Team-BHP - 3G - Delhi - MTNL any good?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   3G - Delhi - MTNL any good? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/84724-3g-delhi-mtnl-any-good.html)

Just curious if anyone here is using the MTNL 3G service with their cellphones.

What kind of speeds are available?

Coverage in/around south delhi/gurgaon - Okhla/Def Col/Saket/Sainik Farms etc.

A fellow bhpian - Abhik - is about to throw away his MTNL 3G connection. You can PM him for further information.

The biggest problem with MTNL in the NCR is sporadic coverage. We have an MTNL connection (which I'd picked up before I went to Leh last year) - coverage is pathetic in Gurgaon & even in Delhi. We rarely use it till such time we head out of town to the BSNL areas - and then it holds its own!! I don't think 3G will be very much better.

Suman is right, I have a BSNL 2g and when I am driving from Jaipur to Delhi, I loose signal for about 5kms or so around NH8 close to Mansesar. This has been happening for the last so many years and no action has been taken.

Even while roaming in Gurgaon, there is full signal but a lot of times calls can not be completed ( dont know if its beacuse I am on roaming then)

In Delhi 90% of the times the signal is good and voice clarity is ok (except some places where there are signal jammers)

IMO Only good thing about MTNL is that its cheap and most of the times in far flung locations you would find a BSNL tower atleast.

I ahve a 3g conection and recently the service has drastically gone down. The people say my cell is switched off or outside the coverage area while I am very well at the same location I was about 5 minutes back talking on my cell phone. Another wierd thing is that the caller says I didnot pick up the phone while it didnot even ring in the first place. Net downloads are pretty fast though. When ever the connection does go through I ahve had no issues of voice clarity though at times the call does get dropped. But over all not entirely bad and the video calls are also very crisp and clear.

In simple words - DO NOT EVEN THINK OF !! unless and untill pvt. players enter into the competition.

Totally disagreed.please:

My MTNL 3G rocks (had a postpaid and prepaid). I use it for phone browsing and as a modem with my laptop.

Getting 2mbps download speed 0.2mbps upload speed (as per speedtest.net) laptop browsing after 9pm.

Earlier there was a problem with MTNL 3G. I had to call 100+ times Customer Care, visited Nehru place and CGO Sanchar Haat. (This was with my MTNL prepaid 3G connection used by wify, mine is a post paid) It was a hell like, then suddenly on May end MTNL announces free migration to 3G for all subscribers. Then onwards both our connection always put a WOW on our face. What a charm to watch Youtube videos in Opera Mini.:D

My MTNL TARIFF PLAN - 3G Jadoo Pay Per Second

Handset - Sony Ericsson W760i

Location - Khanpur

NB: I agree 100% to wanderernomad on call dropping and other issues

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by myavu (Post 1963711)
Location - Khanpur

So are you saying that you are getting excellent coverage all over the NCR or are you getting it only at Khanpur?

I can say at Khanpur, CP and Gurgaon - near IFFCO Chowk. (When connected to laptop)

In phone, it is available where ever I go in South Delhi & MG Road/Mall Road Gurgaon

Coverage issues are not bad. Plus as I said its very good for browsing. During my last vacation I used it as a modem and the speeds were excellent. But when you consider it solely for say telephony I would say look elsewhere, but if you are looking for all the extras then stick with it or even buy one, its not all that bad. You soon learn to live with the hiccups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myavu (Post 1963814)
In phone, it is available where ever I go in South Delhi & MG Road/Mall Road Gurgaon

So I can't figure what you meant when you said that you totally disagreed:)

To me, the NCR covers much more than South Delhi & Mall Road in Gurgaon. As I mentioned, the coverage is extremely sporadic in the NCR for people who use it for telephony. And the call drops can be extremely annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 1963860)
So I can't figure what you meant when you said that you totally disagreed:)

To me, the NCR covers much more than South Delhi & Mall Road in Gurgaon. As I mentioned, the coverage is extremely sporadic in the NCR for people who use it for telephony. And the call drops can be extremely annoying.

I am talking about the places I had traveled and traveling daily/weekly and I repplied to the 3G service part (that was the query)

Rest I don't know... Overall I am a satisfied customer of MTNL 3G (at time call drops annoys). Excellent roaming coverage under BSNL network. And cheap rates.

@ Speeding@160mph Just go for it!

Regards

Vinu

MTNL and BSNL are good, but God help you if you have a problem. Do not expect and support. Wait for the provate players, or go through the EVDO route on CDMA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 1964016)
MTNL and BSNL are good, but God help you if you have a problem. Do not expect and support. Wait for the provate players, or go through the EVDO route on CDMA.

I dont understand why we need to have an aversion against BSNL/MTNL. I am using BSNL 3G, and its been quite good so far. I dont think they are anyway near the best, but in terms of speed, i have got around 3.2Mbps burst and 2.8-3.0Mbps consistently.

Also- EVDO on CDMA has been a failure- never think of going that route..!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by myavu (Post 1963711)
Totally disagreed.please:

My MTNL 3G rocks (had a postpaid and prepaid). I use it for phone browsing and as a modem with my laptop.

Getting 2mbps download speed 0.2mbps upload speed (as per speedtest.net) laptop browsing after 9pm.

Earlier there was a problem with MTNL 3G. I had to call 100+ times Customer Care, visited Nehru place and CGO Sanchar Haat. (This was with my MTNL prepaid 3G connection used by wify, mine is a post paid) It was a hell like, then suddenly on May end MTNL announces free migration to 3G for all subscribers. Then onwards both our connection always put a WOW on our face. What a charm to watch Youtube videos in Opera Mini.:D

My MTNL TARIFF PLAN - 3G Jadoo Pay Per Second

Handset - Sony Ericsson W760i

Location - Khanpur

NB: I agree 100% to wanderernomad on call dropping and other issues

Cheers!

I have been using the MTNL 3G on my HTC HD2 and the speeds simply rock. I am extremely happy with the browsing speeds.

However I am extremely dissatisfied with the roaming coverage, especially the data part.
On my recent trip to Ludhiana, while driving from Delhi I had good GPRS coverage till Ambala, but after that all the way up to ludhiana, while I was there and all the way back to Delhi I had no GPRS coverage. The moment I attempted to connect to the internet I used to get the error The remote computer has disconnected or The remote computer did not respond.
I tried rebooting my device several times, but of no avail. Even when I was back in Delhi the data did not work and when I restarted in Delhi it again started working like a dream.

During all the above time, I simply did not have any issues with the Voice and/ or Network coverage part.

I would please like fellow users to share their experience with regards to the roaming coverage on MTNL 3G.
I am not saying that I want 3G speeds all over India, but atleast the Data Service should work.
Calling up Customer Care, as everyone knows is like banging my head on a wall. :Frustrati

Recently my 3G has gone from bad to worse. I am unable to connect to the net despite over 2 months of troubleshooting by MTNL. I wonder why. It used to work ok before but now it doesnot even connect. I am using a prepaid connection, do i need to buy a data card or simply the regular trump topups should be enough?