have google framework. Few work around to get google framework on Huawei nova 7 5G was tried, however with every OS update, it used to get plugged by Huawei.

Yesterday moved to Xiomi 11 Lite 8GB RAM 256GB 5G NE - Global Version.

Now, i am 'not able to transfer Whatsapp (important) and other related applications, photos and videos from Huawei nova 7 5G ( no google framework) to Xiomi 11 Lite 8GB RAM 256GB 5G NE - Global.

I have tried cloning app from Huwaei, Xiomi and third party app like Clone it etc. But handset doesn't recognize each other.

Doing it manually is very slow and non preferred as well, size of watchstrap folder - 20 GB while other files is 60GB+.

Any words of wisdom to resolve this situation?
Old 24th March 2022, 14:45   #31383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
... I still think that for a clean software experience OP is still the one to go for.
That's the thing. OxygenOS is no longer 'clean' and 'just works'.

My primary phone is a Pixel on Android 12, and backup a OnePlus 7T on the last stable Android 10 release it got. When the Pixel went it for repairs recently, I could shift seamlessly to the 7T, barring the obvious size difference and a few minor UI differences. Re-authenticated SIM dependent apps and I was ready to go in 10 mins.

OnePlus' Android 11 rollout was and continues to be a disaster, and they aren't doing much better with Android 12, if reports from 9 & more recently 8 Series adopters are anything to go by. They've promised to go back to classic OxygenOS UI with Android 13, but that's too far into the future and current-day mid-rangers may not even be eligible when it arrives.

It's best to get a device for what it is, not what it can be, and OnePlus is a hard sell right now with their messed up approach to OS.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th March 2022 at 16:23. Reason: Word
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 19:06   #31384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That's the thing. OxygenOS is no longer 'clean' and 'just works'.
By clean, if you mean near-stock Android experience, yes, it is far from "clean". But then the original OxygenOS wasn't clean either. It had OnePlus custom apps for everything including dialer and messages. What I mean by clean is, the absence of junk apps that cannot be uninstalled. Compared to OneUI, MIUI, RealmeUI etc, the colorOS based OS in OP is still relatively clean. So it is any day better than the others out there.

If clean, near stock Android is a priority, then Motorola is the only real option available. You have to put up with the slow updates, though. Am really enjoying my Edge 20 after the initial hiccups with touchscreen issues. The Edge 30 pro is receiving rave reviews and at 45K, the SD8 Gen 1 chipset based phone is priced extremely well.

Quote:
They've promised to go back to classic OxygenOS UI with Android 13, but that's too far into the future and current-day mid-rangers may not even be eligible when it arrives.
I saw a couple of reviews of the OP10 on youtube and they were saying that they are back to OxygenOS in the OP10. Hope they carry that forward to all their devices.

Last edited by civic-sense : 24th March 2022 at 19:08.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 07:57   #31385
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
If clean, near stock Android is a priority, then Motorola is the only real option available. You have to put up with the slow updates, though. Am really enjoying my Edge 20 after the initial hiccups with touchscreen issues. The Edge 30 pro is receiving rave reviews and at 45K, the SD8 Gen 1 chipset based phone is priced extremely well.
With the Edge 30 Pro, Motorola have promised 3 major Android version upgrades along with 4 years of security updates as well. But the Snapdragon 8 gen 1 on it is a concern. I don't want my phone to heat up during even normal day to day operations.

How is the battery life on the Edge 20? I liked it's form factor and was also considering the Mi 11 Lite NE 5G, but skipped those due to their puny sized batteries. There is an Moto Edge 30 supposed to be coming soon and that might be something I would take a plunge on in all probability if the price is right. Also, if the Samsung A33 comes in at a decent price, but again it comes with an Exynos chipset. Samsung M53, well again not too sure. Flipkart now has a teaser for the Nothing Phone (1) as well.

