Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2022, 04:00   #31906
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you! Went through all settings over the weekend, man! Don't see this option at all. Running Android 12 on Samsung Flip. Any other solutions?
Verified on Samsung running Android 12:
Go to Settings -> Apps -> Select the App you want -> Battery (under Usage heading)-> Select Unrestricted
anks_at is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:46   #31907
Oxy
BHPian

Wife needs to upgrade from her aging Oneplus 7T. Two important criteria that she's looking at:

1. Lightweight and good ergonomics.
2. 256GB of internal storage.

A couple of Motorola phones seem to meet the first requirement but not the second. The Samsung S21 FE seems to be a good option, but since I use an S20 FE 5G myself and am not happy with it's battery life, I think the 21 FE will be similar if not worse on that front.

Any reviews on the Samsung A73? Seems very expensive for what it offers and am not sure how heavy it is.

Anything else that I can look at? Wife strictly does not want an iPhone.
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:53   #31908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Wife needs to upgrade from her aging Oneplus 7T. Two important criteria that she's looking at:
The Samsung S22 fits these requirements so well. The only issue I see is the less-than-stellar battery life. The larger S22+ may offer better battery backup I guess.

The Pixel 7 is also a great option, but I think in India it comes in 128GB only.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 07:50   #31909
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The Samsung S22 fits these requirements so well. The only issue I see is the less-than-stellar battery life. The larger S22+ may offer better battery backup I guess.

The Pixel 7 is also a great option, but I think in India it comes in 128GB only.
Thanks. The Pixel 7 weighs close to 200g so it's anything but lightweight I am afraid. It will be even more heavier with a case.

Samsung S22 would have been a terrific option if it had better battery life as you said.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:30   #31910
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
We are looking for options for a feature phone that offers only Whatsapp and limited browsing functionality. The ask is to have a means to reduce the mobile usage as much as possible. Basically something like Nokia 6500 4G that's available only in the US on KaiOS. JioPhone 2 might seem to offer something to fit this requirement but can't find any being sold so that's a dead end. Any options/suggestions?

The other alternative is to put child locks on our phone which is something we are evaluating as I write this. If there's an app (even paid) that might help us on this, please do suggest.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd November 2022 at 12:34.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:44   #31911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
We are looking for options for a feature phone that offers only Whatsapp and limited browsing functionality. The ask is to have a means to reduce the mobile usage as much as possible. Basically something like Nokia 6500 4G that's available only in the US on KaiOS. JioPhone 2 might seem to offer something to fit this requirement but can't find any being sold so that's a dead end. Any options/suggestions?

The other alternative is to put child locks on our phone which is something we are evaluating as I write this. If there's an app (even paid) that might help us on this, please do suggest.
I use family link on my son's android, and he is utterly frustrated with it. It only allows apps that I approve. So far, he ahs access to whatsapp, duolingo and phone, rest all are either blocked, or provided for limited time during the day. Should serve your purpose.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:58   #31912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I use family link on my son's android, and he is utterly frustrated with it. It only allows apps that I approve. So far, he ahs access to whatsapp, duolingo and phone, rest all are either blocked, or provided for limited time during the day. Should serve your purpose.
Please share more details. This sounds like something I could use for my kid too.
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:12   #31913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Please share more details. This sounds like something I could use for my kid too.
Essentially you need to set up parental controls on your child's google account, and install family link on your phone.
Once done, any app installs, app usage have to be done with the parent's approval. You can set up the app to block any app completely, or put in time limits on them etc.
See here:
https://familylink.google.com/

Its a pretty comprehensive parental control thingummy.
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:26   #31914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Essentially you need to set up parental controls on your child's google account, and install family link on your phone.
Once done, any app installs, app usage have to be done with the parent's approval. You can set up the app to block any app completely, or put in time limits on them etc.
See here:
https://familylink.google.com/

Its a pretty comprehensive parental control thingummy.
Thanks.

Is there a solution for enabling controls on a child's Android phone, while a parent controls it via her iPhone?
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:32   #31915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thanks.

Is there a solution for enabling controls on a child's Android phone, while a parent controls it via her iPhone?
I dont know, as I am completely on android ecosystem.
But google says:
Does Family Link work with iPhone?
Can parents use Family Link on iOS? Yes. Parents can run Family Link on iPhones running iOS 11 and higher.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 14:10   #31916
BHPian

Quote:

Anything else that I can look at? Wife strictly does not want an iPhone.
What price range are you looking for?

Nothing phone does come for 35k for the 256gb model - it offers clean experience, excellent haptics, good screen and a power efficient processor.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 15:33   #31917
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
What price range are you looking for?

Nothing phone does come for 35k for the 256gb model - it offers clean experience, excellent haptics, good screen and a power efficient processor.
Thanks, but again, 194g does not exactly sound like a lightweight and easy to handle phone.

I can spend upto 40k but lower the better.
Old 2nd November 2022, 16:24   #31918

Quote:

You should consider the realme GT master edition. It fits the criteria and is a premium midrange phone.

Last edited by manson : 2nd November 2022 at 16:51.
BRZRKR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 20:29   #31919
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZRKR View Post
You should consider the realme GT master edition. It fits the criteria and is a premium midrange phone.
Not available anymore. It's been discontinued I reckon.
Old 2nd November 2022, 20:45   #31920

Quote:
Not available anymore. It's been discontinued I reckon.
It isn’t discontinued yet as realme still lists it on their website with a purchase option. I see it is available to purchase on flipkart as well. Availability could be limited based on delivery pincode. You could try an alternative address for delivery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks