Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 20:07   #31786
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Choosing a new Android phone in the sea of Android phones available in our market is a daunting task. There are just so many options yet there is no "perfectly balanced" phone available
Completely agree here. I bought a Realme X50 Pro 5G in 2020 at an absolute bargain price of ₹24,000/-. It ticks all the right boxes for me. I intend to hold on to it for as long as possible. Nowadays, when I look out for an all rounder phone under ₹25,000/-. There are hardly a few phones available
Old 28th August 2022, 21:14   #31787
BHPian

I forgot to add few more important requirements in my earlier post. So let me put the requirements again in descending order of priority.
1. Camera (Simple and functional camera setup for pictures mostly)
2. Performance (Gaming is rare, I don't like stressing the processor and battery with heavy games but would prefer an upgrade over my current Snapdragon 835)
3. Decently Future Proof (5G support, OS and Security updates for at-least 2 years)
4. Battery life (Should last at-least a day with moderate usage, fast charging would be great. Not a fan of wireless charging though)
5. Simple, sturdy and compact design (Fingerprint scanner, minimal bezels with minimal rear cameras and not too big to hold, would prefer same size or smaller than my current OP5T. Don't prefer fancy stuff (Nothing 1) or glass back gimmick since I will be using a case anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsiva View Post
Completely agree here. I bought a Realme X50 Pro 5G in 2020 at an absolute bargain price of ₹24,000/-.
That sounds like a great bargain when I compare it to current price of the model. I love it when we get good phones at great prices unlike the many overpriced flagships.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 23:37   #31788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Ashvek, since you are an currently using an iPhone you are the perfect person (for a iPhone user) to give your impression on the Fold 4. Please elaborate on your feel of the Fold 4. Fluidity, switching between apps and overall feel in the hand, both with it in the closed position and open.
Cyborg , I didn't quite use the phone extensively, but had barely for like 10-15 mins. Hence, I wouldn't quite justify on this front. Having said that, whatever time I had the phone it did feel quite good. I mean the opening / closing of apps was seamless, their switching was fluid. The main cameras were good, but I didn't find them in the league of the latest iPhones like the 13 series. There's another selfie cam 'under' the screen when you unfold. Sadly, it's quite underwhelming though.

Apart from this, it's a usual Samsung UI stuff which to me looked quite good. The last Samsung phone I had was the Galaxy S3 . So, the One UI is day & night difference for sure.

To me, this phone is for those who indulge more into the content creation or viewing stuff. I mean the phone when un-folded opens up a HUGE screen which is great for watching videos / movies. Other than this, when in regular folded mode it looks like any other phone; thickness aside.

With regards to the size when held, this phone is BIG. Even when folded is does keep you reminding that your holding a big phone. This to me is a bit of a downer personally, as I don't like thick / huge phones.

Overall, it surely adds to the oomph factor of your handheld device which I feel no other phone currently in the market can match. Flip 4 comes a close second.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 28th August 2022 at 23:40.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 10:52   #31789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsiva View Post
I intend to hold on to it for as long as possible. Nowadays, when I look out for an all rounder phone under ₹25,000/-. There are hardly a few phones available
Its already 2 years old model, so updates would be hard to come by. When you get fed up of waiting for updates you would want to buy a new phone.

Don't get me wrong, its a great phone and there was a time I too wanted to buy one. Every time I buy a new Android I think that I've finally got the one I had been waiting for and I'd keep it for ever. But then after a year or two I get fed up waiting for updates and go buy another phone.

My iPhone 6S (secondary phone) still rocks the latest update and the primary reason why I still haven't upgraded to a modern iPhone.

ps: Just a rant.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 12:31   #31790
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
It's already a 2-year-old model, so updates would be hard to come by. When you get fed up with waiting for updates, you would want to buy a new phone.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone, and there was a time I, too, wanted to buy one. Every time I buy a new Android, I think I've finally got the one I had been waiting for, and I'll keep it forever. But after a year or two, I get fed up waiting for updates and buy another phone.

My iPhone 6S (secondary phone) still rocks the latest update, and the primary reason why I still haven't upgraded to a modern iPhone.

PS: Just a rant.
I'm on Android 12, and most probably, my phone won't get Android 13, but I am content with it. I have an old LG G4 still in working condition and a year-old LG Wing besides an old iPhone 8, which I barely use, so although I possess multiple phones, I will hold on to them as long as possible.

Last edited by navin : 29th August 2022 at 12:59.
krsiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 22:27   #31791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Ban on low end Chinese phones?

