Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 10:25   #31741
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Please do a thorough review once you receive it and get acquainted. My only concern is the software that is the OS as coming from One UI from Samsung I am not sure how good funtouch OS will be. Otherwise specs are best under 50k imo.
yes. I was having two thoughts yesterday about cancelling my order because of Funtouch UI as I would be switching from Oxygen OS. But then I watched some videos where we can remove many of their bloatwares like browser etc using ADB. Hence I decided to stick with the order. They haven't even dispatched the order for me btw.

Last edited by ottocycle : 8th August 2022 at 10:26.
ottocycle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 22:34   #31742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
BTW, what is Samsung store doing in a custom ROM?
As I said, have NOT installed the custom ROM. Obviously, the custom ROM shouldn't carry these 'proprietary' stores.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:47   #31743
BHPian

Ban on low end Chinese phones?

India likely to ban Chinese companies from selling smartphones under Rs 12,000

Quote:
In another blow to Chinese companies, the Indian government is reportedly considering restricting Chinese smartphone manufacturers from selling phones under Rs 12,000 or $150. The idea is possibly to push homegrown companies like Lava, Micromax, among others. Chinese smartphone manufacturers currently dominate the budget smartphone segment or the under Rs 15,000 price segment with some share garnered by Samsung and a few other non-Chinese companies.
Link

I'm all for make in India, but then I saw this:

Quote:
There are rumours that the Jio Phone 5G price in India could be anywhere between Rs 9,000 to Rs 12,000.
Link 1, Link 2

Coincidence?
GeneralJazz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:13   #31744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Coincidence?
If it were then the news would have meant that the GoI was planning to take away a third of the supply in a market where demand is constant or increasing - leading to detrimental impact (job losses, drop in tax revenue, black marketing, fraud/scam opportunities...). Hopefully there is sufficient attention on the capabilities of alternate, home-grown producers so that the supply gap is quickly filled.
Old 9th August 2022, 11:23   #31745
BHPian

Quote:
I'm all for make in India, but then I saw this:

Link 1, Link 2

Coincidence?
And then there might be an Adani phone coming too.
dragonfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:45   #31746
Senior - BHPian

This country is becoming a Ban incoming any time for anything country at a really fast pace. Ban this, ban that and after each ban we can see a selected few reaping the benefits of that ban. What has become of freedom of choice and less said about freedom of speech the better.

My mother is using a Realme phone since last year which I bought for just 10k. It has everything she needs and never lags or gives any trouble. She only watches youtube, make calls and a little bit of WhatsApp. Now why will she buy a Lava or a Micromax or a jio or whatever when she gets good hardware and decent software for that price already. This is an absolute ridiculous ban if it comes to effect.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 12:03   #31747
Senior - BHPian

Lava, Micromax, and all were Chinese clones anyway. They were just buying bulk from china, changing the box, and marking up prices. When the Chinese directly entered, naturally they folded because they were selling substandard quality at higher prices. I am sure, the Jio phone will also be a copycat of some Chinese phones.

If such a ban comes on, the only losers are the consumers. Chinese will still have their market. Ambani will make some more money from the mark-up over the Chinese phones. Our entry-level phone consumers will be robbed of a couple of thousands of rupees per phone. I hate to believe that our government is directly helping the capitalists, but sometimes that is the only logical conclusion.
padmrajravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 16:54   #31748
BHPian

Quote:

Coincidence?
The right word is "chronology". Coincidences are so old-fashioned when it comes to the current state of our public policies.
anivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 11:12   #31749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
This country is becoming a Ban incoming any time for anything country at a really fast pace. Ban this, ban that and after each ban we can see a selected few reaping the benefits of that ban. What has become of freedom of choice and less said about freedom of speech the better.

My mother is using a Realme phone since last year which I bought for just 10k. It has everything she needs and never lags or gives any trouble. She only watches Youtube, make calls and a little bit of WhatsApp. Now why will she buy a Lava or a Micromax or a jio or whatever when she gets good hardware and decent software for that price already. This is an absolute ridiculous ban if it comes to effect.
Saw this a few days back. Maybe this is the source of the ban process starting off. But maybe larger things at play as well

Having said all of this, we have the best of breed when it comes to software development. I am sure if some efforts are taken, we can have the best of hardware manufacturers as well. So, why cant we produce quality products ? Is it just the case of the market economics at play
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:21   #31750
BANNED

The Android eco system is so mired in software patents. A third party software developer is insulated. It is the brand that markets the hardware that bears the brunt of litigation threats.

My suspicion is that Micromax and Lava folded up under the demands of software royalties from Microsoft.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 10th August 2022 at 14:22.
Old 10th August 2022, 14:59   #31751
BHPian

Quote:
Ban on low end Chinese phones?
India likely to ban Chinese companies from selling smartphones under Rs 12,000
Absolutely happy with this decision whenever it takes place.
Time for Indian brands to rise up again. Safer to use in terms of data privacy, Opportunity for new jobs, Research etc.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 17:28   #31752

In the market for a secondary phone with camera being priority. The budget is around 45k. The primary phone is an iPhone. Any contenders other than pixel 6a? Any reviews of the camera setup of IQOO 9T
Old 11th August 2022, 20:47   #31753
BANNED

Got my Galaxy S21 FE today. The delivery through Bluedart took a day longer than usual. Send the disagree with the Post office on what the PIN code of my location is. (minor issue). It will take a couple of days before I get around to putting the SIM in it. What stuck me was this is logo on the cover. For once, felt happy at not having to look at the US and EU regulatory logos.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20220811135219_photos.jpg
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 15:31   #31754
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisekkhanna View Post
In the market for a secondary phone with camera being priority. The budget is around 45k. The primary phone is an iPhone. Any contenders other than pixel 6a? Any reviews of the camera setup of IQOO 9T
You can probably check out the Vivo X80, though it overshoots your budget by around 6k.
Old 14th August 2022, 02:09   #31755

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisekkhanna View Post
In the market for a secondary phone with camera being priority. The budget is around 45k.
Just for the record, I ordered a pixel 6. Now awaiting delivery.

Most Viewed