This seems really tedious. As @Rajeevraj had said earlier in this thread, I am suffering from the phone choosing fatigue as well.
Old 25th March 2022, 13:02   #31386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
With the Edge 30 Pro, Motorola have promised 3 major Android version upgrades along with 4 years of security updates as well. But the Snapdragon 8 gen 1 on it is a concern. I don't want my phone to heat up during even normal day to day operations.
All Snapdragons starting from the 888 have heating issues. If you want something stable, you have to fall back to SD870. That was the primary reason I selected the MI11X for my kid's games. Edge 20 pro has the 870 and is quite lightweight for what it offers (big battery, periscope camera, glass back, metal frame etc.
Quote:
How is the battery life on the Edge 20?
I don't face any issues as I stay at home and charges whenever I get a chance. I had the OnePlus 7 earlier, and compared to that this can go on to last a full day. Rather than the battery, I think you should be concerned more about the plasticky build quality, single crappy speaker and the so-so camera quality.
Quote:
I liked it's form factor and was also considering the Mi 11 Lite NE 5G, but skipped those due to their puny sized batteries.
I had bought the Mi 11 Lite 4G before the edge 20, and it looks and feels much more premium than the edge 20. The speakers are much better (and stereo too - something to consider if you are gaming), photos are better and feels very light in the hand. But between the 11 Lite and Edge 20, I'd pick the Edge 20 for the stock Android experience. MIUI is too heavy and feels very crowded.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 13:42   #31387
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
But between the 11 Lite and Edge 20, I'd pick the Edge 20 for the stock Android experience. MIUI is too heavy and feels very crowded.
Thanks. Interestingly, the 11 Lite 5g appears to be the only phone from the Xiaomi stable that has the company's commitment for next 3 Android version upgrades along with 4 years of security updates. So it might lead to superior software experience compared to the MIUI that is usually available in the budget Redmi and Poco devices.
Old 25th March 2022, 16:56   #31388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
go to "phone application" settings and enable permission to access mic, if not already done. Pixel 6 has widget to enable/disable mic permission, monitor that when you turn on speaker during call. You could also try using different phone application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Turn off 'hey-google' voice detection and then check.
Tried these tips, no dice. Mic goes dead once speakerphone is turned on. The mic widget does not change the status too when I turn on the speaker. Phone has all the latest s/w.
Old 26th March 2022, 10:55   #31389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
On your Android phone goto

Wifi & Internet > Private DNS

Here by default it without be automatic. Select Private DNS provider hostname, type in the below and save.

dns.adguard.com

Worked for me and I have done the same with rest of the Android phones at home
Hello, thanks, this seem to have worked, hope there will not be any security issues.
Old 26th March 2022, 17:19   #31390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post

Now even if I get it fixed under warranty wont the same issue happen again after sometime?
On a feedback call with B2X, they mentioned the part has been revised to avoid the issue recurring, but they didn't offer any specifics.

No way to really tell except wait and watch, of course.
Old 27th March 2022, 17:51   #31391
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I now realise why people don't upgrade phones that often. I traded in my perfectly fine S9 for 10k (or whatever Samsung offered me) and got the Flip 3. But very frankly, other than the style quotient & flip / fold coolness, there is absolutely nothing this phone offers me over what the S9 did. I'm a sucker for vanity, so am happy with the new phone, but it was really money to burn.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 18:23   #31392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I now realise why people don't upgrade phones that often. I traded in my perfectly fine S9 for 10k (or whatever Samsung offered me) and got the Flip 3.
Big time. The problem is more in the reality that you get peanuts for a perfectly working phone - e-commerce players (Amazon, Flipkart, etc.) make sure your phone is in tip-top condition while eaking out only a few Ks. While on the other hand we end up paying a ransom for a few additional features that hardly do any justice to the additional price one pays.

We seriously lack a proper used mobile market in India. In the US, the market is more mature - one can get a decent price for used phones and there are 3rd party players who assist / play in this area.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 22:14   #31393
BHPian

Long Term Review - Samsung S20FE 5G

Hi folks, I've been using the S20FE 5G for the past 6 months, and thought of sharing my long-term experience here for everyone's benefit.

Background:
I was using a Motorola One Power bought in 2018, for 13.5k INR, prior to this. That turned out to be a solid paisa-vasool purchase, and a joy to use during the 3 long years that I used it for (yes, I do hold onto phones for that long!). I changed it only due to the upgrade itch, and it was a perfectly working phone till the very last day. Being an Android One device, it received 2 OS upgrades (both bug-free) and regular monthly security updates. Never hung, froze or gave up on me. I was so comfortable with stock Android, due to great previous ownership experiences with the Moto G (first gen) and a Redmi Note 3, on which I switched to LineageOS within the first 2 months. Hence, I wanted the next smartphone to similarly last long and perform basic tasks perfectly, while being lag-free. I decided to set a maximum budget of 30k INR.

Choices Considered:
1. All Xiaomi devices were ruled out as I just cannot live with MIUI (no offense to any users, please!), and since I was not interested in flashing custom ROMs anymore (due to the gazillion issues that they pose with banking and work apps).

2. OnePlus, and OxygenOS are no longer what they used to be; enough said. Nord 2 was not even considered due to the various blast reports.

3. Motorola Edge 20 : Reviews were positive and the SD778 seemed to be a gem of an SoC. I had almost finalized on buying one during the Big Billion Day sale after checking for offers. Seemed like the best option.

4. Never considered any Samsung devices initially (A-Series, M-Series, etc) as none of them appealed to me from a VFM perspective.

And then, came the suprise. My former employer, whom I used to work for at that time, gifted me a sizeable sum in the form of Amazon gift cards, along with the annual performance bonus. I decided to put them to good use for my phone purchase, since I had no other impending purchases. However, since the Moto Edge 20 was a Flipkart-exclusive product, for which I could not use the Amazon gift cards, I decided to purchase something else from Amazon. The S20FE 5G was being sold for 35k, and it seemed like a decent deal. The phone also had rave reviews all over for being a sensible all-rounder. Took a leap of faith and went ahead with the purchase. This is the most expensive smartphone that I have ever bought; all my previous phones were sub-15k devices.

My 6-Months User Experience:

Positives:
1. Perfectly sized. Neither too big, nor too small. Not too heavy either.
2. Vibrant Super-AMOLED display with 120Hz refresh rate. I can't even think of going back to a 60Hz LCD display anymore.
3. Practical, useable set of cameras. All three cameras on the rear (main, ultrawide and telephoto) are great and have their own use-cases. No gimmicky depth sensor or macro sensor here. Will definitely satisfy most of the casual photography requirements.
4. OneUI is better than I expected it to be, and a refreshing change after years of using vanilla stock Android. Has a lot of useful features. Some of my favourite features are listed below:
(a) You can configure the Always-On Display to turn on only when you get a notification; so, if AOD is ON, that simply means there is some unread notification and if it's not, then there is no need to pick up to glance at the lock screen. Functions somewhat like the erstwhile notification LED lights that we had in earlier phones.
(b) Ability the schedule automatic restarts to keep the phone running fresh.
(c) Double press power button to activate Torch. I do not miss Motorola's chop-chop gesture for flashlight.
(d) Good Lock modules to add new features.
5. A lot of the preloaded bloatware like Samsung Browser, Samsung Music, few Microsoft Apps, etc are uninstallable. Heck, even the default Calculator and Voice Recorder apps can be uninstalled if you wish.
6. Water resistance.
7. Availability of compatible protective cases from reputed brands like Spigen.

Nothing to write home about (neither good nor bad):
1. Battery life - Decent enough and will last a regular working day if you are a casual user who just does browsing, social media and YouTube streaming. Don't expect anything more out of it.
2. Monthly security updates - Usually rolled out during month ends. I am still on the February security patch as I type this, and March is about to end in a few days. Still, not something I would crib about.
3. Thankfully, no bloatware is being added with OTA updates unlike the M-Series devices.
4. Lack of 3.5mm headphone jack. Not a deal breaker for me as I don't prefer wired headphones nowadays. Might be a deal breaker for someone who has already invested in a high-end wired headphone.

Negatives (the bad stuff):
1. Random UI stutters after the Android 12 update. The notification shade stutters nastily almost everytime I pull down to expand it. Not a pretty sight to see on a premium midrange phone costing upwards of 30k.
2. Crappy fingerprint scanner. This one is utter CRAP, and I literally mean it! This is by far the worst scanner that I have come across. You need to keep your finger on it for a full second for it to even read. The success rate has also been pretty average in my case. Even a slight amount of moisture or dust on your fingertip will cause it to fail. My previous phone was far better than this. I really miss a proper physical fingerprint scanner.
3. Lacks a proper, dedicated proximity sensor. Yes, you heard that right. This premium midrange phone misses something that we take for granted nowadays. I was foolish enough to not know this at the time of purchase. It relies on the front camera to detect ear proximity, and it is a disaster! So many times, I have noticed the screen turning on in the middle of a call, for no reason, even when the phone is properly held against the ear. And many times, I have inadvertently put a call on hold since my cheek touches the Hold button once the screen turns on on its own. I notice this when I don't hear anything from the other side for half a minute. People have yelled at me for putting the call on hold for no reason and for wasting their time. I don't know if it's something wrong with the piece that I got.
4. Charging situation : This is already a well known fact and I won't elaborate too much on this. I bought the phone knowing very well that I will have to deal with long charging times, and so it does not bother me much. I have not bothered to invest on Samsung's "super-fast" 25W charger (which costs a whopping 2k INR to buy separately, by the way), since the time benefit gained isn't huge to justify the absurd price. Hence, I mostly charge overnight with the stock 15W charger. Samsung has the audacity to call this a "fast" charger; I won't comment further. People who are used to blazing fast charging speeds on other premium midrange phones will be disappointed.

Do I regret the purchase?
Not quite. Regret is definitely not the right word, and I still like the phone for its positive qualities. However, I still don't feel fully satisfied with it after stretching my modest original budget and spending 35k on it. It does not feel like it is worth that much once you start using it regularly. I would probably not buy it in 2022 considering that it is still retailing for about the same price that I bought it for. And I really do not foresee myself holding onto this until the three year mark, like I did with my previous phones. I hope I prove myself wrong in this case.

Who should buy this then?
You can definitely consider this if brand value and brand perception matters to you. It is a good "Samsung phone". The Knox security suite, pan-India service centers, 3 years of guaranteed security updates, no annoying/spammy ads, are all additional redeeming qualities. However, if you are open to all brands, there are better options.

Also, for Android enthusiasts/purists looking for a clean Android experience, there is no option available right now on a modest budget, apart from the Motorola Edge series. OxygenOS is gone, Android One is gone, and the next generation Pixel 'A' devices are nowhere in sight here.

Thanks for reading! Happy to answer any other questions regarding the phone as well.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:42   #31394
BHPian

Okay, I am probably going to receive some flak for this, but I haven't really understood the allure for the S20 FE and the 21 FE. Other than the fact that it has a part of its name shared with the Samsung flagships, it is just another midrange phone with yesteryear's chipset, ain't it?

Doesn't the MI 11X or iQOO 7 or Realme GT series offer more for a lot less money? Or do people think that Samsung's OneUI provides enough value to justify difference in price?
dragonfire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:40   #31395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... got the Flip 3...
Does the visible fold line bother you or has it been something that can be gotten used to easily ? I am anyway not someone who watches too many videos on the phone, so how it it for regular phone and internet usage ?

I'm waiting for the Flip 4 which I hope will further improve in this aspect as I've always been a sucker for flip phones !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 28th March 2022 at 12:41.

Most Viewed