India likely to ban Chinese companies from selling smartphones under Rs 12,000

Clarification issued on not having any such plan :

https://wap.business-standard.com/ar...2901031_1.html

So, was the earlier news a ploy to push sales of old stock of low end Chinese phones to the gullible during the recent 'freedom sales'? Anyone's guess.
Fx14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 09:17   #31792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
What is the best way to get a Pixel 6 Pro in India? Buy in the US and handcarry it with someone coming?
Yes, that's the best way. I got it through my cousin who works at Google. They get an additional 10 percent discount as well

I have been using it since the beginning of the year. No complaints at all. Recently got updated to Android 13 as well.
Old 30th August 2022, 10:00   #31793
BHPian

Quote:
While browsing through Amazon/Flipkart for the past few days I came across the much discussed Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G. I was very intrigued by this phone since most of the reviews raved about it's well-balanced nature, I also went through most of the posts in this thread about the phone. I know, its almost a 2yr old model now but at the mouth-watering price of 30K it still makes a good case for itself even today. For me the priorities are Camera, Performance (not gaming), 5G support and Battery life. So to all the Galaxy S20 FE 5G users, could you please let me know how's the phone performing currently? I read that the new Android 12 bought few issues/bugs, did Samsung fix them with updates yet? Would you suggest the phone currently to be used until the end of 2024 at-least?
Hey Funny, guess we are in the same boat. I had an aging Redmi Note5 Pro (Please, don't judge me on this, haha), for the past 4 years working absolutely fine, but then I dropped it one day and the screen got cracked, still, I was using the phone for more than 6 months without any issues.

I looked at different phones in Samsung like A53, A73, S20FE 5G & S21FE 5G, Pixel 6A from Google, and the Nothing Phone 1. I had a psychological budget of 30k, anything above I was sure of not getting it. Going through multiple reviews of all the above phones quoted, dropped Nothing Phone 1 (due to initial glitches), Pixel 6A (not really worth 50k).

I was really impressed with the specs of the S20 FE 5G, which I am sure you are well aware of, it has all the flagship features including Samsung Pay. I sat on the decision for a couple of days, scrolling through Amazon multiple times, I think the algo got fed up and gave me a 2k discount coupon, which sealed the deal and I bought it immediately, 20 days back.

The phone is performing really well, it was a Sep '21 model and it had updates in the range of 6GB, it's on the latest July '22 security patch and on Android 12, I don't care if there are any more updates for this phone. The camera is no short of an S21 Ultra, the battery lasts a day for me with regular social media apps, even when connected to BlueTooth devices like SENA. I just love the display, it's eye-pleasing, and the picture quality is top-notch, I use it at a 60Hz refresh rate. Haven't come across any bugs as such in my usage till today. Overall, I feel this is the best phone to get at a 30k budget.

Last edited by FURY_44 : 30th August 2022 at 10:01.
FURY_44 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:35   #31794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Choosing a new Android phone in the sea of Android phones available in our market is a daunting task.
True.

If you are not brand averse, I recommend looking at the Xiaomi 12 Pro 5G. It is expensive. I've come to realize that when Xiaomi do a top of line device, they do it really well. I use a MI 9. Was a flagship device a while back. Almost flawless operation for the last 3 years. This was not a perfect device. They played cheap on the audio front and some aspects of the camera. The new 12 Pro is on a different level. Every component and part on the phone, including the body is top notch. I sampled this phone at a store so the recommendation is not based YouTube reviews.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:59   #31795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
True.

If you are not brand averse, I recommend looking at the Xiaomi 12 Pro 5G. It is expensive. I've come to realize that when Xiaomi do a top of line device, they do it really well...
Still stuck with USB 2.0 and no card slot for storage. No MHL support either, I'm guessing. This is all I'm able to figure out as a disappointed past user of a Xiaomi phone. I'm sure they would have similarly cut corners in other areas, unfortunately those in the know (from the industry) don't comment in public forums, censorship in the "free world" is strictly enforced. Reviewers also don't like to point out some of these "hidden features" as they are dependent on the goodwill of the manufacturers for early samples and other benefits. "Flagship" is a relative term.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:29   #31796
BHPian

Have been using Samsung Galaxy 'S' series.
All my cellphones S2 - S4 - S7 - S9 and now S21FE 5G.
Mostly have gone in for exchange so no digital clutter and easy for transition.
Since my one of my hobbies is photography so my choice is more photography oriented cellular.
Obviously can't compare to DSLR but then each has its own plus and minus points.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20220828_125618.jpg  

ACMerchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 14:01   #31797
BHPian

Guys, my redmi note 8 pro is on it's last days. I'm looking for decent feature loaded phone under budget of ₹30,000. I can very well afford iPhones and the Galaxy S, but I do not feel the need to invest so much money on a phone ! Any phone is bound to feel old in 3 - 4 years of usage with performance throttling issues.

With that sorted, I'm looking at Motorola G82 5G and Motorola Edge 30. Both these phones match my requirements - good screen, light weight and stock UI. The first two requirements are non negotiable. Current phone - redmi note 8 pro weighs in at 223 gms !
Feels like I'm carrying a brick in my pocket

I'm unable to decide which one to get. How is the battery performance on the Edge 30 ? Any real world reviews would be great help !
Old 30th August 2022, 15:23   #31798
BHPian

Quote:

While browsing through Amazon/Flipkart for the past few days I came across the much discussed Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G.
I think you can look at Motorola Edge 30 pro. it looks good and have all the traits of a flagship at about half of the cost of other flagship models.
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 15:27   #31799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I'm unable to decide which one to get. How is the battery performance on the Edge 30 ? Any real world reviews would be great help !
Nothing phone 1 might be a good fit too. 34k on flipkart and 1k discount oh cards can sweeten the deal to 33k.
Nicky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 16:24   #31800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Try Vivo as many of my acquaintances are using and has superb specs also near to the budget you mentioned.
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed