Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 09:47   #1
BHPian

problem with LAN connection

I have a DLink adsl router connected by USB to one computer and by LAN to the 2nd PC. Suddenly PC no. 2 does not get internet. It's not the router since the 1st PC is on the net. It's not the cable since if I connect it to a laptop, I can go online.
Changed TCP/ip settings, did a winsock fix, all to no avail. I have the latest avast antivirus, and it showed no virus. I'm about to get a separate lan-card, when after seven hours of effort and sweat, the PC no.2 starts accessing the net.
What gives?
Old 18th June 2010, 10:07   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I have a DLink adsl router connected by USB to one computer and by LAN to the 2nd PC. Suddenly PC no. 2 does not get internet. It's not the router since the 1st PC is on the net. It's not the cable since if I connect it to a laptop, I can go online.
Changed TCP/ip settings, did a winsock fix, all to no avail. I have the latest avast antivirus, and it showed no virus. I'm about to get a separate lan-card, when after seven hours of effort and sweat, the PC no.2 starts accessing the net.
What gives?
In that seven hours, didn't you restart your computer? Because for USB this is goofup of driver when LAN is accessed through USB, and if it is not connected fasted USB port of MB. Just power cycle.

First give static IP for network like 192.168.1.150 or something. Gateway 192.168.1.1 net mask 255.255.255.0, DNS from opendns.

At least ping to 192.168.1.1 must work.

if not then look at router if allow list (of MAC) is implemented. If yes then disable it as you are using wired network only.

Restart both router and computer. If it works then give it a try with DHCP of router.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
In that seven hours, didn't you restart your computer? Because for USB this is goofup of driver when LAN is accessed through USB, and if it is not connected fasted USB port of MB. Just power cycle.

First give static IP for network like 192.168.1.150 or something. Gateway 192.168.1.1 net mask 255.255.255.0, DNS from opendns.

At least ping to 192.168.1.1 must work.
I restarted several times.
The problem finally resolved itself, but I don't know why.

PC 1 which is connected to USB had no problems. It was only PC 2, connected through LAN, that had no net access.
Ping did not work either.

Last edited by filcord : 18th June 2010 at 12:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks